Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

RoyNelsonUFC posted:

Back from the doctor, hand is broke. Will heal up with the love & support of the Country Club Fans

Yowch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

prepare an alternate wishlist because with the way Rory MacDonald handled Woodley he's not going to have anything for Hendricks but a puncher's chance (which Hendricks also has)

I would actually be pretty interested to see Rory fight Hendricks once his skull/face is in fewer pieces.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Rashad is worse than bader. Rashad could win every second of that fight, then win with a leaping 3 ninjas kick

This is probably going to happen tbh

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheReverend posted:

So the fight becomes "wrestle" versus "don't wrestle" and DC is a much better wrestler than Gus is.

I mean, this is probably true, but if you look at their respective performances against Jones I don't think it's as big a slam dunk as people are assuming.

quote:

Also the size discrepancy in height makes it a lot easier for the smaller guy to wrestle the bigger guy (assuming the same weight class).

Nope

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

It's pretty telling that rashads only highlights in like 15 years are the head kick on Sean salmon and grabbing his dick after Forrest punched his arms a bunch.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

2 days to cut like 15 pounds. That is goddamn ridiculous.

No, it isn't. Most dudes are cutting 20 in the last couple days.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Well you see he's now a big "whiner" because he has the audacity to get upset after being robbed of victories. He's doesn't take his losses in stride like Brazilian fan favorites who only lose because they had to fly in business class or BJ penn who tried to prove that noted cheat GSP was slathered in coco butter before their fight by bringing his mother to testify in front of the NSAC.

Nog, Shogun, Penn, and Brazilians in general have been mocked far more and far longer for excuses on this board than Hendricks has.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

really though someone who knows what's what re: weight cuts was this a case of Johny being a lazy fat poo poo with his diet or something else that he couldn't account for?

There are a whole host of causes of both intestinal blockages and kidney stones. However, one of the possible causes for both of them is dehydration, and if Hendricks kept his weight down better he wouldn't have to dehydrate as much or as long.

So you can't say definitively that this was because of his weight between camps, but it does seem likely that it wsa a factor.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Re: "the people walking around at 185-90 are fighting at 155" - didn't GSP claim that he walked around at 185 to fight at 170?

According to Firas Zahabi, GSP was walking at 185 for most of his career but towards the end they put specific work in to putting on more muscle, and around the time he fought shields he was 195 or so.

GSP is also probably way more assiduous than most fighters about working out and staying lean in between camps.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mmafighting posted:

Following a Globo report, which stated that Dillashaw had parted ways with Team Alpha Male, Dillashaw provided the following exclusive statement to MMAFighting.com:

"In regards to my upcoming fight camp, I will be doing my training in Colorado. The last six years at Team Alpha Male have been irreplaceable and my brothers there will forever be family to me. I thank each and every one of them for helping me along the way and being a part of this journey we've shared. This is not the end of being a part of the Team Alpha Male family, but a new chapter in my career.

"I will be spending my next full training camp with Team Elevation as they've offered me an opportunity that I couldn't pass up, with an incredible coaching staff and state of the art facilities.

"I want to thank everyone for the continued support as this has not been a decision I've taken lightly."

Dillashaw's striking coach Duane Ludwig isn't a part of the team, however, Dillashaw will still be training with him since he also lives in Colorado.

When contacted by MMAFighting.com, Urijah Faber, the founder of Team Alpha Male, said, "We are sad to see [Dillashaw] go, but we're excited about the next set of champion being developed at Team Alpha Male."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lid posted:

Quick someone try to work out why the Klitschko's can't draw a dime.

Because they throw about the same number of strikes Ronda does but stretched out over 8-12 rounds.

The Klitschko's are really, impressively good but seeing someone jab their outmatched opponent's face off for 7 rounds before deciding to maybe throw a right hand or two isn't as exciting as seeing someone take out their outmatched opponent in an animated gif timeframe.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

The Hunt one was a perfect example of how people's memories can be weird. I missed that fight, but all I remember people talking about, even here, was how Hunt looked terrible and the ref screwed up. The narrative was never "Miocic looked good" it was "Hunt looked terrible." The narrative of the JDS fight was "man, JDS sure has lost a step" not "man, Miocic made JDS look like he'd lost a step." We're discussing why he doesn't pop up in people's heads when they talk about the current crop of Heavyweights, not a breakdown of his skillset (which is formidable)

