Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All I remember about Secret Window is that it was like a story that someone would write if they were trying to parody Stephen King. And it's a Stephen King story.

But it's not really the first or last time Stephen King parodied himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
It's pretty much a sister story to The Dark Half. Same premise, different ending. I prefer Secret Window by quite a bit and Depp is fine in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

We're live!

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Secret Window - pretty fun/10

The climax was sillier than I had remembered it but I still like this movie. Depp more or less carries the entire thing on his back but in a good way considering the nature of the plot and the ending.

30 Days of Night - no/10

It's not like this is the worst thing I've ever seen but there really wasn't any redeeming factor at all. Even worse there were flashes of inspiration and interesting ideas that died flopping around in the snow. Also Josh Hartnett trying to be a Cool Tough Dude is pretty laughable but not in a fully enjoyable way.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I would have joined in, but I didn't care of either of those flick. I'm excited to see what's on the menu for tonight!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

The Babadook

and...

Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead

We will also announce the winner of the...

Be there!

Buzkashi posted:

I've really only seen That One Scene in 30 Days of Night and if the rest of the movie is as good as that, I'm on board.

Having seen the movie, I don't even know what scene you might be referring to. Any time something kind of cool happened it was impossible to get into it because of the crazy editing and bad camera work.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Do you need to have seen Dead Snow 1 first to enjoy Dead Snow 2? I've been hearing rumblings of "no" but I want to be sure.

Otherwise, yay! Double "new to me" stream!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Man, two awesome movies in a row. You're spoiling us (and by us I maybe mean everyone else depending if I show up)!

Choco1980 posted:

Do you need to have seen Dead Snow 1 first to enjoy Dead Snow 2? I've been hearing rumblings of "no" but I want to be sure.

Otherwise, yay! Double "new to me" stream!

Nope they pretty much just explain the first movie in this one and there's a bunch of "rules" introduced in this one for how the zombies work and what they're after. It's kind of like Evil Dead vs. Evil Dead 2. It tells a totally different story that's almost like a "reboot".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well regardless, my sequel OCD means I'm watching the first now spur of the moment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think any sequel will ever be as "Don't bother with the first one before watching this" as Maniac Cop 2, which opens with the finale of Maniac Cop, free of any editing or recap narration.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok everyone, Ustream is doing that thing again, so the stream will be here again for tonight. You need to register to chat, I'm sorry, it's annoying.

Live in 30!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Ok everyone, Ustream is doing that thing again, so the stream will be here again for tonight. You need to register to chat, I'm sorry, it's annoying.

Live in 30!

Yay, I'm on my tablet and if I load Connectcast as a mobile site, I can't access the chat, and if I connect to it as a desktop page, the player won't load. :negative:

JetpackJeezus
Jul 27, 2011

Heaven Can Wait
I won!

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

Having seen the movie, I don't even know what scene you might be referring to. Any time something kind of cool happened it was impossible to get into it because of the crazy editing and bad camera work.

I was referring to the big town attack sequence, which I thought was pretty solid, if yeah, a bit hectic in the editing department.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Buzkashi posted:

I was referring to the big town attack sequence, which I thought was pretty solid, if yeah, a bit hectic in the editing department.

Ah. That was pretty good in a "poo poo hit the wall" kind of way, yeah.

MisterBibs posted:

Yay, I'm on my tablet and if I load Connectcast as a mobile site, I can't access the chat, and if I connect to it as a desktop page, the player won't load. :negative:

Apologies. :(

I hope you like Sierra Mist, it's my default option for when I have beverage money in the pot. I just assume all Americans like it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 18, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not gonna lie, this was the best stream this year so far. I hadn't seen either films. The Babadook was breathtakingly good, and Dead Snow 2 was awesome fun (and got me to watch part one earlier today!).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

Coraline

and...

The Descent

Don't miss it!

Choco1980 posted:

Not gonna lie, this was the best stream this year so far. I hadn't seen either films. The Babadook was breathtakingly good, and Dead Snow 2 was awesome fun (and got me to watch part one earlier today!).

Good movies are fun. :c00l: I'm glad to see a modern horror comedy done right, and I liked how basically nothing about the Babadook felt like the standard horror setup.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Sad that I missed the Babadook but tonight looks good! But not to be rude...is The Descent the good "women in a cave" movie or the other one?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've heard it's the good one.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
My fiancee's started to tune in to Scream Stream only to watch The Outer Limits, I'm incredibly okay with this

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

My fiancee's started to tune in to Scream Stream only to watch The Outer Limits, I'm incredibly okay with this

Make sure she doesn't try to adjust the image. There is nothing wrong with her monitor.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
I saw both of these in theaters and had a great time doing so.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Make sure she doesn't try to adjust the image. There is nothing wrong with her monitor.

