Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Which game has gotten more remakes: this one or Lunar: Silver Star Story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which game has gotten more remakes: this one or Lunar: Silver Star Story?

Some quick googling - it looks like Lunar:SSS got 4 remakes, while Corpse Party got 5...and I fully expect that there's some fan who owns each and every one of those games.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Some quick googling - it looks like Lunar:SSS got 4 remakes, while Corpse Party got 5...and I fully expect that there's some fan who owns each and every one of those games.

To be fair, only 4 of Corpse Party's remakes/re-releases were official. Rebuilt is entirely a fan thing (though they did get Kedouin's permission to do it)

I'm also not entirely sure the mobile game finished. There's not a lot of info about it out there. It might only be the first one or two chapters, rather than the full set. Though typing "mobile game" reminded me that there's an iOS version of Blood Covered: ...Repeated Fear that I totally forgot about when I made that post.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, there are scary games, and then there's this, which manages to just make you want to take a shower. It's really good stuff.

This is something that's been bothering me for a while now. There are few games that has made me as deeply uncomfortable as Corpse Party has but it's never the horror aspects that do it. Instead it's the stuff that's supposed to be cute or heartwarming. I'm not going to get into specifics because spoilers.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

watho posted:

This is something that's been bothering me for a while now. There are few games that has made me as deeply uncomfortable as Corpse Party has but it's never the horror aspects that do it. Instead it's the stuff that's supposed to be cute or heartwarming. I'm not going to get into specifics because spoilers.

Do you mean the scenes from the PSP game? Because I'm pretty sure the worst one can be discussed, considering that the characters involved aren't in this game.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah, but they're spoilers for the PSP game and that's a no-no!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh, there's a few of them in this game too. Although I would say as a whole this version isn't *nearly* as squicky as the PSP game. It's almost light hearted in comparison.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel like a better comparsion in terms of remakes is Ao Oni.

And honestly, the biggest bits that makes me uncomfortable about Corpse Party is almost every scene with Yuka in the PSP version and just how much the game's description emphasis how gross and filthy everything is.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh christ this retarded series just never ends does it?

Welp, buckled in and ready to fly. Lead on DarkHamsterlord. Lets see what this series' fans can do.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Hey...hey, isn't this?
Our class?

Suddenly, the screen flashes blue and we're forced out of the classroom.

Music: Main Theme

Attempting to re-enter just gets us another blue screen and pushes us away. Classroom 2-9 is sealed off to us now.

So we continue exploring the second floor.

Hey look who it is!

Let's ignore them and look at these cabinets.

-- Letter #01 --

"By the basement, there is an incinerator."
"There is? So what should we do?"

-- Letter #02 --

"On the wall, next to the poster, there is a secret button."
"...Next to the poster? What..."

There are ten of these letters in the game, and they all represent different pieces of a conversation between two people. Finding them all is not required to beat the game in the sense that if you're following a guide or know all the answers you aren't literally required to read them, but if you're playing without a guide for your first time, they are more or less necessary.

And now that we've done that, let's see if we can get those nerds' attention.

Satoshi!
Mochida, are you unharmed?! Thank God you're all okay!
We're fit as can be!
I'm a bit scared, but...
...Did ya guys find an exit?
No. What about you?
...We didn't find anything either.
Come on! Let's get back to the search!

Hm?
...Don't get too close...to Mochida.
Huh? What are you trying to say?!

Smartly, Satoshi interrupts this awkward conversation with poo poo that actually matters.

For me?
They're shoes. When you wear them, the green ooze no longer harms you.
Whatcha mean?
The ooze drains humans of their life. But these shoes prevent that.
Sweet. Thanks, Satoshi.

And now our entire group is immune to green ooze, making it a complete non-issue. We haven't actually encountered green ooze as Yoshiki and Ayumi yet, but we could have. I just didn't see a reason to walk down to a dead end and then come back up here to get the shoes and go back.

But for now, we're going to switch control to Satoshi's group and head back downstairs.

And we head all the way south...

...And up the stairs here...

Then we continue south here, and round the corner.

And now we can cross this ooze. We could have awhile ago, but then we'd just have to backtrack to give the shoes to Yoshiki's group, so it's easier to save this for now instead of heading this way immediately.

This is actually the first pool of ooze we've encountered so far that's too big to cross without the shoes. The other ooze you can walk though as long as you have the HP for it.

The hallway with the ooze ends with this corner here, and we round it and continue south.

And we arrive in this little fork. We can continue east, or check the rooms to the west. But first...

In the bloody halls of music and dance, lies a family who lost their chance. The mother longs for her ensanguined child, the father his bones dripping with bile.

My spellcheck doesn't even recognize "ensanguined" as a word. (to stain or cover with blood)

After checking the poster, we head west to check out the doors.

As we head into the door on the right, it changes our sprite to Naomi's.

Music: Horror

Because this is the girl's lavatory! Of course Satoshi can't come in here, even though it's a horrible ghost school and no one cares which bathroom you go in.

There's not really much in here. The mirror on the right is just a mirror, this mirror is shattered, and all the stalls are locked (despite clearly having no one inside)

But the mirror on the left...

Your reflection isn't showing in the mirror...

