Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Error 404 posted:

I think there's a service that will print out minis for you at a not terrible price, like I sort of remember hearing about it via warhams folks.

I know the youtube group Funhaus had custom minis cut out by some third party service to do the D&D game they promised their fans they'd do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, frankly me too. It's fun, collectible, looks great... Just really high quality all around.

e: It does look like some kind and enterprising souls have put up 3D printer files for most of the figures, though. If only I had a 3D printer!

If I remember correctly the guys behind Infinity Blade 3 (Chair? Epic games?) linked to a service where you could get your character and its' specific equipment 3D printed. Everything was rendered in Unity.

I was looking at this place for some mass effect minis http://www.shapeways.com/product/WXV3LMNU2/frogan-blood-pack-15mm

Evidently you can also buy a Mr. Putin Buttplug for that special someone. In the "games" catalogue. Great.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 11, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
You're talking about Hero Forge, which apparently considers "East-Asian" to be a genre, along with "Fantasy", "Western", "Sci-Fi", and "Modern".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For Dark/Demon's Souls, maybe Burning Wheel would be appropriate? The Combat scripting system is messy, uncertain, and punishingly lethal.

You could just let the players ressurect whenever they die and have major enemies use a set-in-stone handful of 3-action scripts so they could eventually learn the "tells" or something, I dunno.

Whitehack would be perfect for it in my opinion, heck the sample setting included in it, White Curse is pretty similar in vibes to the Souls franchise and Bloodbourne

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

inklesspen posted:

You're talking about Hero Forge, which apparently considers "East-Asian" to be a genre, along with "Fantasy", "Western", "Sci-Fi", and "Modern".

As far as minis go, yes it is, because it's worth splitting off Mongolian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. historical minis from other categories for the sake of players.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For Dark/Demon's Souls, maybe Burning Wheel would be appropriate? The Combat scripting system is messy, uncertain, and punishingly lethal.

You could just let the players ressurect whenever they die and have major enemies use a set-in-stone handful of 3-action scripts so they could eventually learn the "tells" or something, I dunno.

That's a pretty cool idea actually.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So y'all need a punishing hex-/dungeoncrawl system with lots of mechanical complexity and an unforgiving setting? Maybe someting like Burning Wheel?

Let me tell you about our lord and saviour, Torchbearer. :v:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Yes, please do

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, quick question, how does one add in that bot that #badwrongfun uses to send messages and stuff to an IRC channel you admin?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 11, 2015

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

drrockso20 posted:

Look up Hideouts & Hoodlums, a Golden Age Superheroes & Pulp Fiction game based on Swords & Wizardry, it's really well made, also one of the only Superhero RPG's to use a class system and not suck, as a bonus it's dirt cheap to acquire

Covok posted:

Throwing it out there, but there are two powered by the apocalpyse superhero games you could take a look at:
Worlds In Peril goes for bronze age superheroing. It's good, but it suffers in some areas.
Masks goes Teen Titans, Young Justice, and the such. While still in beta, I think it's the better of the two, but it is a little hyperfocused. That said, it's hyperfocus is why it's good.

Thank you for both of your help. Masks looks quite cool, and I already have the free Book 1 of Hideouts & Hoodlums, so I might get the others.

Anyway, I sort of feel that we're really in for a new Age of Comics now. The "Modern" or Iron/Dark Age has lasted about 30 years now, and even the longest-running prior age (Silver Age) was only from the mid-50s to early 70s. A lot of the current crop of noticeable comics (Ms. Marvel, Batgirl, new Thor, etc) and the recent Marvel movies are a far cry from the Adventures of Liefeld Bloodpouch.

Aside from Covok's mention of Masks, is there any good layout/GM advice for the Millennial Age of Comics and its common trends, or any RPGs which incorporated more modern tropes than just Golden to 90s-Iron stuff? I own each Mutants & Masterminds book for the major Ages (Golden/Silver/Iron) and I found them to be quite good in exploring such material for authentic period games minus the horrible racism/sexism/etc.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 12, 2015

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What can people tell me about this? Because drat that art and setting make that 99€ tempting.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Libertad! posted:

Anyway, I sort of feel that we're really in for a new Age of Comics now. The "Modern" or Iron/Dark Age has lasted about 30 years now, and even the longest-running prior age (Silver Age) was only from the mid-50s to early 70s. A lot of the current crop of noticeable comics (Ms. Marvel, Batgirl, new Thor, etc) and the recent Marvel movies are a far cry from the Adventures of Liefeld Bloodpouch.