JDS in the Miocic fight looked pretty much like he usually did, Miocic did a good job. In the Hunt fight, Hunt gassed faster and harder than he did fighting Werdum on a week's notice at a mile altitude, which is why everyone was saying "Hunt looked terrible" - because that was unexpectedly bad regardless of what Miocic was doing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MycroftXXX posted:

Unless TJ left out a bunch of details (which he may have done), this isn't really like Team Takedown. IIRC Team Takedown paid guys to train, but when they fought a large part of their purse goes back to the team and when one guy took off the team would be solvent. It seems like Ludwig is outright paying Dillashaw to train there and Dillashaw gets to keep his entire purse when he fights. I think Ludwig is banking on the fact that people will flock to his gym to train with a champion and he will make money by charging them to train/selling them peanut butter. I don't have an MBA or nothin' fancy like that, but paying your biggest client to take your services doesn't seem like sound business.

Ludwig isn't part of Team Elevation; Leister Bowling runs it. Ludwig is working with Dillashaw independently of the Team Elevation deal, and presumably is still getting paid by Dillashaw.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Isn't this literally how sponsorships work everywhere else? You give free poo poo to big name people so everyone else wants to buy your poo poo. It's the same principle that results in celebrities having closets full of designer clothes they got for free, basketball players getting free shoes, etc.

It probably wouldn't be sustainable for them to pay every UFC guy on their roster to train there, but paying one or two of the biggest names a reasonable fee to be the face of your gym doesn't seem completely crazy to me.

shaky math trigger warning:
Let's assume they're paying him something fairly reasonable, like 50k a year.
Now, just using the gym fees from the places I've trained as a reference, you're typically looking at around $200/mo for a guy off the street to join your gym. That adds up to $2400 a year.
So, to pay for his sponsorship, that means you need ~21 new members to join off the publicity of being the home of the UFC champ. I don't think that's actually an unreasonable number of new signups to expect from that level of hype.

Elevation Fight Team is a private, fighters only gym. They don't have regular members.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
iirc Elevation Training is heavily sponsored by MusclePharm

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://mmajunkie.com/2015/10/michael-bisping-willing-to-fight-unprofessional-ex-ufc-champ-rampage-jackson-at-any-weight

fatherdog posted:

Eventually there will be no one under contract to the UFC, regardless of weight class, that has not called out Bisping.

Also, looks like Monte Cox may be taking a break from promoting/managing for a while -

http://qctimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_1537c22e-b93f-5d8c-a026-8c0ff9ca730d.html

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I've never watched a Let's Play, but since "Watching a dude and two puppets watch bad movies" was one of the most beloved comedies of the 90's I'm not sure why it's so unbelievable that "Watching people play video games" would be entertaining.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

Hah, Matt Mittrione wants a rematch.

mattmitrione posted:

Just heard Stipe is out. If y'all need a fighter, lemme finish what I started a @RothwellFighter & then I'll fight @travisbrowneMMA in Jan

RothwellFighter posted:

' @mattmitrione problem is I finished that already Now @travisbrowneMMA by all means please take the fight

lol

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

I guess I don't understand why people are so incredulous that he would choose to goof off on air instead of getting 30/30 to train hard for 2 months and then get KO'd.

No one's incredulous that Schaub would choose to goof off on air instead of fight, they're incredulous that people are apparently willing to pay him tens of thousands of dollars to do so.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I don't think he provided proof as much as just said that he makes like over 100k per fight in sponsors, did he? Also proving things to the satisfaction of Joe Rogan seems like an easy thing to do anyway.

Question Everything

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is going to be awkward because the main job of the White House press corps is spinning poo poo.

:golfclap:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

John Romero posted:

does that guy who got really mad about yoel romero staying on the stool for too long still post here?

henkman posted:

I don't think anyone was mad.

Bioshuffle posted:

Big John should have stopped the fight and awarded the victory to Tim Kennedy. He had the authority to stop and he blew it. This will tarnish his reputation forever. He literally cost someone a victory! I can't think of a bigger way he could have messed up his return to Las Vegas. Maybe the nerves got to him?

Not sure how much the fact that he pooped his pants is playing into all this, but I have never hated a fighter as much as I hate Yoel Romero right now. I hope Tim Kennedy gets a rematch and smashes his colon into powdery dust.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/2...eruled-mma-news

quote:

The commission's leading figure, Bob Bennett, revealed that even though the Nevada administrative code states that a fighter will be awarded the TKO victory if his opponent is unable to answer the bell following the break between rounds, it is unlikely that the decision will be overturned.
You've got to be loving kidding me. This is bullshit. Bull. poo poo.

