Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ratpick posted:

This is really great! Thanks for making this, now that it's put together in a neat format I might run it for Halloween!

No worries! I also posted it in the Game Writing Workshop, so that it might go in that thread's OP for posterity (and people without archives).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I still wish there was a Monster Hunter RPG or supplement for another game or something.

I think /tg/ may have done something with this. Adapting the video game I mean.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DigitalRaven posted:

Based on what everyone put together in that thread, I kinda went a bit nuts.

Sanity & Sorcery (alternate link for non-Dropbox)

How's that look?

You've made one major mistake. The "Which Will..." table no longer includes Fix Everything. :colbert:

Other than that, it is awesome. [edit] Actually I wish the "score your number exactly" result could feed back into the name somehow, but I guess there isn't a good way to combine Sanity and Sorcery like "Laser Feelings".

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 9, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You've made one major mistake. The "Which Will..." table no longer includes Fix Everything. :colbert:

It's Cthulhu, if anything it should be "Azathoth eats the Earth regardless"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Other than that, it is awesome. [edit] Actually I wish the "score your number exactly" result could feed back into the name somehow, but I guess there isn't a good way to combine Sanity and Sorcery like "Laser Feelings".
You really don't think that Sane Sorcery works just fine?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I dunno, it sounds weird to me. Especially in the context of the subject matter. Also, it should just be "Fix Everything", its up to the players to interpret exactly what that means!

I wonder what other genres we could do a hack of L&F for. So far we've got Space Adventure, Fantasy Adventure*, Mythos and Cyberpunk. Western? Mecha (or would L&F cover this)? Maybe Metal Gear style crazy military poo poo? That last one could be interesting, Espionage & Action?

* I still wish the fantasy hack had used Magic & Might instead of Swords & Scrolls.

[edit] By the way, what did you use to make that Digital Raven?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 9, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

You really don't think that Sane Sorcery works just fine?

I prefer Psycho Power tbh.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I dunno, it sounds weird to me. Especially in the context of the subject matter. Also, it should just be "Fix Everything", its up to the players to interpret exactly what that means!

I wonder what other genres we could do a hack of L&F for. So far we've got Space Adventure, Fantasy Adventure*, Mythos and Cyberpunk. Western? Mecha (or would L&F cover this)? Maybe Metal Gear style crazy military poo poo? That last one could be interesting, Espionage & Action?

* I still wish the fantasy hack had used Magic & Might instead of Swords & Scrolls.

007. Shaken or Stirred

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've done a couple of MGS/Deus Ex games already, an L&F hack wouldn't be too tricky. Quiet and Loud. When you're Quiet, nobody knows you're there because you're sneaky assassin person. When you're Loud, they know you're there. When you hit both (a Silent Explosion?), they know you're there for long enough to wonder why their spleen is on the outside.

Everyone who has ever made a game will hate me: I used Keynote. My work machine doesn't have the software load of the computers I do game design on, so I picked the nearest thing to hand that handles text boxes and neat alignment.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So I've been thinking of stuff recently. Namely some good superhero tabletop RPGs.

The one I have the most experience with is Mutants & Masterminds, although I've considered looking around for others. First and foremost I'm gearing for a good system to play in: I heard great things about Aberrant, but it's modeled off of White Wolf's Storyteller system and inherits a lot of its problems. I have physical copies of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and it seems quite swell; sadly I did not get the PDF copies while I had the chance so its usefulness on Roll20 games is diminished unless my other players have them. I own Villains & Vigilantes but from a read of it it focuses a lot on random die tables for character and superpower creation, and I feel that my players would prefer more freedom in creation.

I heard of Champions/HERO, namely in that it's as rules-heavy as D20 D&D if not more so, and right now I don't think I'm really game for that.

Savage Worlds has a Superhero Companion and Necessary Evil setting, which got great reviews but has questionable balance. While playing a Deadlands game we discovered some probability problems with exploding dice among easy ways to impose the shaken condition with Charisma buffs.

