Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mozi posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/u...WT.nav=top-news

Bunch of anonymous sources trying to craft a narrative. Same dumb poo poo that the Times has been pulling for a while now. I don't really understand their angle.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/joe-biden-abortion-1974_560c5ee3e4b076812700b4d6

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

zoux posted:

It's really only a problem when TFR posters, who care about nothing except gun rights, come in here to explain to us that the availability and prevalence of guns is somehow completely divorced from gun violence in America.

It's really all about ethics is gun's journalism, hth.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

The speeds at which TFR/GiP posters manage to show up at the mere instance of guns or gun control chat is pretty impressive, imo.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

As someone who grew up in the South where literally everyone hunts I genuinely do not understand the absolute supernatural level of devotion and paranoia people have about ARE GUNS.

It really borders on an almost religious fervor.

Radbot posted:

One of the advantages of UHC is that it could pay for penis implants for all the tiny-penised gun lovers in America.

It's hard to blame them, really. Gotta cling to something when being white and male isn't what it used to be.

basically this.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, the other option is that a bunch of people who have a really bare understanding of how guns work and how they're used (assuming they aren't completely clueless) keep trying to make decisions about them.

I'll say what I said the last time: firearms is the only subject I've seen where the people who actually have a deep understanding of the subject matter are called crazy thugs if they try to participate.

Yes, a deep mechanical and tactical knowledge of guns are required before making any sort of judgement on their effects to American society.

Lmao if you don't know how to reload an AR15 by muscle memory, just lmao.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

I'm sure the "ban all guns, kill all gun owners" rhetoric that pops up here after every shooting has absolutely nothing to do with that.

The irony here is that gun owners are actually killing a lot of people yearly :spooky:

Weekly, even!!

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Zelder posted:

I want to ban...

every gun

If you don't know the weight (loaded and unloaded), tactical, and mechanical uses of every single type of gun you would like to ban you can just :frogout:

I've spent the past decade going to the shooting range, attending gun shows, and buying guns. I'm a bit of an expert. *speeds off in his lifted truck*

welp cya.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Well the overwhelming majority of gun crime is done with handguns, almost none is done with "assault weapons," so if I were a gun control supporter I would start there. You'd also have to find a way to bring down the vast number of handguns out there already or else you wouldn't do much good.

I think we should ban rifles and 'assault weapons,' but not handguns, just to collectively watch TFR melt down to purestrain gold.

Let's start there.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

zoux posted:

If you want to ahem, protect the *extremely strong ahem* rights of gun owners to hunt and protect themselves at home from threats that will materialize, there's no reason not to ban anything with a mag and only permit bolt-action rifles with 3 round capacity, shotguns and revolvers.

I think you mean a clip?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if we ban handguns though the suicide rate will decrease and i find this to be an inexcusable restriction on the 2A rights of americans

Agreed. This is a pretty fundamental right for gun owners IMHO

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

guns shouldn't be banned, but anyone who shows interest in owning them should be banned from doing so

Welp, we've got our first :godwin: ITT.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

because the evil gubmint taking your manchild toys away is literally equivalent to the holocaust. got it

:thejoke:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Yo. Three people who enjoy shotgun sports, and a Wal-Mart way the hell upstate. Hundred rounds a go, two or three gos on a weekend, we tend to have well over 5000 rounds hanging about just because we don't enjoy driving to North Fuckistan.

Remember, ammo lasts FOREVER. We are still shooting ammo made for WWII. It's good and it's accurate. It's pretty much the perfect thing to buy in bulk, load into the car, and store in a dry place till you need it.

And that's with three people who have guns that share the same ammo. When you factor in multiple types of guns, or even just different loads for different sports, you can, reasonably, have tens of thousands of rounds around.

For people who don't understand why you'd have different loads - think of it as golf. They have different flight characteristics and do different things.

hmm ya 5000 rounds of ammunition is definitely something i wanna store in my home until i 'need it'

ammunition is like golf except it murders a school full of children 2-3 times a month :woop:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that people who hoard guns and knives and ammunition are mentally ill.

Unfortunately, the ~45 mass shootings so far this year tend to give a bit of credence to my theory.

"No, see, these 8000 rounds of armor piercing bullets were a good investment. I'm just storing them down here until I need them."

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

I'm saying 'that's about a month's worth of ammo for a small family.'

lmbo

the USA is doomed, we are doomed.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Trap shooting. Hundred rounds a go. Two rounds each. (200) Two days in a weekend (400). Three family members (1200). Four weeks in a month. (4800).

I hope I've been informative, because I really wouldn't mind dropping the topic.

Nothing like taking your wife and children out to a range on saturday and sunday of every weekend of every month to shoot off a few hundred rounds :911:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

It's better than keeping them home and murdering them. Easier to hide the bodies and spent shells.

With that many Gun's at home, they're statistically more likely to murder themselves!

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Yeah this seems much more indicative of incompetence than some grand conspiracy for the US to incite a PR disaster by bombing Doctors Without Borders. I genuinely don't understand the US military's supposed motive when some people claim this was a deliberate act.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Literally nobody believes the US bombed a hospital to be evil dicks and this is the dumbest loving strawman. People are saying it was an accident and huge gently caress up and critical that they're trying to push varying stories between it being not a gently caress up at all and completely justified and trying to lay all the blame on Afghan forces.

the literal front page of the huffington post was "Doctors Without Borders: We Were Deliberately Bombed" you moron. people ITT are saying the US deliberately did it.

please read before posting, tia.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Slickdrac posted:

-Afghani's call it in
-US chain takes request, night crew is usually less sharp and lazy
-Protocol and checks aren't followed
-Order given to go ahead anyway
-Go back to sleep while MSF shouts to stop

This isn't hard.

yeah again, this sounds like pure incompetence, not malice or some IDF-esque situation. :shrug:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

There is a big difference between believing they deliberately bombed it because they hosed up and believing they deliberately bombed it to purposely murder doctors and patients for ??? reasons which is what is being strawmanned and conflated a whole hell of a lot in this thread.

