Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
My take is waaaay more budget because gently caress buying fetches and double-gently caress buying Jace:

4 Thopter Spy Network
4 Hedron Archive
4 Hangarback Walker
1 Ghostfire Blade
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

4 Anticipate
3 Scatter to the Winds
2 Horribly Awry
1 Clash of Wills
1 Brutal Expulsion

3 Planar Outburst
2 Exquisite Firecraft
1 Wild Slash
1 Fiery Impulse
1 Valorous Stance
1 Stasis Snare

4 Mystic Monastery
3 Shivan Reef
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Swiftwater Cliffs
1 Wind-Scarred Crag
3 Prairie Stream
1 Blighted Cataract
1 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
4 Island
3 Mountain
3 Plains

SIDEBOARD
2 Radiant Flames
1 Horribly Awry
1 Clash of Wills
1 Dispel
2 Negate
1 Wild Slash
2 Fiery Impulse
2 Quarantine Field
2 Valorous Stance
1 Silkwrap

Yes it's super janky. Add better cards wherever you can. However, I've hit at least top 8 with it at FNM every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm a filthy casual but I've pulled two Gideons in like the past week, given that I have a shitload of Zendikar* and a fair amount of other crap that's still in Standard is there a deck I should try to work towards? I'm looking to try FNM for the first time and don't want to bring my usual weak stuff.

*My buddy that's really into MtG has disliked the set so far but I keep buying it because I think most of the Eldrazi art is rad as hell, that's how casual I am.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=10970&d=262434&f=ST

Make some budget substitutions on the land base and this deck would cost you next to nothing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=10970&d=262434&f=ST

Make some budget substitutions on the land base and this deck would cost you next to nothing

Or, just buy the fetches, they're good forever

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
A friend of mine and I were working on this.

https://deckbox.org/sets/1270963

Any suggestions?

It's for a gimmicky modern deck at FNM.

Aronodachi
Mar 27, 2010
Butcher of the Horde and the Abzan Acendancies
http://deckstats.net/decks/7618/362167-redzan-aristocrats/en

//Creatures
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Sultai Emissary
4 Zulaport Cutthroat
4 Hangarback Walker
2 Nantuko Husk
4 Catacomb Sifter
2 Smothering Abomination
4 Butcher of the Horde

//Enchantments
3 Abzan Ascendancy
1 Evolutionary Leap

//Spells
3 Abzan Charm
1 Crackling Doom
1 Murderous Cut

//Lands
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Windswept Heath
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Smoldering Marsh
2 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Caves of Koilos
4 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Forest
1 Plains

SB so far:
4 Radiant Flames
4 Rending Volley
4 Dromoka's Command

Been having an absolute blast playing this at FNM. Abzan Ascendancy is nuts anytime you have more than 1 creatures on the field and is especially dumb with Hangarbacks, Emissaries and recurring Bloodsoaks. Butcher is the best sac outlet since he ends the game on his own pretty quickly. Lots of ideas for this thing: Collected Company, Grim Haruspex, Painful Truths, Rally, Ob Nix? Maybe cut removal for some of that stuff? Could probably cut Smothering Abomination too. Also no idea how to sideboard. Might just add more cards that kill Anafenza. She is the worst.

Also someone mentioned to me that this might be a decent modern deck. Is there anything especially rad that would make this more modern-worthy?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Mardu+Abzan should be Marzipan. :colbert:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

AlternateNu posted:

Reposting because I still love this deck:

4 Hangarback Walker
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Thopter Engineer

1 Pyromancer's Goggles
4 Hedron Archive

1 Brutal Expulsion
2 Duress
3 Fiery Impulse
1 Kolaghan's Command
1 Murderous Cut
1 Roast
2 Ruinous Path
1 Ultimate Price

1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
4 Thopter Spy Network

4 Bloodstained Mire
5 Island
3 Mountain
4 Polluted Delta
3 Smoldering Marsh
3 Sunken Hollow
2 Swamp

Sideboard:
2 Disdainful Stroke
1 Dispel
2 Duress
2 Negate
2 Radiant Flames
1 Rending Volley
1 Roast
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
1 Ultimate Price

I still have this deck saved in my GMail because I"m a whore for Thopters and I want to play this deck so badly at FNM but...........Jace

I have the rest of it

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Balon posted:

Why brew when the mana base allows for everyone to just play "GoodStuff.dec"?