I have a bad feeling about this.

That's the only thing of interest in the girl's lavatory, so we exit and regroup with Satoshi.

Another familiar bucket from the remake.

The boy's lavatory is empty. It doesn't even have any interesting flavor text.

The area to the east is just a tiny dead end. No flavor text or anything. In the interest of time (my time, because I forgot to take a screenshot of it), we just ignore it and head back to the north.

As we walk through this narrow walkway, Yuka stops us.

Hm? What's up, Yuka?

:siren:PISS QUEST: 1996 EDITION:siren:

Want me to go with her?

Leave Yuka to Naomi
I'll go with Yuka

No, I'm worried about her. I'll go.
Really? I don't mind, you know.
Thank you, big brother.
Jeez, how old are you again?
But I'm scared!

Our group automatically proceeds south to the lavatories.

Music: None

And Satoshi and Yuka automatically enter the girls' room, without it even being shown on-screen.

...Okay. Wait here.

Yuka makes her way over to the stalls.

Just hurry it up, Yuka!

Yuka tries a couple of stalls, but they're locked.

Eventually she manages to find an unlocked stall, and heads inside.

If you check this stall prior to this scene, it is locked.

Why you...

And then our perspective shifts to Naomi, out in the hallway.

In the bloody halls of music and dance, lies a family who lost their chance. The mother longs for her ensanguined child, the father his bones dripping with bile.

Bloody halls...? I wonder where that could be?

Naomi steps away from the poster, and the lights go out.

...?

And one by one, spirits appear around her...!

...Yuuuka? Are you done yet?

...Silence...

...?

We're put into control of Satoshi, and head over to the stall Yuka entered.

...You in there? Answer me!

...No response...

...Geez. You perv.
Jeez, if you were there, say something. Made me think something happened, you know?
But...

And with that stupid nonsense taken care of, Satoshi leaves his sister alone to finish up.

*gush gush gush*

Music: Emergency

BIG BROTHER! BIIIG BROTHER! HEEEEELP!!
Yuka?! What's wrong!?
The...water...! Water's flowing out of the toilet...as blood!
It won't stop! It keeps flowing and flowing!

...! I can't open the door! Big brother! BIG BROTHER!!
Hold on!

Satoshi starts to approach Yuka's stall, and...

!?

*gush gush gush gush gush!*

Big brooother! It won't stop! I-I'M GONNA DROWN!!
HEEEELP!

And we're put into control of Satoshi. As much as Naomi is more likeable than Yuka, it's probably best to deal with the immediate danger instead of running off to look for Naomi.

If we take a step to the left, a hole opens up in front of us. This doesn't really serve any purpose other than to increase the sense of panic.

It works pretty well, honestly! We walk around the hole and check the door

YUUUKA! ...This drat door!

Yuka, I'm gonna force this door open!

Sound Effect: Bash

Take this!

You goddamned!!

DOOR!!!

Wh...whaa?
Guh!

Satoshi is forcefully propelled away from the door.

...Aww, why are you kicking it? What'd the door ever do to you?...

Wha...what the hell is going on!?
...Hyahahahaha......She's dead meat, that girl. And it will be MOST painful...
YUKA!

poo poo! Open it! OPEN THE DOOR, drat YOU!
...I don't think I will. But, if you'd like, I won't stop you from leaving...

Once again, a force pushes Satoshi away from the door.

...Hehehe... How deliciously pointless... No matter how many times you kick, scream, and cry... that door only opens for me...

*GUSH GUSH GUSH*

Please... please... open the door, I beg of you!
...KYAHAHAHAHAHAHA!......No...
PLEASE! I'll do anything!

...What?
...If you die instead of her, I'll let her go free......Will you die?...

Yes
No

So, please, keep your end of the bargain... Save her!
...Pathetic. How boring...What transparent, whitewashed tripe...

...Everyone is looking out for number one. You want me to believe you're really such a saint?...Pretend she wasn't here...Would you still die for her?...

Yes
No

You twisted bitch! That's my sister!

Music: Crisis

...!
GET OUT OF MY WAY!

Satoshi just leapt onto the stall door and punched a ghost in the face. In this one scene, he was just six times cooler than he ever was in the PSP games.

Uuugh... *cough cough*
Take it easy!

Satoshi pulls Yuka out of the stall and lets her down on the floor.

I'm going to assume the girl in red was holding Yuka down with some sort of force, since logically she would have just floated to the top and could have climbed out of the stall herself.

There's a flash, and the girl in red disappears.

Haa...ha...haa...
...Are you okay?

Yuka runs to the sinks

*cough cough cough*

Big brother...

BIG BROTHER! BIG BROTHER! BIG BROTHER!!
Hey now, I said everything would be fine from the start, didn't I?

Me too.

Satoshi takes a few steps towards the door.

Huh?
I heard Naomi scream earlier.

This entire bathroom scene is not in the remake, but it is referenced at one point in chapter 5. There is a scene where Satoshi takes Yuka to the bathroom, and while she's in there she freaks out because "blood is flowing out of the toilet," but it stops on its own and nothing else of interest happens.

