Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also his time during the Republic debate in the 90s where his main argument was that politicians shouldn't be trusted.
He's used it several times since, most recently to delay same sex marriage. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

I'm so over this air transport theatre. The amount of deaths I could cause with a chain saw or an oxy torch on the train network would rival any plane crash but hey! Too hard to do anything about that so let's just roll with a bit of circus at the airports. So very, very productive.

It's everyone's duty to tell Barter Farce ":stonk: they're on the trains guys, who knows what stops they get off :stonk:"

I have no idea what kind of political capital Abbott thinks he's saving or making or even spending. It's limited by the party's fear of bad polls. It's not the kind of thing Blart Shouty can't do much with, either. The perception of disunity is on an electoral level and once the Turnbull honeymoon is over might be a better time to assess whether that inadvertent message has sunk in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjLK9ug6MB4

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cartoon posted:

He's used it several times since, most recently to delay same sex marriage. :allears:

It's definitely a recurring theme with him (hence the other comment I posted).

When the first thing you hear someone say is "don't trust people like me" it gives an impression that is very hard to shake.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

That skin crawling, creepy wink when the sex worker called the radio show.

What an execrable excuse for a human being. I'm really happier since he's gone, even if the Libs do end up winning, we've finally rid ourselves of a properly evil person.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm kind of curious what Abbott will do with himself if/when he leaves parliament. He's immensely unpopular, incompetent and inarticulate, so he's unlikely to get stuff like consultancy gigs, opinion columns and speaking tours. Guy Rundle suggested that he'd start doing a lot of charity fitness stuff, and that I can believe, but he's not the type to resign himself ONLY to those.

I can certainly see him writing an autobiography, but I feel like that would be far less appealing to people than an unofficial tell-all since he's known to be a pretty intellectually dim and dishonest man.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ScreamingLlama posted:

My only complaint is that Tolradi won't stop being a punani.

Or a minge.

Or a mut.

Or a vertical smile.

Or a bearded clam.

Or a tunnel of love.

is that enough gendered poo poo for you or do I have to pay sassy Masha to whisper it

Codeine doesn't work on me. At all. No, really.

The only time I had to present to an ED for an overdose was when I was taking straight paracetamol for a wisdom tooth (didn't have anything else) and wasn't watching the dosage. I got charcoal for the overdose and oxycodone for the tooth (once I assured them I wasn't trying to harm myself).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bosouX_d8Y

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HookShot posted:

Did you have to go through separate, extra security in Brisbane where they re-scan all of your laptops and poo poo a second, more annoying time because BORDER FORCE like they do at Coolangatta?

This is why I always send all my stuff by courier, especially computers, drives and thumbsticks. It's faster and cheaper and a million times less of a hassle than dealing with the airports. If you're staying at a hotel, call them first to see if they're okay with holding your bags before you arrive or send them to your work.

I'll take one small carry-on briefcase and I'm set.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cleretic posted:

I'm kind of curious what Abbott will do with himself if/when he leaves parliament. He's immensely unpopular, incompetent and inarticulate, so he's unlikely to get stuff like consultancy gigs, opinion columns and speaking tours. Guy Rundle suggested that he'd start doing a lot of charity fitness stuff, and that I can believe, but he's not the type to resign himself ONLY to those.

I can certainly see him writing an autobiography, but I feel like that would be far less appealing to people than an unofficial tell-all since he's known to be a pretty intellectually dim and dishonest man.
I just hope there are more tears and comedy gold.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Unimpressed posted:

That skin crawling, creepy wink when the sex worker called the radio show.

I think that wink was meant to to say "it's okay, no need to terminate the call" rather than what you're reading into it which seems to be something like a knowing snigger between two men?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Negligent posted:

I think that wink was meant to to say "it's okay, no need to terminate the call" rather than what you're reading into it which seems to be something like a knowing snigger between two men?

You can't be serious. *I was reading into it?* me and about everyone else in the world.

I mean you're plumbing new depths here mate, really....