Seriously, if Abzan Midrange wasn't good enough before now you can accommodate ALL THE COLORS. Jeskai was getting weak on its own? Throw in another color! Want to play blue in any deck? Hope you can afford Jaces!

Once fetches rotate things will be more reasonable. If the 'Waste' lands spoiler were real we could see some actually dynamic deck choices come up.

Seriously, who thought fetches + fetchable duals in Standard was a good idea? You can't even do all the cool stuff with it. I was excited about a 5 color deck that ran Mantis Rider, Rhino, Woodland Wanderer, and a Bring to Light tutor package. Turns out that no matter how many great creatures you play, they always have enough removal due to Den Protector and Jace.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I still have this deck saved in my GMail because I"m a whore for Thopters and I want to play this deck so badly at FNM but...........Jace

I have the rest of it
Same here. Almost wanna drop the Jace for Husk and Whirler Rogue, but I don't know how viable that would be.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Aronodachi posted:

Butcher of the Horde and the Abzan Acendancies
http://deckstats.net/decks/7618/362167-redzan-aristocrats/en

//Creatures
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Sultai Emissary
4 Zulaport Cutthroat
4 Hangarback Walker
2 Nantuko Husk
4 Catacomb Sifter
2 Smothering Abomination
4 Butcher of the Horde

//Enchantments
3 Abzan Ascendancy
1 Evolutionary Leap

//Spells
3 Abzan Charm
1 Crackling Doom
1 Murderous Cut

//Lands
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Windswept Heath
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Smoldering Marsh
2 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Caves of Koilos
4 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Forest
1 Plains

SB so far:
4 Radiant Flames
4 Rending Volley
4 Dromoka's Command

Been having an absolute blast playing this at FNM. Abzan Ascendancy is nuts anytime you have more than 1 creatures on the field and is especially dumb with Hangarbacks, Emissaries and recurring Bloodsoaks. Butcher is the best sac outlet since he ends the game on his own pretty quickly. Lots of ideas for this thing: Collected Company, Grim Haruspex, Painful Truths, Rally, Ob Nix? Maybe cut removal for some of that stuff? Could probably cut Smothering Abomination too. Also no idea how to sideboard. Might just add more cards that kill Anafenza. She is the worst.

Smothering is a semi crackling doom on a body, so its not the worst. Having played against your deck variant before, I would attempt to work in some Haruspex and maybe 2 Rally just in case?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

I have the rest of it

Play mine instead! It's designed specifically to not need Jace to keep up on card advantage

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Yawgmoth posted:

Mardu+Abzan should be Marzipan. :colbert:

That is a very good name.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

stinkles1112 posted:

Play mine instead! It's designed specifically to not need Jace to keep up on card advantage

Haha, if you think I didn't copy and paste your list into my G-Mail to try later after you posted it you're dead wrong!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kizudarake posted:

A friend of mine and I were working on this.

https://deckbox.org/sets/1270963

Any suggestions?

It's for a gimmicky modern deck at FNM.

I'm not sure which gimmick you're going for here. On the one hand you have Rule of Law effects + Isochron + permission instants to lock people down, but you aren't running four Isochrons and this road doesn't really have a wincon other than "get an Elixir activation and hope they don't have a graveyard shuffle effect". On the other hand you have a small stable of hatebears but it's not a particularly strong one, and I have no idea why you're running Restos without any ETB effects to trigger (and it's a double no-no with Hushwing Gryff). On the third hand you have Worship and Near-Death Experience?

I feel like the deck can't decide if it wants to be a creature-based hatebears deck or a W/Wu prison deck, so it tries to do both but can't even hit halfway on each side. I've seen a few Modern enchantment prison decks that lock people down with Suppression Field, Leyline, Ghostly Prison etc. and win with Sigil of the Empty Throne, I've always been tempted to try a list like that. Maybe you could lean more in that direction with a secondary focus on the Rule of Law + Isochron package? You could even sprinkle in some hatebear-esque enchantment creatures like Eidolon of Rhetoric or Aegis of the Gods to fuel Sigil?

How have games gone with the deck in its current form?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm not sure which gimmick you're going for here. On the one hand you have Rule of Law effects + Isochron + permission instants to lock people down, but you aren't running four Isochrons and this road doesn't really have a wincon other than "get an Elixir activation and hope they don't have a graveyard shuffle effect". On the other hand you have a small stable of hatebears but it's not a particularly strong one, and I have no idea why you're running Restos without any ETB effects to trigger (and it's a double no-no with Hushwing Gryff). On the third hand you have Worship and Near-Death Experience?

