Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nice to see NC is trying to become the new Kansas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

People want him to run, the media wants him to run, so everyone is just running under the assumption he is running despite the fact that he has really not said he will.
The Times just published some article today titled 'Clinton Campaign Increasingly Concerned by Biden Run'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Here's the problem: Biden is to the current right of most Dem voters on things like drug policy. He would be more conservative than anyone in the race except maybe Chafee or Webb. His support is not going to be what people think it would.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Isn't the Tamir Rice shooting still being investigated even though it's been like a year now? Not seeing a good reason for that except to make it go away.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I hope you're all ready for the election-season appearance of a finalized Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) having to go through this dysfunctional Congress.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/05/b...v=top-news&_r=0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm still surprised we're going through this same old song and dance with the debt ceiling again. Won't not raising it cause a loving global economic meltdown on a scale far greater than the 2008 crash? How is this not a loving scandal of the highest order? This is economic terrorism. :psyduck:
It's just the current state of the modern GOP: they have no policy answers that more than a handful of elites will benefit from, so they use this constant game of chicken with Obama to placate their crazy base.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Thanks for the information, yeah I never really understood the idea behind it but that Yahoo article makes sense.
It's especially bad now because you have China's economy finally being shown as a house of cards, and the Euro is not a viable alternative to the dollar either. So if our system suddenly defaults, it would absolutely cause a global financial crisis almost immediately.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hollismason posted:

So we'd basically be in a recession correct? Like everything would go down the tubes?
Probably worse than that, but yeah, at least instant recession on a global scale, since the dollar is the benchmark a lot of countries use for their economic systems. Plus US Treasury bonds are the safest financial instrument in the world right now, and if we default that all gets thrown into disarray.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

A debt default would also be a substantial coup for American strategic rivals such as Russia and China who have been seeking to establish an "alternative" financial order for a while, making it all the more baffling that people who consider themselves patriots are advocating a default.
Because they will do literally anything to ruin Obama. Anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Do it Jeb, you know you want to

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Radbot posted:

Congratulations on locating the problem. Maybe we could read it now? Does that bullshit "well nobody ever gets to read these things" time period ever expire?
The text will not be public for 5 or 6 years

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If you're a remotely decent businessperson, why are you doing a job like that without getting paid?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I see Jindal apparently has lots of free time to write his scorching hot takes about bad parenting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zwabu posted:

I suspect Carson has the fundamentalist Christian support in his corner at the moment. I'm sure a lot of those voters don't like Trump since he doesn't even really pay the super thin lip service to their issues that most GOP candidates do, and I guess Huck and Santorum are yesterday's news.

If you were to say "quick, who's the biggest religious zealot in the GOP primary", Carson is the name that pretty much comes to mind right away.
He does, and that's exactly why Santorum, who finished 2nd in 2012, is DOA. All of the evangelical votes are going to Carson now.

Also his books have been very popular in the evangelical community for a long time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's nice to see that a black man like Carson is regurgitating the old Neo-Nazi/white supremacist notion that gun control caused the Holocaust. We're really making strides with multiculturalism in this country people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Trump's feud with Rand will never get old

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

Was krokodil the flesh eating one or the mega benzo that lasted for a week?
The former

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good, keep this in the media as long as possible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You just know that those various groups of conservative lawyers will find some random person they can use as a challenge, which of course SCOTUS will take up, since they will take anything that furthers their agenda

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kalman posted:

You're being a crazy person right now. There's not even the thinnest veneer of legal logic - which even the ACA case had - to justify the idea that opting out of voter registration is unconstitutional.
King v. Burwell shouldn't have gone forward due to lack of standing. King wasn't even affected by the mandate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So it's Cruz's turn to get a completely hollow poll bump?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sucrose posted:

So is Biden gonna jump into the race or what? Also, why isn't everyone and their mother pushing Biden to enter the race?
The NYT desperately wants him to run. They've run about one front page article per day the last 3-4 weeks about how 'Clinton's people are scared of a potential Biden run' and 'Biden's advisors putting out feelers for a run' and very vague things like that with sources that are all off-the-record.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nachos posted:

