Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I hope you're as understanding as you are with the NRA when they respond to this tragedy.

I don't see tweeting at a person already tweeting about the thing as some sort of callous dangerous practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

pathetic little tramp posted:

The controls people are asking for are just, like, national background checks and closing the gun show loophole right?

Depending, but that was the bill that Manchin and Tommey put forward and went know where and, imo, was the best chance at any small change in gun laws.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gawker lol but Buzzfeed's editor had to apologize for supporting gun control recently. Nothing will ever change in this country about guns.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The controls people are asking for are just, like, national background checks and closing the gun show loophole right?

This and I believe actually tracking deaths due to guns again.

Like I'm totally ok with gun ownership and the fact that these aren't done is loving dumb.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The former already exists, actually. It's even called the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The problem with it is that the National Criminal Information Center doesn't actually have 100% of all records instantaneously available (as many police departments and court systems are still using paper records that aren't totally digitized) and questions have been brought up as to its reliability. It's also not open to the public, which makes it virtually impossible for civilians to actually confirm that they're not selling to a criminal...when they actually care about checking.

Dylann Roof getting his gun is the best example of the lack of reliability. He had a pending court date for a felony charge and was thus banned from owning a gun anywhere in the United States. The problem is that the police records made it unclear which police department had arrested him and thus had jurisdiction and the records of the incident, and it had to be manually checked. After long enough of being unable to confirm the red flag, the system removed it and released the gun to him.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 1, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Oregon already has that, assuming he got his guns in-state.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Those are two of the big ones. The other common ones are "hey let's not sell guns that shoot dozens of bullets real fast" and "let's not sell magazines that let you shoot so many bullets before needing to reload." The two you mentioned are mostly about preventing these and other sorts of shootings, last two are more about reducing the number of casualties in mass shootings.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If I can find one single person alive who says "we don't need guns" it means that all gun control advocates want to take away our guns and/or institute a dictatorship.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

zoux posted:

I don't see tweeting at a person already tweeting about the thing as some sort of callous dangerous practice.

You cannot fathom, even if the woman who originally tweeted that message had also asked to be interviewed, the awful practices of news organizations to instantly pounce on a story with no care of the circumstances?

gently caress, man.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
We don't need guns, take them all away from the retarded inbred American hicks who cling to them above all else.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TGLT posted:

Those are two of the big ones. The other common ones are "hey let's not sell guns that shoot dozens of bullets real fast" and "let's not sell magazines that let you shoot so many bullets before needing to reload." The two you mentioned are mostly about preventing these and other sorts of shootings, last two are more about reducing the number of casualties in mass shootings.

Someone's really going to need to teach you about reloading at some point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

You cannot fathom, even if the woman who originally tweeted that message had also asked to be interviewed, the awful practices of news organizations to instantly pounce on a story with no care of the circumstances?

gently caress, man.

As everyone in the country furiously refreshes their browsers for the merest scrap of information about it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly, reloading is just as fast as having a larger magazine, which is one one-round magazines are so common. 'Cause it's just as fast to reload. Right?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Radbot posted:

We don't need guns, take them all away from the retarded inbred American hicks who cling to them above all else.

Draft all 18-24 year old white men so they can be surrounded by good guys with guns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

You make a good point about the banning of semiautomatic weapons.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone is concerned about if a mass shooter filled their rounds themselves or not.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oregon already has that, assuming he got his guns in-state.

Oregon just closed the gun show loophole this year. Like, [urk=http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/33386692-75/oregon-gun-sale-background-checks-law-gets-off-to-rough-start.html.csp]two months ago[/url], so it also depends on how recently the shooter got their guns.

chitoryu12 posted:

You put the magazines into the gun, unless they are empty. Then instead you put the bullets into the magazine first, then the gun. Or you just don't do it.

That about sum it up?

Radbot posted:

Exactly, reloading is just as fast as having a larger magazine, which is one one-round magazines are so common. 'Cause it's just as fast to reload. Right?

It's about high capacity magazines, sorry if that wasn't entirely clear. The idea is the lower the capacity, the more frequently you have to reload (which can mean more people getting away), and the fewer bullets you can feasibly carry at once.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

The speeds at which TFR/GiP posters manage to show up at the mere instance of guns or gun control chat is pretty impressive, imo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol if your gun skills aren't on par with the guys in Equilibrium.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

this_is_hard posted:

The speeds at which TFR/GiP posters manage to show up at the mere instance of guns or gun control chat is pretty impressive, imo.