You're not alone. I think a lot of people draw a line between the 80's/90's Frank Miller through Image Comics stuff and the 00's comics that were really clearly a reaction to all that, like New X-Men, Authority, Planetary, whatever.

Given more time to think about it, I might even argue that the last 4-5 years have been another shift, between the diversity pushes, the increased focus on syncing up the comics with other forms of media, and the newer crop of indie stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's always hard to name this sort of thing while it's happening, but there have been a lot of recent changes- the Big Two embracing digital publishing, renewed calls and pushes for diversity, a move beyond "Everything supports our latest Big Crossover Event", etc.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Feet aren't nearly tiny/obscured enough.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Thank you for both of your help. Masks looks quite cool, and I already have the free Book 1 of Hideouts & Hoodlums, so I might get the others.

Aside from Covok's mention of Masks, is there any good layout/GM advice for the Millennial Age of Comics and its common trends, or any RPGs which incorporated more modern tropes than just Golden to 90s-Iron stuff? I own each Mutants & Masterminds book for the major Ages (Golden/Silver/Iron) and I found them to be quite good in exploring such material for authentic period games minus the horrible racism/sexism/etc.

I'm fairly certain that they call the 00s the "Modern era" though I really hope that isn't true and I'd much rather call it something like the "Unity Era," "the Neohero era" or the "Crossover Era" than something that dates itself immediately.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe I've just been playing waaay too much Crusader Kings 2 lately, but are there any RPGs focused playing a Ruler and/or his closest aides/councilors? Not really looking for suggestions in the sense I actually want to run something, just curiosity.

Isn't Reign somewhat like that? I know very little of it, tbh.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe I've just been playing waaay too much Crusader Kings 2 lately, but are there any RPGs focused playing a Ruler and/or his closest aides/councilors? Not really looking for suggestions in the sense I actually want to run something, just curiosity.

Reign is a little bit like that, but not really to the level I had hoped. You could pretty easily hack Ars Magica into something like that though; it has a ton of rules for running a town/estate, and there's no reason you couldn't play zero magi if you really wanted.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The thing I think most differentiates the current era of comics from the previous ones is how much fun many series now are, without falling into gag comedy. Just think of series like Fell's Five or Hawkguy, or even the Marvel movies. Way I remember it, used to be only Spidey cracked jokes, and even there the tone was much darker.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

King Arthur Pendragon, Ars Magica, the game I'm (slowly) working on.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

AD&D Birthright too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I stopped reading Cape trash from murricans since three years ago and it was the best decision I've ever had. Go read Franco-Belgian, Japanese or Southamerican comics yall

Galaga Galaxian posted:

King Arthur Pendragon is perfect for it, even more so if you use the Manor/Estate supplements.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

King Arthur Pendragon is perfect

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Of course.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I really should actually read all the Pendragon poo poo I've picked up over the years.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I would like to run the Pendragon campaign on here but it would be a bit of a project.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You mean The Great Pendragon Campaign? The one that covers 81 years and expects you to play most of them? The one that comes in a book twice the size of the main rulebook?

Sure, go for it :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I joined a Pendragon Great Campaign that was going for a year a few weeks ago and they are still almost at half of the timeline. Hell yeah!

e: Also my character got eaten by a Drake during a hunt last session and I'm now playing as his cousin, who got from the GM a high score on Hatred: Dragons.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kwyndig posted:

You mean The Great Pendragon Campaign? The one that covers 81 years and expects you to play most of them? The one that comes in a book twice the size of the main rulebook?

Sure, go for it :v:

It's a masterpiece, no joke.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Re: Pendragon

Grey Hunter did an Actual Play with his usual cast of maniacs and malcontents.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503410&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post406867195

Requires Archives.