I feel like the deck can't decide if it wants to be a creature-based hatebears deck or a W/Wu prison deck, so it tries to do both but can't even hit halfway on each side. I've seen a few Modern enchantment prison decks that lock people down with Suppression Field, Leyline, Ghostly Prison etc. and win with Sigil of the Empty Throne, I've always been tempted to try a list like that. Maybe you could lean more in that direction with a secondary focus on the Rule of Law + Isochron package? You could even sprinkle in some hatebear-esque enchantment creatures like Eidolon of Rhetoric or Aegis of the Gods to fuel Sigil?

How have games gone with the deck in its current form?

We literally just brainstormed it Monday, and I pulled the cards for it right before I came to work tonight. The Angels and the Griffs were literally just put in because of the flash effect working with worship, so we could board wipe late game with supreme verdict on our turn with rule of law out, and flash in a dude in response to them trying to cast a killing burn spell as their one spell on their turn, as well as having flyers.

We were trying to put something together out of cards that I had on hand(which is why the 3 isochron scepters) and that I wouldn't have to strip from decks I currently have built.

I have 6 or 7 leylines, but they're divided between boggles and amulet combo, and I have 3 suppression fields, but they're main decked in boggles.

It mostly sprang from a desire to create an annoying-rear end deck to win game 1 to opponent scooping and dick around for the rest of the round for game 2, and to use my flooded strands, since they were my only fetches not currently in a deck so far. Our thought was:

Rule of law and eidolon of rhetoric to lock everyone down to 1 spell a turn.

Isochron scepter+remand to block their one spell a turn on my turn.

Isochron scepter+dawn charm to make it hard for them to do combat damage or burn me or make me sac enchantments/creatures on their turn.

Griffs, and mindcensors to annoy the poo poo out of them and grind them down in the air after flashing them in in response to library search effects(mindcensors) or in response to their splinter twin/restoration angel activation(Griffs)

Near-death experience as a possible win-con.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I really don't anticipate a singleton Experience winning you any games, even if you have Worship to keep your life total at 1. I'd drop that for another Rule of Law or another lockdown card since it sounds that path is what you're more interested in.

Speaking of UW lockdown decks, I re-visited a concept I came up with earlier this year, and thanks to a key contribution from Origins I'm sorely tempted to buy the last few cards that I need in order to finish it-
Deck: UW Turbofog

//Lands
1 Adarkar Wastes
4 Flooded Strand
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Island
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
8 Plains
2 Seachrome Coast

//Spells
4 Dawn Charm
2 Dictate of Kruphix
1 Elixir of Immortality
4 Ethereal Haze
4 Howling Mine
3 Isochron Scepter
1 Jace Beleren
3 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Pollen Lullaby
3 Riot Control
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
4 Temple Bell

//Sideboard
2 Disenchant
1 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Path to Exile
3 Rest in Peace
3 Spell Pierce

Display deck statistics

Tutelage was a great addition for this deck since you're getting multiple draw triggers a turn. The deck also really needed another library-eating effect at 3 mana or less, and it's easier to cast than Dictate and OG Jace. It's still very vulnerable to decks that don't win through combat, but I'm hoping that the maindeck Leylines can help against the likes of Burn and Grapeshot Storm, and I expect that Dawn Charm and Riot Control would also do work in those matchups. A resolved planeswalker is also a bummer. Thoughts? Maybe worth running a single Tormod's Crypt in the maindeck to counteract Eldrazi graveyard triggers?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 5, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

C-Euro posted:

It's still very vulnerable to decks that don't win through combat, but I'm hoping that the maindeck Leylines can help against the likes of Burn and Grapeshot Storm, and I expect that Dawn Charm and Riot Control would also do work in those matchups. Thoughts? Maybe worth running a single Tormod's Crypt in the maindeck to counteract Eldrazi graveyard triggers?

Something to remove Eldrazi/graveyards in general is probably an alright idea.

