Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Le Saboteur posted:

Uriah Hall just makes me anxious now because I'm just waiting for him to let us all down.

The trick is to assume from the get-go he's going to poo poo the bed and freeze up. That way he can only meet or exceed expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Shoulder dances are the big new thing in all the euro trash clubs, I can't believe we uncultured Americans are still getting lap dances. It's embarrassing tbh

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

If you apply old Batman logic to it, maybe she realized that side of her head was the strongest one so she wanted to draw her opponent's attention toward it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

acai moonsault posted:

Hendricks vs Woodley is off the card due to Hendricks weight cut issues. - @danawhite

gently caress this dumb earth

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Someone who knows more about bodies than me, are these complications due to his bad dietary/weight cutting habits or is it surprisingly unfortunate? I know the sorts of poo poo that cause kidney stones but "intestinal blockage" is vague to me.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

CommonShore posted:

If the UFC has been forcing fighters to change divisions for promotional reasons - Lineker, Gastelum - they should also start forcing fighters to change divisions for health (ethical) reasons.

Hendricks to 185. Everyone will be happier. For even though I don't like him, I don't want to hear that Johny Hendricks dies in an attempt to make weight.

Like Kelvin though, I think Hendricks' issue is just he doesn't manage his weight between camps far more so than it is he legitimately belongs at welterweight. If he kept his diet under control I suspect his weight cuts would be much more reasonable.

E: he'd be pretty undersized at middleweight, the issue really is just he's carrying around more pudge than he should.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/2/9439841/johny-hendricks-forced-out-of-ufc-192-fight-after-being-rushed-to

Woodly is pissed. Tells Dana "gently caress you pay me" and wants a title shot now.

He's right.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Joe B vs Ali is being bumped to the main card. They are not making it easy for me to finish this GDT!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Seltzer posted:

I would've rather had the good fighter manage his weight and fight instead of not.

Same tbh. It's just disappointing more than anything.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Discuss it further in the gdt

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744808&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

How is Ronda going to be able to deal with being the star of a hollywood production about her life if being misrepresented on TUF drove her mad for a while? Somehow I doubt it's going to be a zach snyder/watchmen style recreation of the boom.

"I'm not locked in this octagon with you," Kevin James said as he barfed onto Mayhem Miller's face. "YOU'RE LOCKED IN HERE WITH ME!!!"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

CHER

They say we're young and we don't know.
         We won't find out until we grow.
           ♪

NICK DIAZ

♪        Well I don't know if all that's true
              'Cause you got me
[Nick begins staring off to the side of the camera] up here like some kind of caged animal or whatever, it's like, i'm up here for this bullshit again being prodded for their amusement in their little kangaroo court with their microphones and people where i'm from don't do that poo poo, so it kind of puts me at a disadvantage having to come here, you know if we coulda done this in lodi where i know where the whole foods is and how to get around it might be different

No matter how hard I try
You keep pushing me aside
And I can't break through
There's no talking to you

- literally anyone responsible for communicating with Nick Diaz in any official capacity

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Bubba Smith posted:

a dramatic knockdown by the challenger (I believe the first time DC has been knocked down?)

How quickly we forget Rumble Johnson.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Aurain posted:

I can't even imagine what goes through Ryan Bader's head when he checks his Wiki page to make sure no one's added "master" to his nicknames again.

He's probably got a Google alert so he only needs to log in when he gets the email letting him know it's happened.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Seltzer posted:

I don't get why people hate Ryan Bader so much. I figure some of it is because everyone else is doing it, but really he's completely inoffensive and has ok fights. He's not outright bad or annoying.

He hasn't really had an entertaining fight that he won since 2013, his last six have all been grinding wrestlefests or tepid kickboxing matches. That said, despite having some bad flaws, anyone acting like he is not a legitimate higher-level LHW is either spiteful or just plain wrong.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

If you can learn one thing from these threads, it should be that some fighters are objectively cool and good and some are objectively bad and dumb

Also this applies to posters.