Also worth mentioning is that if you say "No, I won't die in her place," Satoshi just immediately leaps up and punches the girl in red in the face. It doesn't matter what you say, I just went down the path that had the most dialog.

Tune in next time, when we find out why Naomi screamed!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That was kinda intense.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

No. No no no no... oh, it's over already?

If that's all it was, why was the PSP version's piss quest so long!?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
drat that was metal as hell. Score one for Mochida - punching a ghost in the face to save your sister and it working is pretty impressive considering this series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finished my reread of the Corpse Party and BOS LPs, and caught up on these updates - thank you so, so much for the LPs. Playing the original CP got intolerable thanks to the gameplay, and I couldn't get through BOS due to my PSP glitching out.

But enough about those games: more about this one. While it seems playing it would be annoying, what with the backtracking and that panicky chase sequence, the atmosphere, I feel, is even better than the remake. The school is a wreck, but it doesn't seem like there's anywhere near as much gore in every corner, so it's scarier when a skeleton shows up, and when the spirits act up. Even the chiptunes contribute to this jarring atmosphere, and on top of that the characters feel more likable. Satoshi is actually cool for once, which is a miracle!

Looking forward to more, DHL, thank you for this LP!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Ahahahaha, ok. That was pretty cool. It's already better than the originals. I mean sure, Satoshi is probably going to die horribly for that, but anything to stick it to that particular ghost for being a smug bitch.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Eat poo poo, dead child! :unsmigghh:
That's the most satisfying thing I've seen in a Corpse Party game. All these tiny, evil ghosts and nobody thinks to kick their asses except proto-Satoshi.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Last time, Yuka needed to use the bathroom, and was sealed into a stall that quickly filled with blood. While she was in there, we heard Naomi scream from outside, but chose to focus on the matter at hand and worry about her later.

Yuka's been saved, so now it's time to check on Naomi.

We last saw her over by that poster, when these spirits appeared around her. She's now nowhere to be seen.

This is all the spirit has to say, and the poster says the same thing it always has. We can't go north, and we can't actually go back into the lavatories, so we head east down the hall.

And we found her!

If I remembered to come down here sooner and get a screenshot, it would look just like this, except Naomi wouldn't be lying there. There's no flavor text or anything in this room, it's just a spot for this scene to take place.

Ah... Satoshi...?
What happened to you?
...Nothing. I was suddenly surrounded by spirits and...
Spirits!? Did...did they do something to you?!
No. They told me that they were just like us... Forced down here against their will.

...Something? Like what?
I don't know, but I suddenly heard a strange girl's voice.

A girl's voice...?
Was she wearing red?
Sorry, I can't remember. But what makes you say that?
...Because she attacked Yuka in the lavatory earlier.
Seriously!?

Uwaaah! I...I don't...
Don't worry. The blood's not hers.

This dialog branch doesn't matter, it just changes ensuing dialog.

Are you hurt anywhere, Naomi?
Not at all. I'm more worried about Yuka.
R-Really? How about you, Yuka?
...I'm fine! Let's just go!
H-Hm...? You seem angry.
Eheheheh.

What's with her?
Jeez, her face's all red.

Right. Let's get moving.

We're automatically brought back out of that dead end, and we're given a little hint that maybe now is a good time to change parties (ie, Satoshi's group has nothing left to do right now.)

We're gonna do a tiny little bit more as Satoshi, and then find a pentagram and swap.

First, we immediately 180 and head into the dead-end we just came from.

I suppose you're most likely to find this later on, when you're completely lost and trying to find where to go.

The remake heavily features a hallway that regularly changes size. It's a central part of nearly every chapter, and this hallway was the inspiration for it.

Amidst the fresh blood, I can see a crack in the wall...

This hallway is a dead end at the moment. I just wanted to show it. We turn around and head back down the hallway.

And we head back north at the bathrooms.

Something new is here!

Constantly changing environments and objects in them is a big thing with the Corpse Party series. A lot of the time in this game it just comes across as arbitrary and random (this item in particular, just appearing after a plot event), but as the series progresses I think they really improved on that aspect of the series to great effect, where changes are often more subtle and eerie, rather than just "well you did a thing so now in this unrelated room we've added the solution to another puzzle."

-- Take it? --

Yes

No

What's that?
A lever? It may come in handy. Let's keep it.

The Iron Lever is a good and important item.

Now that we've got it, we're going to switch back to Yoshiki and Ayumi for a bit. Satoshi's group can't do much else at the moment. We didn't have to get the lever right then, but it's so close by I figured I might as well.

And then...

Yoshiki and Ayumi are still on the second floor where we left them. It's been a little while since we've played as them. We head down the hall and head downstairs.

We walk by the science lab and head south.

We ducked into this hallway for a bit earlier when evading the anatomical model, but now we're going to actually explore it properly.

I'm not sure why this spirit is here. This could be the first pentagram you encounter as Yoshiki and Ayumi, but it's impossible for this to be the first pentagram you encounter, since you start as Satoshi's group and have to touch one to switch parties.

Anyway, we check out those two doors next.

The other door is Security Guard Room 2, which is also locked.

-- Use the [Long Board]? --

Yes

No

And this is why we ignored this hallway earlier. It's just two locked doors and this pit we couldn't cross until we went upstairs and grabbed the long board.

