Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Is it available through Netflix/YouTube?

I don't think so but its like $3 to rent on amazon. Also the blu ray is one of the best looking blu rays I own, so for $17 you can't really go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always get mad at Dan from Re-Animator because he's got Barbara Crampton, THE perfect woman, ready to marry him and here he is getting all involved in West's hosed up experiments. Idiot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
1. Psycho 2. Black Christmas 3. Deep Red 4. Wicker Man 5. The Mummy 6. The Curse of Frankenstein 7. Drag Me to Hell 8. Candyman 9. Child’s Play 10. Lords of Salem 11. Suspiria 12. Hellraiser 13. From Beyond 14. Evil Dead 15. Evil Dead II 16. Re-Animator 17. Necronomicon 18. The Wolfman 19. The Howling 20. An American Werewolf in London 21. Poltergeist 22. City of the Living Dead 23. Sleep Hollow 24. Curse of Chucky 25. Dracula(1931) 26. Horror of Dracula 27. Dracula(1973) 28. Dracula(1979) 29. Nosferatu The Vampyre 30. Frankenstein 31. Bride of Frankenstein 32. The Shining

33. Prince of Darkness

I've seen some criticism of this movie in this thread and I can't really say that I disagree with any of it. Prince of Darkness isn't the best Carpenter film, and its probably not one that I'd recommend to someone looking to get into Carpenter for the first time. The acting is very uneven, the scientific jargon used in it sounds dumb today, and the characters are barely developed at all.

None of that really matters to me though, I love this movie anyway. For all of its surface stupidity, there are some supremely creepy and unsettling moments in Prince of Darkness. It has one of my all-time favorite shots in horror, at the climax of the movie when Catherine throws herself into the mirror, and we see the other side for just an instant as she desperately reaches out to escape. The unknown of what lies on the other side of that mirror combined with her twisted facial expression in that shot are terrifying to me.

Aside from all that you have Donald Pleasence and Victor Wong, and Alice Cooper plays a demonic hobo. What I'm saying is, I've never had any problems overlooking the movie's flaws.

34. Body Bags

This anthology isn't very well known, but it features John Carpenter as a Crypt Keeper-type horror anthology host. His character is a suspiciously pale morgue attendant.

I really like this anthology, but its so close to being one of the all-time greats, which makes it frustrating to watch. I love the first story, it features a shitload of horror icons in cameo roles, and the story works kinda like a little mini giallo film. The second story is a lot of fun and has a neat little twist.

The problem is that the third story ends the anthology with a complete wet fart and its hard to walk away feeling good about the overall experience. It stars Mark Hamill, who does his best, but his best is not good enough. The story is actually weirdly similar to the previous story, just not as wacky and fun. There's nothing really good I can say about it, there aren't even any cool makeup effects, just a whole lot of bad acting and a bloody contact lens.

35. Creepshow

Now this is the real deal. This is probably the most consistently entertaining horror anthology ever made. I sometimes claim that I prefer Creepshow 2 based on The Raft alone, but really this first Creepshow has five stories instead of the sequel's three, and all five stories are great, so its tough to beat.

I enjoy seeing Adrienne Barbeau and Hal Holbrook together because I'm a huge fan of The Fog, and the first story(Father's Day) has one of my all-time favorite zombies in film(#1 will always be Return of the Living Dead). But my favorite of the stories stars Leslie Nielsen in his best role ever. A very real, very scary situation and a kind of character that Nielson should have been playing more often because he's perfectly suited for it.

Always a little sad to put the Creepshow blu ray away for another year, but hey I still have Creepshow 2 on deck!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
1. Psycho 2. Black Christmas 3. Deep Red 4. Wicker Man 5. The Mummy 6. The Curse of Frankenstein 7. Drag Me to Hell 8. Candyman 9. Child’s Play 10. Lords of Salem 11. Suspiria 12. Hellraiser 13. From Beyond 14. Evil Dead 15. Evil Dead II 16. Re-Animator 17. Necronomicon 18. The Wolfman 19. The Howling 20. An American Werewolf in London 21. Poltergeist 22. City of the Living Dead 23. Sleep Hollow 24. Curse of Chucky 25. Dracula(1931) 26. Horror of Dracula 27. Dracula(1973) 28. Dracula(1979) 29. Nosferatu The Vampyre 30. Frankenstein 31. Bride of Frankenstein 32. The Shining 33. Prince of Darkness 34. Body Bags 35. Creepshow

36. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The last 30 minutes of this movie are tough to watch, its the first time all month I've had to turn the volume down on my t.v. out of fear that the neighbors would hear the screaming and get weirded out or call the police. Marilyn Burns just screams and screams for minutes at a time, and you can tell there's some real emotion there. I've read all the stories about how torturous that dinner scene was to shoot, and its very easy to believe when you watch it.