I think this may be the only Actual Play of Pendragon on the net. :shrug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Re: Pendragon

Grey Hunter did an Actual Play with his usual cast of maniacs and malcontents.

This is the youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiCMaNybBuY

Grey Hunter also did an Actual Play of RoleMaster, which seems stunningly apt for a guy that played War in the Pacific one day at a time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTOy3IqhLY

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grey Hunter also did an Actual Play of RoleMaster, which seems stunningly apt for a guy that played War in the Pacific one day at a time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTOy3IqhLY

Holy poo poo. Only Grey Hunter man. Only Grey. :toot:

Seriously, we should pitch in and find a way to get him his own website or make a wiki of just Grey Hunter's productions.

------

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What can people tell me about this? Because drat that art and setting make that 99€ tempting.

Degenesis! :neckbeard: Degenesis owns. Well the setting owns. The system (prior to Degenesis Rebirth which you have linked to) I skimmed through and was somewhat let down by. And the included initial adventure (again edition prior to Degenesis Rebirth) was significantly lackluster and utterly did not showcase the elements of the world that make it amazing.

Hopefully in the next week I'll do a write up. For the price, worse case scenario, consider that you are buying two art books.

http://marko-djurdjevic.deviantart.com/

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 13, 2015

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I remember there being a terrible OSR game about the capital-B Brutal Dark Ages with extensive descriptions of how the nobles torture the peasants and how no one can read or travel because DARK AGES and also magic, I guess? Does anyone know what it's called?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lamentations of the Flame Princess?

Covok
May 27, 2013

IIRC, most historians like to avoid the term "Dark Ages" as it's become a misnomer as new historical discoveries have been uncovered.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Gau posted:

I remember there being a terrible OSR game about the capital-B Brutal Dark Ages with extensive descriptions of how the nobles torture the peasants and how no one can read or travel because DARK AGES and also magic, I guess? Does anyone know what it's called?
Circle of Hands I think.

Covok posted:

IIRC, most historians like to avoid the term "Dark Ages" as it's become a misnomer as new historical discoveries have been uncovered.
Kinda, basically everything that makes them the "Dark Ages" started either during the Crisis of the Third Century, under Diocletian, or in the chaos following the breakdown of the Eastern and Western Empires. So there isn't a clear dividing line between "Roman empire" and "Dark Ages", and one could argue that the time normally listed as "the Dark Ages" was a vast improvement over the late Western Roman Empire. So poo poo did get bad, but not quite as bad as people say, and it didn't have anything to do with some monolithic "civilization" falling.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Kinda, basically everything that makes them the "Dark Ages" started either during the Crisis of the Third Century, under Diocletian, or in the chaos following the breakdown of the Eastern and Western Empires. So there isn't a clear dividing line between "Roman empire" and "Dark Ages", and one could argue that the time normally listed as "the Dark Ages" was a vast improvement over the late Western Roman Empire. So poo poo did get bad, but not quite as bad as people say, and it didn't have anything to do with some monolithic "civilization" falling.

As I understand the other big issue with going THE DARK AGES is that it was the "Dark Ages" in this one shitpile of a hole that Europe was, while plenty of the rest of the world was having one golden age or another.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Gau posted:

Yeah, this sounds eerily like Circle of Hands, although it's not an OSR game. It's an old heartbreaker Ron Edwards dusted off and decided to publish. Because this world needs more games where constant pillage and rape is a flavourful setting feature.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Siivola posted:

Yeah, this sounds eerily like Circle of Hands, although it's not an OSR game. It's an old heartbreaker Ron Edwards dusted off and decided to publish. Because this world needs more games where constant pillage and rape is a flavourful setting feature.

While the kickstarter for Circle of Hands did basically present the game as such, Ron Edwards did back off of being this dumb and the end result was a game that was actually interesting in some ways and explicitly excluded 'pillage and rape' as a setting feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

To give Ron Edwards credit, I do remember him politely responding to people who felt the subject was uncomfortable, to people who felt it was in poor taste, and to people who just felt it wasn't interesting/boring/immature and adjusted the game's setting. So, I guess you can say he listens to his audience.

• Locked thread