Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Somehow, miraculously, we’ve survived the end of September with a government that is still, somehow, managing to function. But the ride of US politics never stops, and all signs point to it only being the calm before the storm later this year… Government shutdowns, GOP shenanigans, and, of course, Trump, all are sure to make it worth coming back to the USPOL thread.

114th Congress Bingo Card

As ever in American politics, September came in like a lamb and went out like a lion, but only the 114th Congress could deliver the month that passed…

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

Hillary deleted the e-mails, but the e-mails were recovered and seem to be relevant to the FBI’s investigation, so it seems like you should definitely not vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739676&pagenumber=762&perpage=40

Dad chat link. Phone posting.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
New thread, thank god. The last one started moving a little too fast and I lost track.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Great OP as always. To start off the new month, Alabama is closing 31 driver's licence offices throughout the state leaving 29 counties without one.

8 of the top 10 counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. All of the top five counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. 11 out of the 17 counties with more than 24% of individuals living in poverty have an office closing (65%). All six counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. 59% of the 17 counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. Alabama of course has strict voter ID laws. My preferred drink is shots of Everclear. Doesn't waste my time.

JT Jag posted:

New thread, thank god. The last one started moving a little too fast and I lost track.

You missed nothing, trust me. The last couple dozen pages were... bad.

VVV Rand Paul. Other guy is Jeb Bush.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So like, is the dude in the gray suit supposed to be Jon Stewart? This has been bugging me.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Volkswagen didn't break any laws because environmental protection laws are hilarious bullshit that have never and will never be enforceable

Someone else comment on this in the new thread. I am way more interested in this than whether Jeb! backers want to throw more money into fires

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dear Comrade Cosmobot, suggested addition to the long pieces list: Ta-Nehisi Coates: The Black Family in the Age of Mass Incarceration

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Volkswagen didn't break any laws because environmental protection laws are hilarious bullshit that have never and will never be enforceable

Someone else comment on this in the new thread. I am way more interested in this than whether Jeb! backers want to throw more money into fires

Apparently what they did isnt punishable for a car maker under the clean air act. They've likely committed other crimes by lying to regulators.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Yesterday, a bill arrived on the floor of North Carolina's General Assembly that would have made it illegal for local municipalities to raise the minimum wage, establish affordable housing mandates, or institute landlord-tenet relations. It also would have blocked any rules against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The bill, originally intended to regulate the licensing of counselors, had provisions added to it moments before voting began. Consequently, representatives were preparing to vote when they received word that their previously uncontroversial bill would have, among other things, completely undone the concept of federalism in the state of North Carolina. City Lab reports:

quote:

The News & Observer reports that the changes were added to the bill by state Senator Chad Barefoot and Representative Paul Stam late Monday night. The senate bill is another example of the “gut-and-amend” style of introducing sweeping changes late in session. The bill could reach the governor’s desk as soon as Tuesday afternoon.

The bill as amended would deny local and county governments the authority to raise the minimum wage within their jurisdictions. Under the state’s new “general ordinance-making powers,” city and county governments would lose the ability to regulate any private employment practices—opening the door to conservative discrimination against LGBTQ and Muslim customers and employees.

Local governments would further be restricted from passing any laws or ordinances that would “[r]egulate or control vehicular or pedestrian traffic on a street or highway under the control of the Board of Transportation” and some other rights of way.

One of the biggest usurpations of power in the amendment concerns fair housing. The bill would amend the State Fair Housing Act to prohibit any body except the state government from setting affordable-housing goals, mandates, minimums, or other practices.

An effort to pass a state-level Religious Freedom Restoration Act (such as the Indiana law that garnered widespread criticism earlier this year) for North Carolina failed earlier this year. In Charlotte, a local ordinance that would have added sexual orientation and gender identity to nondiscrimination protected categories also failed by a narrow margin.

This amendment—to a completely unrelated bill regarding licensure standards—would restrict cities such as Charlotte from even considering things like a local nondiscrimination ordinance. Senate Bill 279 would simultaneously secure special rights for conservative and Christian landowners and businessmen.

“These provisions were inserted in the conference report with no prior public notice. They did not appear in any prior version of the bill as it was debated in committee or on the floor of either chamber,” Charlotte Mayor Daniel G. Clodfelter said in a statement addressed to delegates from Mecklenberg County. “These provisions set our community back nearly half a century and will have a lasting negative impact on everyone.”

The amended bill is a bold move. In several passages within the bill, the text lists the purpose of the amendment as “local governments preempted.” That’s an understatement.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So like, is the dude in the gray suit supposed to be Jon Stewart? This has been bugging me.