I have nil experience with the Godlike and Wild Talent RPGs.

What are folks' thoughts overall?

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 9, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That is ok, all I've ever used is Open Office and Google Drive. In fact, I just learned google drive can't even do columns on documents.:psyduck:

Speaking of which I already banged some/most of it out in plain format since I'm bored as hell right now. Having trouble thinking of some of the styles/roles and the random table (Which I admit is most of the work on a L&F hack).

code:
A THREAT…
1. Terrorists				2. A Rogue Special Forces Unit
3. Communist Holdovers			4. A Military Dictatorship
5. 					6. 

WANTS TO…
1. Destroy / Corrupt			2. Steal / Capture
3. ???					4. Protect / Empower
5. Build / Synthesize			6. Pacify / Occupy

THE…
1. World Leader				2. Prototype Bipedal Robot
3. Nuclear Weapons			4. National Landmark
5. 					6. 

WHICH WILL…
1. Start a War/Invasion			2. Destroy a city
3. Crash the global economy		4. 
5. 					6. Fix Everything

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
OpenOffice is dead and has massive security holes; if you didn't mean to say "LibreOffice" you should probably switch to that like, right now.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Try this:

code:
A THREAT…
1. Terrorists				2. A Rogue Special Forces Unit
3. Communist Holdovers			4. A Military Dictatorship
5. True Patriots			6. The Government

WANTS TO…
1. Destroy / Corrupt			2. Steal / Capture
3. Overthrow / Subvert			4. Protect / Empower
5. Build / Synthesize			6. Pacify / Occupy

THE…
1. World Leader			2. Prototype Bipedal Robot
3. Nuclear Weapons			4. National Landmark
5. Satellite Codes			6. Research Facility

WHICH WILL…
1. Start a War/Invasion		2. Destroy a city
3. Crash the global economy		4. Put the Illuminati in Charge
5. End the world			6. Fix Everything

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

In fact, I just learned google drive can't even do columns on documents.:psyduck:
What's more, this is a very basic functionality that people have been requesting/demanding for years. They'd still rather gently caress around with the goddamn UI than figure out how to add a feature that practically every word processor ever made has had.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

drrockso20 posted:

okay people sell me on Spirit of 77, contemplating getting it and it's supplements cause it looks really neat, but I've already spent a decent amount of money on RPG stuff this month, so I want to be certain of it before I go ahead and spend 30 bucks on getting all that

You can play a bigfoot who drives a Bigfoot monster truck.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Helical Nightmares posted:

I don't know about the edition differences. Mutant Chronicles really is a less detailed 40k ripoff. It's focused on the solar system, has meagacorps sort of like Shadowrun, and one of the megacorps (Cybertron) might actually be a front for the Chaos Gods Dark Symmetry.
I just ask because the Infinity RPG Kickstarter released a quick start, and I actually found the system really interesting, and found it because they use the same system. It looks interesting, and I like the art style a lot, and the book is huge (500 pages), so I feel I could get an understanding of the system and maybe find a cool setting I never knew about. I was just wondering if anyone here Kickstarted it or has it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That is ok, all I've ever used is Open Office and Google Drive. In fact, I just learned google drive can't even do columns on documents.:psyduck:

Speaking of which I already banged some/most of it out in plain format since I'm bored as hell right now. Having trouble thinking of some of the styles/roles and the random table (Which I admit is most of the work on a L&F hack).

My brain. I cannot shut it down.

Shaken & Stirred

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Libertad! posted:

So I've been thinking of stuff recently. Namely some good superhero tabletop RPGs.

The one I have the most experience with is Mutants & Masterminds, although I've considered looking around for others. First and foremost I'm gearing for a good system to play in: I heard great things about Aberrant, but it's modeled off of White Wolf's Storyteller system and inherits a lot of its problems. I have physical copies of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and it seems quite swell; sadly I did not get the PDF copies while I had the chance so its usefulness on Roll20 games is diminished unless my other players have them. I own Villains & Vigilantes but from a read of it it focuses a lot on random die tables for character and superpower creation, and I feel that my players would prefer more freedom in creation.

