Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I kinda like the low chaos scene with the three overseers on your way back from dealing with the high one. Another detail that really helps with the atmosphere is in the sewers when you escape the prison and run into the recently lived in area with dead people. In a corner you find the bodies of a man and a woman with a mattress, cooking tools and things that makes it clear they've been living there a short time. And Damien's Journal.

quote:

Amanda and I only had enough coin to buy half the elixir we needed. Even that's all gone now, and there's nothing to do but wait. We're very sick and there's no place above to hide from the city watch. They're breaking into houses all over our district. So we'll stay here and share the last hours together. Our fire will keep the rats away, but they'll inherit this city.

-Damien

:smith:

On my latest playthrough I wrapped up a few days ago I somehow got both the Ghost and Shade achievements. Possession is amazingly helpful. After choking a lady and leaving her on a basement floor, which apparently also had a pack of rats, I learned that it doesn't count as you murdering people if they die from environmental hazards so to speak. The box "didn't kill anyone" was still checked after it was over despite the contrary and mildly gruesome evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Personally I kinda like the low chaos scene with the three overseers on your way back from dealing with the high one. Another detail that really helps with the atmosphere is in the sewers when you escape the prison and run into the recently lived in area with dead people. In a corner you find the bodies of a man and a woman with a mattress, cooking tools and things that makes it clear they've been living there a short time. And Damien's Journal.
The worst part? The corpses are locked in an embrace.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Grate overseer though is an amusing example of how binary and direct games are logic wise, I mean I doubt anyone attempted to trigger death for Npc's by colliding with the floor (if Orv's Assassination is true) so no matter the abuse it was never going to kill him and ruin clean hands.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Well the map is covered in gold.

I mean because everyone's clearly pissing everywhere what the gently caress is wrong with you people Dunwall is a big enough dump as it is without you leaking on everything like dogs marking your territory jesus h. outsider.

Well I mean the guards are mocking you, they are really just taking the piss

Coolguye posted:

Roboky's dawning reaction that if I'm there, there must be cash involved was almost as amusing to me as Grate Overseer.

So what you are saying is you secretly switched Corvo and Garret in your play through, like Roboky somehow managed to replace Corvo with a Death Cult assassin for maximum murder.

Orv would be Corvo by way of Dante, maximum style and trying to spend as much time not on the ground as possible

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Corvo "Sticky Fingers" Attano is probably not the best man to leave the restructuring of an empire to.

Poil posted:

On my latest playthrough I wrapped up a few days ago I somehow got both the Ghost and Shade achievements. Possession is amazingly helpful. After choking a lady and leaving her on a basement floor, which apparently also had a pack of rats, I learned that it doesn't count as you murdering people if they die from environmental hazards so to speak. The box "didn't kill anyone" was still checked after it was over despite the contrary and mildly gruesome evidence.

It's kinda finicky. It'll sometimes tick over if someone you've laid down dies after sliding down a ramp. I think the game also spawns rats occasionally to clean up bodies. Only seen it a couple times, and I can't remember if they were dead or unconscious ones.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Here's something neat about the poison: if you swap the glasses and have Campbell poison himself, Curnow will call for help and the guards from the adjacent room will come in - 2 city guards and 1 overseer. The overseer will accuse curnow of poisoning campbell and a fight will start. Usually curnow wins and they then run away.

However, if you kill/ko the overseer before he can accuse curnow (by sneaking into the other room while the two are having their chat), when Campbell dies, Curnow will immediately run to ring an alarm and then run away. I don't know if the other overseers would attack him because they were all dead in my playthrough, but it's nice that the devs thought of that variant.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Grate overseer though is an amusing example of how binary and direct games are logic wise, I mean I doubt anyone attempted to trigger death for Npc's by colliding with the floor (if Orv's Assassination is true) so no matter the abuse it was never going to kill him and ruin clean hands.