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The whole world can be obsessed with how things look, it doesn't change the nature of what they are.

If you are on the radio and need to convey something instantly to the host without talking, winking is effective.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 2, 2015

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I was wondering the same, the charity gigs for sure, but the only people receptive to his message are either dying out or American. The book would suffer unfavourable comparisons with Battlelines and what he didn't achieve as PM. I think he's bound to be another BA Santamaria but hopefully not allowed to likewise rant on taxpayer-funded television (seriously, its one of my weirdest memories of the 1970's).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

The whole world can be obsessed with how things look, it doesn't change the nature of what they are.

Perception overrides intention pretty much everywhere in the world. If something is percieved as creepy, it doesn't matter its intention.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Negligent posted:

Forums poster Negligent has a true vision into the objective reality of the world, however.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

quote:

In his very fine speech this morning, full of sorrow and frustration, President Obama made a mistake: Australia is not like the United States. We decided not to be.

We decided to grow up instead and become a more reasonable, rational society that explicitly values human life and prefers to think the best of people, rather than the worst.

The US is too immature a society to be allowed to play with guns. It has never shed its Wild West mythology. Americans still use their courts to kill people, which sends a message in its own way. Read The New Yorker's account of the Rodricus Crawford case and see a state that thinks taking a life is a no big deal. It's a country that values property more than life.

Unlike the US, we collectively decided to have a decent social safety net, the concept of a living wage and make good education freely available. Most of us are wary of those with extreme views of any kind. Inherent scepticism about church and state turns out to be not such a bad thing.

Unlike Australia, the US is at war with itself, strongly divided on racial, religious, political and social lines. We have our problems, significantly worse in some places than others, but overall our gaps are bridgeable. The US seems to prefer to use its societal chasms as moats and defend their borders.

The dystopian viewpoint is a significant theme in American literature, the assumption that the country is a disaster away from rape and pillage, from turning into plundering carnivores. Having never made peace with its past, which pretty much was one of rape and pillage, it hasn't escaped it.

From The Road to Hunger Games, the effect is numbing. The National Geographic Channel features a show called Doomsday Preppers, a how-to guide for armed and dangerous "survivalists" building redoubts on the assumption that everyone else is armed and dangerous and out to get them. It is a nation that is collectively paranoid.

It doesn't seem to help to have a large body of religious fanaticism – it doesn't help anywhere, whatever the particular brand of religion. There's little difference between the violently fundamentalist Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Jew.

There's an American brand that hasn't evolved far from justifying slavery. It carries a fundamentalist certainty that is in equal parts both ignorant and frightening. The concept of American exceptionalism – that God has a chosen mission for the USA – is a dangerous adjunct.

It's all fodder for the deranged fanatics of the American gun lobby, with a bible in one hand and an assault rifle in the other. It's fuel for the paranoid interpretation of a line in the constitution that is a blatant anachronism.

We have our share of deranged individuals, but we try not to empower them. We don't promote violence for good or bad and increasingly decry the bad.

That was another mistake Obama made: talking of responsible gun owners having firearms to "protect their families". The statistics have long been in – having firearms is more likely to endanger families than to protect them. Obama is not immune to the paranoia.

And so, when domestic terror struck at Port Arthur and John Howard showed political leadership, we overcame our ratbags, our Leyonhjelms, and agreed to reasonable controls on firearms. They're not particularly tough, except in restricting access to weapons specifically designed for killing human beings. Only an NRA member could think that unreasonable.

The restrictions demonstrably work.

The immediate American-like response at the crazier end of the National Party has abated. It's safe to say we're now rather proud as a nation of our gun laws. We haven't suffered another mass shooting. In National Party heartland, there are men alive who would not be if guns had remained so freely available when they were troubled youths.

And I write as a person who grew up with a knowledge and enjoyment of and respect for firearms. My father was a policeman. We had firearms in the house. I have a gun licence. It's been a little while now, but I enjoy shooting clays when I have the chance. And I think only a madman would want to water down our gun laws or, in America's case, not adopt them.

