Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
lets be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
Not by shitbrained mouth breathers like yourself apparently

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The dynamic law beta = s / g.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Eat the rich

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
yers but only in its original french

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Actually it is surprisingly accessible for an economics book.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

ZearothK posted:

Actually it is surprisingly accessible for an economics book.

Agreed with this.

But for you op, given that you can't even spell "is" right, no, most definitely not.

Maybe try Dr Seuss and work your way up.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

just read kapital like a normal goon

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Quote-Unquote posted:

just read kapital like a normal goon

yeah there's no way this scrub is better than Marx, read the original!

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
piketty dismisses marxism out of hand and then later admits he has not read any marx and doesnt actually really understand what marxism or materialist analyses are. gently caress that busta

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Ambrose Burnside posted:

piketty dismisses marxism out of hand and then later admits he has not read any marx and doesnt actually really understand what marxism or materialist analyses are. gently caress that busta

Well he probably hasn't read ricardo either. Just seems expedient to ignore old theories based on outmoded forms of consumption

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Beef Turret posted:

Well he probably hasn't read ricardo either. Just seems expedient to ignore old theories based on outmoded forms of consumption

if youre going to analyze and critique an economic system w/o having any idea what the primary existing critiques actually consist of, i think it is safe to say youre not actually going to be saying anything new or productive or useful to anybody

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Ambrose Burnside posted:

if youre going to analyze and critique an economic system w/o having any idea what the primary existing critiques actually consist of, i think it is safe to say youre not actually going to be saying anything new or productive or useful to anybody

and yet economists the world over have lauded it, maybe it's the decade+ he spent meticulously researching it?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i think in the intro he's like "yeah well marx didn't believe in technological change" and i was all nigga whaaaat but from what i read of piketty's book it's otherwise well researched and accessible and for an econ book to get into bestsellers lists is only a good thign imo op.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

and yet economists the world over have lauded it, maybe it's the decade+ he spent meticulously researching it?

i mean i wouldn't really pay any attention to that because the vast majority of economists are autistic manchildren who get all huffy that the world doesnt conform to their tismal econ mathematical models inspired by bird flock dynamics and the tidal patterns off the coast of hawaii.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
honestly marx himself isn't that important for modern left wing economics unless you're really in to orthodox materialism and poo poo, which is dumb

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012
should just read paul krugmans blog. it's free and says the same things

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

becrumbac posted:

should just read paul krugmans blog. it's free and says the same things

Or you could just play a round of monopoly

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I watched Wall Street by Oliver Stone and it convinced me capitalism is very good. Gordon Gekko made a lot of money which is a cool thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambrose Burnside posted:

if he didn't do that then no one would take him seriously. not understanding Marxism, and dismissing it out of hand as a "failed system" is the default stance you have to take in academia. i have never seen anyone critique Marx without talking in absurd generalities that betray their lack of knowledge

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Frog Act posted:

honestly marx himself isn't that important for modern left wing economics unless you're really in to orthodox materialism and poo poo, which is dumb

Leaving economics aside entirely, Marx's capital (vol 2 in particular) is still extremely relevant as a critique of the forces and pressures inherent to the capitalist mode of production and circulation which lead to hugely destructive and myopic business practices.
You could even strip out the theory of surplus value entirely and still be left with an utterly damning critique of the results of coercive competition and furthermore im extremely gay

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oberleutnant posted:

i mean i wouldn't really pay any attention to that because the vast majority of economists are autistic manchildren who get all huffy that the world doesnt conform to their tismal econ mathematical models inspired by bird flock dynamics and the tidal patterns off the coast of hawaii.

economists are basically the modern form of the keepers of the sibylline prophecies

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Rutibex posted:

if he didn't do that then no one would take him seriously. not understanding Marxism, and dismissing it out of hand as a "failed system" is the default stance you have to take in academia. i have never seen anyone critique Marx without talking in absurd generalities that betray their lack of knowledge

Shout out to my nigga keynes who claimed never to have read a single word of marx lol

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Oberleutnant posted:

Shout out to my nigga keynes who claimed never to have read a single word of marx lol

Bald, Bi, Hellavaguy

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Apparently he used to gently caress George Mallory (Everest guy) who called him 'The Iron Copulating Machine' because... he hosed real hard I guess.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i bought it and i read some of it but i'm illiterate so to answer your question: maybe

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Ambrose Burnside posted:

yes of course he must read every economic theory of the last 300 years in order to critique any economc system

marxism is irrelevant to what he is doing

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

It's revealing that the "he hasn't read Marx!" complaint has nothing to do with the actual quality of Piketty's actual work. Apparently, Piketty has been able to do quite, quite well without having read Marx.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ArmZ posted:

yes of course he must read every economic theory of the last 300 years in order to critique any economc system
That's literally what Marx did to prepare Capital.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheWeepingHorse posted:

It's revealing that the "he hasn't read Marx!" complaint has nothing to do with the actual quality of Piketty's actual work. Apparently, Piketty has been able to do quite, quite well without having read Marx.

i havn't seen an bands of Pikettist revolutionaries storming state capitols, and redefining the agenda for the 21st century

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
go to work. get paid. buy dinner. american values???

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
its engaging enough if you are into reading those sorts of books.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i only read the first ~100-200 pages and dont remember what was in there but i remember it being coherent and informative in an interesting way

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

It is pretty accessible but he almost dumbs it down too much. Like half the book is just restating points he made earlier.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Can someone give me a rundown on his theory please, tia

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Oberleutnant posted:

Leaving economics aside entirely, Marx's capital (vol 2 in particular) is still extremely relevant as a critique of the forces and pressures inherent to the capitalist mode of production and circulation which lead to hugely destructive and myopic business practices.
You could even strip out the theory of surplus value entirely and still be left with an utterly damning critique of the results of coercive competition and furthermore im extremely gay

fair enough i couldn't get through kapital because it is dry as gently caress

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Can someone give me a rundown on his theory please, tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_SdUvMBUc

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
What's the point of reading these books unless you're involved with the economy? I work in retail and I generally don't seek out comprehensive texts on heart surgery.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

a dog from hell posted:

What's the point of reading these books unless you're involved with the economy? I work in retail and I generally don't seek out comprehensive texts on heart surgery.

Mostly to project an air of intellectualism in your facebook arguments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

a dog from hell posted:

professors maek you read things

• Locked thread