Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Force de Fappe posted:

I tried that tomato sauce once and it was massively underwhelming and I have no idea why it made such a stir on the net :geno:

I dunno man I still make it like once a month usually it's quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I mean, it's like any other tomato sauce ever but without garlic or spices.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Heres how to make a tomato sauce https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdLkoUap2Ec :colbert:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

No valveless pulse jet used to heat the sauce. Thumbed down and going back to watch Furze make tea.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Nooner posted:

Wow thats a lot of good advice, thank you guys!

how does the bakes vs fried tofu stack up? I've always thought it was generally fried since it doesnt have that much flavor on its own so you want to do everything you can to liven it up while it cooks, but I also imagine a nice crunch to it with the baked option.

I'm going back to page 1 here, but I have lots of thoughts on this. I sprinkle tofu with salt and pepper and bake it to put on salads, but otherwise I typically cook it on the stove. Like another poster said, the way I do tofu in stir fry is to add the tofu and try to get as many sides browned as possible, then take it out. Then do vegetables and throw the tofu back in before adding sauce. I'd also cook the vegetables a smidge less than you did. It may just be the camerawork, but you want to get them when they're bright before they dull.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Nooner I'd totally eat that hulk tofu thing. It looks delicious. :3:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Force de Fappe posted:

I tried that tomato sauce once and it was massively underwhelming and I have no idea why it made such a stir on the net :geno:

It's very basic and it needs a LOT more salt than you would think. I swear by the Frankie's recipe (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/frankies-tomato-sauce-recipe.html) which is nearly as simple, with the added touch of doing it in the oven rather than the stovetop, which has the two effects of reducing burning on the bottom and giving a tiny bit of browning on the top.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Test Pattern posted:

It's very basic and it needs a LOT more salt than you would think. I swear by the Frankie's recipe (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/frankies-tomato-sauce-recipe.html) which is nearly as simple, with the added touch of doing it in the oven rather than the stovetop, which has the two effects of reducing burning on the bottom and giving a tiny bit of browning on the top.

thats a lot of olive oil for the amount of tomatoes

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Looking good! Now im houngry

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you aren't fuckin with Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce recipe you are seriously loving up.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015178-marcella-hazans-tomato-sauce

Used as the basis for other sauces, it is the best. A tip: cook with liberal amounts of garlic and basil and add browned spicy italian sausage.

You're welcome.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Hi guys sorry about that gap in posting, a certain mod who shall not be named decided that I needed a week off for an extremely minor infraction EVEN THOUGH I WAS ALREADY ON PROBATION :rant::argh::rant:

Anyway, I didnt really cook much over the weekend, but I do have 2 new things from last week!

Cajun Shrimp and Rice:

This was probably the best thing I've made so far, it was crazy easy and really really good. I would love to hear some input or advice on how to improve it though, sicne like one of the main ingredients was V8 juice and im sure someone could point me towards a more authentic way to go about it that would be a lot better.

So here is step 1, sauteing garlic, green onion, and green bell peppers in a :supaburn:TABLESPOON:supaburn: of butter (thats just a lil GWS humor for ya ;) ). The recipe said to do it until they were soft but i had no idea what that like meant so i just did it until they seemed kinda cooked but not like starting to brown or anything.

Here are the spices to be added. The recipe said regular salt but fukkin lol yeah right when i got Tony's. Also i tried drinking a little bit of the clam juice straight because i was curious what it tastes like on its own without tomato. It is very clammy. :bravo:

Pound of SHRAMP. Normally I'd have gotten the non cooked shell on kind, but there was some kind of crazy sale at teh market and these guys were $1 a pound so I figured why pay moire to do more work?

The recipe was super easy, basically after cooking the veggies a little just added 3 cups of V8 and 8oz of clam juice and the spices. Brought that to a boil, then added the rice and let it simmer for 15 minutes, then tossed the shrimp in for another 5 to get saucy.

Here is everybody in the pot chillin and gettin hawt. I used an extra half cup of rice so it would be a little thicker which was a good call.

and the final product:

Added a little bit of Tabasco cause gotta give it a little extra heat and bam, delicious as heck dinner that was super cheap and easy with tons of leftovers. 10/10 will make again! As simple as this was to make im sure there are a ton of things I could change or add to make it even better so let me know GWS!!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
huh, guess people dont like Cajun...

well, here is last nights dinner/today's lunch

Noodles with garlic/blackpepper greenbeans and SHRAMP:

So pretty simple here, I had like a pound of greenbeans, added some sliced up jalapeno and some green onions and stir fried them all. Already getting better at cooking, check out this multitasking skillz

Here is the stuff imma make the sauce with (not pictured is sesame oil)

drat nooner looking good how are you learning to make such delicious food so fast???

and final product!

woohoo! but ... wait... wasnt there supposed to be shrimp? (I had already sat down and started eating for a while before I realized "huh, wait where is the protein in this?":cripes:)

okay back to the kitchen real quick!

Lightly fried the shrimp then some siracha and soy sauce in and kept heat on until the sauce had pretty much all evaporated (is that how you glaze, that is right? idk)

AAAANNNNND final final product.

This is another home run, super good and cant wait to eat the leftovers today for lunch -- I used all my shrimp last night, so i fried some tofu to add for today using the method Butch Cassidy recommended with kinda pressing it with cooking pan between two towels and it worked great, so thank you for that -- im already learning new tips and tricks!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I like cajun, I just don't know enough about it to comment.

You took the shrimp out of the pan while reducing the sauce right?
Brown meat, remove.
Fry some garlic, add the sauces, heat to thicken (adding a corn starch mix if needed).
Once thickened, return meat to pan to mix in with the sauce and reheat/finish cooking.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Jose posted:

thats a lot of olive oil for the amount of tomatoes

It's less by ratio than the Hazan recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I realize they are in the traditional Cajun trinity, but gently caress green bell peppers and their plastic rear end taste to hell and back.

• Locked thread