Olbermann's comeback begins

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It's amazing that they're creating the totalitarian State they claim to be against. I know it's always projection, but gawdamn.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

Olbermann's comeback begins

If the US does find itself under President Trump I think you could have Olbermann right before/after Maddow and Stewart alongside Colbert and still not run out of material.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Kinda looks like Conan O'Brien, but that doesn't make sense.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Freakazoid_ posted:

Kinda looks like Conan O'Brien, but that doesn't make sense.

The hair suggests that it is Rand Paul.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

QuoProQuid posted:

The hair suggests that it is Rand Paul.

That's who I thought it was, too.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

QuoProQuid posted:

Yesterday, a bill arrived on the floor of North Carolina's General Assembly that would have made it illegal for local municipalities to raise the minimum wage, establish affordable housing mandates, or institute landlord-tenet relations. It also would have blocked any rules against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The bill, originally intended to regulate the licensing of counselors, had provisions added to it moments before voting began. Consequently, representatives were preparing to vote when they received word that their previously uncontroversial bill would have, among other things, completely undone the concept of federalism in the state of North Carolina. City Lab reports:
Whether we're talking about the Constitution, the Presidency, Congress, the Supreme Court, local or state governments and judiciaries - the only government Republicans will accept is the one in which they are in absolute control, above the rule of law.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34397272
well trump actualy went there. I am kinda not surprised.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

Great OP as always. To start off the new month, Alabama is closing 31 driver's licence offices throughout the state leaving 29 counties without one.

8 of the top 10 counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. All of the top five counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. 11 out of the 17 counties with more than 24% of individuals living in poverty have an office closing (65%). All six counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. 59% of the 17 counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. Alabama of course has strict voter ID laws. My preferred drink is shots of Everclear. Doesn't waste my time.

Ugh. I'm glad to hear that guy say a lawsuit is certain, this is outrageous and clearly the final intent of a lot of the voter ID laws.

Unbelievably bold and stupid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Ugh. I'm glad to hear that guy say a lawsuit is certain, this is outrageous and clearly the final intent of a lot of the voter ID laws.

Unbelievably bold and stupid.

quote:

So roll out the welcome wagon to the Justice Department, and tell the world what it already so desperately wants to hear.

That Alabama is exactly what they always thought she was.

That Alabama refuses to pay for its own government, and used it as an excuse to keep black people from the polls. That Alabama hasn't changed a bit.

I'd say they have us all wrong. I'd love to say they have us all wrong.

But the numbers say they don't.

Another good editorial on the same law here: http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/09/alabama_sends_message_we_are_t.html#incart_river_home

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

And in other hosed up North Carolina news:

quote:

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and Charlotte City Council are discussing whether to create “public safety zones,” city areas where people with past arrests would be prohibited from entering.

Under the controversial proposal, Chief Kerr Putney could designate a high-crime area as a safety zone in response to crimes such as drug sales or discharging guns that were committed on public property.

Someone who has been arrested for crimes in the area could be issued a notice that they are no longer allowed to enter, for as long as the safety zone is in effect. Entering the zone after being prohibited would be a misdemeanor.

The bans could be appealed for reasons that include entering the area to go to work or to pick up a child from school...

The city has been experimenting with different tactics to lower crime. In addition to the injunction against gang members, the city has used a public nuisance ordinance, which gives it the ability to seize private property from owners who continually have police come to their property.

“Truthfully, I don’t know if they will do any good,” said City Council member Claire Fallon, who chairs the public safety committee. The committee heard a CMPD presentation about the zones in early September. “If someone doesn’t obey the law, do you think a safety zone will impress them?”

Fallon also said she’s worried the safety zones would simply move crime from one part of the city to another.

“We would take it off the plate of one community and then put them on another community,” she said.

A CMPD presentation to council members notes the zones could be an “additional tool to assist in maintaining or repairing a neighborhood or location’s reputation” and could also “disrupt nuisance criminal activity.”

But the department also acknowledges that there are downsides.

Among them: a perception that the zones would be “an overhanded arbitrary government action” and would place a harmful “brand” on a neighborhood.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34397272
well trump actualy went there. I am kinda not surprised.

A true Christian :patriot:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

QuoProQuid posted:

Basically "gently caress Asheville, the Bill."

edit: oh and the NYTimes has found so little dirt from the Hillary Emails releases that they have started discussing the spam she got:

quote:

Among the emails released Wednesday were five that appear to be attempts by hackers to penetrate Mrs. Clinton’s email system. The messages appear to be notices of speeding tickets from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. But the emails are well known as phishing attempts by hackers in Russia. It is not clear whether Mrs. Clinton clicked on the malware-infected messages.

