Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Unimpressed posted:

While you make some good points, a counter to that is that there aren't too many investments that are yielding good returns right now. Straight up deposits are worthless, bonds are dead, some at negative returns, we all saw what happened to the stock market, so while negative gearing will definitely hit, I'm not sure the impact will be so bad.
Furthermore, I don't personally think we have a bubble as such that is going to burst with a big drop in prices. I think it's more likely that prices will drop a bit and/or stagnate. We don't have blocks upon blocks of apartments that are going to stand empty like in Europe, our housing market is still dominated by population growth, land scarcity and the psychological demand for owning a house that is so ingrained in this country. In other words, I think our high prices are driven mostly by market fundamentals, and only then frothed further by low interest and tax incentives for investors.

As I recall from people talking about it in previous threads, our problem isn't entirely the housing bubble, it's that we've hedged so much on the housing bubble. We've got entire industries based around supporting the real estate industry, and when that bubble bursts they will be straight hosed.

Real estate itself will survive, if for no other reason than necessity; we'll always need places to live, and the nature of our bubble is such that we're not sitting on a massive oversupply. But everything ancillary that's been built up will fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Wizard Master

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It always used to poo poo me that supermarkets in the UK had panadol as a restricted item at the self-serve checkouts. gently caress the nanny state

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously you guys who haven't had codeine in a long time and don't see why people need it haven't had a migraine or a bad tooth ache for a while.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

bowmore posted:

Obviously you guys who haven't had codeine in a long time and don't see why people need it haven't had a migraine or a bad tooth ache for a while.

So now you'll have to get a prescription for Panadeine, and as a bonus, the doctor will give you one for Panadeine Forte, so what's the big deal? People aren't sensible enough to be able to buy this poo poo off the selves, this is a fact.

Until our refugee policy graduates from mere rape and torture to organ harvesting, we need to protect our liver supply.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It means people with chronic pain issues now need to regularly visit their GP for scripts which will tie up the health system and waste doctors' time. It's not the government's job to protect people from themselves and it's a stupid loving rule change.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wizard Master posted:

We have a word filter for certain gendered insults and occasionally words that are overused for trolling. We do this to encourage a safe space so some of us can shelter from the rape and domestic violence culture we are surrounded by. We do not apologize for this and will not change it, so don't bother complaining, try being an adult occasionally.

My only complaint is that Tolradi won't stop being a punani.

Or a minge.

Or a mut.

Or a vertical smile.

Or a bearded clam.

Or a tunnel of love.

is that enough gendered poo poo for you or do I have to pay sassy Masha to whisper it

Unimpressed posted:

Unfortunately, it's not only codeine addiction that leads to paracetamol overdose. People are fuckwits, and there are enough fuckwits so that every couple of days one or more of them end up in ED with an overdose. My head was really hurting so I took 6 and then it was hurting again two hours later so I took another 6 because it was really hurting, oh, and guess what I did two hours later when it was hurting again?

Codeine doesn't work on me. At all. No, really.

The only time I had to present to an ED for an overdose was when I was taking straight paracetamol for a wisdom tooth (didn't have anything else) and wasn't watching the dosage. I got charcoal for the overdose and oxycodone for the tooth (once I assured them I wasn't trying to harm myself).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Are you telling me I cant get panadeine because of those fuckhead footy players?

gently caress me.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

So now you'll have to get a prescription for Panadeine, and as a bonus, the doctor will give you one for Panadeine Forte, so what's the big deal? People aren't sensible enough to be able to buy this poo poo off the selves, this is a fact.

Until our refugee policy graduates from mere rape and torture to organ harvesting, we need to protect our liver supply.

Why do you manage to be so consistently wrong that you make Amethyst look like a genius of our times

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
No, that submission has been in the works since long before those footy players.

People who overdose on paracetamol who aren't trying to suicide aren't fuckwits, they're people who are in pain and don't pay the attention they should. You can't go telling everyone how easy it is to kill yourself with paracetamol as that would make the youth suicide much worse.

If paracetamol were discovered today instead of long ago, it would not be available in supermarkets. It's an historical accident. There's a reason it's the most closely monitored pain medication in hospital wards even when you're on good stuff like morphine.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

Are you telling me I cant get panadeine because of those fuckhead footy players?

gently caress me.

