Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

manyak posted:

i dont know about that

It helps a bit in like, actual wrestling which is why lots of college wrestlers are midgets with giants necks but probably has negligible impact in actual MMA given you know the whole reach advantage thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Le Saboteur posted:

2 days to cut like 15 pounds. That is goddamn ridiculous.

weigh in is today, so its more like 1 day, to cut 13 pounds.

It can be done I guess, but thats just absurd. A lot of fighters are just going to have to move up.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CommonShore posted:

If the UFC has been forcing fighters to change divisions for promotional reasons - Lineker, Gastelum - they should also start forcing fighters to change divisions for health (ethical) reasons.

Hendricks to 185. Everyone will be happier. For even though I don't like him, I don't want to hear that Johny Hendricks dies in an attempt to make weight.

Like Kelvin though, I think Hendricks' issue is just he doesn't manage his weight between camps far more so than it is he legitimately belongs at welterweight. If he kept his diet under control I suspect his weight cuts would be much more reasonable.

E: he'd be pretty undersized at middleweight, the issue really is just he's carrying around more pudge than he should.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

2 days to cut like 15 pounds. That is goddamn ridiculous.

No, it isn't. Most dudes are cutting 20 in the last couple days.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

CommonShore posted:

If the UFC has been forcing fighters to change divisions for promotional reasons - Lineker, Gastelum - they should also start forcing fighters to change divisions for health (ethical) reasons.

It does have to be an objective rule, though. Some states are experimenting with weight class rules which could be interesting, but until that gets figured out, I'd just give every fighter maybe 2 chances in 5 years. If you miss weight twice in any 5 year period without a very good reason (eg, you got the flu and had to hydrate), then you must move up.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Did he ko chuck while we still thought that was a big deal I don't remember where in the order it came.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

Like Kelvin though, I think Hendricks' issue is just he doesn't manage his weight between camps far more so than it is he legitimately belongs at welterweight. If he kept his diet under control I suspect his weight cuts would be much more reasonable.

E: he'd be pretty undersized at middleweight, the issue really is just he's carrying around more pudge than he should.

If he puts himself in the hospital from a weight cut, no matter the leading causes, he shouldn't be in that division anymore. Like, if he completely overhauls his lifestyle and never goes above 185 between fights, etc etc, then great, let him fight at welterweight, but after this long and this many bad cuts and however many dietitians, do you really think it's going to happen?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Hendricks should be able to make 170 without any issue. He has the same issue Kelvin has. Between fights he gets fat as poo poo and then (probably) even during camp as some of that weight is coming off he's probably still not eating totally clean and he winds up starting his weight cut way too loving heavy.

If he kept his walk around weight in the 190's he would have no issue.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CommonShore posted:

never goes above 185 between fights

you could probably count the number of welterweights who don't go above 185 between fights on one severely maimed hand

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

acai moonsault posted:

Hendricks vs Woodley is off the card due to Hendricks weight cut issues. - @danawhite

I was really looking forward to that fight. Hendricks needs to stop being a fat gently caress that endangers his health and get serious about his conditioning.

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.
I didn't want to see either of them win so this works for me.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Did he ko chuck while we still thought that was a big deal I don't remember where in the order it came.

Yeah, it was considered an upset at the time

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

CommonShore posted:

If he puts himself in the hospital from a weight cut, no matter the leading causes, he shouldn't be in that division anymore. Like, if he completely overhauls his lifestyle and never goes above 185 between fights, etc etc, then great, let him fight at welterweight, but after this long and this many bad cuts and however many dietitians, do you really think it's going to happen?

Fighters that walk around at 185-190 are fighting at lightweight. Hendricks has bad cuts for the same reason Cormier nearly killed his kidneys in 2008: he's fat. If he wasn't so fat, he could make welterweight just fine.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

acai moonsault posted:

Hendricks vs Woodley is off the card due to Hendricks weight cut issues. - @danawhite

1st AD posted:

Woodley is hungrier, because he diets more than Hendricks. Because he's not fat and he doesn't own a steak house.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Fighters that walk around at 185-190 are fighting at lightweight. Hendricks has bad cuts for the same reason Cormier nearly killed his kidneys in 2008: he's fat. If he wasn't so fat, he could make welterweight just fine.