Bioshuffle posted:

One of these is not like the other... 

Obviously I don't think he's going to lose his job or anything, but I can see this being an asterisk next to his record. He screwed up. Looking forward to see how he'll try to spin this one on MMA Hour.

Bioshuffle posted:

Just look at the number of trolls who came out of the woodwork to attack me because my opinion happens to be different from theirs. God forbid!

The culture of elitism that exists within the MMA fan base is nothing short of baffling. I can think of three separate occasions when I almost came to trading blows with some drunk know-it-all who thinks his opinions have more value because he trains jiu-jitsu. 

It's like they can't handle the concept of two people having different opinions. I may not "train" mixed martial arts, but I've seen enough matches and read enough articles and studied fight footage to know what I'm talking about.

Bioshuffle posted:

Even if I disagree with you, I am mature enough to understand that people have different opinions. I don't have to resort to flaming to make myself feel better.

Romero is a pants making GBS threads cheater and I am going to laugh when he gets what's coming to him. I'm going to come here to gloat and rub all of your faces in it. Can't wait.

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 17, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

origami posted:

I think Swick had some allergy that hosed him up

He had some sort of chronic acid reflux that he got treated with lasers or something iirc

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

wiffle ball bat posted:

What's wrong with Tim Kennedy?

fatherdog posted:

Whined up a storm about every decision he lost up to and including the Jacare fight where he got beaten from pillar to post. Is the beneficiary of dumb FOR THE TROOPS bullshit while being a stereotypical douchebag, including shilling for a company that makes racist tshirts and spending the entire day of Nelson Mandela's death calling everyone on his timeline making a positive statement about Mandela an rear end in a top hat because he was a "commie terrorist".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lid posted:

He's 155 Vitor

what

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

who was fighter of the year last year

Bundt Cake posted:

Who was fighter of the year 2 years ago

HulkaMatt posted:

Fighter of the Year

2013: Chris Weidman
2014: Robbie Lawler

Mark Coleman Emeritus Award: PSP's Favorite Fighter

2013: Mark Hunt
2014: Mark Hunt

Fight of the Year

2013: UFC Fight Night 33 – Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Silva
2014: UFC 171 – Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler

Knockout of the Year

2013: UFC 162 – Chris Weidman KO Anderson Silva
2014: UFC Fight Night 52 – Mark Hunt KO Roy Nelson

Submission of the Year

2013: UFC 164 – Anthony Pettis SUB Benson Henderson via Armbar
2014: UFC Fight Night 49 – Ben Saunders SUB Chris Heatherly via Omoplata

Best Major Show

2013: UFC 168
2014: UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso

Worst Major Show

2013: UFC 161
2014: UFC Fight Night 36: Machida vs. Mousasi

Round of the Year

2013: UFC on Fuel 8 – Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann ~ Round 1
2014: UFC Fight Night 40 – Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva – R1

Breakout Fighter of the Year

2013: Chris Weidman
2014: Tyler Jeffrey Dillashaw

The Memorial Cub Swanson Award - Most Improved

2013: Robbie Lawler
2014: Tyler Jeffrey Dillashaw

Upset of the Year

2013: UFC 162: Chris Weidman def. Anderson Silva
2014: UFC 173 – TJ Dillashaw def. Renan Barγo

Best Division

2013: Lightweight
2014: Welterweight

The Joe Silva Brainfart Award - Worst Booking Decision

2013: Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen
2014: Stipe Miocic vs. Fabio Maldonado

Dumbest Career Move

2013: Cyborg hires - of course - Tito Ortiz as her manager
2014: CM Punk joins the UFC & trains at Roufusport

Worst Referee Decision

2013: TFC 26 – White vs. Babcock – Rusty Sullivan watches a KO and doesn't call off the fight.
2014: RFA 14 – Tom Johnson allows fight to continue after Junior Maranhao collapses unconscious between rounds and is revived.

Worst Judging Decision

2013: UFC on Fuel 8 – Diego Sanchez vs. Takanori Gomi ~ Two Judges score for Sanchez
2014: UFC Fight Night 42 – Diego Sanchez vs. Ross Pearson ~ Two Judges score for Sanchez

Gilbert Yvel Memorial Foul of the Year

2014: Every Fight – Jon Jones eye gouges EVERYONE!