It's pretty predictable, we allow opposing viewpoints in D&D without instant bans/probation, unlike TFR/GiP.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Official number dead so far is 13

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
check out Morgan Spurlock's "Inside man" S1E2 - Guns on Netflix... it was filmed shortly after Sandy Hook and it's a super depressing look into gun culture in America.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

this_is_hard posted:

i'm pretty sure they have an actual siren that goes off whenever someone mentions guns in another forum.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sad to say this but I guess this is going to be one of the "significant" ones.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
One of the advantages of UHC is that it could pay for penis implants for all the tiny-penised gun lovers in America.

It's hard to blame them, really. Gotta cling to something when being white and male isn't what it used to be.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

13 guns confiscated by Obummer's secret gun police? God drat it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol if your gun skills aren't on par with the guys in Equilibrium.

Gunkata is a legitimate art tyvm.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

New USA Today/Suffolk poll, Martin O'Malley is polling at 0% percent

For comparison, Larry Lessig is at 0.47% and Lincoln Chafee is at 0.7%

Lessigmentum! He's up 0.27%!

Nocturtle posted:

I realize this response is correct and this whole e-mail affair is a politically driven effort to make Hillary Clinton look bad. However this still seems like a really poor system, why are state dept heads allowed to have private email servers when there's some chance the information in their email might become classified in the future? Isn't it still a problem that information was sent to this private server that later became classified?

What's supposed to be the problem there? Why should we care that something eventually got classified? It's not like the server was any less secure than the regular government systems, either.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Short answer: They aren't. It's 100% against policy

Not when Hillary did it. (or during the second Bush administration, or the first Clinton administration, and not during the first Bush administration or the Reagan administration though it woulda been a pain in the rear end to actually do it before the mid 90s)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Police were apparently exchanging gunfire with the guy within 5 minutes of the initial 911 call.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Nothing will ever change in this country about guns.

We already knew this when nothing changed after Sandy Hook.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

As someone who grew up in the South where literally everyone hunts I genuinely do not understand the absolute supernatural level of devotion and paranoia people have about ARE GUNS.

It really borders on an almost religious fervor.

Radbot posted:

One of the advantages of UHC is that it could pay for penis implants for all the tiny-penised gun lovers in America.

It's hard to blame them, really. Gotta cling to something when being white and male isn't what it used to be.

basically this.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/foothill-high-school-on-lockdown

Shot or shots fired at a high school / elementary school campus, on lockdown, no one seems to have been hurt.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

chitoryu12 posted:

This is always the most :laffo: response next to "if they didn't have a gun they would just mass stab those 15 people!!!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

this_is_hard posted:

Well, the other option is that a bunch of people who have a really bare understanding of how guns work and how they're used (assuming they aren't completely clueless) keep trying to make decisions about them.

I'll say what I said the last time: firearms is the only subject I've seen where the people who actually have a deep understanding of the subject matter are called crazy thugs if they try to participate.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Can mods reopen the Gunthread and make talking about guns in any other thread a bannable offense? Asking for a friend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, the other option is that a bunch of people who have a really bare understanding of how guns work and how they're used (assuming they aren't completely clueless) keep trying to make decisions about them.

I'll say what I said the last time: firearms is the only subject I've seen where the people who actually have a deep understanding of the subject matter are called crazy thugs if they try to participate.

Oh I know what guns are used for.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

this_is_hard posted:

I'm sure the "ban all guns, kill all gun owners" rhetoric that pops up here after every shooting has absolutely nothing to do with that.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

zoux posted:

Sad to say this but I guess this is going to be one of the "significant" ones.

Significant in what way?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Yes, a deep mechanical and tactical knowledge of guns are required before making any sort of judgement on their effects to American society.

Lmao if you don't know how to reload an AR15 by muscle memory, just lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

Significant in what way?

Well you have ones where only a couple of people die and they don't really crack the political zeitgeist, then you have the Aurora theater, Va Tech, Sandy Hook, etc. The ones you can list by name.

Like this is going to be the campaign issue for the next two weeks.

• Locked thread