Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Arrrgh noooo the horror!

Sneaky edit: It Keeps Happening

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Had a request to do a Nightmare Before Christmas drawing.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Supr quick greaser werewolf (the lamest werewolf)

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Bunnycats

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Trying to get back into drawing after many years, so decided to start with something fun.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Tace Vim posted:

Trying to get back into drawing after many years, so decided to start with something fun.

Wow why did you leave ? That can sound incredibly sarcastic, so to clarify I really like these faces and they are very unique, sort of cubist and retro and modern at the same time. They remind me of caricatures I've seen of Conan O'Brien, but more fun.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 23, 2015

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It looks like animating them would be very efficient. With no loss of personality.

Seriously wtf do you have more?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Delta Echo posted:

Wow why did you leave ? That can sound incredibly sarcastic, so to clarify I really like these faces and they are very unique, sort of cubist and retro and modern at the same time. They remind me of caricatures I've seen of Conan O'Brien, but more fun.

It looks like animating them would be very efficient. With no loss of personality.

Seriously wtf do you have more?

Thanks! Kinda lost interest after being laid off as a prop artist at a game studio, and have been concentrating on my music since then. I have some time, so thought I should really get back into developing my drawing skills.

Glad you like the faces. They actually took a while to do, as I was attempting to give them "character" with as few lines as possible, and my penmanship needs work - lots of undos. More coming soon.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Next batch of faces. Should prolly get into playing around with bodies/figures soon.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
They are so drat excellent, and the narrative of 'I thought I'd pick up drawing again' makes them even awesomer...! How do they have so much personality, holy poo poo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He's getting a new TV show, so I figured I'd do a little cartoon of him:

He is groovy.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Horsefacefish of the Black Lagoon

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Arrrgh noooo the horror!

This is pretty great. I can see this being a successful series. They are like halloween bobbleheads.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

sigma 6 posted:

This is pretty great. I can see this being a successful series. They are like halloween bobbleheads.

Ohgod thank you, I was worried and waiting for someone to straight up call them "chubby little monster high dolls".

Meanwhile, something completely different

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wendigo:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

commission

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Cheers for the kind words people :)

It's the Lord of the Flies!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I know plenty of people have said it but dayum I, too, love the way you shade clothes. Also the tiny tiny feets!

How can I get commissioned to draw nothing but this, over and over? That is the cutest goddamn hyena and I've always found them to be unattractive creatures.

Also the trifecta of giant eyes is complete:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Is that a brain as a flower? Funny, if it is....

Crimson Peak is pretty good.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 26, 2015

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I've recently started learning how to draw. I have been practicing drawing in pen after someone suggested doing so to keep myself from spending far too much time on every little line. This one isn't very well done, but I like it for some reason.

I hate drawing cloth. The way it folds and wrinkles and hangs, and how it looks like poo poo no matter what until you do the lighting. God I hate cloth, and yet I draw it. I eventually gave up and just scribbled on it instead of trying to figure out how to draw it.

Does anyone here know any good techniques or tutorials for drawing cloth, specifically things like hoods, capes, and skirts?

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 26, 2015

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

I've recently started learning how to draw. I have been practicing drawing in pen after someone suggested doing so to keep myself from spending far too much time on every little line. This one isn't very well done, but I like it for some reason.

I hate drawing cloth. The way it folds and wrinkles and hangs, and how it looks like poo poo no matter what until you do the lighting. God I hate cloth, and yet I draw it. I eventually gave up and just scribbled on it instead of trying to figure out how to draw it.

Does anyone here know any good techniques or tutorials for drawing cloth, specifically things like hoods, capes, and skirts?

Look up "7 types of drapery folds". Clothing resolves into a few distinct types based on how it hangs.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Ah, thank you. That is exactly what I am looking for.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Study study study

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Reverse Pegasus.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Tonight's nightmare brought to you by monkeys wearing old doll masks.

Done in ballpoint pen for Inktober.

Reference here.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 27, 2015

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009

Good animal faces.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

ludodactylus

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Pro tip: When a girl models for you. Don't let her look at her phone the whole time.

EDIT:

Another monkey in a mask.

Tried to use photoshop to paint a background into this one to make it more ominous but I don't think I like it. Help would be appreciated. Feels like I can use traditional media, or digital media, but trying to mix them isn't working as well as I would like.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 29, 2015

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I really like these.

Two more pages of faces - so much fun to do! My penmanship is slowly improving. Now to move on to more challenging things...

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
More comics for my kiddos. Supposed to fill in the blanks with comparative/superlative phrases 'I'm stronger than you", etc.

And might not be a drawing, but it is spoopy.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 29, 2015

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

That cloth tutorial really made a difference. I've already improved greatly. Now I just need to learn to draw hands and legs at different angles and perspectives.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Now I just need to learn to draw hands and legs at different angles and perspectives.

AHAHAHAHA! "Just" :newlol:

I saw these cool watercolours+clipart arts and I thought the process should be pretty similar on a computer, but with less glue and more copy & paste

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

That cloth tutorial really made a difference. I've already improved greatly. Now I just need to learn to draw hands and legs at different angles and perspectives.

Stuff like Loomis and other art books can be pretty good for that kinda stuff, but really, one of the best things you can do is to do a lot of life drawing. Try doing an internet search if there are any figure drawing events going on in your area; Dr. Sketchy's is a fun one [it's usually pretty relaxed, and they have booze!] Another option is to ask if your friends might do a couple quick poses. Or you could try to discretely draw the people you see in public in your day to day life. https://www.pixelovely.com is another awesome resource you should check out.

Keep it up!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

another comm

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Tace Vim posted:

I really like these.

Two more pages of faces - so much fun to do! My penmanship is slowly improving. Now to move on to more challenging things...

You must be messing with me. You're an established artist and have earned income in some way from drawing characters in this style, haven't you. I'm one of the younger regs who hasn't been around long enough to know who you are... is what I'm thinking right now.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Frozenpussy posted:

You must be messing with me. You're an established artist and have earned income in some way from drawing characters in this style, haven't you. I'm one of the younger regs who hasn't been around long enough to know who you are... is what I'm thinking right now.

Nah, not trying to mess with you. I did work for about 4 years as a prop artist for a game studio, using Photoshop and 3ds Max to create assets and some levels. Only recently started playing around more with cartoony stuff, but have dabbled occasionally with the style in the past. I can draw more realistic figures and faces from reference if I take my time, but I'm pretty crappy at drawing stuff off the top of my head (apart from maybe weird aliens or spaceships). Would be really great to be a paid artist again - game art or cartoon stuff (which I don't know much about, but would like to get more into).

I just watched a whole bunch or Rick and Morty recently which inspired me to draw some cartoony faces, and I guess something in my brain just 'clicked'. It takes me about 2-3 hours roughly to do one of those pages, while casually watching TV or listening to music - which is pretty slow. I've just begun playing around with cartoon bodies, hands and feet, but they're not very good so far.

When I was working, I was getting into doing a few concept pieces, and practicing figure drawing, but not at a skill level that was professional IMO. Got lazy after losing my artist job, but I'm slowly getting back into it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Some more fishy people!

• Locked thread