Your basically right about maindeck Leylines cover most of the worst stuff. And if you don't get one of those in your opener, you have Dawn Charm to counter Burn and Riot Control to counter Storm, and also Burn somewhat. The matches still aren't pretty, but you aren't going to fold completely to them.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
So for all you nay-sayers and giver-uppers that think this standard sucks for brewing, I went 5-0 at FNM with this pile, dropping a total of one game:

4x Disowned Ancestor
4x Archers' Parapet
4x Fortified Rampart
2x Guardians of Meletis
4x Siege Rhino

4x Abzan Charm
1x Foul Renewal
3x Grim Contest
2x Kin-Tree Invocation

1x Ob Nixilis Reignited
2x Painful Truths

4x Assault Formation
1x Sight of the Scalelords

3x Canopy Vista
1x Shambling Vent
1x Caves of Koilos
4x Sandsteppe Citadel
3x Llanowar Wastes
2x Evolving Wilds
4x Swamp
1x Plains
5x Forest

As with the last thing I posted here, my mana base is a little janky because I'm not willing to buy into fetchlands so there's a lot of potential for improvement there.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

stinkles1112 posted:

So for all you nay-sayers and giver-uppers that think this standard sucks for brewing, I went 5-0 at FNM with this pile, dropping a total of one game:

4x Disowned Ancestor
4x Archers' Parapet
4x Fortified Rampart
2x Guardians of Meletis
4x Siege Rhino

4x Abzan Charm
1x Foul Renewal
3x Grim Contest
2x Kin-Tree Invocation

1x Ob Nixilis Reignited
2x Painful Truths

4x Assault Formation
1x Sight of the Scalelords

3x Canopy Vista
1x Shambling Vent
1x Caves of Koilos
4x Sandsteppe Citadel
3x Llanowar Wastes
2x Evolving Wilds
4x Swamp
1x Plains
5x Forest

As with the last thing I posted here, my mana base is a little janky because I'm not willing to buy into fetchlands so there's a lot of potential for improvement there.

This is a really cool idea. If you did want to take it further what would you change about it?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I really don't anticipate a singleton Experience winning you any games, even if you have Worship to keep your life total at 1. I'd drop that for another Rule of Law or another lockdown card since it sounds that path is what you're more interested in.

Speaking of UW lockdown decks, I re-visited a concept I came up with earlier this year, and thanks to a key contribution from Origins I'm sorely tempted to buy the last few cards that I need in order to finish it-

Near-death experience was exactly the right card. It won half the games I played with it, and 2/3rds the games my co-conspirator ran with it.

Well, it and my elixirs of immortality won one of those games. One guy killed it, and started smirking, and I played and cracked an elixir of immortality, and he scooped.

Your lockdown deck looked great, and I'm tempted to strip the leylines from boggles sideboard and buy more suppression fields and paths to be able to run it without killing my other non-lockdown decks.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 7, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Quote isn't edit.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

stinkles1112 posted:

I actually build this last night. My manabase is a little more solid as I own Fetches and Manlands. I'll report how my FNM trip goes this weekend

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'd like some initial thoughts on this first draft of a Modern Aristocrats deck. I wanted to go back to it now we have Zulaport Cutthroat, since one of my ideas was using human tribal for Champion of the Parish and to improve Falkenrath Aristocrat.

Deck: Modern Mardu Aristocrats

//Creatures
4 Zulaport Cutthroat
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 Cartel Aristocrat
3 Dark Confidant
4 Bloodghast
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Champion of the Parish
1 Teysa, Orzhov Scion

//Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lingering Souls

//Land
4 Marsh Flats
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Flooded Strand
4 Godless Shrine
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Blood Crypt
2 Plains
2 Swamp
1 Mountain

//Sideboard
2 Boros Charm
2 Crackling Doom
2 Kolaghan's Command
2 Stony Silence
1 Xathrid Necromancer
1 Mogg War Marshal
1 Zealous Persecution
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Doomed Traveler

Display deck statistics

I stuck some cards I want to consider in the sideboard. I like the shenanigans I can get up to with Bloodsoaked Championed and Falkenrath Aristocrat, but maybe I should just focus on getting as many creatures as I can for my mana, like Doomed Traveler and Mogg War Marshal, maybe Rabblemaster?

I quite like the idea of a synergistic deck with human tribal, so maybe Xathrid Necromancer could push out the Bloodghasts? Perhaps either take Liliana, Heretical Healer over OTV for human typing and lifelink, which I think I might want early some games.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Why not run blood artists as well?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

In place of what? As it stands I don't think I need more of that effect until I can do some testing.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's some videos of a WB version that has 7 Blood Artists:
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=12911&writer=Frank+Lepore

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

I actually build this last night. My manabase is a little more solid as I own Fetches and Manlands. I'll report how my FNM trip goes this weekend

Good luck! Make sure you're careful with clock management, a significant portion of my losses have been from losing game one and then timing out, especially against other grindy decks. If your meta has a bunch of Dromoka's Commands running around, switch the Valorous Stance for another Silkwrap so they can't ice your Spy Networks as easily.