But, no, we are not like America. We're a society the USA should aspire to be.

lmao what a piece of trash article, could have Bolded the whole loving thing

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Solemn Sloth posted:

"Unlike Australia, the US is at war with itself, strongly divided on racial, religious, political and social lines. We have our problems, significantly worse in some places than others, but overall our gaps are bridgeable."

"Unlike Australia, the US is at war with itself, strongly divided on racial, religious, political and social lines."

"racial, religious, political and social lines."

Uhhhhh :sweatdrop:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"We're not like American except when we import their culture legal framework and business practices" Boy I feel so Australian now.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

He certainly over states how good we are and romanticised some things, but it's undeniable that as hosed up as our political system is, it's still much much better than the US.

Almost all our federal districts are contestable, there are very few safe seats in the long run, while in the US, 90% of seats have their real contest in the respective party's primary. The Abbott govt was a good example of a US - style ideological govt and was rejected by the Australian public.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

sick trigger posted:

there's been some research to suggest codeine and paracetamol can be effective when used together to treat pain, but absolutely the main reason they're sold otc together is so people can have access to codeine while making it difficult to abuse (without damaging your liver with the paracetamol). It's a dumbass system that has definitely caused more harm than preventing a few junkies getting their fix would ever be worth.

Paracetamol or NSAIDs work on similar pathways (both inhibit the formation of prostaglandins, mediating pain transmission) while codeine binds directly to opioid receptors, inhibiting nerve cells and preventing them from firing effectively. The problem is, opioids affect a number of different cells which can cause all sorts of depressive functions including your respiratory centers. A lot of these negative effects aren't linear dose-dependent, you can take a whole lot of opioids without any ill effect and then taking a tiny bit more will tip you over the line toward respiratory distress. Unfortunately, with pain, people will keep taking more and more medication until their pain goes away but different pain medications have different times to peak effectiveness. You typically reach peak plasma concentrations of paracetamol within 10-60 minutes with a half life of 1-3 hours while an opioid has a half life of 3-4 hours with a variable peak plasma concentration. The logic is that, with a combination medication, the codeine is the most "effective" medication but for most sources of pain, the paracetamol will have an effect fast enough that people can tolerate their pain enough that they won't keep dosing themselves before the medication has had a chance to work its effect. You also get a wider range of pain conditions treated through combination therapy; some pain doesn't respond well to one so the inclusion of a second pain reliever ensures that the pain is managed.

Also, the synergistic effect can't be underestimated; there are concepts called "equivalent" dose which is a research term to describe how much of a medication will produce the effect of a quantity of another medication. It's theoretical when you're comparing between drug classes because the pain relief provided by an opioid is of a different character than the pain relief provided by an NSAID or paracetamol however, using our best estimates of equivalent doses, a synergistic effect has been noted in combination studies that exceed what you would expect of both drugs exerting their individual effect (I hope that sentence isn't too convoluted). The mechanisms are hideously difficult and are not adequately proven however the best theory suggests that main signals are modulated, in part, by communication between different parts of the pain pathway such that interfering at one point can down-regulate the expression of the pathway at a different point. If you inhibit the pain pathway at the prostaglandin, arachidonic acid part of the pathway, it communicates its effect to the part of the pain pathway modulated by opioid receptors such that agonising those receptors will have an even stronger effect because you've already primed the body to think "okay, we're trying to inhibit this pathway". I am aware that the research of this synergistic effect isn't "settled" but this is still the most widely accepted model.

Also, you don't need to do an acid-base extraction to separate codeine from paracetamol; they dissolve in water at different temperatures.

**edit**

quote:

Codeine doesn't work on me. At all. No, really.