Fuckhead footy players are responsible for ruining many things.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ScreamingLlama posted:

Like ASMRs.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

Like ASMRs.

Insult fail.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

freebooter posted:

It always used to poo poo me that supermarkets in the UK had panadol as a restricted item at the self-serve checkouts. gently caress the nanny state

In Austria you can't get Panadol, or basically anything of the sort from a super market, you have to go to a pharmacy for it. Did I mention that they have stupid loving opening hours such as being closed until like 3pm and then only open for a loving hour. Don't even bother with weekends.
I think there's maybe one 24-hour pharmacy in all of Vienna. It's hugely loving annoying.
Only in the last few years have I got hayfever, so I can't get absolutely anything for it from the sueprmarket and have to go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist. I suffered really loving badly for like 2 weeks before I could get find the time to get basic allergy pills for it.

Ler fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 1, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

ScreamingLlama posted:

Milky Moor posted:

Like ASMRs.

Like LARPs :v:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I don't know, someone responding just to make sure that I know that they're absolutely not offended no way no how seems like a win to me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tommofork posted:

Like LARPs :v:

:captainpop:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
like the democrats

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
lmao just kidding footy players had nothing to do with it the democrats ruined themselves

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

I don't know, someone responding just to make sure that I know that they're absolutely not offended no way no how seems like a win to me.

Not really, I always try to leave feedback where possible. You know, for quality control purposes.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Relax'n embrace excellirationism

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

ScreamingLlama posted:

Not really, I always try to leave feedback where possible. You know, for quality control purposes.

Haha gently caress off

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ScreamingLlama posted:

Actually, the opposite reading is true.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sean Micallef has a comedy series starting on ABC in about two weeks in which he plays an ousted Prime Minister -

http://www.shaunmicallefonline.com/?cat=102

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Looking forward to it, but my god the ABC can't make promos for poo poo.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 1, 2015

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Expect to see an uptick in sales of poppy seeds the moment codeine is prescription only

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
People use a coffee filter to separate out the ibuprofen or paracetamol from the tablets and drink the resulting codeine water. Google it.

Since you can have an effectively unlimited supply of tablets you can get high constantly and legally. Codeine is a scheduled drug in most developed countries for good reason.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

freebooter posted:

It means people with chronic pain issues now need to regularly visit their GP for scripts which will tie up the health system and waste doctors' time. It's not the government's job to protect people from themselves and it's a stupid loving rule change.

No, but medical professionals do tend to care about that sort of thing for some reason.

They're weird like that.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 1, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

freebooter posted:

Not to mention if you're poor and can't get a bulk billing doctor it'll cost you $30 out of pocket every time on top of the cost of drugs!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
If people actually gave a poo poo about the damages otc drugs are doing to people then alcohol would be prescription only not codeine. Booze has way more of an impact on societies health than codeine does and having to get a script from your doctor to say you can have a beer after work would stop tonnes of hospital visits for alcohol related injuries and abuse. It would also make the roads safer and free up a lot more police resources to deal with other problem.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Why do you manage to be so consistently wrong that you make Amethyst look like a genius of our times

Idiot detected!

Care to point out where I'm wrong or do you just revel in sniping around like a moron with a superiority complex? Also, while I don't always agree with Amethyst, I find his posts to be on a whole level higher than yours. You too, can gently caress off.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao the Australian Border Force logo and flags are all over Brisbane International Airport. Are they the A-Team or something?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

freebooter posted:

No it doesn't, people with chronic pain are not likely to be self medicating anyway, and if they are that's a very bad thing. They are more likely to be under a pain management plan from their GP, and be taking either stronger opioids, e.g. Endone, or neuropathic non opioids that reduce the addiction risk in the first place.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Unimpressed posted:

While you make some good points, a counter to that is that there aren't too many investments that are yielding good returns right now. Straight up deposits are worthless, bonds are dead, some at negative returns, we all saw what happened to the stock market, so while negative gearing will definitely hit, I'm not sure the impact will be so bad.
Furthermore, I don't personally think we have a bubble as such that is going to burst with a big drop in prices. I think it's more likely that prices will drop a bit and/or stagnate. We don't have blocks upon blocks of apartments that are going to stand empty like in Europe, our housing market is still dominated by population growth, land scarcity and the psychological demand for owning a house that is so ingrained in this country. In other words, I think our high prices are driven mostly by market fundamentals, and only then frothed further by low interest and tax incentives for investors.
There are still investments that are making money though, there are always stocks that go up when everything else goes down, there's volatility funds etc. What I think will happen is the initial stagnation or slow decline will accelerate as investors realise that there are no more capital gains to be made. Put yourself in their shoes for a second. If you have an investment that cannot go up in value any more are you going to hold on to it for any longer than you have to? Probably not, you'd cash out and find somewhere else to put your money.