Alris posted:

This is a really cool idea. If you did want to take it further what would you change about it?

The main thing I'm working on is the sideboard, really I just need to play more games with it. Plummet has a place, and probably Complete Disregard, Self-Inflicted Wound and probably Display of Dominance. In the main, I'm considering the second Foul Renewal in place of one of the Grim Contests or Guardians of Meletis, Renewal has been super hot. Getting back a Siege Rhino and killing something is often the difference between winning and losing. Second Ob Nixilis would go right in too, the only reason it's not already is because I've only got one.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Boco_T posted:

Here's some videos of a WB version that has 7 Blood Artists:
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=12911&writer=Frank+Lepore

I really dig that! Still need to watch half of the videos but it seems to work well. My list doesn't use much red in the main, but I have been thinking I really want Kolaghan's Command and/or Crackling Doom. Boros Charm is also good, but maybe less so if I'm not looking to alpha with Falkenrath Aristocrat. Lepore makes some good suggestions for changes too.

I might also try a fun-off Blade of the Bloodchief.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, theorycrafting. Why do you think no one has tried to build a standard Grixis Devoid deck? (Or if you've seen examples, why they haven't gotten anywhere?) What is it about the power level of the available cards (I'm thinking Ruination Guide, Herald of Kozilek, and Wasteland Strangler specifically) that prevents them from being competitive?

Forerunner of Slaughter and Fathom Feeder and Hangarback are excellent two drops in the current meta depending on your strategy, and if worse comes to worse, you can still toss Jace in there just for the value. Plus, the shard manabases are probably the most consistent for 3+ color decks right now.

Dominator Drone gives you lategame reach along with a body. Sludge Crawler gives you early game beats and ingest since no one is going to block it (or Fathom Feeder) with their Jace or Abbot/Zurgo unless they have a trick. Vile Aggregate is a 3 drop that can wall Siege Rhino. I think there's a lot there.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 10, 2015

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

here is a Smothering Abomb sacrifice deck ive been running. Goal is to keep everything off the board with redundant threat removal and graveyard recursion.I want to try Husk but im not sure i need it. I started with Vampiric rights and a single copy of Shadows of the past but took them out. will probably test them again. Deck wins by Zulaports and attacking once everything is gone, sometimes in addition to Palace Seige Dragon Mode. I dream of a top end of ullamog as well. Hangarbacks instead of carrier thralls would be nice too i think.

Anyways, any info always welcome.

4 Sunken Hollow
4 Opulent Palace
1 Mortuary Mire
7 Swamp
2 Yavimaya Coast
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Lumbering Falls
1 Forest

2 Clash of Wills
4 Carrier Thrall
4 Zulaport Cutthroat
4 Grim Haruspex
3 Fleshbag Marauder
3 Merciless Executioner
4 Dutiful Attendant
3 From Beyond
1 Altar's Reap
4 Smothering Abomination
2 Palace Siege
1 Infinite Obliteration

3 Infinite Obliteration
3 Negate
3 Ulamog's Nullifier
3 Rising Miasma
1 Clash of Wills
2 Dispel

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
B/u aristocrats is still the best deck in standard right now, or at least the most fun to play. T4 combo out just feels so good when you're in standard. I hope doom blade gets reprinted in Oath, and bloodthrone vampire.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

stinkles1112 posted:

The main thing I'm working on is the sideboard, really I just need to play more games with it. Plummet has a place, and probably Complete Disregard, Self-Inflicted Wound and probably Display of Dominance. In the main, I'm considering the second Foul Renewal in place of one of the Grim Contests or Guardians of Meletis, Renewal has been super hot. Getting back a Siege Rhino and killing something is often the difference between winning and losing. Second Ob Nixilis would go right in too, the only reason it's not already is because I've only got one.

I gave it a shot at FNM tonight, it went pretty well. I removed the Guardians of Meletis and put in an Ob, Foul Renewal (which did work) and Dragonlord Dromoka, with Plummets, Languishes and Hallowed Moonlights in the sideboard, and made a couple changes to the manabase.. Languish was amazing given the high toughness you have on your side, but flyers in general are a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Overall its a very fun deck, A+ would swing with Walls again.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Alris posted:

I gave it a shot at FNM tonight, it went pretty well. I removed the Guardians of Meletis and put in an Ob, Foul Renewal (which did work) and Dragonlord Dromoka, with Plummets, Languishes and Hallowed Moonlights in the sideboard, and made a couple changes to the manabase.. Languish was amazing given the high toughness you have on your side, but flyers in general are a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Overall its a very fun deck, A+ would swing with Walls again.