E: ps Duke Rufus says CM Punks debut will be delayed by a shoulder injury, which I think is a weird thing to announce seeing as he still never had a projected debut to delay.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Err it sounds like he's blaming Uncle Creepy for Del Rosario's death, and saying that "everyone" knows it's true but that FRB is the only one "brave" enough to speak up? Something about Creepy threatening him at some point, too?

He also linked this?

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/tuf-alum-holds-ian-mccall-indirectly-responsible-for-shane-del-rosario-s-death-040814

Everyone knows it is true but only I have the balls to stand up to a tiny tyrant such as yourself, here, on twitter *immediately posts nearly two-year-old article saying the same thing*

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It still won't hit 100 but it's wild to me that a Cher endorsement is worth 10,000 signatures on a meaningless mma petition.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Normally I find wild speculation regarding nuanced facets of a change in a fighter's training camp to be tortured, but honestly it beats a lot of the stuff we could be discussing in a two week UFC drought coming off a week card, so by all means tell me how rude TJ is or how buttchin hurt Faber must be.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I agree that women's mma, or at least w135 as it exists in the UFC, is currently in its pioneering days where the majority of the talent pool are people who got into fighting for a hobby because their boyfriends were fighters or coaches, which is a big part of why the physically gifted athlete who was born into an insane judo dynasty is leaps and bounds above all the rest in every single way.

I also think that due to Rousey's insane level of exposure and ability to raise money, she has likely already set in motion a wave of girls who will look up to her and start training seriously for its own sake from a younger age. We will reap this in the future.

Because of this, when in 10 years Ronda is retired and the division is firmly locked in the grasp of seven people who are Rashad Evans with titties passing the belt back and forth forever, you naysayers will all look back on this Era where most of the fights are at least entertaining with longing and self-loathing.

I know I am not saying anything other people havent before, but it's worth putting out there. Anyway Invicta is fun and the next card is in november so yall should watch it, have a nice Wednesday afternoon.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

MycroftXXX posted:

Call me crazy, but that doesn't seem sustainable.

Neither did Team Takedown, although I guess until Hendricks had his time to shine, they weren't really sustainable either.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

if he really is making significant amounts of money on his podcast i have no idea why he'd continue to be loving terrible in the octagon

I think the money came from the fact that he was able to parlay his podcast listenership into big sponsor checks for his fights moreso than actually earning a lot for the podcast itself, which obviously is not something he can do anymore and is why he was so outspoken to the Reebok deal.

Not that it makes his retirement any less good and pleasant for us.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Meowbot posted:

the punch that dropped him didnt look like a nything at all, was it the bod shots or the head kick before it that caused him to wilt from that punch? It looked like such a glancing blow I dont know how it did any damage.

I love watching joe duffy throw strikes, he has really good accuracy. I hope he fights conor one day and shuts him the gently caress up (I like conor but it would own if an irish man beat him).

If there's one thing history has taught us, it is being beaten down soundly and repeatedly by the same person or people will definitely cause an Irishman to shut up.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Meowbot posted:

it shames jme since im mostly of irish descent that I really dont know much of the history. What are you referring to if you dont mind me asking?

I know duffy has a long way to go before he is knockinbg on a title shot, but the guy has had consistently good fights and like I commented his accuracy is phenomenal. I like some of the new breed of fighters we're seeing with the UFC.

Still miss jones.

In the context of Ireland itself, the English mostly.

In the context of Americans of Irish descent, basically just everything about Boston in general.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

red19fire posted:

Speaking of which, Travis Browne just confirmed on the MMA Hour that he and Ronda are dating. So he can be added to the 'not even the best grappler in your relationship' burn list.

Also, Ronda's mom has some fun, cryptic tweets:

DrAnnMaria @DrAnnMaria
If all of your friends and family think someone is a douchebag, he's not misunderstood, he (or she) is a douchebag #adviceFromMom

Ronda's mom is cool.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Ditch posted:

-Hendricks blames the weight cut on venison, which he ate a lot because thought would be better for his weight than chicken and fish. :psyduck:
-Hendricks has no illusions about being competitive at middleweight unless he gets a lot better.

