Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

A doubling of the population over 30 years isn't a huge annual increase. I think it'd be about twice what we take now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's probably worth making it clear what you actually mean when you say open borders. Like if you genuinely mean no border control whatsoever or just a different type of border control.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well yeah, exactly.

Would we still extradite people to face charges in other countries?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They just don't want a repeat of this http://www.smh.com.au/world/daughter-of-wealthy-german-businessman-killed-in-botched-kidnapping-20150818-gj2by8.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's the same reason they're against open borders.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

we call this "doing a Rudd"

Gillard lasted three years, be interesting to see how long Turnbull can hold on for

Rudd was reasonably popular though. No one likes Abbott except for people like Abbott, who are a minority in the public and in the party. After Rudd was knifed everyone seemed a bit shocked, they just seem relieved this time.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-zsXRJw0M

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It seems kind of tasteless to brag about how much better our country is than some other country. I mean, even if it's true who does it help?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

ewe2 posted:

What a perfect circle, demonise them, get hysterical about browns, and yay we have an event to ratchet up the fear and hate, guess where:

Along with many virgin jokes and multicultural dogwhistling of course. They're happy this is happening, it validates them.

Zacky Mallah was right.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Halo14 posted:

Haha those Chaser guys up to no good again!

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwrbyVaC6EU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

"... and Christ knows you wouldn't want to send them to a Government school, especially if we get elected."

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What kind of difference does it make if it was terrorism or not? I know it's fun to complain about the Telegraph being hysterical and all, but honestly who cares?

Is it something like 'Well if they can show it was terrorism then they'll have more legitimacy when they try to take away our rights to counter it'? Because it seems like you'd have to buy into the idea that taking away your rights to fight terrorism is an acceptable thing to do for that to be an issue.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 5, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

How very white of you.

Which part exposes my whiteness?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Negligent posted:

Could you put people on small planes and fly into a remote part of northern Australia undetected? Does border fart have an air fart?

Drone people.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Malcolm Turnbull’s dispatch of Tony Abbott from the prime ministership settled a score that had been festering from the moment Abbott became opposition leader. They are very different people.

Unlike conservative Abbott, Turnbull appeals to the fashionable Left. He is a postmodern kind of guy, more at home in inner-city cafes than in budgie smugglers and firefighting uniforms.

In no time, Turnbull has signalled his soft liberal credentials. Tax increases for the rich are back on the table. The Renewable Energy Finance Corporation has been given an immediate reprieve with a new board and new ideas for wasting money.

Climate change policies are ­receiving fresh attention. The ­Bureau of Meteorology has been freed of accountability and can now peddle its dubious data without scrutiny.

University spending cuts have been deferred and fees have ­escaped competitive tension. Industrial relations reform will be, at best, marginal. Turnbull will take a softer line with the Islamic community and intends to pursue a UN Human Rights Council membership from 2018. Another tilt at the UN Security Council is a 2030 ambition.

The republican movement can expect royal treatment and, ­subject to a pesky public vote, same-sex marriages seem likely to be fast-tracked.

What’s not to like?

Poor baby lost his 'job'.

Turnbull's republican movement will probably end up just like John Key's flag movement: options so terrible we might as well leave things the way they are.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 6, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Two party system. Nothing to be gained by standing out, just hang around long enough and you'll end up in government.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

But they hold back the economy!

[EDIT: I don't suppose anyone knows if there's been anything written about the effects of penalty rates on economic growth?]

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Seagull posted:

so is the seven day economy working seven days straight or are we giving the soviet method a go and assigning two days off randomly to everyone

This would really be the most efficient way. Make sure no one in the same family has the same days off either so they don't waste their energy on holidays or other distractions from work.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

freebooter posted:

How long have we actually had penalty rates? I know the most recent reworking of them was in 2010 but I know I was getting extra weekend cash when I worked at Coles around 2007.

edit - I ask because I was surprised to learn last year that we're one of the only (maybe the only) countries in the world that pays them. You expect the US to be full of wage slaves, but I was honestly shocked to find that people in the UK and New Zealand get nothing extra. 2:00am on Sunday is considered the same as 2:00pm on Monday, which is plainly insane.

That's obviously why the UK and New Zealand outperform us by so much, nothing holding their economies back.

Labor could counter this pretty easily if they weren't so terrified of the mythical small business owning Western Sydney wingnut.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

A true conservative would force the shops to close on Sundays.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amethyst posted:

Seriously. What the hell happened to "conservatives"? I guess if the old order you want to restore is actually medieval feudalism they're being consistent.

