Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Image21
Feb 15, 2012
Rafters aren't body friendly apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

After so many games being forgiving about body dumps, it feels odd to need to care about it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I should fire the game up and see how many bodies can fit in a single dumpster.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dareon posted:

I should fire the game up and see how many bodies can fit in a single dumpster.

Five. Six if you don't care about closing it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Orv posted:

Five. Six if you don't care about closing it.

The fact that you know this makes me incredibly excited for your part of this LP.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
In my experience they despawn well before I can get more than two in there.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You have to keep them all in range of the game caring about things near you, so it's basically a really horrifying relay race.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Also gotta make sure there are no rats around. Fuckers are fast.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's always amused me that unconscious bodies are way safer in a dumpster than they are in the street because of rats.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Coolguye posted:

It's always amused me that unconscious bodies are way safer in a dumpster than they are in the street because of rats.

Well yeah, when the vermin can shred a corpse in seconds, having a decently thick metal sheet between you and them is going to up your survival chances a hell of a lot.

Sure, you might get like, tetanus or something from the rusted metal bin you jumped into. But at least you didn't get eaten alive.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Anyone who has been even 10 miles from a real ghetto knows that rats 1) do not give even the beginning of a poo poo about dumpsters and will climb or claw their way in if they think food is in there and 2) are way more likely to be there in the first place since they're fans of cramped areas with a lot of random detritus for warmth and cover.

Really if you throw a body into a dumpster, you should just see this massive explosion of blood and the faint sound of a squeaky buzz saw as the filthy rodent fucks that are in there lose their minds at the prospect of a free meal.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Counterpoint: These are crazy piranha rats that squeaky buzzsaw whatever they get their mitts on and Dunwall's Dumpsters are remarkably clean. Conclusion: they've already moved on from dumpsters so much they've adapted to a nomadic pack style of living.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I've had pet rats for a long time and they legit have some telekinetic powers. Don't leave stuff closer than half a meter from the cage or they'll find a way to grab it, somehow.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zomborgon posted:

I always figured that was the handwave explanation; basically, the items you get save you the cost that it would take Piero to get the item, and thus a penny saved is a penny earned, etc. etc. I never heard of anything different, and it's much better this way IMO.

Oh, I absoulutely agree, just making everything straight cash upgrades (with a few special items requiring blueprints) take a lot of headache out of it.

Also the levels in this game are full of a ridiculous amount of extra cash, way more than you are ever intended to find in a single run. I've never gotten more than, like, half of the gold in a level.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Anyone who has been even 10 miles from a real ghetto knows that rats 1) do not give even the beginning of a poo poo about dumpsters and will climb or claw their way in if they think food is in there and 2) are way more likely to be there in the first place since they're fans of cramped areas with a lot of random detritus for warmth and cover.

Really if you throw a body into a dumpster, you should just see this massive explosion of blood and the faint sound of a squeaky buzz saw as the filthy rodent fucks that are in there lose their minds at the prospect of a free meal.

Modders, get the gently caress on this right now!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kill the High Overseer (part 1, High Chaos): Youtube Polsy

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Huh, it looks like the game has duplicate logs scattered around. I wonder what the intent behind that was, or if some logs are just random picks from a set or something?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Huh, it looks like the game has duplicate logs scattered around. I wonder what the intent behind that was, or if some logs are just random picks from a set or something?

It depends, sometimes they're documents meant to be read by multiple people or copies of the same book lying around.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
If it's any consolation Coolguye, the killing freaks me the gently caress out too.

As does the detection sound.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

Of course I’ll tell you, dearie. I won’t keep any secrets from you in the end. All the dreary days of my life are like the windows of a house. From the kitchen, I can see out into the garden where the leaves and stalks are brown and bug-eaten. You can see a little lump of dirt where something was wrapped in a blanket and laid to rest along the rows of twisting vines.

The front room looks out into the street, where the neighbors are all setting fire to their homes, barricading themselves inside. Warm and snug, dearie.

Don’t forget about the bedroom, either. It sees into a dreary alley, where hooligans are playing a game with an old man. The first two are hitting him with sticks and the girl with them is kicking at his dry, old ribs. Oh, to have those bones, to boil them in a pot.
Yup, she's scary alright. :stare:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Granny Rags is a sweet old lady, you hooligans

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention the best character in the game. Not that much of an achievement but still. Oh, and they actually got a pretty famous actress to voice her.
edit: Actually there's a lot of screen actors as opposed to VA in the cast. Interesting.

Oh, and one more thing: the detection system is really good. The slow detection on the corpsedumping guy is caused by the fact they only have their face turned towards you half the time - when they lift the bodies.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 7, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Coolguye posted:

You don't need to have set foot in the city to know that. Rats can and happily will chew through steel and concrete to get into grain storage on farms, the industrious little bastards.

