Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

Oh right, I'm the bad guy because I casually posted something positive about Bernie in the US politics thread and called someone out for posting misleading information. The chase out has been acknowledged. Dissenting opinions in this thread beware. Glad it only took until page 2.

No it's because every day some guy who just heard about politics this very day and is like "wow this Bernie guy sure is something" comes in here like they are bringing tablets down from Mt. Sinai and they actually don't know anything about presidential politics. And today that's you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

Dissenting opinions in this thread beware. Glad it only took until page 2.

Well seeing how we have a million threads dedicated to loving the Chicken-man, I'm not exactly sure what the "dissenting opinion" in the Democratic primary is on this forum.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CommieGIR posted:

People want him to run, the media wants him to run, so everyone is just running under the assumption he is running despite the fact that he has really not said he will.
The Times just published some article today titled 'Clinton Campaign Increasingly Concerned by Biden Run'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Times just published some article today titled 'Clinton Campaign Increasingly Concerned by Biden Run'

The media wants Biden to run so bad it's hard to separate out their own wishful thinking from objective analysis. I'd still like to see the article if you have a link handy, though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/u...WT.nav=top-news

quote:

Aides to Mr. Biden did not comment. And Clinton aides, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they did not want to be identified discussing strategy in public, said that the effort to mobilize Democrats behind her was a natural progression of her candidacy, and unrelated to any potential challenger.

But several Democrats who have been in close contact with the campaign say they see a new sense of seriousness among her advisers about the prospect of a Biden candidacy. Mrs. Clinton’s team has been adamant that they are not behind efforts to draw negative attention to Mr. Biden, or to do anything to pressure him.

Bunch of anonymous sources trying to craft a narrative. Same dumb poo poo that the Times has been pulling for a while now. I don't really understand their angle.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mozi posted:

Bunch of anonymous sources trying to craft a narrative. Same dumb poo poo that the Times has been pulling for a while now. I don't really understand their angle.

They loving hate HRC is their angle. But yeah that article is bullshit, imo.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mozi posted:

the NYT's editor admitted to media matters that they have a serious problem with hillary and reporting on her

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

The media wants Biden to run so bad it's hard to separate out their own wishful thinking from objective analysis. I'd still like to see the article if you have a link handy, though.

Yeah, like CNN can barely hide their lust for a biden run.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mozi posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/joe-biden-abortion-1974_560c5ee3e4b076812700b4d6

:tinfoil:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah, like CNN can barely hide their lust for a biden run.

They're supposed to be the Clinton News Network :qq:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

They're supposed to be the Clinton News Network :qq:

In the course I have prepped for an online Journalism class, there's a whole unit on "THERE IS NO LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS, THE'S A MAKING MONEY BIAS"

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ndiana GOP’s House Leader resigns after texting sexually explicit video of himself cheating on wife to everyone on his “Contacts” list

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/30/ind...dium=socialflow

How does this keep happening? Why on earth, as a sitting house member, would you record such a video? Like I'm not even mad at the hypocrisy of regulating other people's marriages while cheating, I just want to know how all our elected leaders are so idiotic that they keep having leaks of that sort of material.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

RaySmuckles posted:

Oh right, I'm the bad guy because I casually posted something positive about Bernie in the US politics thread and called someone out for posting misleading information. The chase out has been acknowledged. Dissenting opinions in this thread beware. Glad it only took until page 2.

fool_of_sound posted:

Being an aggressively whiny gently caress is neither debate nor discussion.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

You are underselling this: 8 out of 10 of the counties with the highest minority voter registration percentage are not just losing a driver's license office, they will have NO drivers license office. Those six counties you mention with highest black percentage, NO OFFICE.

No they have a board of registrars office where it is possible to get an ID so everything's totally hunky-dory.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish the media would leave Biden in peace. It's obvious he wants to run but knows he would just get his heart broken and is going to stay out of it. The media keeps goading him with false hope.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nevermind. Wrong general.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Oh, right. That's been a pretty longstanding thing.

The thing is... does nobody remember that Biden already ran for the presidency a few times? Recently? And people weren't crazy about it? He's a good VP because he knows how to get around from his decades in the Senate and is pretty genial, but he's got skeletons up the wazoo and his policy positions didn't grab people. It's just... we need another warm body in this thing! Horse race horse race horse race!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mozi posted:

Oh, right. That's been a pretty longstanding thing.

The thing is... does nobody remember that Biden already ran for the presidency a few times? Recently? And people weren't crazy about it? He's a good VP because he knows how to get around from his decades in the Senate and is pretty genial, but he's got skeletons up the wazoo and his policy positions didn't grab people. It's just... we need another warm body in this thing! Horse race horse race horse race!

Some people have! The ones who are being objective journalists about it and not either out to make money or have an axe to grind against HRC.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

And the man's doing a heck of a job at it too.
He beat Obama's individual donation record and has virtual fundraising parity with Hillary; for now.

Obama, excluding donors that donated more than 200 in a single contribution forcing their disclosure, still averaged ~60 bucks a donation.

Bernie is averaging 30.

Other than NH, he's losing by 30ish points in the polls that have any relevance (the ones that don't poll Biden.) In North Carolina he is losing to a guy who isn't even running (again, Biden.)

He has basically no party support (in SHARP contrast to Obama.)

I mean, he's doing a heck of a job in that people talk about him, but not in the sense that he's going to win.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
If Clinton had to drop out for whatever reason, Biden would probably win the Dem nomination

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

More gubernatorial campaign info from the Herald Leader.

They did a regional breakdown of their most recent poll.

Bevin leading in rural parts of the state, including much of coal country. This suggests that Republican attempts to tie Conway to OBAMA'S WAR ON COAL may be succeeding with many voters, despite Conway's extremely cozy relationship with the coal industry.