Actually, now that I think about it, even medieval peasants had Sundays off.

I don't think they've existed in Australia in my lifetime. The social conservatism is just our take on the Southern Strategy from the US, preying on the neuroses of idiots who think things like same sex marriage matter and are willing to give up things that actually do prevent it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's not really about punishing the poor, it just has the effect of punishing the poor and no one with any influence cares.

Paramedics have a more prestigious job than retail workers and a much better union, so they'll probably be fairly safe. Same deal with police and other jobs that people are sympathetic towards.

It's not based on an informed philosophy about agile economies or whatever the current buzzword is, it's literally just companies wanting to make more money and seeing that cutting wages is much easier than innovating.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Serrath posted:

There must be an argument that the conservatives are using to justify the double standard, though... how do they sell this policy, it's obviously hypocritical; how do they respond when they're asked why they're maintaining this standard for one profession and not another? Even when they're being disingenuous, they usually at least provide <an> explanation.

It's old fashioned, see, you wouldn't want an old economy, would you?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They just refuse to answer the question and/or obfuscate. You can see it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oij9wQFmpuI

Our political debates aren't based on fact.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's also easier to push the ~small business~ line for hospitality and retail. Not many small business owners run a police force so it's easier to pretend it's about Joe Fuckwit struggling to make ends meet and not CEOs and shareholders being upset that they have to buy 100' instead of 200' yachts.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The ban on ISIS flags is crypto-protectionism and will be dismantled under the TPP.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Why would Skynet care about building an economy? Only humans are dumb enough to waste our lives chasing figures.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well why shouldn't everyone pitch in to help private businesses make more money? It's only fair. Just like compensating for increased GST through reduced stamp duty. Everyone buys houses, everyone owns a business, and everyone pays GST, so everyone benefits equally.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

In the short term maybe, as businesses adjust, but long term you'd expect margins and profits to return back to where they are now as competition takes over. Those business owners will just find something else to complain about, like the award system or minimum wage.

Of course they will, I'm sure they'll be angling for some other type of tax cut. The people who stand to benefit the most from this kind of thing are companies like Woolworths and Coles and McDonalds who will have managed to shift what is probably many billions of dollars of costs onto the government for absolutely no public benefit whatsoever.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You Am I posted:

My question is: since the shoot was a believer in the Muslim faith, thus the police were quick to call it a terrorist act, does this mean Ned Kelly was a terrorist, as he shot police and was a part of a then hated religion (Catholicism, which disliked pretty heavily by Protestants) and from a disadvantaged race (Irish)?

Sure why not. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/201730328?searchTerm=%22kelly%20gang%22%20terror&searchLimits=l-decade=187 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/148526893?searchTerm=%22kelly%20gang%22%20terrorism&searchLimits=l-decade=187

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

On the bright side we're getting some variety in absolutely terrible journalism. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/08/we-still-know-very-little-about-violent-extremism-and-your-theories-arent-helping

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amethyst posted:

I think he agrees with the critique in the article he posted.

Not really. Some of her points are reasonable but she's all over the place.

"...the current younger, fresher and angrier crop of violent extremists" reads like a quote from the Simpsons and "They were, as difficult as it may be to accept, active participants in their own radicalisation. Their choices were wrong and misguided, but they were their choices nonetheless." is an absolutely bizarre claim to make about to make about children bordering on victim blaming and seems at odds with an article saying we shouldn't speculate. Implying that that he was a willing participant with full agency is just as counterproductive as implying that he was brainwashed.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Perhaps there's a good reason to separate the actions of 15 year old you know almost nothing about from the actions of another 100 'lone jihadists' rather than trying to conflate them, especially if you're trying to argue against speculation.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Sure, but it would probably help if people knew what what actually occurred during the event they are trying to contextualize before writing an article about it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't know why he's bothering to run outside of Victoria.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

7000 orders for an $800 gun. Cripes I should get into gun importing.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gorbash posted:

Yes, it does.

If anyone wants to relive a time when things were terrible in a different way, the Museum of Australian Democracy will be live tweeting a reenactment of the Dismissal over the next few weeks. This is your chance to find out what John Kerr would say in 140 characters I guess?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's no prohibition on conflicts of interest for MPs, is there? They just have to disclose it?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ban pets altogether. They're terrible for the environment in more ways than just killing wildlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/nov/13/ethical-living-carbon-emissions

• Locked thread