Basically, if a rat wants to get at something, there are precious few options to keep them away from it, and they mostly involve killing it before it can get there.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Crane Fist posted:

Granny Rags is a sweet old lady, you hooligans

anilEhilated posted:

Not to mention the best character in the game.

It always feels like you're just brushing past something larger and more terrible whenever you deal with Granny Rags. Like you just brushed a stray cobweb out of your face, which in reality was a tiny piece of a gigantic web with a similarly horrible spider lurking at its center. It notices you, but it chooses not to devour you for the moment.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I bought Dishonored at full price yet never finished it. I savescummed at every corner which just completely ruined the experience. I haven't played a stealth game since, though I mostly play cutthroat rogues in RPGs.

Inspired by RoboKy, I think I'm going to dust off this game and do a high chaos run without ever loading the game when poo poo comes crumbling down. Just embrace the bodycount. Become a ratlord :unsmigghh:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, Coolguye and Roboky, once you're done with Dishonored, are you going to do Transformers: Devastation?

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Trogdos! posted:

I bought Dishonored at full price yet never finished it. I savescummed at every corner which just completely ruined the experience. I haven't played a stealth game since, though I mostly play cutthroat rogues in RPGs.

Inspired by RoboKy, I think I'm going to dust off this game and do a high chaos run without ever loading the game when poo poo comes crumbling down. Just embrace the bodycount. Become a ratlord :unsmigghh:

This is honestly the best approach to playing Dishonored for the first time. I think Dishonored broke my habit of savescumming in most games, cause it was just not fun having to restart over and over.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

We have a few pretty great ideas for the next game. Devastation currently isn't one of them but I haven't had a chance to crack at it yet. So maybe!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Llab posted:

This is honestly the best approach to playing Dishonored for the first time. I think Dishonored broke my habit of savescumming in most games, cause it was just not fun having to restart over and over.
It actually works even for experienced players - Dishonored Iron Man mode is great: you basically almost always have options since the game is pretty easy, but the tension is there.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CommissarMega posted:

So, Coolguye and Roboky, once you're done with Dishonored, are you going to do Transformers: Devastation?

Coolguye posted:

We have a few pretty great ideas for the next game. Devastation currently isn't one of them but I haven't had a chance to crack at it yet. So maybe!

Suffice to say I have played and beaten the normal mode of Devastation in one sitting because I was enjoying it so much. It's such a small game in terms of "from start to finish," to do just a single run of it would be incredibly easy to show off and we could easily do it as a "between projects" thing. I almost want to say that Coolguye should avoid ever seeing anything about it so I can just listen to the glee in his voice with every sequence the game throws at us, because the world has already been robbed of hearing my first-time reactions as it is.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

That's a thing that can happen. :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gotta say, I'm deeply curious how you're going to off Campbell, since there are so many options. I mean, that's true for everyone in Dishonored, but especially Campbell.

My favorite method takes enough set-up that I'm not sure it'll come into play, but really, they're all fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Games like this are at their best when they present you with a huge possibility space for completing your objective. These designers knew their stuff.

There's a lot of variables in what can happen with Campbell. I won't go into it until we're past that spot.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

chiasaur11 posted:

Gotta say, I'm deeply curious how you're going to off Campbell, since there are so many options. I mean, that's true for everyone in Dishonored, but especially Campbell.

My favorite method takes enough set-up that I'm not sure it'll come into play, but really, they're all fun.

Any playthrough I've done, he lives.

He hates me more for it, but I make damned sure he lives.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Any playthrough I've done, he lives.

He hates me more for it, but I make damned sure he lives.

Hell, the nonlethal solutions are often way crueler.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Speedball posted:

Hell, the nonlethal solutions are often way crueler.

I'm trying to think of a situation where they aren't and I'm drawing a blank. One or two in particular are weapons-grade cruelty, and one in particular...

But, as always, we'll get there when we get there. The assault on Campbell is one I'm looking forward to though, especially the non-lethal run one. The number of ways you can gently caress with him is glorious.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The best part of all these maps is just how vertical and open they are. 99% of the time, if you see a ledge you can walk on it. Like those scaffolds above Granny Rags' home. You haven't truly taken care of her gentlemen callers until you've leaped off one of those and aerial assassinated the one knocking on the door.

Incidentally, that's one of the weirder uses of Blink. Finding out just where the devs hid the walls by how far your teleport can reach.

Edit: While I'm thinking of it, one of the cool things leading up to release was that one of the level designers posted in the games thread and answered whatever questions he could. Sadly that fell into the archives.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 9, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hell, you can teleport to the street lamps and just use them as an air road to get to Campbell, I think.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Brainamp posted:

Incidentally, that's one of the weirder uses of Blink. Finding out just where the devs hid the walls by how far your teleport can reach.

My instinct is to go high so I've found a lot of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bruceski posted:

My instinct is to go high so I've found a lot of these.

Same here- I never touch the ground in Dishonored unless I absolutely have to.

• Locked thread