It's my monitor, and I'm not enough of a little poo poo to tell her that if she tries to adjust the angle so she can see better

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

It's my monitor, and I'm not enough of a little poo poo to tell her that if she tries to adjust the angle so she can see better

:(

Please stand by...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ohh, I heard Coraline was very good. And I think I just saw a picture of Salvador Dali with naked women doing that exact same thing on The Decent poster. Interesting.

Sorry I haven't been able to grace you all with my presence yet this weekend. I was actually out doing social things (drinking). I'm sure the streams have been better because of this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

The best thing about The Outer Limits is, if you've forgotten / never watched the episode, guessing what the Horribly Depressing Plot Twist is.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

The best thing about The Outer Limits is, if you've forgotten / never watched the episode, guessing what the Horribly Depressing Plot Twist is.

Agreed. Though every once in a while they flip the script and it's a horribly depressing story with a plot twist of a happy ending, like the one we watched about alley sheedy as a reporter tracking down a conspiracy of a strange alien man seemingly systematically killing people, only to find out he was containing a deadly plague--which she contracted, and at the last minute that she gives in to him eradicating her, he tells her that's not what he was doing, he's transporting them to his home planet where the virus is harmless and they can live out a full, bittersweet life. :unsmith:

Anyways, another two I've never gotten around to seeing. Nice. Kinda makes up for the fact that I haven't watched anything yet today for my new-to-me challenge.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I missed the chat the beginning of Dead Snow 2. Was that a dubbed version of the movie? The one on Netflix seems to be in English the whole way through.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

No it wasn't, about half the dialogue was Norwegian, but hilariously, when Luridak skipped around in preparation for the stream, he landed on one of the scenes with Americans in it, and assumed it was in English. Cue lots of wacky times with him acquiring a subtitle file and then figuring out how to synch it up.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Choco1980 posted:

No it wasn't, about half the dialogue was Norwegian, but hilariously, when Luridak skipped around in preparation for the stream, he landed on one of the scenes with Americans in it, and assumed it was in English. Cue lots of wacky times with him acquiring a subtitle file and then figuring out how to synch it up.

I did some wiki research and apparently they shot both in English and Norwegian at the same time. That explains why they are speaking English with accents in the Netflix version (yes the whole way through the film).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ustream is still giving me guff, so it's back to ConnectCast for tonight. Live in 30!

Namirsolo posted:

I did some wiki research and apparently they shot both in English and Norwegian at the same time. That explains why they are speaking English with accents in the Netflix version (yes the whole way through the film).

That sounds like a better alternative than the crummy subtitles we had, although I felt that they sort of added to the charm of the experience.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Ustream is still giving me guff, so it's back to ConnectCast for tonight. Live in 30!

That sounds like a better alternative than the crummy subtitles we had, although I felt that they sort of added to the charm of the experience.

Noooooo! I can't use the ConnectCast! Hopefully Ustream isn't being so stubborn next weekend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Watrick posted:

Noooooo! I can't use the ConnectCast! Hopefully Ustream isn't being so stubborn next weekend.

I'm so sorry Watrick. :(

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm so sorry Watrick. :(

poo poo happens. Thank you for doing all this work anyway. It's much appreciated.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Y'know, I'm not a big participant in this thread or the stream chat, but I just wanted to say:

Hey Lurdiak. You're a fuckin champ.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

I saw both of these in theaters and had a great time doing so.

In my defense, please bear in mind that The Descent played the same week as Snakes on a Plane, and a lot of people were in that kind of mood.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I just want to say that the stream is awesome (why isn't Outer Limits on Netflix, dammit) and I'm mad that I didn't notice this earlier in the month and previous years.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, had a lot of fun tonight. Coraline is pretty much as good as I expected, I just hadn't seen it due to laziness. The Descent didn't really live up to its hype that people give it, it's just so so, but conversation was at least good for it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I think the first half of The Decent is a great horror movie. It's main flaw is that the second half is completely not the same genre as the first.

Copper Pipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh I totally agree. It's like they smashed two different movies together. I think part of why people praise the movie so much is it was part of a movement right around that time of having mainstream horror turn a corner from stagnation of post-90s lameness and post-9/11 shellshock into people actually trying to make creative horror again. Like, it was the first of any upward pendulum momentum so it was seen as a breath of fresh air. Also, it felt like there were little glimpses here and there of like, a first draft psychological horror peeking behind the cracks in what it turned into over time that could have been more interesting. Hell, even "The Descent" title COULD have had double meaning, but it really didn't.

• Locked thread