Depending on the cut of chicken and preperation of both meats, venison is actually leaner than chicken per ounce in terms of calories and total fat content. It is slightly higher in saturated fat and notably worse in cholesterol and those things probably have a pretty negative effect on weight loss, but I could see a doofus casually googling himself to the same conclusion.

E: the numbers cited are for venison that's been ground and pan-seered vs the ever-specific "chicken meat," which is very likely something high-calorie like skin-on thighs. I'm sure if you get specific and look at properly prepared chicken breast you get even more lean and there's just no comparison, and I refuse to believe venison is better for weight management than fish without even looking.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 12, 2015

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That relationship is going to fall apart as soon as he explains what he really meant about the time he saw Bigfoot and then had his memory mysteriously erased.

Let's talk about this good post, and not the man vs woman domestic violence post, a salted field from which nothing good nor meaningful may grow.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Ariel Helwani is a doofus but he's not even bottom ten.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Ronda thinks

https://youtu.be/hAAlDoAtV7Y

But really it's

https://youtu.be/vY_0Klwx3tE

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

mewse posted:

I'm glad Rothwell is trying to promote himself.. but it's funny how bad he is at it, vs a guy like Sonnen

Actually, if you look closely, you will see he owns and is great

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

fatherdog posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/mattmitrione/status/654006745535238144]

[url=https://twitter.com/RothwellFighter/status/654007535586922497]

lol

This logically ends with Ronda Rousey dating Ben Rothwell, and I support this.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

david carmichael posted:

Giving Duke any kind of credit for funky seems wrong to me

Yeah, the decorated Big 12/NCAA champion came into a kickboxing team as its wrestling coach and continued to dominate the b league competition through wrestling and not striking. He is living proof that Roufusport knows what it's doing.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is going to be awkward because the main job of the White House press corps is spinning poo poo.

Good poo poo.

Also lol at the person or two who seem to think Obama will actually be briefed on this any more than a memo saying "here's what the press secretary intern had to poo poo on this week."

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

I cannot wait to find out what really dorky hobby Joanna Champion has. I hope she's a keen Warhammer player or something.

Tolkien cosplay

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I'm Greg Jackson.

Real Conor seems pretty all right.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

He had to deal with Bill Murray for the majority of his working career, it's not that farfetched to assume impacted poo poo killed him slowly over time.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

i am biased against conor for sure. but i watched aldo / edgar without bias and aldo lost without a doubt in my mind so i don't mind arguing from that point of view,

I watched this fight with extreme bias FOR Edgar, and you are very wrong.

E to add more to the discussion: we can argue how, with wins in their next fights, McGregor and Cerrone would be top contenders for fighter of the year and probably be right. What I think is more interesting is that in the probable case neither of them win, it becomes much HARDER to determine who actually gets fighter of the year. Like Cormier came back and beat the two other best guys but he lost badly to the consensus true best light heavyweight, and Rousey trashes people but those people are bad, etc.

In that case I predict whoever wins in the goon vote will only do so by a single-digit margin.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 19, 2015

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

CommonShore posted:

A 3-0 Joanna has a better case than Cormier or Rousey. She basically created a division that people seem to enjoy watching and brought a title to represent a new market. Could even say that Werdum and Lawler have good cases, at 1-0, though Lawler-MacDonald is such a lock for fight of the year that the vote should be for the runner up.

Do we not have anyone on crazy winning streaks this year like Neil Magny was last year?

Never mind. Mark Hunt Fighter of the Year 2015.

But my point is it gets a lot more subjective than if McGregor or Cerrone (to a lesser extent imo) don't manage to win. Joanna will likely go 3-0 and it's not her fault she is not fighting Gadelha, but the fact still remains that she's fighting Valerie instead. That seems like unfinished business and people can use that to justify voting for someone else and not really be wrong.

I actually agree with you that Joanna would be a strong candidate, I'm just saying McGregor beating Aldo after beating Mendes and riding that much insane hype would feel like a pretty cut and dry choice, whereas if Aldo wins the choice becomes much more subjective and depends on what you value and what you choose not to worry about when considering your fighter of the year.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 19, 2015

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Lmao at someone beating mendes and aldo not winning fighter of the year

No one is saying this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Ok, no one who matters :smugbert:

• Locked thread