Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Ugh. I'm glad to hear that guy say a lawsuit is certain, this is outrageous and clearly the final intent of a lot of the voter ID laws.

Unbelievably bold and stupid.

quote:

So roll out the welcome wagon to the Justice Department, and tell the world what it already so desperately wants to hear.

That Alabama is exactly what they always thought she was.

That Alabama refuses to pay for its own government, and used it as an excuse to keep black people from the polls. That Alabama hasn't changed a bit.

I'd say they have us all wrong. I'd love to say they have us all wrong.

But the numbers say they don't.

Another good editorial on the same law here: http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/09/alabama_sends_message_we_are_t.html#incart_river_home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
ndiana GOP’s House Leader resigns after texting sexually explicit video of himself cheating on wife to everyone on his “Contacts” list

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/30/ind...dium=socialflow

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

Estimates are that between 1400 and 5100 people died from the added air pollution from this and we can't do anything?

VW killing people by pumping out toxic gases. What would their founder think of this behavior?

There's always criminal fraud. Only thing that's really required is prosecutorial will; a good prosecutor can find something to charge them with if he or she wants to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Coatlicue posted:

How does this keep happening? Why on earth, as a sitting house member, would you record such a video? Like I'm not even mad at the hypocrisy of regulating other people's marriages while cheating, I just want to know how all our elected leaders are so idiotic that they keep having leaks of that sort of material.

Everybody loves hot old-rich-whitedude-on-staffer action I guess

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So do we even know who the shooter is yet? is it the eggman looking dude? is it the neckbeard? is it some muslim guy like my one friend thinks it is?

This is honestly just as well. These mass shootings are usually a kind of suicide attempt, and it is well documented that reporting on suicide attempts encourages more suicide attempts.

See, e.g., http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/suicide-prevention/recommendations-for-reporting-on-suicide.shtml

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

computer parts posted:

What President would you point to as an example of getting really mad (specifically in public speeches)?

Depending on the speech, maybe either Roosevelt. But neither was really what passes for anger in modern cable news.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Riptor posted:

why are they beholden to agree with the "gunman is voldemort" crowd? It's the media's job to report on the facts of the story, including the identity of the killer

From what I've read at least, there is good reason to believe that reporting on suicide events increases their frequency. The media really should be more responsible on this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

VikingofRock posted:

Speaking of the Supreme Court, what ever happened to that 3rd Amendment case from a year or two back, where the guy was claiming that police snipers setting up in his house was a violation of his 3rd Amendment rights?

Supreme court ruled against him because police arent' soldiers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Holy poo poo this would be incredible because he would officially give up his campaign.

"South Carolina is in the middle of a catastrophic, thousand-year-mark flooding disaster. Who better to lift up my sagging poll numbers there than the hero of Katrina?"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Why can't we just say "Redo" and then start again with all finances. I mean if everyone's hosed why not? Clear all debt off the books and start again.

Well, that is the actual purpose of bankruptcy laws. How many lobbyists do you have?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lmao

How is Jeb so loving bad at this?

Privilege bubble. He honestly thinks he's running a good campaign.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh, you meant for Pelosi. There's literally no way 30 Republicans are going to be be willing to give up their careers.

Theoretically they could change parties.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The sex scandal theory is mainly being advanced by Tea Party sites who have a vested interest in fantasizing about how corrupt the RINOs are. The theory doesn't exactly hold up, as no one in the Freedom Caucus seems like they would have the tact to keep their mouths shut if they knew of such a thing.

Out of the possible actual reasons for him withdrawing, it's almost certainly because he didn't have 218 votes, no matter what he tells the press he would have won with. If he could have gotten 219-220 he would still be in the race. If the choice is winning by a slim margin or badly embarrassing the GOP and sending the House into disarray, you do the first thing. He couldn't do the first thing.

The Benghazi gaffe was bad, but it wouldn't conceivably have affected his standing with the Freedom Caucus, who would more likely than not proudly admit the same, nor with the old guard, who had clearly decided he was The Guy by Thursday morning, hence the shock.