I know that Hendricks could theoretically make welterweight just fine, but at this point I think we have to assume he doesn't want to do what it takes to stay healthy and make the weight. So, whether a fighter can't make weight for physical or mental reasons, either way they gotta move up after they have too many problems.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

david carmichael posted:

taking down rampage seems a lot less impressive now than it did then, but that was still a cool combo

Insert glover's ankle pick on rampage here.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/2/9439841/johny-hendricks-forced-out-of-ufc-192-fight-after-being-rushed-to

Woodly is pissed. Tells Dana "gently caress you pay me" and wants a title shot now.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/2/9439841/johny-hendricks-forced-out-of-ufc-192-fight-after-being-rushed-to

Woodly is pissed. Tells Dana "gently caress you pay me" and wants a title shot now.

He's right.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I had a dream and in that dream Hendricks vs Woodley was boring as gently caress so thank you Johny Hendricks for being so fat

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

He should (and likely will) get paid but I dunno about getting a title shot off a canceled fight. Anyone that he can go against on the next card?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My friend is backing out of going to 194 cause ticket prices are way too high. Was really excited to go back there and finally see the match I went to 189 too see. I will probably just see wait 200 will be and attempt to go out for that one.

This day sucks.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

it was a big deal (chuck had just beat wanderlei in their really good fight), and it earned rashad a shot at actual champion forest griffin

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

quote:

He was rushed to the emergency room and had to be given an IV.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
According to Helwani, Hendricks is going to seriously think about moving to 185.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

never forget https://vine.co/v/MbF6v1h2uhv

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Northjayhawk posted:

According to Helwani, Hendricks is going to seriously think about moving to 185.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't wait for him to move to 185, get sparked and fade into irrelevancy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Time to go home, sit on the couch, stuff your face with cream cake and wonder aloud via Twitter why Carlos is getting a title shot

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Joe B vs Ali is being bumped to the main card. They are not making it easy for me to finish this GDT!

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

it was a big deal (chuck had just beat wanderlei in their really good fight), and it earned rashad a shot at actual champion forest griffin

also in that fight Rashad really didnt even look good, Chuck was deep into his completely retarded phase . rashad threw that right over and over and was getting clowned but chuck did that thing where hes like hey im winning that means I should stop defending myself and swing wildly

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
And Im glad Jhn Hendricks missed weight after bitching that he deserved a title shot :lol:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bundt Cake posted:

And Im glad Jhn Hendricks missed weight after bitching that he deserved a title shot :lol:

Same. The MMA gods are benevolent and funny.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CommonShore posted:

Hendricks to 185. Everyone will be happier. For even though I don't like him, I don't want to hear that Johny Hendricks dies in an attempt to make weight.

nah the UFC will just ban all coaching staff that aren't approved by UFC. Because that's the route they're going: All UFC everything.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

also in that fight Rashad really didnt even look good, Chuck was deep into his completely retarded phase . rashad threw that right over and over and was getting clowned but chuck did that thing where hes like hey im winning that means I should stop defending myself and swing wildly

yeah rashad was clearly in love with his overhand right and he never seemed to stop being in love with it ever after that

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bundt Cake posted:

I would've rather had the good fighter manage his weight and fight instead of not.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Seltzer posted:

I would've rather had the good fighter manage his weight and fight instead of not.

Lacks dramatic irony

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Same tbh. It's just disappointing more than anything.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

@KevinI: Just spoke with @danawhite and he said @TWooodley will get the title shot next, fighting Lawler-Condit winner. My post will be live soon.

@KevinI: Also, @danawhite said he considers @JohnyHendricks a middleweight as of now. @MarcRatnerUFC confirmed JH was 20-25 pounds over on Tuesday

Hardbody Jones fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 2, 2015

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Man people turned on Hendricks real quick. I remember when he was generally well liked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bluedeanie posted:

Same tbh. It's just disappointing more than anything.

I disagree. Hendricks humiliating himself with saturated fat mere days after his whining is way more entertaining than that fight would ever have been.

• Locked thread