There is actually a large over supply of apartments in Melbourne. People built thousands of them but no one wants to live there. Houses not so much though. I think the lack of housing oversupply simply means that the price will never reach rock bottom, but the premium people currently pay for a house's value as an investment will evaporate which will probably bring the price back to what it was before the negative gearing/CGT combo was introduced.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Anidav posted:

Lmao the Australian Border Force logo and flags are all over Brisbane International Airport. Are they the A-Team or something?

Did you have to go through separate, extra security in Brisbane where they re-scan all of your laptops and poo poo a second, more annoying time because BORDER FORCE like they do at Coolangatta?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

There are still investments that are making money though, there are always stocks that go up when everything else goes down, there's volatility funds etc. What I think will happen is the initial stagnation or slow decline will accelerate as investors realise that there are no more capital gains to be made. Put yourself in their shoes for a second. If you have an investment that cannot go up in value any more are you going to hold on to it for any longer than you have to? Probably not, you'd cash out and find somewhere else to put your money.

There is actually a large over supply of apartments in Melbourne. People built thousands of them but no one wants to live there. Houses not so much though. I think the lack of housing oversupply simply means that the price will never reach rock bottom, but the premium people currently pay for a house's value as an investment will evaporate which will probably bring the price back to what it was before the negative gearing/CGT combo was introduced.

Yeah you're right, I guess I don't disagree with you as much as I hope it's not as bad as that. I don't know about the situation in Melbourne in regards to flats, but here in Sydney, while there may be an oversupply there isn't this block after block of empty apartments you saw in Europe. I guess I'm hoping it doesn't come crashing down, that some investors stay with their properties and try to make money out of them rather than sell in a fire sale. NSW's economy is currently heavily driven by construction and if it doesn't come down softly, we don't really have much else going on here, what with the financial sector offshoring jobs at a huge rate and the govt cutting the public service.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah you're right, I guess I don't disagree with you as much as I hope it's not as bad as that. I don't know about the situation in Melbourne in regards to flats, but here in Sydney, while there may be an oversupply there isn't this block after block of empty apartments you saw in Europe. I guess I'm hoping it doesn't come crashing down, that some investors stay with their properties and try to make money out of them rather than sell in a fire sale. NSW's economy is currently heavily driven by construction and if it doesn't come down softly, we don't really have much else going on here, what with the financial sector offshoring jobs at a huge rate and the govt cutting the public service.

I don't think it will be as bad as Europe or the US in absolute terms, but the effect on our economy could be just as bad because it is currently just about all we have going for us. Having said that, I'm not a financial guru and there could well be other factors that make a sell-off less likely.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im pretty certain the only reason Codeine is sold with paracetamol/Ibuprofen is because Codeine is way better for you and does a better job (while also being addictive if abused) so they put it with something else that might kill you if you have too much of it to try and prevent people doing so.

and look how that worked out.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Laserface posted:

Im pretty certain the only reason Codeine is sold with paracetamol/Ibuprofen is because Codeine is way better for you and does a better job (while also being addictive if abused) so they put it with something else that might kill you if you have too much of it to try and prevent people doing so.

and look how that worked out.

That's pretty much what I assumed too, partly because codeine-only tablets are schedule 8, just like morphine and methamphetamine. My main reservations about making codeine prescription only is that NSAIDs like paracetamol and ibuprofen do sweet gently caress all for pain most of the time and recreational opioid users are going to switch to more dangerous ways of getting high, like poppy seed tea (which has a fair bit of overdose potential, since every batch of supermarket poppy seeds has different morphine levels) or taking recreational doses of tianeptine, which will gently caress up your liver.

• Locked thread