But the biggest/most surprising takeaway is that Conway is leading in Northern Kentucky. The population in that region is largely comprised of relatively affluent suburbs and exurbs of Cincinnati. These folk are normally Republican voters, but of the socially-liberal, fiscally-gently caress-you variety common to well-off suburbanites. It appears many of them may be willing to flip or stay home, if the Republican candidate is an arch-conservative culture-warrior like Bevin.

Louisville and Lexington can't normally outvote the rest of the state by themselves, but the equation changes if counties like Boone, Kenton and Campbell are actually in play.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jackofarcades posted:

If Clinton had to drop out for whatever reason, Biden would probably win the Dem nomination

That could be a reason why he hasn't said he won't run, because he's Hillary's backup just in case.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

If Hillary had to drop out for anything short of a heart attack, it would be a disaster of 1972 proportions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Coatlicue posted:

How does this keep happening? Why on earth, as a sitting house member, would you record such a video? Like I'm not even mad at the hypocrisy of regulating other people's marriages while cheating, I just want to know how all our elected leaders are so idiotic that they keep having leaks of that sort of material.

Everybody loves hot old-rich-whitedude-on-staffer action I guess

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If Hillary had to drop out for anything short of a heart attack, it would be a disaster of 1972 proportions.

All we need to do to recreate 1972 would be to have the Democrats nominate the true liberal candidate the left wing loves but is unable to deal with the dirty tricks the Republicans are already using.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McGovernmania is catching on!

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 1, 2015

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Some people have! The ones who are being objective journalists about it and not either out to make money or have an axe to grind against HRC.

So nobody.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Sorus posted:

So nobody.

Nah, Vox of all places, has been pretty good about it, and Nate Silver's shop as well. Greg Sargent has been pretty on point too.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

They're a good surrogate for a "solid supporter" that is to say, if you've donated to someone you're going to vote for someone. So nationally, there are at least 1 million people who will vote Sanders. That's to be expected based on his poll numbers.

It will be interesting if Sanders and Carson both keep up this level of fundraising.

Million donations, not donors. Typically, a significant proportion of donors donate more than once (for example, Bernie supporters scraping together their allowance on a weekly basis) - for Obama it was probably at least half of his donors. And it's more common in small donors for the obvious reason.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

Million donations, not donors. Typically, a significant proportion of donors donate more than once (for example, Bernie supporters scraping together their allowance on a weekly basis) - for Obama it was probably at least half of his donors. And it's more common in small donors for the obvious reason.

Oh poo poo yeah, misread that. This is an even more contrived bar than I thought.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@THEHermanCain: NERVE RESTORED: Excellent! Fiorina would bring back waterboarding http://t.co/3JdMUGFgck

Holy poo poo these people are monsters and have absolutely no self-awareness at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh poo poo yeah, misread that. This is an even more contrived bar than I thought.

Yeah I thought it was unique donors as well.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Nate Cohn is also a good guy to follow in terms of actually paying attention to reality when reporting on Clinton-Sanders stuff, even if he's under the NYT masthead.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If it happened in the next couple months Biden could probably step in and salvage the situation. I still think he's waiting to see if anything actually comes from the FBI investigation of the stupid email scandal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Coatlicue posted:

It's an ego thing. There's nothing more to it than that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

smg77 posted:

If it happened in the next couple months Biden could probably step in and salvage the situation. I still think he's waiting to see if anything actually comes from the FBI investigation of the stupid email scandal.

He's not because it won't and because it would require Obama's DOJ to prosecute it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He's not because it won't and because it would require Obama's DOJ to prosecute it.

I wonder what impeaching lame duck Obama over his refusal to prosecute the Democratic nominee would do to Independent turnout...

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Holy poo poo these people are monsters and have absolutely no self-awareness at all.

Once they said waterboarding wasn't torture, it can never be torture.

Never mind that everyone that's said it wasn't torture and then submitted themselves to it changed their mind.

And then their's Hannity, who's a massive chicken hawk poo poo and won't own up to his promise to submit to it after he claimed he would.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Related, the Republican primary polls have been basically consistent for the last week-and-a-half:
Trump leads the pack, Carson's next, Fiorina's place fluctuates between tying with Carson and being with the rest of the (single digit) pack, and then you've got the rest of the high single-digit pack: Jeb! and Cruz, with new addition Rubio.

The next debate cuts off at 3%, and assuming polls stay consistent, those 6 are the only ones above 3%. So say hi to your top 6 Republican candidates: Trump, Carson, Fiorina, Cruz, Jeb!, and Rubio.

The only establishment guys among them are Jeb! and Rubio, and Jeb!, uh...

Jeb!'s got problems. Many, many problems.

So let's see if Rubio can stand up to Trump, or crumble into a sweating, dry-mouthed heap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
:lol: House Republicans including Chaffetz are pissed McCarthy gave the game away

quote:

Speaking to CNN's Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room," Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, said McCarthy should apologize, saying the California Republican made an "absolutely inappropriate statement."

Privately, Republicans were outraged by the remarks, saying the House majority leader had given Democrats unfounded ammunition to argue that the committee's investigation is squarely being driven by politics. Republicans on the committee had tried for months to keep the focus of the inquiry on the administration's handling of the attacks, avoiding getting into the ins and outs of the various aspects on the email stories.

But in one fell swoop, McCarthy undercut their strategy.

"I might have said it differently," Rep. Darrell Issa, R-California, told CNN. "Any ancillary political activity that comes out of it is, in fact, not the goal of the committee and is not what the committee is seeking to do."

Added Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, "I totally disagree with those comments." Asked if they could jeopardize his bid for speaker, the conservative Amash said: "I think it should be a concern."

• Locked thread