Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Dopar
Aug 26, 2015

Our world's that day joined into a friendship that was pure gold. And Earth moved into a new age, when space travel launches us into the "Age of Aquarius". The End.
What most people don't realize about Scientology is that Tom Cruise…is only five foot seven! If that man were any shorter, they could replace him with Tyrion Lannister. *Peter Dinklage Photoshopped into Mission Impossible appears to the left* I'm trying to climb this skyscraper, but my arms are just too short! They're TOO SHORT, dammit! *bangs fist on desk*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

john oliver is literally the jimmy fallon of satire news shows

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
whoa really killing it there, keep up the good posting, friend

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
*is british and smug, but at least isn't stephen loving fry*

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
sorry about your thread

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yeah, aside from a few gimmics he does, and the church he started he's really not very funny, but it's still a good show, weird

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

literally LITERALLY

Captain Dopar
Aug 26, 2015

Our world's that day joined into a friendship that was pure gold. And Earth moved into a new age, when space travel launches us into the "Age of Aquarius". The End.

Crow_Rodeo posted:

whoa really killing it there, keep up the good posting, friend

I'm a tryhard and everyone knows it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Deadly serious newsmagazine piece ~yells at cat photo~ continues piece

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I agree, it's a shame that he has to dumb it down with those lovely cutaways in order to keep Americans entertained because they're so loving dumb, he should start presenting HIGNFY in the UK or something.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i liked that show he did where other people told jokes instead of him

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Captain Tudmoke posted:

I'm a tryhard and everyone knows it

actually bitch, I don't even know who you are

Captain Dopar
Aug 26, 2015

Omelette du Fromage posted:

actually bitch, I don't even know who you are

understandable

the Powleens only just contacted the folks on the Lunar Base 1, so I'm not a celebrity yet

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
i liked the op :shrug:

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
He doesn't have a lot of variety with delivery and the setups are predictable, same with the act out response to the jokes - "That'd be like letting a monkey poo poo in the urn that contains your grandmother's ashes. **graphic of monkey superimposed on urn** No, monkey. No! You can't do that! But seriously - we actually had that graphic made for another show - seriously, back to the topic ..." - but the material and research is pretty good and they cover interesting topics.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

*Performs funny and informative monologues about public policy every week*

what a loser, better make a thread on a dying forum about it

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
*makes joke*

*shows funny clip*

*good time had by all*

just be happy hes not seth meyers

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol john oliver married a right-wing dipshit who lobbied congress for MORE war in iraq.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I was on community

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im british oi i am

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
*Starts to make a major poin––*
*STARTS TO MAKE A MAJOR POINT, THEN INTERRUPTS HIMSELF BY REPEATING HIMSELF, LOUDER!!*

Nameless_Steve fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 1, 2015

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
as a former member of the cambridge footlights, john oliver is part of world comedy's most privileged class

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Hi I'm John Oliver.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

eric posted:

Hi I'm John Oliver.

omg hahahaha so good im dying this guys holarious

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Hi everyone, since John Stewart left TV I will be your new bastion of truth and how about those conservatives ehh? So old and stinky and evil! NO MONKEY DONT poo poo IN THAT URN!

Also eat poo poo Zaltzman where's your super popular podcast now you coat tail riding hack!?!?

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
too many H's in his name to be a satirical comedy newscaster

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
He is steady good stuff to watch. His producers are doing a good job.

I should say sitcoms aren't my thing.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

tetsuo posted:

He doesn't have a lot of variety with delivery and the setups are predictable, same with the act out response to the jokes - "That'd be like letting a monkey poo poo in the urn that contains your grandmother's ashes. **graphic of monkey superimposed on urn** No, monkey. No! You can't do that! But seriously - we actually had that graphic made for another show - seriously, back to the topic ..." - but the material and research is pretty good and they cover interesting topics.

He'd be a lot funnier if he got out of his own way more often.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Now, *holds up both index fingers* to be fair...

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Captain Tudmoke posted:

What most people don't realize about Scientology is that Tom Cruise…is only five foot seven! If that man were any shorter, they could replace him with Tyrion Lannister. *Peter Dinklage Photoshopped into Mission Impossible appears to the left* I'm trying to climb this skyscraper, but my arms are just too short! They're TOO SHORT, dammit! *bangs fist on desk*

as I read this I could hear and see him saying all of it

wait was this an actual transcription of his show

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

"man say a thing. bwaaaaaaa?! *make funny face*"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
his shows are weird because every 5 minutes he remembers that he's supposed to be a comedian and awkwardly splices a lovely joke into his rants

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
I can't take a man named Oliver seriously for some reason.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
And yes the American maximum-security prison system is deeply unjust, but what about: *a picture of magneto**crowd goes wild*

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
topic named
passages from news and clips discussing it
goofy part of news taken almost out of context
THIS ISN'T ABOUT YOU BRENDA
get serious
factoid
emotional connection with person
call to action
goofy part clip re-interpreted with new actors or in a skit with oliver

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i dont have anything against john oliver but its really weird that they gave the dude whos literal joke (as in single) was "im bri-ish! Oy guv, oim in the colonies!" a full show. its not like john stewart had a dearth of corespondents

is it 30 minutes or an hour long

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
homophobes bad!

*internet rejoices*

transphobia is bad!

*internet a little more restrained*

women are often harassed on the internet!

*internet officially skeptical*

xenophobic europeans are bad!

*john oliver full revolt in effect*

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
see you on your friend's facebook page tomorrow

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

it's twenty fifteen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
there's a lot of dumb idiots in here, so i'm gonna set you straight, op. John Oliver is pretty good. sometime's he's kinda :rolleyes:

but for the most part he does a great job and he gets me chuckling a lot

• Locked thread