That did complete the mission for me. Unconscious entities obey falling damage, the more you know.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Brainamp posted:

Corvo "Sareth" Attano is probably not the best man to leave the restructuring of an empire to.
Fixed that for you. It's not like we haven't seen Coolguye playing like a ravenous drunken kleptomaniac before, after all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I wish Corvo had access to Sareth's Mighty Foot. One of the powers sort of works that way but there's not enough physics fuckery.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I think Stone Cold Curnow and Grate Overseer both deserve a spot in the LP Hall of Fame somewhere.

Like, if I could draw, they'd both have fan art.

At this rate, if I attempt it, they'll both have lovely fanart at best. Assuming I ever get around to it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Orv posted:

That did complete the mission for me. Unconscious entities obey falling damage, the more you know.

Wait what? I didn't see the target killed pop up or did you just cut before that? (or am I blind). I wonder if they use speed or distance for that then (probably distance or grate overseer would have died).

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 5, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Shei-kun posted:

At this rate, if I attempt it, they'll both have lovely fanart at best. Assuming I ever get around to it.
If you wanted something simple a blingee style photoshop of Stone Cold Curnow would get thrown into the update post like immediately.

Beyond that, understand that I couldn't possibly care less how 'good' fan art is. The point is that it is fun, and all our threads are about fun first and foremost. If someone wants to extend their pinky, sip their tea, and say that our supplementary update posts are not crafted to their exacting standards they can rent a thoroughbred horse, hop in a one horse open sleigh, and ride it directly into hell.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Coolguye posted:

Clean Hands run: Kill the High Overseer: Youtube Polsy

I really don't like the conversation between the two Overseers:

:v: "Hey, you know that heretic's brand we almost never use?"
:) "You mean the one mark that can't be reversed, and even the High Overseer has to obey? What about it?"
:v: "Oh, no reason. Just that it'd be pretty bad if one of us were to get branded, and noone'd be able to reverse it ever again."
:) "But that'd never happen!"
:v: "Sure, sure. I just hope noone is listening in to our conversation. I wouldn't want to give anyone ideas."

It's really clunky exposition, especially in a game which to some extent trusts you to explore and make your own entertainment. You can find out about the brand from reading the book in the interrogation room (which you'll have stumbled upon organically in your quest for That drat Sokolov Painting) and by the objective marker. The conversation seems unnecessary.

I love the three very different playstyles you've got going on. The Dishonored combat engine is really solid, and I can't wait for the sequel.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The writing and story in this game are generally pretty bad. Everything else is awesome though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I really don't like the conversation between the two Overseers:

:v: "Hey, you know that heretic's brand we almost never use?"
:) "You mean the one mark that can't be reversed, and even the High Overseer has to obey? What about it?"
:v: "Oh, no reason. Just that it'd be pretty bad if one of us were to get branded, and noone'd be able to reverse it ever again."
:) "But that'd never happen!"
:v: "Sure, sure. I just hope noone is listening in to our conversation. I wouldn't want to give anyone ideas."

It's really clunky exposition, especially in a game which to some extent trusts you to explore and make your own entertainment. You can find out about the brand from reading the book in the interrogation room (which you'll have stumbled upon organically in your quest for That drat Sokolov Painting) and by the objective marker. The conversation seems unnecessary.

I love the three very different playstyles you've got going on. The Dishonored combat engine is really solid, and I can't wait for the sequel.

Yeah... that one is definitely the clunkiest Low Chaos option. Among other things, you would think there would be some kind of record keeping process in place so you know who got branded, when, and why. The other Low Chaos choices are also pretty convoluted, but I think this one is probably the worst.

"Huh, our supreme leader had the mark of a heretic, and like everybody who works here is unconscious."

:downs:"He must have knocked everybody out! Truly the worst heretic."

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I like how the brand itself is conveniently stored lying around on the table in the interrogator's room despite being used so rarely that even hearing about a branded person is rare and notable.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The sad thing is that it was probably added cause most playtesters couldn't find that book, or the interrogation room. The devs talked about it in several interviews how they had to add stuff like that because players just would not explore or couldn't find particular objects without some extremely heavy hinting. One level later on, one of the best one in the game, has this problem acutely.