I heard of Champions/HERO, namely in that it's as rules-heavy as D20 D&D if not more so, and right now I don't think I'm really game for that.

Savage Worlds has a Superhero Companion and Necessary Evil setting, which got great reviews but has questionable balance. While playing a Deadlands game we discovered some probability problems with exploding dice among easy ways to impose the shaken condition with Charisma buffs.

Look up Hideouts & Hoodlums, a Golden Age Superheroes & Pulp Fiction game based on Swords & Wizardry, it's really well made, also one of the only Superhero RPG's to use a class system and not suck, as a bonus it's dirt cheap to acquire

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Libertad! posted:

Throwing it out there, but there are two powered by the apocalpyse superhero games you could take a look at:
Worlds In Peril goes for bronze age superheroing. It's good, but it suffers in some areas.
Masks goes Teen Titans, Young Justice, and the such. While still in beta, I think it's the better of the two, but it is a little hyperfocused. That said, it's hyperfocus is why it's good.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just ask because the Infinity RPG Kickstarter released a quick start, and I actually found the system really interesting, and found it because they use the same system. It looks interesting, and I like the art style a lot, and the book is huge (500 pages), so I feel I could get an understanding of the system and maybe find a cool setting I never knew about. I was just wondering if anyone here Kickstarted it or has it.

I kickstarted it and ooh whee is it dense. The book actually covers multiple eras of play and yeah it is kinda derivative at times especially if you're big into 40k but it still has some neat ideas.

I'll admit I have a soft spot in my heart for MC though because I have fond memories of playing the boardgame as a kid.

Also I just now remembered that I backed that at the 'all the PDF' level so I'll probably run a game of it here or on roll20 eventually.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, two pretty high-profile Finnish RPG companies, Myrrysmiehet and Ironspine, have released the first of their collaborations: Cthonian Highways. It's basically Lovecraft meets Mad Max.

It's also meant to act as a demo of their new Ironcore Engine RPG system. Based on the few previews I've read the system's not really anything to write home about : it's a d20-based system with some twists on the traditional formula, but nothing ground-breaking. I'm mainly interested in this for the fusion of genres and the setting. Might be cool.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

There was also Cthulhu Apocalypse put out by Pelgrane for Trail of Cthulhu, which is about trying to survive in a setting where the Old Ones wrecked everybody's poo poo. It probably isn't for those looking for something like Mad Max - it's more reserved, more straight up post-apoc Call of Cthulhu than doing wheelies up the backs of cthonians or anything - but it is well-done for what it is.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Been giving it a cursory read and it seems interesting, if not at all ground-breaking.

The basic skill resolution mechanic is d20+skill modifier versus difficulty rating. There are only three difficulty ratings, 10, 15 and 20, which I actually like, because it means a narrower range of numbers and no inflation of numbers.

There's also four stats, which actually don't affect skill ratings or checks at all, but serve a double function as hit points and a resource that players can spend to boost skill tests related to that stat. For an example, the Body stat governs the Athletics, Fighting, Strength and Survival skills, so when rolling any of those skills the player can elect to strain that ability for a boost. This is called Pushing, and it basically gives you an extra d20 to roll for each point of strain, and you pick the highest result.

My initial reaction to hearing that the game would have stat-pools that you use as hit points and resource was basically "Oh poo poo, it's going to have a death spiral," but after asking one of the designers he confirmed that the base stats are never actually rolled for anything: they only act as "hit points" and boosts to skill rolls, with all rolls being skill based. What this means is that you won't get shittier at fighting when you take damage, which I think is a pretty okay way to avoid the usual problems you get when you have stats serving double duty as hit points.