And with the board in place, we can walk straight across and continue south.

The south wing may be pretty familiar to people who played chapter 5 of the remake. It's more or less identical.

Aside from this poster and the pentagram we don't need to use, there's nothing else here. We continue east.

A couple of classrooms, and a pit between them. We head into the one door we can access.

Class 1-1 is probably the most severely damaged part of the school we've seen so far.

The tile-based RPG Maker layout makes it look a little goofy, but I kind of dig it. It makes it feel even more broken and damaged than it would if the graphics were seamless, even if it looks...bad...

-- Letter #03 --

"...on earth is this secret?"
"Uhm, yeah... There is a lot of them, but I think..."

The other half-bookcase just has a poster in it that says "Find the ten letters!!"

After reading the third letter, we head down to the board here in the corner.

-- Take it? --

Yes

No

Acquired [Long Board]

After grabbing the board, we head up through this hole in the wall.

Now we're in class 1-2! It's significantly less damaged than 1-1, but still pretty bad off.

We snake our way around the room, and place the long board here to reach this bookcase.

-- Letter #04 --

"...you have to press them in a certain order."
"You know which ones to press? Tell me!"
"Alright, uhm... First you press the right-most one..."

This is an important letter, since it explains the first portion of a puzzle. Also worth noting is that if we try to leave these classrooms with the long board in our inventory, it inexplicably shatters. My first thought was "Oh I guess they don't want you to carry this to some other place and use it to solve a puzzle" but there are no other places in the game where you can use a long board other than the spot we had to use one already to even reach this long board in the first place.

Anyway, we're finished with the fourth letter, so we head towards the room's exit, and check the nearby poster for flavor text. The blackboard is dated September 24th, 1947.

Someone left a note here...

My beloved sister, I'm in rough shape. The green floor cuts into your leg muscles. Don't walk on it... Please...keep on living. Look for what I left behind.

...There are many spirits within this school. Just like humans, there are good spirits and bad spirits. You can tell by their color. The calm, gentle spirits have a pale blue or green color. However, those that are evil and hateful carry a fiery, red light to them.

It hurts... Sister dearest...I'm so lonely... I don't want to die alone... I'm so scared... I...

A nice, helpful note that ends on a real downer.

The bookcase is full of broken glass and nothing of interest, so we leave.

As we leave, the numbers "2-9" appear on the board in blood. Yoshiki and Ayumi don't notice though.

And we can't actually go back in through here.

This spirit will warp us someplace else, but we turn it down for now and continue east down the hallway.

And at last, we encounter green goo as Yoshiki and Ayumi. If we hadn't met up with Satoshi's group by now, we would have to backtrack and do so to cross.

This room is sort of a weird puzzle. The first bookcase is full of broken glass and nothing else, so we ignore it.

Examining this poster immediately moves us four steps to the right. If we try to walk to the right manually, an unknown force makes us take several steps back, to the bookcase on the left.

-- Letter #06 --

"What now?"
"After that, you need to hold onto the ribbon and--"

You may notice that we're missing a letter, and a large portion of a crucial hint. I didn't overlook it, the letters are simply out of order.

If we take another step left, an unknown force immediately pushes us to the right, across the goo. If we tried to walk that way ourselves, it would have pushed us back to the left.

Crossing this room is honestly very confusing the first time.

We promptly ignore this notice and continue down the hall.

And we've arrived at the incinerator. There's a whole bunch of switches, but we have to press them in a specific order and we don't know it.

There seems to be a nail jutting out to hang a key on, but the key is missing.

Well dang, someone didn't follow the notice, and now we have to go track this key down.

This entire section, with the exception of the weird confusing goo hallway, is more or less transplanted directly into chapter 5 of the remake. It's really familiar and kind of nice to see how faithful they were, while still adding some new bits to it.

We can't do anything with the incinerator right now, so we turn around. Crossing the goo in this direction is similarly confusing, where we have to double back on ourselves a few times to get pushed forward, or else we're automatically moved in the wrong direction.

Before we talk to that spirit and accept its offer, we step back into this classroom. The door on the right doesn't open from the outside, but the door on the left does!

Music: Eeriness

...Th-that definitely wasn't there before!
2-9? No way! Isn't this...
...Classroom 1-2?

This skeleton has also appeared since the last time we were in here. Now that we've seen that little scene, we head out.

This time we accept the spirit's offer, and...

It takes us back to the classroom we started in. It's just a handy shortcut, but it's annoying if you talk to this spirit and do this when you don't want to be back here.

We head back around to the science lab and head upstairs.

And we try to enter class 2-9, but we're once again pushed away.

What was that bloody 2-9 about earlier!?
Maybe it meant this class? ...I dunno.

Suddenly, there's a flash of light and Yoshiki and Ayumi are bathed in blue. And then blinding white

Background Sound: Rain

It's br...bright...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I haven't read through the previous Corpse Party LPs. Would you recommend reading through those first or should I be fine starting with this one and reading the others after?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Randalor posted:

I haven't read through the previous Corpse Party LPs. Would you recommend reading through those first or should I be fine starting with this one and reading the others after?

