Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think I'll be able to handle it if people poo poo on Drag Me to Hell.

It's all right....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

It's all right....

That's what I mean. I know a lot of people don't like it very much, its always been fairly divisive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you don't go in expecting the Evil Dead trilogy or good special effects, it's a fine film.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I'm pretty sure I've seen Shadow of the Vampire, but I honestly don't remember. Unfortunately I can't stay up for both because I'm an old person who has to go to bed at 11 on weeknights.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously gently caress off 3 out of the 6 movies this weekend feature a guy named Shrek

This had to be a deliberate theme

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

Seriously gently caress off 3 out of the 6 movies this weekend feature a guy named Shrek

This had to be a deliberate theme

Yes, it totally was.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry I yelled at you, I really appreciate you doing that.

I thought it wasn't going to be the three-peat because I had misremembered Shadow of the Vampire as being from '99.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

That's what I mean. I know a lot of people don't like it very much, its always been fairly divisive.

I saw it in theaters with a friend. I loved every minute of it, and he walked out halfway through to go sit in his car and wait. I don't understand how sitting in a car is preferable to a goofy demon movie.

Not many people mention how Drag Me to Hell is almost directly taken from Night of the Demon. Like, plot points, characters, ideas, everything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh excellent. Two movies that I really want to see. I don't know much about Drag Me to Hell but it was highly recommended to me. Also, anything with Willem Defoe is cool with me. :allears:

I found it interesting that a bunch of us are from the same region and age group. Seems to be a mid-northern US and Canada group (WI, MN, MI, Quebec, etc) who are all in there late 20s to mid 30s. Maybe it's something about the oppressively cold weather and loss of hope after experiencing reality for many years that drew us all to the horror genre. :shrug:

Join us!

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Years ago I was with some friends as I rented Shadow of Vampire while they rented Head Over Heels (with Freddie Prinze Jr). They made me shut off Shadow so they could watch that pile of poo poo and I never got to finsh Shadow. I'm super excited for this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I recommend anyone who hasn't watched Werner Herzog's Nosferatu to do so if they have time before the stream. It's not necessary viewing (any more than the original is) to appreciate Shadow of the Vampire, but it can give you a deeper appreciation of certain aspects of it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 4, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I haven't seen Herzog's version yet, no. Shadow of the Vampire's a great film. Also, Drag Me To Hell is not only new to me, but on the list I started making weeks ago to remember stuff radar wise to look for! Nice.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wait who was named shrek in last nights movies?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

Wait who was named shrek in last nights movies?

Shrek, in I Am Legend.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Oh right the actual shrek. Fair enough

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Max "Maximum Shrek" "The Shrek" Shreck

(both of these movies are real good)

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I really like Shadow of the Vampire, and I have yet to see Drag Me To Hell, but really want to. So tonight should be good. I'm also bringing along a friend who really doesn't know much about horror movies, so that should be fun. He hopped on last night in time for Slither, but tonight we should both be on the whole time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Live in 20! Due to technical difficulties on Ustream's part, we are using my backup channel.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
I don't suppose there's a mobile way to check this out? I know ustream has an app.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mister J posted:

I don't suppose there's a mobile way to check this out? I know ustream has an app.

Try this?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Well, the Outer Limits is certainly better than I remembered it being.

Except for that witch episode, that was just dire.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
My stream kept cutting out on the new site, unfortunately. Instead I double featured Re-Animator and Lifeforce, which I'm gonna call a good night.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Andrew Verse posted:

Well, the Outer Limits is certainly better than I remembered it being.

Except for that witch episode, that was just dire.

It's a very uneven show. I'd say there is a ratio of about 2:1 for good-to-bad episodes in the very long run.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It is very important when you curse someone to always say 'no cursebacks!'.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I fell asleep and missed the stream last night. How'd the movies go down? I've only seen Shadow of the Vampire once but I remember liking it a lot.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

I fell asleep and missed the stream last night. How'd the movies go down? I've only seen Shadow of the Vampire once but I remember liking it a lot.

Shadow of the Vampire
Rating: 8 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: The power relationship between Murnau and Shrek, and how it evokes sympathy for the latter far more effectively than the movie's more overt campaigns for the same

Drag Me to Hell
Rating: 4 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: The set and staging in the scene with the medium and the goat

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

yeah, last night had a lot less of a difference of opinions than Saturday's stream did. Shadow of the Vampire is a beautiful, well crafted film rich with layers. Drag Me To Hell is a muddled mess with bad cgi made by someone with the ability to do much better than they did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I am a lot more forgiving of CGI than most people that are on the Stream, I don't have a problem with any of the CGI in Slither or Drag Me to Hell.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i feel really bad for anyone who can't get past the CGI in Drag Me to Hell

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I learned that if you drink every time someone in Drag Me to Hell throws something up, then you too will throw up making it a less of a movie and more of an interactive experience.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The CGI had nothing to do with why I couldn't get into Drag Me to Hell at all

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

The CGI had nothing to do with why I couldn't get into Drag Me to Hell at all

i love it. Sam Raimi's Night of the Demon is a very easy sell to me, and Alison Lohman is a real trooper. it's interesting how the best successors to Ash's throne have both been women (Lohman & Jane Levy)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fun fact: Shadow of the Vampire is a film I'd seen before, and I spent a good 40 minutes of the movie thinking I should really go reheat my pizza because I was starving, but completely unable to tear myself away from the movie.

