Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
er? Seems like in every thread that mother theresa is mentioned in, goons have a meltdown about how she didn't follow good science and was actually bad. I have to assume this comes from some pop scientist thats popular with dorks. ? thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

it's christopher hitchens he dead now

Aug 4, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65JxnUW7Wk4

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
lmfao. knew it. thanks

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

she was totally in a bullshit episode too (source: me, in high school)

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
hitchens did nothing wrong

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im mother teseara

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

that is basically true, and this human being also died from cancer bc he hated himself so much he had to drink and smoke constantly

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

crazy eights posted:

er? Seems like in every thread that mother theresa is mentioned in, goons have a meltdown about how she didn't follow good science and was actually bad. I have to assume this comes from some pop scientist thats popular with dorks. ? thanks.

I think you know.
I think you're putting on your fucker mask!

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I think you know.
I think you're putting on your fucker mask!

i didn't know dude. i forget what thread it was in but goons were having meltdowns about momma T and i was like yup thats dawkins got in their brains. lol

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I think Hitchens was pretty smart; but then I wonder if he spoke with a different accent would I have still held that opinion? Rly makes u think

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
She only once more heard the voice of God, and she believed the doors of heaven had been closed and bolted against her. The more she longed for some sign of his presence, the more empty and desolate she became.

i'm out

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

crazy eights posted:

i didn't know dude. i forget what thread it was in but goons were having meltdowns about momma T and i was like yup thats dawkins got in their brains. lol

He was a butthole about bush stuff which was weird and he was an insane drunk but comparing him to Dick loving Dorkins WELL I NEVER.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

when ol hitch was like "kissinger is a monster and a war criminal!" i was like hell yea get him hitch!
when ol hitch was like "mother teresa is a monster and a piece of poo poo!" i was like holy crap i did not know that get her hitch!
when ol hitch was like "death to all muslims!!!" i was like :stare:

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Kuato posted:

I think Hitchens was pretty smart; but then I wonder if he spoke with a different accent would I have still held that opinion? Rly makes u think
he was a very bad neocon iraq war apologist but also he was spot on about mo terese, so :shrug:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
hitchens is a Good Atheist because he is dead

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

fyodor posted:

when ol hitch was like "kissinger is a monster and a war criminal!" i was like hell yea get him hitch!
when ol hitch was like "mother teresa is a monster and a piece of poo poo!" i was like holy crap i did not know that get her hitch!
when ol hitch was like "death to all muslims!!!" i was like :stare:

i tried listening to his biography a few years back and jesus it was just not good - i don't care how you feel about the man; love or hate him you'd be into his biography and they did a poo poo job on it

put it in perspective - i got more out of the dick cheney biography than from hitc

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say Mother Teresa was actually good

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Yeah, this sounds like someone who actually goes by what's in the bible. She may have been a bad person, but she was a model Christian.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

fyodor posted:

it's christopher hitchens he dead now

That's what happens when you gently caress with the G-man and the Jezus. Death cancer.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
There was a book by Hitchens, and film by Hitchens and some other guy, and a Penn & Teller: Bullshit! episode.

The basic arguments are:

1. Her missions didn't have adequate medical care, were staffed by untrained volunteers, and were unsanitary.

2. She visited some shady dictators.

3. The money she probably raised probably could have done more good if it was allocated more intelligently.

4. She was religious, and therefore a stupid human being bitch.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you know what

i liked bullshit

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

you know what

i liked bullshit

Solid show.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i don't care what that dude's goon house looks like either

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i liked the episodes that weren't about government policy

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i liked the episodes that weren't about government policy
The libertarianism felt really heavy handed at times and I stopped watching pretty early on.

I think it was late Season 1 with the anti-environmentalist "lol look at these hippies, see what happens when we ask them to petition against dihydrogen monoxide!" episode where they closed by saying basically everything was perfectly fine in the environment because someone from the Cato Institute said so. I really hope they ate their words on that.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
penn gillette is a grotesque inflatable, deftly manipulated by teller as the ultimate misdirection.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

tetsuo posted:

The libertarianism felt really heavy handed at times and I stopped watching pretty early on.

I think it was late Season 1 with the anti-environmentalist "lol look at these hippies, see what happens when we ask them to petition against dihydrogen monoxide!" episode where they closed by saying basically everything was perfectly fine in the environment because someone from the Cato Institute said so. I really hope they ate their words on that.

Libertarianism is completely helpless on environmental policy, it literally has nothing to offer. So a true believer like Penn Gillette has to pretend pollution it isn't a problem at all, because they have no other option.

But the fast food and teen abstinence episodes were good.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the time i watched this show coincided with the time i played eve online. i would often leave both running while i did laundry.

this was also the time i got depression and ate ice cream every day. coincidence?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Agag posted:

There was a book by Hitchens, and film by Hitchens and some other guy, and a Penn & Teller: Bullshit! episode.

The basic arguments are:

1. Her missions didn't have adequate medical care, were staffed by untrained volunteers, and were unsanitary.

2. She visited some shady dictators.

3. The money she probably raised probably could have done more good if it was allocated more intelligently.

4. She was religious, and therefore a stupid human being bitch.

lol no she purposely did these things because suffering is cool/holy

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

fyodor posted:

lol no she purposely did these things because suffering is cool/holy

I think that's covered under #4.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Penn's a rear end kinda and I do disagree with him on a good bit of stuff but he is still a charming dude despite himself. He looks really weird now that he lost all the weight, has this weird turkey snood like thing going on with his neck.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
All the bad things they say about her are true so I don't see why it matters where someone might have learned it. People still bring up Mother Theresa as if she is some sort of inspirational figure and since she isn't someone we should emulate it's only right that her reputation get torn down.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

tetsuo posted:

hitchens did nothing wrong

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

because someone I don't like said this other person is bad, that means the other person is actually really good

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dick Dorkins

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arian_Samurai posted:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say Mother Teresa was actually good
i'm p. sure "devil's advocate" is for proverbial use only

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Mother Theresa's fund did more to alleviate suffering than any of the new atheists ever did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Moridin920 posted:

you know what

i liked bullshit

It was pretty garbo after the 2nd or 3rd season when they ran out of things to debunk and started coming up with arguments like "College is bullshit because George Washington and Eminem didn't go to college and they were successful"

• Locked thread