Some of the updates in this are written from a perspective of "the reader has already played the PSP version or read the LP," but I avoid going into spoilery detail in case someone reads this one and then the others afterwards, so you should be fine doing it either way.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Say, DarkHamsterLord, what are your thoughts on Blood Drive so far, if you've played it? I'm watching an LP on youtube (again, no Vita) and it's uh...not growing on me.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know what those boards with the white on the edges is supposed to represent? The only thing that immediately springs to my mind is 'weakened / cracked' floor so I keep expecting someone to fall through...

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

yamiaainferno posted:

Say, DarkHamsterLord, what are your thoughts on Blood Drive so far, if you've played it? I'm watching an LP on youtube (again, no Vita) and it's uh...not growing on me.

I'm on Chapter 9 (of 10) and my feelings are mixed. It's a technical mess. The load times are abysmal and the framerate is dodgy. The gameplay has a lot of questionable choices, but the most annoying aspects are pretty easily circumvented (including a post-release patch that literally adds an option to completely disable something that a lot of Japanese fans complained about) so I find them easy enough to ignore.

The story is something I don't want to form an opinion on without completely finishing the game, and I wouldn't want to drop too many details and spoil future plans of mine or anything like that. My current opinion is "I like it more than Book of Shadows, still probably wouldn't recommend you buy it unless you like the series as much as I do for some reason"

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Last time, following a hint in classroom 1-2, we entered classroom 2-9 on the second floor. And it looks...off.

Yoshiki walks around the classroom, looking in all directions.

Thi-this is!?

...For real? How?

Ayumi runs across the classroom.

Oh! You're right--is what I wanna say, but...
YAY! We finally made it back!

And we're put into control of Yoshiki. We can talk to Ayumi here for some dialog.

I wonder how Satoshi and co. are doin'?

I wonder... Well, there are no pentagrams around, so we can't really check on him. We exit the classroom.

Oh! Convenient!

We can try to enter the other classrooms, but they're empty so Yoshiki doesn't go inside. We can go back into 2-9 and talk to Ayumi, who wonders if their entire ordeal was just a dream.

Background Sound: None

And then...

THERE ISN'T ACTUALLY ANYTHING TO DO AS SATOSHI

You just have to switch back and forth between parties to advance the story for some reason. This probably leads to most people switching to Satoshi's party and fruitlessly wandering around for ages and then switching back when they're at a complete loss.

!? ...Was that Shinozaki just now?

Yoshiki charges back into the classroom!

Sound Effect: Surprise!
(this sound effect is really silly and you should listen to it)

What's goin' on here!?
Ki-Kishinuma...?

We're put back into control, and head over to Ayumi's side.

...Ya okay?
...Yeah...

There's a bright flash, and...

Music: Terror

Kyah!?

There's another flash, and the lights come back on...

...and one by one, four spirits appear in a circle.

And the girl in red appears between them.

W-What the heck are ya!?

...I... ...I loved looking out from the corridor...and watching the rain fall...

Music: Eeriness

Y-ya think I know!?

...I...was really no good with people. I had few friends. Most days, I passed the time alone...But I didn't mind. I loved being alone. I preferred it that way...

...That vile stain upon the fabric of humanity... He was a disgusting opportunist...As always, I was alone, watching the rain fall from that corridor, when...I suddenly heard my teacher from a distance...

...It was such a peaceful day. The sound of rain splashing against the building was heavenly. This day would be perfect, except for...That man...he kept talking to me...until his lips drew close to mine......

...He then began to rub his hands all over my body... In horror, I looked up at his face...It was fat...ugly...distorted...Of course I tried to shake him off and run. But he grabbed ahold of my arm and wouldn't let go...

"Come on, ya came here because ya wanna do it, right? Don't kid yourself."
"I-I'll tell everyone! You'll never be able to teach again! ...Is that what you want?"

"Ya got no friends! ...Ya think some moody, introverted bitch can oust me? HUH!? Ya think anyone would listen to a pathetic wretch like you!? BYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, this is rich! Ya poor, poor thing! Bwahaha!"

"Y...you're terrible... Terrible... Terrible... The absolute worst... Why? Why would you say that? Am I a bad person? Did I do something wrong? Even if I'm a bad person! Even after you forced yourself on me! WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO SAY THAT!? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"
"M-my bad. I went a little too far. Let me apologize, 'kay? No biggie, right? Let me wipe those tears for ya."
"Get away from me! STAY BACK!! If you take one more step, I'll--

"You stupid slut!"
"...No! STAY BACK!!"
"Enough of the theatrics. GET DOWN HERE!"
"NooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

...I lost my footing on the edge of the third floor corridor...and fell...

...However, while trying to hide my body, he ran into the principal...He didn't even try to save face. He confessed to everything...The principal...Decided it would be best for the school's name to be left untarnished...And agreed to help hide what happened...

...Not a soul was around to see them...Awfully convenient for those degenerates, wasn't it?...

...I was listed as "missing." And, eventually, everyone forgot about me...Terrible, isn't it terrible? *sniffles*...

Wh...what does this have to do with us?
Are ya sayin' you're the one who dragged us down there!?
...That is correct...
Are ya kiddin' me!?