Loki_XLII posted:

My stream kept cutting out on the new site, unfortunately. Instead I double featured Re-Animator and Lifeforce, which I'm gonna call a good night.

I'm really sorry to hear that. We should be back to Ustream next week-end, barring more issues. I actually wanted to try switching back during the intermission since the frame dropping tends to only last for a short time, but I forgot.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i love it. Sam Raimi's Night of the Demon is a very easy sell to me, and Alison Lohman is a real trooper. it's interesting how the best successors to Ash's throne have both been women (Lohman & Jane Levy)

I definitely enjoyed it more than I did in '09, but outside of the medium scene and sorta the cemetery scene, too much of it just feels like it's focused on either extended, super-dour, poorly shot tension/jumpscare set pieces, or personal-scale physical unpleasantness. One old woman vomiting onto our protagonist over and over doesn't reach that Antonin Artaud theater of cruelty plateau for me, but the sneering demon jigs do.

I also just get hung up a lot on what the protagonist is and isn't punished for - folks in the chat last night were harping on the eating disorder reading, but more broadly it has to do with pride and shame, the idea that she's getting punished for forgetting her place as a pork queen and having naive faith in a predatory institution that lets her feel better about herself. Obviously the usual disclaimers of "depiction does not equal endorsement", but it's the kind of unpleasantness that I don't really care to watch regardless.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's definitely mean-spirited as hell, maybe even moreso than the original Evil Dead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just think the main character is incredibly weak. I'm going to be generous and blame that on the writing/directing and not the actress, since Raimi managed to make Kirsten Dunst look stilted and uninteresting in the Spider-man movies. Christine doesn't really show much personality until like the last 20 minutes of the movie. You could compare this to Ash in the original Evil Dead, but that movie wasn't as heavily focused on his character like 2 and 3 were, so he didn't need to have much going on. Christine just has these long scenes where she's explaining things or having things explained to her and it's so lifeless. And sometimes Justin Long is talking, which is always a negative in a film.

Ladies don't seem to be Raimi's strong point, even though it's obvious this movie makes attempts to have Christine's gender be a part of the themes and plot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Justin Long is definitely limited as an actor, but I think his role in Drag Me to Hell was perfect for what he does. He plays a great well-meaning, yet ultimately ignorant boyfriend. I think a lot of actors would have turned that character into a selfish dickhead but Long keeps him at least somewhat likeable throughout.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, his character was totally appropriate, I just don't like him.

Once again, I'm sounding harsher on this film than I'd want to. It's a 3/5, but I'm just passionate because we know Raimi can make 5/5 films. We even briefly see Sam Raimi wake up during his own film for the exorcism scene, but then the movie goes right back to very dry and lifeless scenes of Christine worrying.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jenny Angel posted:

Shadow of the Vampire
Rating: 8 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: The power relationship between Murnau and Shrek, and how it evokes sympathy for the latter far more effectively than the movie's more overt campaigns for the same

Drag Me to Hell
Rating: 4 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: The set and staging in the scene with the medium and the goat

This is pretty spot on. I've never seen Shadow of the Vampire before and only knew vaguely what it was about. The movie was wonderful and Malkovich and Dafoe were amazing. I'd probably give Drag Me to Hell 5 skulls just because it was Sam Raimi who directed it so I should sort of expect it to be.... kooky I guess? But yet, overall it was not very good even if it was supposed to be a little silly.

A nice little treat was actually the second Outer Limits episode with Robert Patrick (T1000) and the girl from Star Trek: DS9 (never seen that show before). That was surprising way to end the night on a high note.

Edit - Also this.

Lurdiak posted:

Fun fact: Shadow of the Vampire is a film I'd seen before, and I spent a good 40 minutes of the movie thinking I should really go reheat my pizza because I was starving, but completely unable to tear myself away from the movie.

I normally pay attention more to the chat than the movie (I know, not the best idea) but I found myself completely ignoring the chat because Shadow of the Vampire kept pulling me away and drawing me in.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Does anyone else have a problem running UStream on Android devices? I couldn't get the scream stream to run on either my phone or tablet, and my notebook was having stuttering problems as well but I'm mostly sure that's because of the combination of my aging notebook and Ubuntu.

• Locked thread