Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Jeez, this is a lineup of two things I've wanted to watch for a while, but I have to do not Internet stuff. Have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Please don't use AdBlock. There is a ton of poo poo wrong with that blocker. One of them being that a company bought them out and automatically whitelists some ads. They are lovely.

Luckily there is an alternative! uBlock

I was just going to recommend uBlock. It's nice, lightweight and without any of the weird shenanigans that AdBlock has going on.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Max Schreck is going to rise from the grave and ask you to stop calling him Shrek.

Consider it a counterweight to how the rest of my posts are incredibly insightful and dope

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Yesss I've never seen Ginger Snaps, and I was just thinking it's about time for my annual re-watch of Lords of Salem. Love that movie. And I'll register for Ustream this time so I don't have to post as anonymous.

mikeycp, those are also great films and I'm looking forward to hearing you podcast about them!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Etuni posted:

mikeycp, those are also great films and I'm looking forward to hearing you podcast about them!

Glad to hear it! I've seen Grave Encounters before and love it, but neither of us know anything about The Bay. I'm pretty excited to record it!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Uhg... can't decide if I want to see this stream. I've always wanted to see Ginger Snaps. And my suspicions about Lords of Salem seemed to be confirmed by reviewers at least. It got hilariously bad reviews. Of course I know that internet reviews don't mean much and doesn't determine if the movie has any entertainment value.

On the other hand... Nightmare on Elm street marathon. Gaaahhh.....

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Uhg... can't decide if I want to see this stream. I've always wanted to see Ginger Snaps. And my suspicions about Lords of Salem seemed to be confirmed by reviewers at least. It got hilariously bad reviews. Of course I know that internet reviews don't mean much and doesn't determine if the movie has any entertainment value.

On the other hand... Nightmare on Elm street marathon. Gaaahhh.....

You could always have both on (if you have a tv and a computer) and mute one. Gingersnaps is a pretty good movie.

I'm cautious about any Rob Zombie movie, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Namirsolo posted:

You could always have both on (if you have a tv and a computer) and mute one.

Mute Freddy's Revenge and watch my stream. I can guarantee that's a good choice.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Namirsolo posted:

You could always have both on (if you have a tv and a computer) and mute one. Gingersnaps is a pretty good movie.

I'm cautious about any Rob Zombie movie, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I hate Rob Zombie and The Lords of Salem is the only movie of his I found value in.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lurdiak posted:

Mute Freddy's Revenge and watch my stream. I can guarantee that's a good choice.

This is true. It just started as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I didn't expect Lurdiak to go with Lords of Salem because its not a very "fun" movie, so I thought for a stream it may not work. With that said, I feel its THE best horror movie since 2000.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, a lot of the reviews for Lords of Salem basically sum up every Rob Zombie movie I saw. loving boring with no payoff.

The Halloween remake is one of the only movies in my entire life that I have ever turned off halfway through because of how bad it was. I believe I saw the rest of it on TV eventually.

I'm not a Zombie fan as you can tell.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

Oh Lurdiak, never change from being completely contrary to my opinions... :allears:

(I look forward to you getting me to watch something else terrible for my challenge. Tonight I watched The Haunted World of El Superbeasto in prep to say I've seen all of Zombie's films. I'm still indirectly blaming you.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is the second Rob Zombie film I'll ever see. I really wasn't impressed with House of 1000 Corpses and how it just turned into a dumb music video halfway through. I've heard very good things about this one, so we'll see how it turns out. He's had a decade to hone his craft.

Live in 10!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You'll certainly see a difference visually. Zombie has come a long way technically as a filmmaker since House of 1000 Corpses.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The Lords of Salem is truly a great example of a Love it or Hate it movie, I don't think I've seen a single person say "Oh, it was okay".

I happen to dig it though but I love everything Rob has done, film and music.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lurdiak posted:

This is the second Rob Zombie film I'll ever see. I really wasn't impressed with House of 1000 Corpses and how it just turned into a dumb music video halfway through. I've heard very good things about this one, so we'll see how it turns out. He's had a decade to hone his craft.

Live in 10!

Oh jesus christ just in time.

This is happening on my TV right now.

The "dance" scene

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Ginger Snaps rules and you should definitely watch it with the stream tonight. This will also mark the first Rob Zombie movie I have seen; I think I've heard good things about The Devil's Rejects but can't remember hearing anyone be positive about the others.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I popped in for a minute on my iphone but watching it on that is a bit poo poo I'll join in tomorrow when I'm at home at my computer.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ugh, my internet connectivity is crap. Until I get that fixed I can only stay in stream for like, 5 minutes at a time tops. rassa frassa.

EDIT: Yeah, I can watch the movies but I can't chat. I lag and my connection drops. I'll be there, but deaf and mute. Got a tech coming in the AM.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 10, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Wilhelm Scream posted:

The Lords of Salem is truly a great example of a Love it or Hate it movie, I don't think I've seen a single person say "Oh, it was okay".

I really like it but I wouldn't say I "love" it. The Devil's Rejects remains the best movie he's ever done though. It's not just good "for a Rob Zombie movie", it's plain good and one of my favorite horror movies.