...What are ya talkin' 'bout?
...Naturally, I couldn't go to heaven. I couldn't cross over... I cursed that teacher. I cursed him and cursed him and cursed him...Over time, I had come to hate the whole world...All those people cheerfully going about their lives... Faces that never knew true suffering...Trapped within this school, unable to cross over, I began to view their carefree lives with great envy...My hatred kept growing and growing, until I felt something suddenly lift from me...

...I had come to resent humanity, until that resentment was all I had...My other half is the embodiment of all that hatred...She is the one who created these closed spaces...And started summoning people at random into there...

...But for some reason, her power has been weakening lately... I managed to send the two of you back home...
I understand. But I have one request... Please, save the others too!
I beg of you! Can you do that!?

Why not!?
...They are too close to "her;" I cannot affect her sphere of influence...
Even though you're both connected?
...I'm sorry...
Then what the hell are we supposed to do!? What do we gotta do to save them!?
...That's...
Please! Tell us how we can save them!
...There...is one way...
Tell us!

...Then...we can both rest in peace...
We...have to go back there!?
...I don't recommend this. If you decide to head back, I cannot return both of you to your world a second time...
But, if we do nothing, Mochida will die!
Kishinuma?

I guess we gotta, huh?
Yeah! Take us back! We'll surely rescue your soul!
...Are you sure? If you really want to, then I'll send both of you back...
Leave it to us! Come on, let's go!
...Thank you. Thank you so much...

And with that, Yoshiki and Ayumi return to the haunted school.

Music: Main Theme 3
(you should listen to this track, it's good)

Hey, Kishinuma?
What's up?
Thanks...for coming with me...
I know you didn't want to. Because you're a coward.
Like hell I am! You're just an ice queen!
I wish I could say that was true...
But I'm actually really scared.

This entire backstory is dramatically different from the backstory in the remake. I'm not going to go into full detail to avoid spoiling it in case anyone's reading this who's unfamiliar with the remake's story, but I will note that in this game, the girl in red is 16, not 7. We are in a haunted high school, not an elementary school. And unlike the remake, the girl in red is the only victim from prior to when people started to get pulled into the closed space.

We head east, and are immediately stopped.

Acquired [Marble Statue]

And with a flash, the girl disappears.

Looks like it.

Now that we have this important key item, we need to get it to Satoshi's group. We park Yoshiki and Ayumi here and switch parties.

And then...

And of course I left them way the hell on the opposite side of the school. We backtrack back up to the meeting room.

Satoshi!
Mochida, are you unharmed?! Thank God you're all okay!
We're fit as can be!
I'm a bit scared, but...

No way!
Yes way... but you're not going to like it.
But didn't you just say you found the exit?
Hold on, Mochida. We have something we're supposed to give you.
For me? What is it?

No way... are you serious?
Yeah. Anyways, we should split up again to find her remains.
Got it.

And now we've entered the "endgame" of Corpse-Party. We've had our major plot dump and our characters know how to escape. Now it's just a matter of putting things into action.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
This is moving a hell of a lot faster than the remake did, I'm actually kinda shocked that we're already at end game after a mere handful of updates rather than the several hours the remake took to reach this point.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

(you should listen to this track, it's good)

if for some reason you did not follow this good advice, please rectify. This song is so good its one of the few they just straight up kept for the remake even if I think the remake's version is less good.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I actually really prefer this backstory to the PSP remake's one. Aside from the whole attempted rape thing. I dunno, I just really prefer the whole "no pretense, just a vengeful spirit summoning people at random" thing.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Sinking Ship posted:

Does anyone know what those boards with the white on the edges is supposed to represent? The only thing that immediately springs to my mind is 'weakened / cracked' floor so I keep expecting someone to fall through...

I font think it represents anything in particular here. Sometimes it's used to represent a loose board, but it's also sometimes just different colored floor.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

This is moving a hell of a lot faster than the remake did, I'm actually kinda shocked that we're already at end game after a mere handful of updates rather than the several hours the remake took to reach this point.

Keep in mind it's an RPG Maker game. The original Corpse Party is pretty much just chapter 5 of the remake.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That was depressing. And wow they really expanded this game from the original premise if all this was one chapter.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

In control of Satoshi's group, we make our way back to the extending hallway. We technically could have done this a little while ago, but we'd just hit another immediate dead end anyway.

-- Use the [Iron Lever]? --

Yes

No

We use the iron lever to smash a hole in the wall. The lever is not removed from our inventory.

And it takes us to the Music Hall of Rotten Flesh, which is an absolutely enormous room.

We start working our way around it, and we encounter a door. We head inside.

A strange room with strange statues.

The skeleton offers helpful advice and then ceases to exist.

After talking to it, we head over to investigate the statues.

-- Place [Marble Statue] in his arms? --

Yes

No

We did it. The other statue is female and also has a space in its arms for something, but we have nothing to put in them.

Our work here is done for now, so we head back out.

And we continue making our way along the Music Hall of Rotten Flesh.

Talking to the spirit shown in the above screenshot causes it to disappear wordlessly.

And at the end of the hall is a piano. If we try to approach it, however, a mysterious force pushes us back.

Since there's nothing else to do here, we loop back around and exit the music hall.

