Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Darkness falls across the land
The midnite hour is close at hand
Creatures crawl in search of blood
To terrorize y'all's neighbourhood
And whosoever shall be found
Without the soul for getting down
Must stand and face the hounds of hell
And rot inside a corpse's shell
The foulest stench is in the air
The funk of forty thousand years
And grizzly ghouls from every tomb
Are closing in to seal your doom
And though you fight to stay alive
Your body starts to shiver
For no mere mortal can resist
The evil of the..

Welcome one and all, to the official :ghost: Scream Scream :ghost: thread for this October. What started as a way to celebrate Halloween with a few online friends has grown into a yearly tradition that you're more than welcome to partake in. If you love horror movies and the season of the witch even half as much as I do, or if you just want to hang out with some goons and watch movies this October, you'll fit right in. Now, let me explain how this works.

Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday for all of October, at 8:30 EST, I'll be streaming two horror films a night, along with some other light halloween-themed entertainment to break it up. The stream is hosted on this Ustream channel, and sometimes here when Ustream decides it wants to suck. That's a minimum of 24 horror films for the whole of the month, a worthwhile celebration of the best of all holidays.

Every Scream Stream has its own Scream Theme, and this year the theme of the films shown will be "Modern Horror." I'll be showing spooky films made in 2000 or later. No remakes allowed! We're going to be watching original works that you might've missed due to all the remakes dominating the headlines.

I haven't seen every movie that I'll be showing, so even I may end up surprised at a great (or terrible) movie I end up streaming. I won't spoil what we're going to be watching, but I will say that the Paranormal Activity series will not be making an appearance. What a shame.

Pictured above: me preparing to reply to posts by Paranormal Activity fans.

But the fun of the Scream Stream doesn't just stop at watching awesome horror movies with cool and handsome people! We also have prizes! What kind of prizes? Well how's about :

Every single Friday night, you'll have your chance to enter a raffle to win a pizza that will be delivered on the following night, to enjoy while you watch your movies! You have to tune in for the details. Here are some of last year's satisfied winners:

I just want to say that I love Halloween, I love horror movies, and it's my pleasure to host this stream. Last year was a ton of fun, and hopefully this year will be even better! Keep an eye on this thread for updates about the lineups and any last minute changes that might happen. Let's all watch some movies, post about the movies and have a... :spooky: bloody good time! :spooky:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So this post is a walk down memory lane. This is the third Scream Stream, and while the first one was a small affair (with the theme of "Family-Friendly Horror"), last year's was a bit bigger, with the theme of Horror Sequels. Here's what we all watched!

And here's last year's Scream Stream opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyOebimeruU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SCREAM STREAM 3 MONSTER HALL OF FAME

Here's what we've watched so far this month!

1408 (Theatrical cut)

Final Destination

I am Legend

Slither

Shadow of the Vampire

Drag Me To Hell

Ginger Snaps

The Lords of Salem

Monster House

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Let The Right One In

The Cabin In The Woods

Secret Window

30 Days of Night

The Babadook

Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead

Coraline

The Descent

Bug

The Conjuring

Frailty

You're Next

American Psycho

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

It Follows

Excision

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 31, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Yay! :neckbeard: last year I caught about half of these streams and they were SO much fun. Mockking the bad stuff, getting scholarrly with the good. Hanging out. Was it halloween itself where everyone was a winner and we had a pizza party? Good times. Definitely will parrticipate this year. :spooky:

That was the week-end before Halloween. For those who missed it, a friend of mine decided to donate a crazy amount to the raffle, meaning I had enough dough to buy everyone a pizza. I make absolutely no guarantees of anything like that happening this year, but the Scream Stream is an unpredictable beast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

So does the scream streamers chat in-window or do they like to voice chat?

In-window. I'm not gonna be talking over movies like some kind unfunny Rifftraxer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SCREAM STREAM INAUGURAL NIGHT

Beginning at 8:30 EST, Friday's features are...

1408 (Theatrical cut)

and...

Final Destination

Tonight is also your chance to enter the raffle and win...

Be there!

... I have a feeling that this year is going to feature a lot more lovely posters than last year.

Basebf555 posted:

The post-2000 thing is actually really interesting, it actually makes it even harder somehow to predict what we'll be watching. I'm hoping for The Ruins!

Also the majority of my personal Halloweenathon is pre-1990 so this is a good addition to that stuff.

I feel like there was a dry spell in memorable quality horror in the post-2000s, with a ton of remakes and some movies like Saw that some people might not consider legitimate horror films. Nothing as iconic as the Hammer and Universal horror era or the inescapable 80s slashers. But that doesn't mean there wasn't good stuff, especially in the past couple years with the indie renaissance!

Dr.Caligari posted:

Oh, and I love you.

Rivarz posted:

I was just thinking today about how much I liked last year's stream.

Lurdiak, you're the best. I set aside some money for a donation this year.