Anyway, as I said, it doesn't look revolutionary, but it still looks like it might be fun, so I'll refrain from any further criticism until I've seen how the game works when the rubber meets the road.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There was also Cthulhu Apocalypse put out by Pelgrane for Trail of Cthulhu, which is about trying to survive in a setting where the Old Ones wrecked everybody's poo poo. It probably isn't for those looking for something like Mad Max - it's more reserved, more straight up post-apoc Call of Cthulhu than doing wheelies up the backs of cthonians or anything - but it is well-done for what it is.

I don't care for the Trail of Cthulhu rules - GUMSHOE doesn't work for me - but the campaign is really well done.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mimir posted:

I don't care for the Trail of Cthulhu rules - GUMSHOE doesn't work for me - but the campaign is really well done.

IMO Trails of Cthulhu is the worst GUMSHOE system; it has a bunch of extra crap imported from Call of Cthulhu that just make the game more complicated without adding much.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Trails of Cthulhu is probably my favorite Lovecraftian investigative game, but that's damning a bit with faint praise, since I don't think much of Call of Cthulhu or Realms of Cthulhu or Call of Cthulhu d20. Yes, the added rules are fiddly, and the sanity system has essentially sucked in just about every game it's been clawhammered into, but the Trails version is the least sucky version of that sucky system.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Call of Cthulhu d20 is not a bad system - or rather, it's not that much more inadequate than BRP CoC. Plus its GM section should be mandatory reading.

Has anyone here read The Cruel Empire of Tsan Chan? I remember it being bizarre as hell and PCs being basically cultists of Hastur and Tsathoggua fighting a losing battle against Cthulhu's influence in the post-apocalyptic world.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Traveller posted:

Call of Cthulhu d20 is not a bad system - or rather, it's not that much more inadequate than BRP CoC. Plus its GM section should be mandatory reading.

Has anyone here read The Cruel Empire of Tsan Chan? I remember it being bizarre as hell and PCs being basically cultists of Hastur and Tsathoggua fighting a losing battle against Cthulhu's influence in the post-apocalyptic world.

Yes and it is quite creative. I like it but it is rough around the edges and a lot of the ideas are not as fully developed as I would have liked. For example I think it would have added to the book as a whole if they had character splats (specifically illustrations with good art) that went with some of the classes you could play like there are specific defense forces that fight Old Ones in Egypt (iirc) and another defense force that fights them in the plane of Leng or something.

The book sort of verges on themes that Cthulhu Tech does better (ie a planet under siege, a lovely totalitarian government with magic, not the creepy Cthulhu Tech stuff). It is worth a read or a browse.

IIRC there were rules for a population being constantly under the stress of the Apocalypse and the stress of the Mythos. Grim as hell.

DigitalRaven posted:

My brain. I cannot shut it down.

Shaken & Stirred

:neckbeard: Holy poo poo. This is cool. Do a Bloodborne one please! :toot:

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 10, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So I found this posted on the Hp Podcraft Forums a year ago by user aasgier

quote:

I expect many Lovecraft fans will also have an interest in decadent literature and 19th century gothic atmosphere in general, so I'm just leaving this link to the download here so anyone who wants to give this a try can download, play and hopefully enjoy it. This game is sort of a Huysmans/Lovecraft mashup as far as the themes and atmosphere are concerned. Purple prose and literary references abound. The game is set in 19th century Paris where the protagonists are two decadent poets trying to outdo each other in decadence (by collecting occult books and binging on Absinthe and possibly contracting syphilis). The design of the board was inspired by Art Nouveau to get that lovely 19th century atmosphere. Rules are simple.

You can download it (.zip file containing PDFs of the board, cards and pieces, manual) here:

https://aasgier.wordpress.com/2014/11/02/la-bas-a-weird-and-literary-board-game/

quote:

All you need apart from the printable material are three differently colored tokens and one dice.

'La-bas' is a two player game where players attempt to become the most decadent poets of 19th century Paris, while being hunted by a supernatural entity. It was inspired by weird tales such as those by H.P. Lovecraft, Robert M. Chambers and Algernon Blackwood and by the lifestyles of decadent artists of the 19th century. And of course by the novel La-Bas by J.K. Huysmans.