And the hallway has expanded once again! We continue down the hall.

And at the end, we go around a corner and start heading north.

The hallway ends in a single door. We enter.

And now we've arrived in the principal's office.

The general layout of this room and how you access it seems to have served as the inspiration for the chapter 5 infirmary in the remake.

...Save me! ...SAVE ME!!...

...Stop it! STOP IT! It wasn't my fault! I didn't kill you! STOP TORTURING ME!...

There's a red flash, and...

...The girl appears.

...Kyahahaha...How disgusting. How wretched. It's all you self-absorbed adults' fault!...How about I break you until you can't give any more empty apologies?...
...Please! F-Forgive me! I can't take it anymooooore!...
...Ahahahahaha! You fool!...

The principal's spirit dissipates and reforms, screaming in pain.

...You think you can apologize for what you did?! You pathetic puke stain! I will torment you for all eternity!...

...GYAAAAH!...

Again, the principal's spirit dissipates and reforms.

...SUFFER!...

...MORE, MORE...

...Pl-please... s-stop...

...Stop what?...
Isn't he telling you to stop?!

The girl in red teleports across the room.

...You twerp. What gives you the right to tell me what to do!? I'll torment him as I please!...How about this? One time offer. You leave, and I let you live...

I'll MAKE you listen!
...How nice! The tiny worms think they're giants!...I'll kill you all!...

Music: Crisis

I don't think words are gonna work, Satoshi. We need to run. NOW!
Uwaaah!

Our party flees as the floor collapses behind them.

And we exit the room.

It's pointless...
It's like all that existed was hatred...
Big brother, do you think we can really go back home?
No way we can win against something like that...

We're put back into control, and we re-enter the principal's office.

Some floor has been restored. Enough that we can reach the desk.

-- Open the drawer? --

Yes

No

Acquired [Embryo Statue]

I like the icon for the Embryo Statue. Cute little red baby.

Anyway, now that we have this statue we backtrack back to the Music Hall of Rotten Flesh.

And go back up into this room.

Even though the [Marble Statue] was placed earlier, it's now rolling on the floor...

Acquired [Marble Statue]

I have no idea why they make us go through this effort again, but we place the Marble Statue a second time.

Like seriously, what is the point of dropping it on the floor and making you pick it back up and place it a second time?

And we give the female statue the embryo.

A door appears in this room!

Then both of the statues fly away and vanish because why not?

Predictably, the door leads us right across to the opposite side of the wall.

Acquired [Small Gold Key]

I think this is a piano key. We have one like this at home.
You own a piano?
What? Is that illegal?
N-Not at all. It's kinda surprising.
Let's go, Yuka.

Yuka and Satoshi go back through the door.

Is playing the piano so unlike me...?

Naomi's ability to play the piano is just not mentioned at all in the PSP games. I guess they dropped that character trait after this game because Naomi needed to be more boring.

Anyway, we head east and loop around the corner of the music hall.

And now we're able to approach and investigate the piano in the southeast corner.

A piano...
Why would anyone put a piano here?

Unfastened piano with [Small Gold Key]

Think I should play a bit?

Yes
No

You know how?
You don't believe me? I said I owned a piano!

Music: Elegy

Naomi starts to play the piano, and there's a bright flash of light...

...And a lot of spirits appear!

Uwah!?
Kyaaa!
Don't tell me these are all...
Are they... souls of those who died here?
No way! That's awful.

There's another flash, and...

A line of spirits disappear, and the floor expands.

Are they... guiding us?

Walk down the path.
Turn back.

I think they're trying to help us.
Let's go!

Big brother! Wait for us!

Satoshi's group heads across the invisible walkway, and the screen fades to black...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Quite a prolific hate-ghost.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Also very verbose.

I haven't read the other LPs in this series yet (and considering this is a remake of the original, I'd like to read them afterwards), but I think portraying the dead girl's evil side as it is makes her a bit too human.
Wonder how this will turn out in the end. I assume most of the bad ends will involve dying before this point.

Rather interesting for an RPGMaker game. The only other ones I've known that tried their hand at horror were the Dreamland series games and those were... not good. But those were done in RPGMaker2000.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Atrayonis posted:

Rather interesting for an RPGMaker game. The only other ones I've known that tried their hand at horror were the Dreamland series games and those were... not good. But those were done in RPGMaker2000.

Really? There's quite a few. Ib, Witch's House, Yume Nikki, & Mad Father immediately spring to mind.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
The only one of those I've even heard of was Yume Nikki - and I totally forgot about it.
Egg on my face.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

RPG Maker horror game is pretty much a genre at this point. Very few of them are actually good though.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Once Satoshi's group crosses the invisible walkway in the Music Hall of Rotten Flesh, we're automatically switched back to Yoshiki and Ayumi. I've hit the current "end" of their path, and now need to get this party caught up.

We take Yoshiki and Ayumi downstairs, and way down here.

They added a nice little bridge here for us, so we don't have to cross through the classrooms anymore. It's a nice little quality of life thing that's kind of surprising considering how much this game likes to make you go back and forth through places you've already been.

We keep going east and arrive at the incinerator...but we still don't know the order to press the buttons in.

Acquired [Security Guard Key]

...I know you have no choice, but... hang in there...