Do the math. The Freedom Caucus has about 40 seats of the 247 Republican seats. The Speaker needs 218. McCarthy didn't have the 40 votes.

The funny thing is, this means that in a practical sense, the Republican Party has effectively split in two: the Tea Party is a separate party with separate goals, and it is unwilling to form a coalition with the Republicans. This is what a parliamentary crisis looks like in a first-past-the-post system.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DolphinCop posted:

being a democratic house of representatives member has got to be like, super relaxing

True story, being a democratic state congressman in a state with a Republican supermajority was John Grisham's day job while he wrote his first novel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

First Bad Bernie position I've seen. The AWB was a bad law and doesn't need to be brough back. There are other better ways to improve gun control, including better funding for the instant background check system.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

a shameful boehner posted:

I was at the event he announced this at, and he definitely spoke to mental health access, closing the gun show loophole and strengthening background checks before mentioning that he wanted to ban semiautomatic assault weapons "whose only purpose is to kill groups of people".

I think he took a balanced approach to it, at least in the way he discussed it with the crowd.

Yeah that all sounds reasonable but one man's "semiautomatic assault rifle," is another man's hunting rifle, and the guy who calls it a hunting rifle is way more likely to vote based on that issue. The AWB was a really bad law, poorly written with bad definition s, and bringing it back is not an auspicious proposal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Paul MaudDib posted:

The AWB in particular is unpalatable because it largely consisted of a ban on a set of cosmetic features rather than things that affected the functioning of the gun. If you put the same gun in a redneck hunting stock, it shouldn't suddenly be OK.

There aren't any areas of gun control policy that aren't highly divisive. If you're going to take the political hit for engaging on that topic you should go for something useful, like requiring private sales to go through an FFL/background checks. The actual solutions (both gun-related, as well as mental health and income inequality) are unfortunately such political footballs that they can't really be addressed.

Or, for that matter, requiring prompt and complete compliance with the background check system by local police forces and making sure appropriate funding is granted for them to do so. The background check should have stopped Dylann Root's handgun purchase, but it didn't.

But yes, basically you're saying what I was trying to get at. The AWB is a bad law full of gibberish terminology and a lot of gun owners justifiably view advocacy for it as a sign that said advocate is demagoguing the issue and not presenting a serious policy position. Bernie is better than that; everywhere else he has real positions, not bullshit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

greatn posted:

I think with gun control laws people just need to get a handle on the fact that an inconvenience isn't a curtailing of your rights.

Mandatory background check in any gun transaction, is inconvenient but not infringing on your rights to buy, keep, and bear arms.

Eliminating the loophole that says if that check takes too long you can go ahead and buy the gun, is inconvenient, but not a curtailing of your rights unless the federal background service is willfully delaying or not performing checks.

A two week waiting period is inconvenient but not an abridgement of your rights.

Requiring a license would not be an abridgement, unless it could be proved the licensing office was purposefully using its powers to prevent people from getting licenses and therefore guns.

It shouldn't be harder to get a voter id than to get a gun.

Really modest reforms to make sure people buying guns are not violent felons or have domestic abuse records or have a diagnosed but currently untreated serious mental illness seem really rather reasonable. It won't stop shootings but at least it would lower the amount where you look at it and say "why the gently caress was this person able to buy a gun?"

A lot if this sounds good but would be vulnerable to political exploitation. For example, the reason that you can buy a gun if there is no response from the instant check system after three days, is that gun advocates were concerned that the instant background check system would be underfunded or nonfunded, resulting in an effective ban.

And they weren't wrong. The IBC system *is* underfunded, which is part of why Dylann Roof was able to buy a gun despite his pending charges.

There are some productive changes that could be made to the gun laws but they involve spending more money (requiring better reporting compliance by local police forces, etc), go counter to entrenched interests, or require more nuance than anyone in the debate is prepared to bring to the table.

Basically the issue is too thoroughly politicized to be productively addressed, much like every other issue in American politics.