Halloween was just boring and phony-edgy, but watchable I guess. House of 1000 Corpses is a loving mess but it's a fun mess, in my opinion.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Lords of Salem was just really hit or miss. I really liked a lot of the visuals, especially the grand satanic temple scenes (although maybe minus the tentacle baby). But I kind of agree with what people were saying that the opening of the film really did nothing to ground it, it was hallucinations from the start line that had no weight. But I'd say it picked up pretty well from there, it's just that once you're already down on the movie it's hard to get back into it. Whoever was saying that Rob Zombie is like halfway a really good director but just falls short seems pretty spot on for this- there's a lot to like but it's just not all there.

Ginger Snaps on the other hand was pretty great all around. Even if it is kind of a huge downer. feeling bad about the mom.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I just got done seeing it for the first time. I'm in the loved it category. What a purty film

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just wanted to say that I have too few participants in the pizza raffle right now, so if you're on the fence, you really should give it a shot.

I also wanted to apologize if I was a little too grumpy in stream chat tonight, I've had a long day and I hope I didn't dampen anyone's enjoyment of the stream.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Meh, the stream worked around your whole grumpy "stop making jokes during the film I like" bit, especially since it then turned into "I'm going to make jokes during the film I don't like." Also thanks for finding the outer limits episode I wanted to see.

I was the guy that said that Zombie seems to always stop short of amazing filmmaking just close enough that you can see it hiding in the cracks behind his very "meh" work. This is true of his entire filmography (except for Superbeasto which I watched tonight before the stream. Man is that a wet turd.)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ginger Snaps: Had been meaning to see this for around a decade, but never gotten to it. Both lower-budget and better than I'd expected. The central two performances were particularly strong.

Lords of Salem: A lot of really striking imagery imposed around a complete non-entity of a character. I only rarely was able to engage with the movie, but I'd never seen a Rob Zombie film before and am glad to have done so.

A fine pair of choices as far as I'm concerned.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had never seen Ginger Snaps before, I thought it was a very solid werewolf movie. Not the best ever but very entertaining.

As for Lords of Salem, Its frustrating to hear people poo poo all over a movie you love but nobody was really jerky about it. I was hoping at least one person would be blown away by it and just absolutely love it like I do but that didn't happen. O well, I watched Lords of Salem twice this year so really I'm coming out ahead.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It turns out I was half-wrong about Lords of Salem; it's still the only Rob Zombie movie I've seen, but I had actually seen it as a theatrical release and completely forgotten about it. Didn't come back to me until the first shot of the protagonist's hair. It felt like kind of a mess both times, though; lots of stuff that works and some great imagery, some stuff that doesn't work at all, and if the characters don't hook you at least a little bit early on nothing in it is ever going to have any sort of impact. I think it worked much better in theaters than it did on the stream, but still some nice sets and shots. Still love Ginger Snaps.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

Monster House

and...

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

We'll also be announcing the winner of the...

Be there!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 10, 2015

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Very good stream again last night Lurdiak. I didn't sense much hostility from anyone and it seemed that everyone, again, had a good time.

Ginger Snaps was a pretty entertaining movie. As I said last night (if I remember most movies are broken up into 3 acts), the beginning was just a little strange. Probably just getting used to those bizarre Canadian creatures. They look just like us! I liked the second act the best when all of the problems were laid out and we're learning/trying to solve them. I thought the 3rd act lagged a little bit. I'm not smart enough movie-wise to know why, but it just felt a little boring. Overall it was pretty good.

Lords of Salem was pretty much what I expected. It's a Rob Zombie film. Someone said it's a love it or hate it movie and I'm clearly in the hate it camp. It was extremely boring and I didn't care about any of the characters. There were a few neat visuals though. I thought it was going to get bad when some people were just barely getting to the point of "You're opinion is bad. Here, let me explain to you why you should like this movie!", which is completely stupid because if you are forced to explain it to someone then the movie might just be inherently bad (which I'm not saying it was, I just didn't enjoy it), but it didn't get out of hand at all.

We are all goons, and what do goons do? They poo poo all over anything that's good in this world. So maybe we all should just try not to get offended about movies and have some fun!

Also one thing that I found interesting. It was pointed out that Ginger Snaps is a very low budget film, however they had an estimated budget of $5,000,000 and Lords of Salem had only half that at $2,500,000. Doesn't mean much I just thought that was interesting.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Ooh! Two movies that I have seen and really like. I was planning on doing a rewatch of Tucker and Dale anyway.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Tucker and Dale is a goddamn blast.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think we can all come together and agree that Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is a great movie.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

King Vidiot posted:

I think we can all come together and agree that Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is a great movie.

I've shown that movie to a number of horror-dislikers who went into it very apprehensive and came out having had a great time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I haven't actually seen Tucker & Dale vs Evil, but it came highly recommended. I however did see Monster House in the theater and loved it. If you like Monster Squad or The Goonies or even Fright Night, that movie is for you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Live in 9!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving, everybody! Beginning at 8:30, tonight's features are...

Let The Right One In

and...

The Cabin In The Woods

Don't miss it!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Noice. I've been meaning to rewatch Let the Right one In. Cabin in the Woods should generate some interesting chat

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I may watch Let the Right One In, but you couldn't pay me to watch Cabin in the Woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

No

• Locked thread