After giving us the key, the girl in red vanishes.

Yes, they made us come all the way to this arbitrary dead end to trigger this scene that could have happened anywhere and get a key, and now we get to backtrack back out of this dead end.

This guy sends us to a different place now, and it's actually right where we want to be, so we talk to him and accept his offer.

It takes us right here to the security guard rooms! And now we have the key, so we set about unlocking them.

First we unlock Security Guard Room 1, on the left, and enter.

It's too dark to see in here, so we have to feel around for a light switch.

As we grope around in the dark the areas we touch are "lit up" to let you get a feel for the room, but if you try to look through any cabinets or anything, it's too dark to see.

The switch is right here next to the cabinets. We flip it.

And we can see! We set about looking through the cabinets.

-- Letter #07 --

"Ribbon? What ribbon? You mean ours?"
"That's right. With your yellow ribbon in..."

Looking closely, you can see small insects crawling all over it...

This school has a ton of cabinets full of hair in it. They're very common in the remake too.

Acquired [Yellow Ribbon]

The yellow ribbon is the reason we have to come into this room. The letter is a useful hint as well, if you don't already know what to do. We exit the room.

And next, we open the second door and head inside.

This room is dark too, of course.

We flip this switch, but nothing happens...

This switch over here is the one that turns the lights on.

Not as much in this room. We check the cabinet.

-- Letter #08 --

"...hand, stick it into the incinerator."
"EH?! But isn't that dangerous!?"
"Yeah, it is. But it's what we have to do."

After reading that letter, we head through the door to the north.

A long hallway with two cabinets at the end.

-- Letter #05 --

"...After that, left-most, center, then the second one from the right, and finally the second one from the left."

-- Letter #09 --

"Wh-what just happened?"
"Like I said... ...zaki from Class 2-9 suddenly appeared!"
"Ahh...you mean that girl who went missing a year ago? She..."

-- Letter #10 --

"...told you her name?"
"Her body... It was burnt up..."
"I'm asking you who she is! Did you get her name!?"
"You really want to know?"
"Y-Yeah..."
"It was... Class 2-9's... Shino..."

And now we've read all ten letters. Here's the full conversation in one place, for convenience's sake:

"By the basement, there is an incinerator."
"There is? So what should we do?"
"On the wall, next to the poster, there is a secret button."
"...Next to the poster? What on earth is this secret?"
"Uhm, yeah... There is a lot of them, but I think you have to press them in a certain order."
"You know which ones to press? Tell me!"
"Alright, uhm... First you press the right-most one. After that, left-most, center, then the second one from the right, and finally the second one from the left."
"What now?"
"After that, you need to hold onto the ribbon and--"
"Ribbon? What ribbon? You mean ours?"
"That's right. With your yellow ribbon in hand, stick it into the incinerator."
"EH?! But isn't that dangerous!?"
"Yeah, it is. But it's what we have to do."
"Wh-what just happened?"
"Like I said... ...zaki from Class 2-9 suddenly appeared!"
"Ahh...you mean that girl who went missing a year ago? She told you her name?"
"Her body... It was burnt up..."
"I'm asking you who she is! Did you get her name!?"
"You really want to know?"
"Y-Yeah..."
"It was... Class 2-9's... Shino..."

And with that, we exit the security guard room. Now that we've got the combination to the incinerator and the yellow ribbon, we head all the way back to the incinerator.

And we press the buttons in the order listed in letters 4 and 5. Right-most, left-most, center, second from right, second from left.

After pressing all five switches, we examine the incinerator.

-- Use [Yellow Ribbon]? --

Yes

No

What will you do with the incinerator?

2: Hold your hand out and enter the incinerator?

Yes
No

3: While holding the [Yellow Ribbon], stick your hand in the incinerator?

Yes

No

For completion's sake, there are two other incorrect options if we say no to this one. They are "Toss Ayumi's red ribbon in the incinerator?" and "Search the soot for another ribbon and toss it in?"

I'll be showing what happens if we get it wrong in a later update.

After pressing the switches in the correct order and doing the correct thing with the ribbon, a pathway extends out of the rear of the incinerator.

-- Keep going? --

Yes

No

Yoshiki and Ayumi climb into the incinerator and start walking along the path.

Yoshiki and Ayumi continue into the room at the end of the pathway, and the screen fades to black.

...You kept going, despite my warnings...Kyahahaha! Bye-bye...

Sound Effect: Bye Bye

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Heh. Sounds like my 7th graders. :rimshot:

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Haha that sound effect.... did we just die?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I think you mean...

Did i just watch hear somebody die?

Would be nice to get a new page before the next update, too.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Would be nice to get a new page before the next update, too.

I'll try to help. How do people come up with or even figure out the rituals that they need for this supernatural stuff?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'll try to help. How do people come up with or even figure out the rituals that they need for this supernatural stuff?

Ghostly assholes loving poo poo up, is the usual answer. Or lovesick sociopaths with magic powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Sinking Ship posted:

Haha that sound effect.... did we just die?

I don't think we did - if we died, there would have been some sort of disgusting sound effect accompanying it.

Or at least there would be in the PSP remake.

• Locked thread