Edit: to be clear I support the IBC system and agree it needs reform, but the "holes" in it -- the three day time window, the private sale loophole - exist for actual reasons, they aren't just there to give Wayne LaPierre a stiffy. They weren't solved in 1994/because nobody had a good solution for them then, and it appears our politicians still don't.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 12, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'm not sure what forcing republicans into an ideological corner is going to do, but I guess we're going to find out.

Eh it's not like "we" have much to do with it. This is the inevitable consequence of the modern Republican party (and right wing media, gerrymandering, etc.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pangstrom posted:

Somebody with not-much to lose is going to step in, I suppose. It's less that nobody is acceptable and more that candidates fear one of the job responsibilities is to appease the Sun God and the only way he can be appeased is with blood of people with jobs like yours.

I suspect nobody can do the job. If you're moderate enough for mainstream support you're disqualified from fringe support and vice versa. The Republicans have split into two parties and are refusing to admit it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

House doesn't matter. Senate, though, that will be interesting. Republicans will certainly seek to knock out any SCOTUS nominee they can, but I don't actually think a moderate would have any greater chance of making it through than a liberal. No matter who they are, they'll be demonized as super liberal on the right and it'll be a question of what you can make stick with the public at large (or, if it even matters what the public at large thinks). There's a decent chance nobody at all could get confirmed.

I honestly think this is the most likely result (presuming democratic president / republican senate) and any vacancies on the Court will simply result in a smaller Court.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jackson Taus posted:

Any slim chance of that died when they alienated the Smug Centrist/Moderate crowd.

Has this actually happened? Has the realization that the Republicans really are that loving crazy finally broken through to the "truth is in the middle" professional pundit class?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PDP-1 posted:

Did you happen to catch this David Brooks column in the NYT last week? He's as professional pundit-y as they come and he seemed to be having a moment of clarity:

Yeah, but that's happened before with other pundits, like David Frum a few years ago when he left Marketplace and so forth. The question is whether or not the rest of the media follows.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

QuoProQuid posted:

Hillary won the debate, not by a huge margin but she dismissed some of the issues that have dogged her and made a good case for her candidacy. While Bernie also did well, he really didn't provide the outstanding performance he needed to overcome Clinton dominance. I will, however, be interested in seeing if Bernie gains any minority supporters from his statements tonight.

Then there was the clownshow in the background.

It looks like "enough with the drat emails" is going to be the takeaway line in the media covering the debate, so that may give him a visibility boost.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

What is it supposed to measure? What kind of idiot googles Hillary Clinton?

well if Sander's goal for the debate was to gain visibility then people going "well who IS this crazy grandpa, he sounds interesting" is a good metric.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It wasn't even the "It was my first day!" that'll sink Chafee as though he had far to drop, right?); it was the way he followed up with "And besides, it was a 95-5 vote!" Like the peer pressure got to him. He defended his vote for the Patriot Act by saying "It was 99-1!" which was particularly stupid considering that the 1 was right there on the same stage as him.

I mean, we know Senators don't want to be on the unpopular side of a vote but they're usually bright enough not to use that as an excuse for why they voted the way they did.

The one Senator was Feingold. Sanders voted against it but he was a House member at the time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
blah doublepost forumsweird

I made the same mistake during the debate and had the same "but Bernie was the one" thought but then I checked wikipedia to make sure and realized I'd been wrong.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's interesting how debate reaction polls had Bernie as the clear winner, but the news headlines this morning all are "Clinton wins."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Debates never mean anything if there isn't a major gently caress up. Both sides are entrenched enough by now it was really just a showcasing of candidates. I'd be surprised if it really affects the actual polls, except maybe to give one of the also rans a small bump.

Oh, I think there's a good chance Bernie will get a significant bump just from increased visibility. O'Malley might pick up a few percentage points too for the same reason, though I'm not sure where he'd get the points *from*. Webb and Chaffee hosed up though -- "my first day" and "I killed a dude" -- but yeah they can't go negative so it won't matter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mlmp08 posted:

similarly, it's interesting how Ron Paul is currently our president based on dumbass online polls.