What did you do to the manabase? (or the whole modified decklist?)

If the Thopters don't work for me tonight I was gonna give this a shot

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

What did you do to the manabase? (or the whole modified decklist?)

If the Thopters don't work for me tonight I was gonna give this a shot

http://deckstats.net/decks/6945/377084-abzan-assault-formation

Here's what I ended up going with. The sideboard is a little cleaned up, too.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Alris posted:

http://deckstats.net/decks/6945/377084-abzan-assault-formation

Here's what I ended up going with. The sideboard is a little cleaned up, too.

Dromoka is tits, it really helps with softening the cost of Painful Truths/Abzan Charm. Good inclusion.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AlternateNu posted:

So, theorycrafting. Why do you think no one has tried to build a standard Grixis Devoid deck? (Or if you've seen examples, why they haven't gotten anywhere?) What is it about the power level of the available cards (I'm thinking Ruination Guide, Herald of Kozilek, and Wasteland Strangler specifically) that prevents them from being competitive?

Forerunner of Slaughter and Fathom Feeder and Hangarback are excellent two drops in the current meta depending on your strategy, and if worse comes to worse, you can still toss Jace in there just for the value. Plus, the shard manabases are probably the most consistent for 3+ color decks right now.

Dominator Drone gives you lategame reach along with a body. Sludge Crawler gives you early game beats and ingest since no one is going to block it (or Fathom Feeder) with their Jace or Abbot/Zurgo unless they have a trick. Vile Aggregate is a 3 drop that can wall Siege Rhino. I think there's a lot there.

I built and played against the Ghostfire Blade version of Eldrazi Aggro and the issue I saw it run into was that it really got stymied by things as simple as your opponent playing creatures and blocking with them. You don't have many ways to get damage through ground blocks (pretty much just Dominator Drone's ETB and trample on Aggregate, and Aggregate needs some things to be going right to be doing much trampling) and the poor toughness on most of the beatdown creatures makes it pretty easy for the opposing player to find unfavorable trades for you when it's time for them to block. The deck doesn't have any stamina in terms of card draw or graveyard replays (or toolbox do-everything cards like Abzan Charm), so if an opponent can slow you down or just one-for-one you without dying they can probably run you out of steam.

The BFZ centric decks will probably look better after the rest of the block gets printed and some of the stupidly efficient Abzan stuff from Khans rotates out.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
Is anyone out there having success running Jace-less Esper Dragons?

I love the deck but I had to opportunity to trade 4 Jaces for 3 Cavern of Soulsm 4 Voice of resurgence, and 4 DRS and don't really feel like getting back on the Jace Train.

Looking for Ideas. Maybe run more discard?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Voyager I posted:

I built and played against the Ghostfire Blade version of Eldrazi Aggro and the issue I saw it run into was that it really got stymied by things as simple as your opponent playing creatures and blocking with them. You don't have many ways to get damage through ground blocks (pretty much just Dominator Drone's ETB and trample on Aggregate, and Aggregate needs some things to be going right to be doing much trampling) and the poor toughness on most of the beatdown creatures makes it pretty easy for the opposing player to find unfavorable trades for you when it's time for them to block. The deck doesn't have any stamina in terms of card draw or graveyard replays (or toolbox do-everything cards like Abzan Charm), so if an opponent can slow you down or just one-for-one you without dying they can probably run you out of steam.

The BFZ centric decks will probably look better after the rest of the block gets printed and some of the stupidly efficient Abzan stuff from Khans rotates out.

Did you try Grixis or U/R, or was it just R/B devoid aggro? Because cards like Painful Truths and Dig Through Time are just as available to Eldrazi decks as non-devoid decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

notbrant posted:

Is anyone out there having success running Jace-less Esper Dragons?

I love the deck but I had to opportunity to trade 4 Jaces for 3 Cavern of Soulsm 4 Voice of resurgence, and 4 DRS and don't really feel like getting back on the Jace Train.

Looking for Ideas. Maybe run more discard?

Despise and removal are my first thoughts. 4 more slots to deal with the Jace Menace is pretty useful. Despise is average but it could be worth a slot.

Another choice is Soulfire for spell buyback, Arashin Cleric to preboard vs Atarka.

• Locked thread