Best Post-Fight Interview

2013: UFC on Fuel TV 8 – Mark Hunt
2014: Bellator 121 – James Thompson

The Alistair Overeem Award - Most Overhyped/Underperformed

2013: Alistair Overeem
2014: Renan Barγo

Best Twitter Account

2013: @danawhite – Dana White
2014: @teamKhabib – Khabib Nurmagomedov

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

plus his latest string of injuries is kind of troubling. he's been out for a while.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lid posted:

late career resurgent drug addict

He's not "late career resurgent", he's a guy who's gotten steadily better over the course of his career and is only 30.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Even aside from the lovely political implications, is a map of ireland with "IRELAND UFC" the laziest imaginable t-shirt design? I could come up with something better than that poo poo and I'm the least fashionable person on earth.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

lol

UFC should offer refunds to that event.

arielhelwani posted:

Per the release: "Fans seeking ticket refunds as a result of the main event changes can do so through Ticketmaster at the point of purchase"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Why would anyone notice?

Because it's something Irish people, the ostensible main market for said shirt, get upset about so you'd think somebody would have at some point vetted this

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

somebody probably google image searched ireland, then traced it, then showed it to other people in the company and they said "whatever". why would anyone have any idea of what the country or island of ireland looked like from memory

david carmichael posted:

they absolutely do not

david carmichael posted:

reebok has been loving up everything and its really funny, but its also really funny to see the weird outrage over what is at the same time an obviously dumb mistake and a huge perceived slight against irish nationalism or whatever

I'm not outraged, or upset, because I'm not Irish in any meaningful sense. But actual Irish people very clearly are upset. And you may consider it weird or silly for actual Irish people to be upset, which is fine, but it's still clearly A Thing Which Has Happened, which is why I (and most everyone else in this thread except you and Atom) are incredulous that Reebok were so stupid as to create a shirt which pisses off the majority of their target market for said shirt. Most multi-billion dollar companies have localization teams in order to prevent exactly this kind of thing from happening.

Like, the whole concept of "fan death" is manifestly ridiculous but that doesn't change the fact that it would be very stupid to make a Korean Zombie t-shirt with a giant fan on it. And if Reebok did that I wouldn't be outraged, but I would be incredulous that they could be so goddamn dumb. Which is exactly the reactions going on in the thread currently. I'm not sure why this is difficult for you to understand.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

its perfectly reasonable to understand i am just riffing on exaggerations of people calling it offensive for the sake of making joke posts. north filipino sea, yesterday being the anniversary of america giving munitions to IS, the 5/6s joke. i am just salty that all my best references went unnoticed

In that case, I apologize for implicitly lumping you in with Atom.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Chuck/Wandy was one of the few "dream fights" that actually came close to living up to the anticipation, even though it took place when both guys were a bit past their prime.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It was also really good because it was Chuck starching him for 3 straight rounds

My favorite part of that fight was someone ran into Wandy's manager in an airport afterwards and asked him why Wandy didn't blitz Chuck when he stunned him with a punch with his back against the fence, and his manager said that Liddell hit him at the same time and he was seeing three Chucks and couldn't figure out which one to charge at.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

I just looked and there's not a card I'm interested in until UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Alves on November 28th.... gently caress

mmajunkie posted:

Vitor Belfort vs. Dan Henderson

HOW DARE YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

if it happened a mere year ealier it would have been easily the biggest dream match that's ever happened. its still gotta be up there though. and it is just crazy how quickly both guys dropped off after that

Neither guy had a style that screamed "longevity", but you're right that the dropoff after that match was sharp and sudden.

In retrospect the most amazing thing is that Shogun has remained relevant this long.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

Was Randy vs Nog a dream fight before it happened? You would think two of the most accomplished heavyweights in the sports history finally fighting would be a dream fight but I distinctly remember most promotional videos being about the dean of mean.

Randy/Fedor was the dream fight; during the times Randy was the #1 UFC guy Nog was laboring on the undercard, so despite his obvious resume most people ignored him in favor of the #1/#1.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

wandy also I dunno. I dont think he showed up for anything as beast wanderlei after the cro cop/hunt intravenous steroid drip era of his career

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I don't think there has ever been a more complete fighter in MMA history. Every other dominant champ had or has a possible flaw to criticize them with. DJ's only flaw is that Americans hate munchkins.

DJ actually does have a visible flaw which is that he doesn't move his head off-line at all as he comes in on people; it tends to be straight in the air and on the centerline without much tucking of the chin. That's what got him in trouble against Dodson in their first match.

He's so fast that people aren't able to take advantage of it much, but it is an actual flaw, which is notable because as you say he has so few of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm honestly kind of at a loss for why or how anyone could possibly care enough about Ryan Bader to hate him.

• Locked thread