Reason 1 Bernie lost: He only did well in the second half of the debate. You know, after Chafee and Webb had bored the gently caress out of anyone who isn't a political junkie watching for amusement.

Wasn't just online polls -- the focus groups afterwards also had Bernie as clear winner.

Though yeah he did do badly on the foreign policy side. He had high highs and low lows.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

fits my needs posted:

I am excited to see what the Sanderistas will do when Bernie loses.

Join Jim Webb's death-or-glory killsquads

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Nice job stophillarypac

KILLED IN AMBASSADORIAL ACTION IN LYBIA

That screenshot makes him look like Voldemort

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zeroisanumber posted:

Snowden realizes that he's just a bargaining chip for Putin and will be sold out to the US whenever it's convenient for Russia. That being the case he wants to cut a deal, but I don't think that even a (very) hypothetical Sanders JD would bite.

I read Sander's Snowden comments as basically saying he'd grant him a commutation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zeroisanumber posted:

And Obama wants to close Gitmo and free all non-violent federal drug offenders. Political reality and what a president would like to do don't always match up.

The pardon power is wholly executive, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mlmp08 posted:

I have no problem with Vietnam draft dodgers. But it looks really bad when a draft dodger asks for the job of being the head of the military, which necessarily means they will be the head of an organization that routinely punishes service members who fail to do their duty or abandon their posts as well as ordering personnel into conflict, whether they agree with the conflict or not.

In reality it's entirely possible that Bernie, commander in chief, would result in less service member hardship and lives lost. Doesn't mean it isn't hypocritical.

I think that someone who objects to pointless wars and refuses to participate in them is exactly the sort of leader our troops need and deserve. "Dodging" an immoral draft doesn't matter; what matters is recognizing when risking the lives of our troops is moral and when it isn't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ChairMaster posted:

I've gotta say that as a Canadian watching your miserably long election cycle from the outside, I really can't understand why anyone would support Hillary over Bernie. Just looking at their voting records alone seems to be enough to prove that Hillary is a complete shill and has no real beliefs or stances on any issues of substance, and that she doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than being elected. I mean I guess that's fine in a normal election where your only other options are weirdos like Webb and Chafee, but this election has an actual real human being in it who gives a poo poo about the country and seems to be willing to try to make real changes to try to repair some of the extensive damage that's been done to it since Reagan was elected, and there are still people on Hillary's side? I don't understand.

Is it only because they genuinely think that a lunatic republican would be too likely to win against a candidate who actually uses the word socialist as a positive so they feel they have to support Hillary lest you end up stuck with an actual lunatic in office? I guess that makes sense, but it seems like choosing the safe path to keeping the really horrible status quo in effect rather than taking a pretty good chance at enacting some real change.

Electability is part of it, but as others have said Bernie is just as electable and just as likely to get anything done in the face of Republican opposition.

I personally support Bernie but think the real argument for Hillary is superior presentation; she's a more professional candidate. But that cuts both ways, and is something she still has to demonstrate.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

There is a work requirement for disability and Medicare.

Small potatoes. We clearly need a work requirement for Medicaid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

What ? No! That's monstrous.

Think of it as an especially efficient way to trim the rolls.

Especially since Medicaid is the only way to pay for long term care!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Medicaid is loving weird and shouldn't exist. It should just be Medicare.

Medicaid in fact I think last time I was reading on it was pretty inefficient.

Medicaid is very efficient, especially for kids. Also there are a number of very necessary things that Medicare won't cover but Medicaid will -- long term health care, certain types of power wheelchairs, ABA therapy for kids with autism, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lessail posted:

Hillary supporters think Hillary won

Bernie supporters think Bernie won

big surprise

but i must make it an attack!!

They each "won" in that they each achieved their goals. Hillary wanted to keep her lead, not gently caress up, and put scandals to bed, and she did all of those things. So she's still "winning" in that sense. Bernie wanted to increase his visibility and get his name out and get people FIRED UP and he did that in a big way. So he "won" also.

• Locked thread