This is how it should look after some cutting & pasting

quote:

Short description
- 2 player game
- Both players are being hunted by a supernatural entity, being found results in possession which changes the gameplay as long as the possession lasts
- The goal is to get the highest score
- A game can last between a few minutes to more than an hour
- Both luck and strategy play a part in the game
- More or less horror themed, but also quite funny (depending on your sense of humor of course)

A lot of work went into designing the game so I hope people will play and enjoy it. Recommended for Lovecraft fans, lovers of decadent literature, connoisseurs of the weird and people who enjoy 19th century atmosphere.

One of my next projects is a board game adaptation of Hodgson's The Night Land.. Grin
I'll get my coat

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This may not be the weirdest concept for a roleplaying game I have ever seen, but it's certainly in the top 5.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

:neckbeard: Holy poo poo. This is cool. Do a Bloodborne one please! :toot:

That might be a problem, since I have no idea what Bloodborne is and I daresay one would have to be more familiar than ten minutes with Google to write a decent hack for it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

That might be a problem, since I have no idea what Bloodborne is and I daresay one would have to be more familiar than ten minutes with Google to write a decent hack for it.

Not to mention that a super rules light RPG would preserve almost none of the Bloodborne feeling anyway.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

fool_of_sound posted:

Not to mention that a super rules light RPG would preserve almost none of the Bloodborne feeling anyway.

Yeah half of the 'fun' in Bloodborne is deciphering the incredibly dense rules.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah half of the 'fun' in Bloodborne is deciphering the incredibly dense rules.

I meant more in terms of tactical combat and resource management, but that too.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I think one of the main issues with a Bloodborne RPG, or any Souls tradgame for that matter, would be managing the imbalance of information that makes the series so fun. You have very little actual plot direction in any of the games, and are mainly guided by level design, with story discovery being entirely of your own accord. A lot of the feeling of mystery would be lost by the necessary structure of a traditionally GMed game, and the GM knowing everything the players don't also makes the GM's experience a whole lot less interesting than the players'.

Some potential solutions would be making it a full hexcrawl system, a GMless system relying on extensive randomization, or just paying homage to more specific parts of the game (Dark Souls 1 and 2 get a ton of mileage out of a tiny cast of speaking-role NPCs for example; this works great in dungeon crawls so you can eschew window dressing towns while still having minimal but memorable character interactions, but isn't great for social-heavy games). One of the things that makes Bloodborne/Souls interesting is that it's hitting a ton of pacing, mechanical, and tonal notes at once that just don't translate well outside of a video game.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 11, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I put this in the wrong chat thread, but let's talk HeroScape.

I broke out my old stuff, and my kids and I are 'playing' it. (Actually, they are moving guys and rolling dice, then crying when their dragon dies, but still.)

So I looked online to see if I could get more, and holy poo poo, it's all insanely expensive.

I know it's a fun game, but hot drat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm kinda surprised that HeroScape isn't more popular than it is, given the whole collectable/easily expandable nature with a lot of replayability.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

For Dark/Demon's Souls, maybe Burning Wheel would be appropriate? The Combat scripting system is messy, uncertain, and punishingly lethal.

You could just let the players ressurect whenever they die and have major enemies use a set-in-stone handful of 3-action scripts so they could eventually learn the "tells" or something, I dunno.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm kinda surprised that HeroScape isn't more popular than it is, given the whole collectable/easily expandable nature with a lot of replayability.
Yeah, frankly me too. It's fun, collectible, looks great... Just really high quality all around.

e: It does look like some kind and enterprising souls have put up 3D printer files for most of the figures, though. If only I had a 3D printer!

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, frankly me too. It's fun, collectible, looks great... Just really high quality all around.

e: It does look like some kind and enterprising souls have put up 3D printer files for most of the figures, though. If only I had a 3D printer!

I think there's a service that will print out minis for you at a not terrible price, like I sort of remember hearing about it via warhams folks.

• Locked thread