Some people are born without the enzyme CYP2D6 which converts codeine into morphine, without which the medication stays functionally inert. Fun fact, recent research has also shown us that <too much> CYP2D6 in the liver can render codeine ineffective because it breaks the medication down too fast to be effective

Serrath fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 2, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It seems kind of tasteless to brag about how much better our country is than some other country. I mean, even if it's true who does it help?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Solemn Sloth posted:

For a start I'm pretty sure there was a mass shooting where eight people were killed, it's just it was a father blowing his family away. Might have that wrong, but I think 'no mass shootings since' is a long bow to draw.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Consultancy stuff isn't so much about leveraging his expertise as his contacts and access, and he's still got that.

Plus he's written opinion columns and books before, so I don't see why they should stop now. He's inarticulate as a speaker but his writing isn't worse than anything else you'd read on op-ed pages.

Endman
May 18, 2010

open24hours posted:

It seems kind of tasteless to brag about how much better our country is than some other country. I mean, even if it's true who does it help?

The collective strayan ego m8

*beats chest*

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm sure all the kids in immigration detention will be relieved to hear that we value human life and choose to think the best of people rather than treating them with undue suspicion.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm sure all the kids in immigration detention will be relieved to hear that we value human life and choose to think the best of people rather than treating them with undue suspicion.

Key words here being Human and People. Once we started demonising them they stopped being either in the eyes of most of the population which then legitimised our brutal regime of rape and torture.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Unimpressed posted:

Key words here being Human and People. Once we started demonising them they stopped being either in the eyes of most of the population which then legitimised our brutal regime of rape and torture.

Yeh not like those other migrants who are bad and just want to feed off the public system

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Dear Cartoon, I am in NZ now but I did get a photo of this border force tape that is in all 3 of the international checkpoints we had to get pulled over on.

Your tax dollars at work.

Flags and posters were also present.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Still somehow less offensive than most QANTAS workers, but thanks! More is always good.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Anidav posted:

Dear Cartoon, I am in NZ now but I did get a photo of this boarder force tape that is in all 3 of the international checkpoints we had to get pulled over on.

It's just a rebranding of the existing stuff right? I mean that's the least of the issues with border farce, govt agencies rebrand all the time. Were they all carrying guns now and being all officious or was it pretty much the same as before? I really hope our airports don't become like the US.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nah the border force staff were rude as gently caress and never smiled. Wanted to x Ray my watch because drugs could be in it. Very drill sergent sort of behaviour.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Anidav posted:

on.

Be careful or one of the border farts will confiscate your phone

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Imo they seem to have the power to go through your luggage much easier and I think they carry tasers.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Starshark posted:

Post your favorite Abbott quotes ITT. I can't find mine, but it's the one where he refers to carbon dioxide as a "invisible, odourless, weightless, tasteless substance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PkHix9Km94

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Starshark, your quote is from The Bolt Report iirc.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

My favourite Tony Abbott quote is one that admits he is dumb at making words with his face hole

"I know politicians are going to be judged on everything they say, but sometimes in the heat of discussion you go a little bit further than you would if it was an absolutely calm, considered, prepared, scripted remark.

"Which is one of the reasons why the statements that need to be taken absolutely as gospel truth are those carefully prepared, scripted remarks."

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
This is a vomit worthy opinion piece, IMO

http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/president-obama-was-wrong-australia-is-not-like-the-us-20151002-gjztja.html

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

oh gently caress off i loving quit

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Whoops, sorry. On the upside we agree again, perennial enemy Monster Under Your Bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

To tie together a few things, have a read of an article Abbott wrote about his time in the seminary, and why he left (it was because the Church kept trying to help people)

Tony Abbott posted:

l felt “had “by a seminary that so stressed ”empathy” with sinners and “dialogue” with the Church’s enemies that the priesthood seemed to have lost its point.

quote:

A little earlier, I had been appointed college infirmarian. This post was a legacy from quasi-monastic days and involved supervising the medicine cabinet and ensuring that the ill were not forgotten in their rooms. My view was that I knew nothing about medicine and that those too sick to eat in the dining room ought to be in hospital.

Anyway, I thought, most were malingering. So I encouraged “self-service” of medicines and suggested that meals would be better fetched by the friends of the sick. Many deeply resented this disdain for college’s caring and communitarian ethos.

• Locked thread