Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

The media wants Biden to run so bad it's hard to separate out their own wishful thinking from objective analysis. I'd still like to see the article if you have a link handy, though.

Yeah, like CNN can barely hide their lust for a biden run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

They're supposed to be the Clinton News Network :qq:

In the course I have prepped for an online Journalism class, there's a whole unit on "THERE IS NO LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS, THE'S A MAKING MONEY BIAS"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mozi posted:

Oh, right. That's been a pretty longstanding thing.

The thing is... does nobody remember that Biden already ran for the presidency a few times? Recently? And people weren't crazy about it? He's a good VP because he knows how to get around from his decades in the Senate and is pretty genial, but he's got skeletons up the wazoo and his policy positions didn't grab people. It's just... we need another warm body in this thing! Horse race horse race horse race!

Some people have! The ones who are being objective journalists about it and not either out to make money or have an axe to grind against HRC.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

If Hillary had to drop out for anything short of a heart attack, it would be a disaster of 1972 proportions.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Sorus posted:

So nobody.

Nah, Vox of all places, has been pretty good about it, and Nate Silver's shop as well. Greg Sargent has been pretty on point too.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

smg77 posted:

If it happened in the next couple months Biden could probably step in and salvage the situation. I still think he's waiting to see if anything actually comes from the FBI investigation of the stupid email scandal.

He's not because it won't and because it would require Obama's DOJ to prosecute it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

nachos posted:

:lol: House Republicans including Chaffetz are pissed McCarthy gave the game away

ahahahahahaa excellent

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I don't see how anyone in the whole world could be surprised that the longest running congressional investigation of all time that also involves the front runner for the Dem nomination for the president is anything but a political farce. Like is there someone today devastated by this revelation?

fictional narrative is important

but its more important in the sense that mccarthy is going to be on a short leash with these idiots so,

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

If you're polling at 2.5% why are you still even spending money on your pipe dream? You got your sound bites and pundit offers. Just let it go, also-rans!

at 2.5% you're within MOE of Jeb!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So why is Trey Gowdy leaving congress.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

No word yet, and the "announcement" wasn't from him, it was from Rep Flemming, though afaik he hasn't said it was wrong

Guesses?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Haley as VP pick, he runs for governor in the Special election?

That seems awfully -- premature don't you think?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Very. But other than that or "I want to spend my days in a beach drinking rum" I can't think of why he would retire.

Can we hope for some sort of personal scandal?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

If t won't blow up for another 2 years, why indicate one now?

get it out of the way so he can rehab and run for office again, a la sanford?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/01/us/oregon-college-shooting/index.html

:smith:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

The controls people are asking for are just, like, national background checks and closing the gun show loophole right?

Depending, but that was the bill that Manchin and Tommey put forward and went know where and, imo, was the best chance at any small change in gun laws.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I see what you did there.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Meaningful gun control would be the following.

Any firearm that can fire more than one round per trigger pull or any firearm with a barrel length under 14" should be treated exactly the same regarding gun control laws.

All firearm sales require a minimum 15 day waiting period & federal background check, including gun sales between two parties.

15-day waiting period is really kind of needless in today's technology world, tbqh. Its not like there's a human doing any of that. (also a real federal background check is super expensive)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Waiting periods actually do a lot with preventing crimes of passion, and obviously it would not be the full-on federal background check.

I am saying a 15-day waiting period is excessive.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

greatn posted:

That seems like a relatively short amount of time, what's excessive about it? Two weeks used to be standard shipping.

15-days for buying something in person is kind of strange, given the actual check is completely electronic. That's three business weeks. That's longer than it takes to get a car loan.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dude mass shootings get a disproportionate amount of national attention c'mon

Yes, and? So do plane crashes to car crashes.

You're making the wrong point about regular homicides and gun crimes vs mass shootings.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spaceman Future! posted:

I bet if nobody had a gun they would buy carbon fiber knives and strap poo poo to the knives and then one dude would have a machete in the knife shop and all the other guys would be "ohhh man thats a big dick" until people were walking around with buster swords and talking about sword rights.

which is still less annoying than now so lets do that.

You do know this was a whole thing in Japan at the end of the shogunate.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

You know Hitler actually loosened gun laws, right?

:ssh: you're breaking the narrative

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Though let's be fair, anyone who thinks that if the US Military turned on its people it would certainly not be under a Democratic president (1) and (2) your lovely little knock off ak would not be able to defend you from the arsenal we have equipped our military with.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Check out this guy who never saw the documentary Red Dawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJRn42qWkc 5:02

"a conservative mind can't chart the course for the new world order"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

I dunno, the Iraqis seem to have done a good job.

You could hold out with some guerrilla tactics, sure. But effectively, if the US Military wanted to enact martial law, it wouldn't exactly be short of a crap shoot.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Require a license to purchase a gun, which can only be obtained after training and passing a safety test.

At least that way people who get guns would get the same amount of screening as people who want to drive a car.

Yeah this is my proposal. Though I am not sure on the constitutionality, since driving a car is not something generally enshrined in the constitutions as a right.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

There are other things like cutting off food, water, and electricity that could be done pretty easily and have big effects.

I think that goes without saying.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Didn't everyone already know this?

Shocking news! People who can pass a criminal background check are not often involved in crimes!

The point is that it doesn't do what people say it does, which is "reduce crime."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Speaking of which, does it seem like McCarthy's dumbass admission about the BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! committee will have legs?

It means he's going to have to give the FREEDOM nutters a bone in terms of leadership positions, but the only real thing it did is give Hillary a great sound byte for an add when it becomes a Republican advert in the General.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Eventually he's just gonna sit slumped on his podium, silent, for the first 10 minutes of the press conference, before muttering "Here we are again."

I think his speech last night was a template Democrats should use to talk about gun control in both content and tone. I wish we had gotten more of that forceful tone from him throughout his presidency.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

What President would you point to as an example of getting really mad (specifically in public speeches)?

We must, we must draw a line in the sand and across the line... you do not cross.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Well, as a general rule, he's always sort of been "calm, cool and collected" -- "No Drama Obama" as they often called him in '07/08.

But in modern presidencies, his emotive display is relatively rare. Like even Lyndon Johnson was demure in public speeches.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

This is exciting!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

euphronius posted:

It's not every day the Pentagon admits to blowing up an active hospital. Jesus Christ.

would you prefer they lied about it?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's a sad day when you can't even trust your own government to lie to you.

THANKS OBAMA

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Jarmak posted:

I think there's a lot of people in this thread who don't know what a war crime is.

I'd like to have a dollar for every war crime we've committed. I'd be very rich.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Do you mean actual war crimes or the imaginary definition that this thread is using?

Why not both. I like money.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

And there would be people here defending it.

It's almost like we've been through that!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

The hospital was in a bomb free zone.

I think you misunderstand what I was saying ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

Apparently Lindsay Graham is asking for federal funds to help with the flooding in SC.

I hope a precondition for the funds is that Graham has to shake hands and possibly hug Obama.

He also said Hillary is "risking the spectre of four dead ameruicans"

• Locked thread