Namirsolo posted:

Yay! It's the most wonderful time of the year! Thank you for running this, Lurdiak. I can't wait.

Aww, y'all are gonna make me blush.

Watrick posted:

Would I be able to stream uplay through my PS4?

You can stream to Ustream from your PS4, so I don't see why the reverse wouldn't work.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 2, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We are live in 10 minutes!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wrong thread, doc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh poo poo!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

I am Legend

and...

Slither

We'll also be announcing the winner of the...

Be there!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

Which ending of I Am Legend

The other one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

Oh well I'll probably go see The Martian with pals instead, sorry about that

We all have our own wars to fight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

To be clear I Am Legend with the correct ending is one of my favorite sci-fi horrors like, ever. But I think I wanna use this stream to watch and appreciate stuff I've never seen before, so I'll try and make it back in time for Slither.

I've never seen the alternate ending and I got really mad at the theatrical ending when I first saw it, so I wanted to give this a shot.

quote:

EDIT: Note that I Am Legend is the second movie you're showing this weekend that features a guy named Shrek

Don't ruin it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Eerie Indiana and The Outer Limits (95) will be showing up every stream for people who want to stick around after the movies. You can finally find out how those episodes ended!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

Is the "real" ending that butterfly poo poo?

Hahahaha, it suuuuure is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We're live in 8!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Any hints on to the lineup tonight?

Beginning at 8:30 EST, tonight's lineup is...

Shadow of the Vampire

and...

Drag Me To Hell

Be there!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Lot's of disagreements with the movies last night but it was still fun and I still appreciate the stream. :haw:

Not every movie's gonna be a hit with everyone, that's part of the fun. :D

Watrick posted:

I got me some delicious pizza!

Hell yeah! Reminder for next week, the more people enter the raffle, the bigger the pizza for the winner.

Choco1980 posted:

....FOR ME TO POOP ON!!

Poop was extra.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 4, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think I'll be able to handle it if people poo poo on Drag Me to Hell.

It's all right....

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you don't go in expecting the Evil Dead trilogy or good special effects, it's a fine film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

Seriously gently caress off 3 out of the 6 movies this weekend feature a guy named Shrek

This had to be a deliberate theme

Yes, it totally was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I recommend anyone who hasn't watched Werner Herzog's Nosferatu to do so if they have time before the stream. It's not necessary viewing (any more than the original is) to appreciate Shadow of the Vampire, but it can give you a deeper appreciation of certain aspects of it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 4, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Live in 20! Due to technical difficulties on Ustream's part, we are using my backup channel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mister J posted:

I don't suppose there's a mobile way to check this out? I know ustream has an app.

Try this?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fun fact: Shadow of the Vampire is a film I'd seen before, and I spent a good 40 minutes of the movie thinking I should really go reheat my pizza because I was starving, but completely unable to tear myself away from the movie.

Loki_XLII posted:

My stream kept cutting out on the new site, unfortunately. Instead I double featured Re-Animator and Lifeforce, which I'm gonna call a good night.

I'm really sorry to hear that. We should be back to Ustream next week-end, barring more issues. I actually wanted to try switching back during the intermission since the frame dropping tends to only last for a short time, but I forgot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just think the main character is incredibly weak. I'm going to be generous and blame that on the writing/directing and not the actress, since Raimi managed to make Kirsten Dunst look stilted and uninteresting in the Spider-man movies. Christine doesn't really show much personality until like the last 20 minutes of the movie. You could compare this to Ash in the original Evil Dead, but that movie wasn't as heavily focused on his character like 2 and 3 were, so he didn't need to have much going on. Christine just has these long scenes where she's explaining things or having things explained to her and it's so lifeless. And sometimes Justin Long is talking, which is always a negative in a film.

Ladies don't seem to be Raimi's strong point, even though it's obvious this movie makes attempts to have Christine's gender be a part of the themes and plot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, his character was totally appropriate, I just don't like him.

Once again, I'm sounding harsher on this film than I'd want to. It's a 3/5, but I'm just passionate because we know Raimi can make 5/5 films. We even briefly see Sam Raimi wake up during his own film for the exorcism scene, but then the movie goes right back to very dry and lifeless scenes of Christine worrying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Buzkashi posted:

What's the game plan for this weekend?

Sorry, meant to post this earlier.

Beginning at 8:30 EST, Friday's features are...

Ginger Snaps

and...

The Lords of Salem

Tonight is also your chance to enter the raffle and win...

Be there!

That was seriously the best image I could find for the only well-designed poster Ginger Snaps has.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Does anyone else have a problem running UStream on Android devices? I couldn't get the scream stream to run on either my phone or tablet, and my notebook was having stuttering problems as well but I'm mostly sure that's because of the combination of my aging notebook and Ubuntu.

Are you using Ustream's Android app? I can't speak for it, but I have to assume it works better than just trying to use the website directly. I mean, you probably already tried that.

