Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
There was a book by Hitchens, and film by Hitchens and some other guy, and a Penn & Teller: Bullshit! episode.

The basic arguments are:

1. Her missions didn't have adequate medical care, were staffed by untrained volunteers, and were unsanitary.

2. She visited some shady dictators.

3. The money she probably raised probably could have done more good if it was allocated more intelligently.

4. She was religious, and therefore a stupid human being bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

you know what

i liked bullshit

Solid show.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

tetsuo posted:

The libertarianism felt really heavy handed at times and I stopped watching pretty early on.

I think it was late Season 1 with the anti-environmentalist "lol look at these hippies, see what happens when we ask them to petition against dihydrogen monoxide!" episode where they closed by saying basically everything was perfectly fine in the environment because someone from the Cato Institute said so. I really hope they ate their words on that.

Libertarianism is completely helpless on environmental policy, it literally has nothing to offer. So a true believer like Penn Gillette has to pretend pollution it isn't a problem at all, because they have no other option.

But the fast food and teen abstinence episodes were good.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

fyodor posted:

lol no she purposely did these things because suffering is cool/holy

I think that's covered under #4.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

The Whole Internet posted:

remember the thread where you said people hated mother teresa because they were white supremacists, only to learn that she was white?

that was p funny. i look forward to more a-grade agag material in this thread

Albanians are white?! Anyway that thread was about white supremacists making GBS threads on India. This is the thread about Mother Theresa and Penn Gillette.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

NotWearingPants posted:

She believed that human pain and suffering brought people closer to god so she helped people feel pain and suffer.

She said something like that, which is something I've heard from a number of Catholics who do charitable work or palliative care. Its a way of giving value to and dignity to a bad situation, even if you think its imaginary.

But if you're Christopher Hitchens this is your opportunity to tell your credulous fans that this means she was trying to create poverty in India because there wasn't enough of it. She "kept" them poor, which was definitely necessary otherwise they would all have become middle class at least.

NotWearingPants posted:

Because by denying them actual medical care they died quicker?

What medical care did she possess that she was denying them? Her facilities were places where the sick and poor could die in a bed, maybe with somebody watching over them and a little food and water. What would they have had otherwise? What were those people going to get from Christopher Hitchens or any New Atheist? "Learn to code then go to a nice hospital, fucker."

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

RabbitWizard posted:

drat, I hope I never get to be sick near you or those Catholics around you when i need some meds and you give me "dignity" instead.

I like this idea that they had a bunch of meds they were refusing to give ppl.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

I'm Crap posted:

she raised hundreds of millions of dollars, moron. she could have built and run a western-standard academic hospital if she'd wanted to do. she didn't, she hoarded all the money and only voluntarily spent it on anti-abortion and anti-birth control campaigns

i don't like the new atheists either but come on

The books were never opened, but this is indeed the convenient assumption. People who would never do anything to help another human being whining about they assume another person went about not helping other human beings effectively enough.

Also this usually crops up in 50-page threads of racial slurs for some reason. Its a mystery.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Phobic Nest posted:

Yeah seriously, like they'd ever order them in the first place.

If you got shot in the leg, Mother Theresa would look you in the eyes and step on the bullet hole. "You're closer to God now, bitch." She grinds her heel into the wound, obviously sexually excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

RabbitWizard posted:

I'm sorry your parents beat Christ into you and thus you feel the need to defend such a horrible human being :(

My parents weren't religious, they were Anglican.

• Locked thread