By itself, the spam directed at Mrs. Clinton’s email does not indicate that her server was infected, or that the Russian hackers suspected of originating the phishing campaign had access to her network. But it does raise questions, because the State Department itself has been subjected to relentless attacks from Russian cyberespionage experts.

The emails could have been randomly generated, rather than directed at her. But because her email address was not widely known, the attempt to lure her to respond to a fake email probably passed through someone who knew her well enough to have the address, and to be an unknowing conduit for the infected email.

Next they'll talk about how one of her backers is probably running a lesbian prostitution ring because of all the emails about hot women that want to gently caress.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 1, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
ndiana GOP’s House Leader resigns after texting sexually explicit video of himself cheating on wife to everyone on his “Contacts” list

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/30/ind...dium=socialflow

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Stereotype posted:

Estimates are that between 1400 and 5100 people died from the added air pollution from this and we can't do anything?

VW killing people by pumping out toxic gases. What would their founder think of this behavior?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

Estimates are that between 1400 and 5100 people died from the added air pollution from this and we can't do anything?

VW killing people by pumping out toxic gases. What would their founder think of this behavior?

There's always criminal fraud. Only thing that's really required is prosecutorial will; a good prosecutor can find something to charge them with if he or she wants to.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

And this month in "Great Job, Alabama:"

Alabama Closes Driver's License Offices in Blackest Counties

This is a state where a photo ID is required to vote. So when are we just going to break the state apart and have the neighboring states absorb it?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fried Chicken posted:

This is probably bad news for VW. If the EPA doesn't have the option of a symbolic but largely toothless criminal conviction they might do something more drastic like demand the cars be taken off the road.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Zapf Dingbat posted:

And this month in "Great Job, Alabama:"

Alabama Closes Driver's License Offices in Blackest Counties

This is a state where a photo ID is required to vote. So when are we just going to break the state apart and have the neighboring states absorb it?

someone posted about it up-page a little, but yes it's really atrocious

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

It is not clear whether Mrs. Clinton clicked on the malware-infected messages.

This is what we're down to? This?! I loving hope someday I'm popular enough that major news outlets are going to sifting through my spam folder pondering whether or not I really did buy that Cialis and Viagra.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That bill would not have destroyed federalism in NC. Municipalities are a creation of state law to begin with.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nice to see NC is trying to become the new Kansas

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is what we're down to? This?! I loving hope someday I'm popular enough that major news outlets are going to sifting through my spam folder pondering whether or not I really did buy that Cialis and Viagra.
This is like reason #101 why you shouldn't loving have classified info on unsecured machines.

This entire scandal really amuses me though because it's always fun watching a rich person laugh off a raft of felonies that would send me to jail for the rest of my life.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

edit: oh and the NYTimes has found so little dirt from the Hillary Emails releases that they have started discussing the spam she got:

quote:

But it does raise questions, because the State Department itself has been subjected to relentless attacks from Russian cyberespionage experts.
I like how this writer inadvertently gives a completely justifiable reason for why the Secretary of State should have access to a separate and publicly unknown email server.

Also got to love the "just raising questions!" concern trolling.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The nyt has like 3 reporters just covering HRC. They have to do something all day.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I like how they claim it was some super targeted email when the Clintons don't drive.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ndiana GOP’s House Leader resigns after texting sexually explicit video of himself cheating on wife to everyone on his “Contacts” list

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/30/ind...dium=socialflow

It's always nice to have a hearty laugh with my morning cup of coffee.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I do love that fresh new thread smell.

As far as my two cents are concerned, I badly want a political comedy called Hillz 'n' Huma...a kind of mash-up of The West Wing and The Office.

Can Hillary get someone at the State switchboard to believe that yes, she really is Hillary Clinton, while simultaneously consoling Huma on the thing with her unfortunately named husband!? Tune in to find out, at 9/8 central, only on NBC! (We peacock comedy.)

Oh, you mean we already have Veep? Ah well.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Breaking news: Hillary Clinton corresponding with a number of Nigerian royals; requests made to hide large sums of money; possible connection to Clinton Foundation? More at 11.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's supposed to be Rand Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Shifty Pony posted:

I like how they claim it was some super targeted email when the Clintons don't drive.

Also the "cyber experts" from Russia that keep sending "You have an unpaid ticket!"

No one has ever been pulled over and asked for an email address.

• Locked thread