"College kids get stranded in redneck territory and cross paths with the wrong family" is a well established horror premise at this point, but its easy to see why people completely freaked out when Leatherface slides that door shut. The movie is called "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", we're told up front that bad poo poo happens to these characters, but I don't think audiences would have been at all prepared for that monster rounding the corner.

All in all this isn't the most fun movie to watch, so I'm thinking I may skip it next year. I've watched it a few years in a row because I consider it an essential horror film but really I don't enjoy it very much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

alansmithee posted:

I actually think this is one of the best Lovecraftian movies (not a very high bar, admittedly). Probably right below stuff like Re-Animator/From Beyond

I'd rank it just below In The Mouth of Madness, and maybe right above Necronomicon. I'm not sure, Necronomicon might be better.

I always try to do a run of Lovecraftian movies every October, and its usually not that hard if you're willing to stretch it a little bit. There's stuff that isn't based on any specific Lovecraft story but references him, like Evil Dead, Cabin in the Woods, and for a lighter option, Hellboy. Then there's plenty of movies that are heavily influenced by Lovecraft but don't make any specific references, like Event Horizon, Alien, Prometheus, The Mist, Under the Skin, The Thing, and Ghostbusters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
1. Psycho 2. Black Christmas 3. Deep Red 4. Wicker Man 5. The Mummy 6. The Curse of Frankenstein 7. Drag Me to Hell 8. Candyman 9. Child’s Play 10. Lords of Salem 11. Suspiria 12. Hellraiser 13. From Beyond 14. Evil Dead 15. Evil Dead II 16. Re-Animator 17. Necronomicon 18. The Wolfman 19. The Howling 20. An American Werewolf in London 21. Poltergeist 22. City of the Living Dead 23. Sleep Hollow 24. Curse of Chucky 25. Dracula(1931) 26. Horror of Dracula 27. Dracula(1973) 28. Dracula(1979) 29. Nosferatu The Vampyre 30. Frankenstein 31. Bride of Frankenstein 32. The Shining 33. Prince of Darkness 34. Body Bags 35. Creepshow 36.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

37. Creepshow 2

I think one of the reasons I enjoy Creepshow 2 more than most is because I really like all three segments. Most people say that the first story, "Old Chief Woodenhead" is the weakest, but I love it. The cigar store Indian coming to life is extremely well done, it looks and moves like its actually made of wood. I absolutely love the scene where it wakes up and puts on the war paint, then lets loose this awesome war cry. The first time it furrows its brow is also a pretty cool moment.

The Raft is The Raft, everyone here knows it kicks rear end. This kinda poo poo traumatized me as a kid, The Blob remake has a lot of similar effects. The final joke once the last man standing makes it to shore is guaranteed to get a laugh out of you, I suppose its mean spirited but the dude did just prove that he's a pervy borderline rapist so whatever.

As for The Hitchhiker, I never remember how brutal it is. The guy reminds me of the friend from American Werewolf in London who decays over the course of the movie. He gets more and more disgusting as the story goes on, and by the end there's no real human face left. Somehow the story is still hilarious though, due to the hitchhiker's "THANKS FOR THE RIDE LADY" mantra. The situation is just so absurd you can't help but laugh.