I don't know why the media is so loving obsessed with Joe Biden running when they've spent the last 8 years calling him the gaffiest gaffe to ever gaffe
There's not a whole lot to talk about in the Democratic primary beyond Clinton and 'Emailghazi', because both Sanders and Clinton are avoiding any kind of attacks at each other for the most part. Biden running would shake things up (although it would mostly just split Hillary's vote and is not happening).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

To be fair the NYT just wants Literally Anyone But Hillary to run. I genuinely wouldn't be shocked if during the election proper they straight up endorsed the republican.
They would absolutely endorse someone like John Kasich if he ran, but if it's someone like Jeb!, Trump, or Carson, they won't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

Ryan would be idiotic to take the Speaker role. This is a revolutionary House and he would not last long.
Which is why he won't take it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Radish posted:

Yeah fair enough. Having the US spying agency end up being literal Nazis was a twist I didn't see coming though.
Well that was taken directly from the comic it's based on. Even The Venture Brothers made reference to that whole thing years ago.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

At least here in Orlando, rents are getting ridiculous. It makes way more sense here to buy now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Texas is already on the ropes over their abortion hospital admitting privileges law, this isn't going to help them.
I wish I could feel good that SCOTUS will find that unconstitutional, but this court is not a good one for abortion rights

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really wish the Dems hadn't agreed to put anyone on this stupid Benghazi committee. It just legitimatizes their crazy. That and Hillary should have just ignored requests to testify, since of course Gowdy has turned this into a stupid TV show trial.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Is Lanny Davis still busy representing cannibalistic third-world warlords at the moment?
I don't know, does working for Dan Snyder count?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Its a failure for the Republicans. They've had nothing new to present, Hillary's kept her cool, repeated Republicans have been relegated to yelling at Hillary as she calmly refutes them, and they spent a long time whining about Sydney Blumenthal which led to everyone on TV (and in the hearing) ask what he has to do with Benghazi (and for yucks had the Republicans vote against releasing his testimony to the public). Even Fox News is calling it a "strong performance" from Hillary that gives her the PR edge on the issue.

But they also think she's an evil lying bitch and the FBI will nail her.
Gowdy has also refused to answer as to why he's obsessing over Clinton's emails that have nothing to do with Benghazi when there is an entire other investigation already underway involving those.

And yeah, it was painfully obvious that they had nothing new going into this hearing, but decided to take their shot anyway since Kevin McCarthy already reduced whatever legitimacy this panel had to zero with his comments.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How is this still going on

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Let me help you, the FBI isn't looking into any criminal wrong-doing on her part.
Correct, the NYT already had to retract a story about that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tony Blair: "Yes, the Iraq War caused the rise of ISIS, but I don't care because it was worth it to take out Saddam"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/26/w...WT.nav=top-news

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I loved hearing Ben Carson try to sell people on voucherizing Medicare/Medicaid while refusing to admit it. It's the dumbest thing Republicans keep trying to do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

The piece's thesis is loving stupid but boy did I enjoy reading this part:

[/quote]
Yes let me drink those sweet Bush tears

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have to think more will drop out by the next debate. I thought Jindal had essentially quit anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

radical meme posted:

This is really a very big deal; the systematic destruction of our judicial system right here. But, it's such a wonky issue that it's almost impossible to get people worked up over it. Corporations, especially insurance companies, have been hacking away at our open court system for decades. People don't concern themselves with it until it directly affects them or a close family member and then it's too late. Add in a compliant congress, at both state and federal level, and you get more and more legislation that destroys the right to civil trials. Our form of democracy, representative government, can not survive without a vibrant and active judiciary. Even libertarian poo poo-head theory depends on an active judiciary.

(I bolded my own sentence because that was really the most important point.)
It's also not helping that SCOTUS rulings over the last 10-15 years have made it harder and harder to get a group certified for class-action status. Like when all female Wal-Mart employees tried to sue on the basis of gender discrimination in wages.

• Locked thread