Please work on your anger issues and general disingenuous twattiness.

that was my original point, so once again, please read before posting. :q:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

In related news...

Nuclear Smugglers Shopped Radioactive Materials To ISIS And Other Terrorists posted:

CHISINAU, Moldova (AP) — In the backwaters of Eastern Europe, authorities working with the FBI have interrupted four attempts in the past five years by gangs with suspected Russian connections that sought to sell radioactive material to Middle Eastern extremists, The Associated Press has learned. The latest known case came in February this year, when a smuggler offered a huge cache of deadly cesium — enough to contaminate several city blocks — and specifically sought a buyer from the Islamic State group.

Criminal organizations, some with ties to the Russian KGB's successor agency, are driving a thriving black market in nuclear materials in the tiny and impoverished country of Moldova, investigators say. The successful busts, however, were undercut by striking shortcomings: Kingpins got away, and those arrested evaded long prison sentences, sometimes quickly returning to nuclear smuggling, AP found.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

lmao this is unbelievable

could nearly pass as an Onion article

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Winning Vice Presidential debates against two of the dumbest VP candidates in Republican history is no sort of evidence he can win against anybody but Webb in the current primary.

agreed. in many ways Paul Ryan did worse than Palin did during the debates, which is definitely rather hilarious considering they all pretend he's some sort of ~intellectual heavyweight~

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

"Guns are still loud even with a silencer on!" is basically the same as "It's a magazine, not a clip"

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

You're so wrong it's not even funny. Stop posting.

*reposts this in TFR*

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

various cheeses posted:

"We just want reasonable gun control, like banning everything that looks scary, preventing people from carrying them ever, and making everything cost thousands of dollars."

Same

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Open carry is quite possibly the most pathetic thing ever. The only times I ever see people open carry anyway are at some lovely mall or big box store.

It's always some pasty, skinny white kid wearing sneans too.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

CommanderApaul posted:

Doesn't necessarily have to do with my hearing protection. I am legally allowed to shoot in my backyard. I don't, out of courtesy to my neighbors, because it's loud as hell for them. State law specifically exempts target shooting from noise ordinances, so again, I can if I want to, but I don't want to without a suppressor because I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat.

And suppressors are classified as firearms by the USC, that's why you have to pay the NFA tax and wait 4-12 months for the ATF to background check you. Would you be okay with having to pay a $200 tax and wait up to a year for a background check to allow people to vote?

:lol:

Considering you have neighbors, maybe you should hold off on firing guns in your backyard for other reasons than 'it's loud.'

also of course target shooting is exempt from noise ordinances. gun owners are children.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Look, in exchange for making it slightly more difficult for those with mental illnesses or criminal records to commit mass murder on a literal weekly basis, I want my model train collection to be asdgjlasdk;gjda

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

CommanderApaul posted:

There's a constitutional amendment that protects gun ownership, there isn't one that protects voting rights, so yes, it's an applies and oranges comparison. Voting rights aren't a civil right per the constitution, gun ownership is.

are you sure about that?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

CommanderApaul posted:

There's a constitutional amendment that protects gun ownership, there isn't one that protects voting rights, so yes, it's an applies and oranges comparison. Voting rights aren't a civil right per the constitution, gun ownership is.

:allears:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

various cheeses posted:

Because they're neat. Why do you own anything other than the bare minimum needed to survive?

Incidentally, your toys are responsible for over 12,000 people 'not surviving' 2014.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Suppressors and short-barreled rifles?

No, those are accessories for your toys. Much like differing models and scenery are for a model train collection.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SedanChair posted:

A short-barreled rifle is not an accessory, it is a firearm. But keep being imprecise, it's working really well as a strategy for proponents of gun control.

So it's basically like a clip, then?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SedanChair posted:

"Hey guys I'm telling jokes about my own political irrelevance"

alternatively,

"Hey guys I'm being pedantic and disingenuous about my "I'm a Big Scary Man" hobby"

IT'S A MAGAZINE..NOT A CLIP!!!

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

various cheeses posted:

I like how simple disagreement with the statement "we should ban all guns and murder gun owners" leads to responses like this.

but that is actually the correct course of action to take??

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

we shouldn't ban guns, because gun owners murder themselves quite efficiently and i see no reason to restrict their second amendment rights

Hmm...this really does make you think

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SedanChair posted:

You should probably stop writing those laws, which as you admit are stupid and nothing but attempts to incrementally restrict all guns.

That would be a start. Just restrain yourself from doing that for a few decades. Then once all the current Democrats have retired you can try again, and maybe somebody will believe you that you just want background checks or something.

lmao yes, the solution to weekly mass murders of children in the USA is to wait 'a few decades' and for every Democrat to retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Amergin posted:

Well if the idea is that we have a demand in this country for guns and we limit the supply within this country's borders, why do you think illegal gun trafficking wouldn't shift to mostly international?

And again, the liberal response is "regulate it!" (because federal regulations get followed so well - see marijuana). So... regulate Mexico?

You can literally grow weed in your basement. You cannot grow a gun in your basement. Keep trying, Amergin!

• Locked thread