Its disappointing that it was decided to go from five stories to three, that's the only criticism I have.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

Everyone saying they don't think Texas Chainsaw holds up...incorrect

Yea I don't get it either. I watched it this week and its just as gross and uncomfortable to watch as its always been. Maybe not quite as scary as it once was, but just as effective at making you squirm.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
1. Psycho 2. Black Christmas 3. Deep Red 4. Wicker Man 5. The Mummy 6. The Curse of Frankenstein 7. Drag Me to Hell 8. Candyman 9. Child’s Play 10. Lords of Salem 11. Suspiria 12. Hellraiser 13. From Beyond 14. Evil Dead 15. Evil Dead II 16. Re-Animator 17. Necronomicon 18. The Wolfman 19. The Howling 20. An American Werewolf in London 21. Poltergeist 22. City of the Living Dead 23. Sleep Hollow 24. Curse of Chucky 25. Dracula(1931) 26. Horror of Dracula 27. Dracula(1973) 28. Dracula(1979) 29. Nosferatu The Vampyre 30. Frankenstein 31. Bride of Frankenstein 32. The Shining 33. Prince of Darkness 34. Body Bags 35. Creepshow 36.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 37. Creepshow 2

38. The Fog

Maybe this is a controversial opinion but this is my favorite Carpenter film, and in my opinion its the best looking film he ever shot.

Its funny, I had this thought while watching it this time that it has an almost British feel to it, Antonio Bay looks a lot like SummerIsle from The Wicker Man. Sure enough, I watched some interviews about the making of the movie and Carpenter says he got the idea when he was at Stonehenge with Debra Hill, the fog around the area looked supernatural to him.

The fog itself is used perfectly, and I love the fact that this is an old fashioned ghost pirate story. Its great that after Halloween Carpenter and Hill basically had a free pass to make anything they wanted, and this is what they chose to do. A good amount of my respect for Carpenter as a filmmaker comes from this film, the restraint he uses in building up suspense and then paying it off in just the right way is amazing.

Its a great cast, maybe the best ensemble cast Carpenter ever put together. Hal Holbrook and Adrienne Barbeau are the heart and soul of the film, but seeing Jamie Leigh Curtis and her mother in the same movie is a lot of fun, and Tom Atkins is his usual self.

The Fog is one of the very few horror movies that scared me as an adult, even though I had never seen it as a kid. On first viewing the scenes where the fog comes knocking on people's doors were unbearably tense, especially the one towards the end. We've seen exactly what happens in these situations a few times earlier in the film, but this time its a young child and his elderly babysitter in peril.

If you're a casual fan of Carpenter and haven't delved deeper into his work than maybe Halloween and The Thing, please stop loving around and check out The Fog immediately.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm with you on this, and have always been scared to admit it here. I loving love the fog, even though I was something like 25 the first time I saw it. Maybe it's because it's basically John Carpenter's Garfield Saves Halloween. It also has to have the softest 'R' rating I've ever seen, I'm pretty strict with what my 8 year old watches, but I'm tempted to let her watch this

The scary old man from Garfield Saves Halloween gave me more nightmares than any horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Final List

1. Psycho 2. Black Christmas 3. Deep Red 4. Wicker Man 5. The Mummy 6. The Curse of Frankenstein 7. Drag Me to Hell 8. Candyman 9. Child’s Play 10. Lords of Salem 11. Suspiria 12. Hellraiser 13. From Beyond 14. Evil Dead 15. Evil Dead II 16. Re-Animator 17. Necronomicon 18. The Wolfman 19. The Howling 20. An American Werewolf in London 21. Poltergeist 22. City of the Living Dead 23. Sleepy Hollow 24. Curse of Chucky 25. Dracula(1931) 26. Horror of Dracula 27. Dracula(1973) 28. Dracula(1979) 29. Nosferatu The Vampyre 30. Frankenstein 31. Bride of Frankenstein 32. The Shining 33. Prince of Darkness 34. Body Bags 35. Creepshow 36.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 37. Creepshow 2 38. The Fog 39. The Exorcist 40. The Exorcist II: The Heretic 41. The Exorcist III 42. Return of the Living Dead 43. Trick r Treat 44. Halloween 45. Halloween II 46. Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Had I known I had a chance at 50 I would have pushed more earlier on, but I watched 5 movies on Halloween so what can I say, the time just ran out.

While clearly my list is the best by far, I still think I want to get a little more creative next year, and maybe give some of these well worn classics a year off. I'm thinking all first time viewings for the first three weeks and classic stuff for the week of Halloween. Oh well, plenty of time to think about it!

• Locked thread