Basebf555 posted:

Last year's sequel theme was so broad that it made it impossible to predict, but with this year being post-2000 its fun to guess.

I'm thinking at some point he'll show at least a few of these: The Descent, The Ring, The Strangers, The Ruins, 28 Days Later, The Mist, Ginger Snaps, Joy Ride.

That's leaving out the really recent stuff like As Above, So Below, It Follows, and You're Next. I'm not sure if he's going to show anything form the past year or two. For some reason I suspect he'll do Joyride at some point, its exactly the kind of forgotten early 2000's relic that he was probably thinking of when he chose this theme.

I keep saying "he" someone correct me if Lurdiak is not a guy.

Good guesses! I might stream more of your guesses, or maybe Ginger Snaps was the only one you got right. We'll see...

And for the record, I'm aromantic agender.

Basebf555 posted:

Another likely candidate could be Jeepers Creepers, and yes I know about how the director is a creepy pedo.

We will not be watching movies directed by creepy pedos. Sorry, Bryan Singer!

mikeycp posted:

I would think The Ring would count against the no remakes rule, even though it's better than the original.

The Ring won't be appearing because it might be my most hated horror film of all time.

Jenny Angel posted:

One quick point I wanna add to Shadow of the Vampire discussion before we move onto this weekend:

The most heartbreaking part of the movie to me is how, at the end, Shrek is just trying to drat hard to earn his prize. It's still a hosed up and monstrous goal, but you can see in how solicitous he is towards the female lead, and how much he acts his rear end off in his 'death scene' despite being an awful actor, that he has some strange notion of chivalry and propriety that means he's going to do his absolute damnedest to deserve this. And then, after recording the best possible death scene that someone with his limited abilities could, Murnau shrugs, throws it out, and films the death scene again. More authentically this time.

Yeah, the whole climax of the film is brilliant and filled with so many oddly placed emotions and subtle touches. Like I said in stream, that final line stuck with me for years. By the way, I'm curious as to why you lowered the movie's score from 9/10 to 8/10 in between the stream night and your post?

Jenny Angel posted:

Lurdiak's been really good about including movies that maybe aren't 100% gems but that have some very interesting scenes and elements amidst the terminal unevenness, which makes me wonder if something like Sinister is on the docket.

As Jay Bauman once said, horror doesn't always have to be good, as long as it's memorable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I just watched Lords of Salem last night, but I absolutely plan to tune into the stream because I'm very interested to see what people have to say about it.

I'm probably gonna be singing Dragula the whole time.

Jenny Angel posted:

I have no response other than to be flattered that you paid enough attention to notice that I lowered the score from 9 to 8 skulls.

CineD journalism strikes again #Jennygate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

dog days are over posted:

Can UK people enter the raffle for pizza because gently caress I want a pizza!

If not I guess I will still watch the movies anyways. :colbert:

As long as your weird british pizzerias accept online orders, I don't see why not!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not convinced British people understand what food is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It sounds like the stream might be a tad lonely tonight... I hope Sad Bulldog doesn't have to return as a result.

Jenny Angel posted:

In all honesty it's because of the peak-end rule. It's a movie that gets better as it goes on - when Shrek shows up there's a jump in quality, and then again when Wagner shows up. But the first 20 minutes or so contain stuff like the lead actress complaining that the camera "drains life from her", which is on the nose enough to be distracting but not on the nose enough to be dope.

That's fair, although I love all the stuff at the beginning, on-the-nose foreshadowing and all.

Max Schreck is going to rise from the grave and ask you to stop calling him Shrek.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 9, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rivarz posted:

Does anyone else have issues with Ustream interrupting every like 15 minutes to pop in a commercial?

It only happens on my pc, and I haven't seen anyone else complain about it, so I wasn't sure if there was some easy fix that I'm too oblivious to notice.

There is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Namirsolo posted:

You could always have both on (if you have a tv and a computer) and mute one.

Mute Freddy's Revenge and watch my stream. I can guarantee that's a good choice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is the second Rob Zombie film I'll ever see. I really wasn't impressed with House of 1000 Corpses and how it just turned into a dumb music video halfway through. I've heard very good things about this one, so we'll see how it turns out. He's had a decade to hone his craft.

Live in 10!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just wanted to say that I have too few participants in the pizza raffle right now, so if you're on the fence, you really should give it a shot.

I also wanted to apologize if I was a little too grumpy in stream chat tonight, I've had a long day and I hope I didn't dampen anyone's enjoyment of the stream.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

Monster House

and...

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

We'll also be announcing the winner of the...

Be there!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 10, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I haven't actually seen Tucker & Dale vs Evil, but it came highly recommended. I however did see Monster House in the theater and loved it. If you like Monster Squad or The Goonies or even Fright Night, that movie is for you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Live in 9!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving, everybody! Beginning at 8:30, tonight's features are...

Let The Right One In

and...

The Cabin In The Woods

Don't miss it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You better not bail on us again tonight. :mad:

• Locked thread