A surprising amount of stuff in this game was only added at the last minute, like the chaos system.

NGDBSS posted:

Fixed that for you. It's not like we haven't seen Coolguye playing like a ravenous drunken kleptomaniac before, after all.

Sadly Corvo has no feet. He must make do with his sick magic abilities, but every time he does the knowledge that he could be kicking people eats away at him a little more.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

You can find out about the brand from reading the book in the interrogation room (which you'll have stumbled upon organically in your quest for That drat Sokolov Painting) and by the objective marker. The conversation seems unnecessary.
My understanding is that this was originally the way it happened, but some people missed it altogether because they had objective markers which pointed directly at Campbell. So if you go there by anything resembling a direct route (the awnings I climb up during that conversation to grab the Kingsparrow Feathers allow access into the upper floor of the building, for example), you can trigger the Curnow/Campbell sequence completely ignorant of the non-lethal elimination method, which is a bad experience.

I agree with you that this is a pretty stilted conversation to be having. The Overseers likely wouldn't want to talk about that stuff at all - this is effectively the same as one Catholic going up to another and saying "Dude, what do I need to do to get excommunicated around here?" That said, I'm not sure what could've been done to make CERTAIN the player got it. Even if it was a delayed hint, like so:

:) : Dude, drinking joke.
:v: : Man, screw off.
:) : Haha you were drunk
:v: : Dude you better stfu before I get the brand out
:) : The what now
:v: : Oh you didn't learn about that yet? Yeah okay so --

Then you still leave the potential of the player jumping down and engaging the Overseers (or just bumbling and getting spotted) before they got to the relevant point.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Coolguye posted:

Then you still leave the potential of the player jumping down and engaging the Overseers (or just bumbling and getting spotted) before they got to the relevant point.

I can definitely see your point but, on the other hand, if someone's going to just plow into a group of enemies, they're probably not that interested in finding the non-lethal options either.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Just have the player work for the nonlethal options. It's kind of the whole point of the easy but evil vs difficult but good morality system they built the game on.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Among other things, you would think there would be some kind of record keeping process in place so you know who got branded, when, and why. The other Low Chaos choices are also pretty convoluted, but I think this one is probably the worst.

"Huh, our supreme leader had the mark of a heretic, and like everybody who works here is unconscious."

:downs:"He must have knocked everybody out! Truly the worst heretic."

I thought the implication was that his "Black Book" had a bunch of blackmail on various high-ranking overseers, including Martin, and that when he got branded they all basically shrugged at each other and rolled with it to get him off their backs.

double nine posted:

Just have the player work for the nonlethal options. It's kind of the whole point of the easy but evil vs difficult but good morality system they built the game on.
I'd be hesitant to call the non-lethal options the "Good" method

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

double nine posted:

They didn't build the game on it though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The devs could have had Sam say something about the brand, like

Samuel posted:

Hey Corvo, maybe Campbell could be neutralized some other way. Now, I'm just a humble boat captain, but seems to me his devotion could be his downfall. I heard a drunk sailor say something about a brand that the Overseers use for especially naughty boys. It's probably just a rumour, but look into it. Taffed if I know, I'm going to go drink all this wine. Peace!

I'm not rejecting their choice to have dialogue about the brand, because you need to tell people somehow. However, giving the monologue to Samuel is more convenient, since you're in cutscene and cannot interrupt what he's saying. He's talking about the level anyway, mentioning both the wall of light and Granny Rags, so it'd be simple to add some little thing about the brand in there.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

E: Doublepost!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The devs could have had Sam say something about the brand, like

I'm not rejecting their choice to have dialogue about the brand, because you need to tell people somehow. However, giving the monologue to Samuel is more convenient, since you're in cutscene and cannot interrupt what he's saying. He's talking about the level anyway, mentioning both the wall of light and Granny Rags, so it'd be simple to add some little thing about the brand in there.

That would also be thematically appropriate, given the role he plays in other parts of the story.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It also would've given Sammy Boy a chance to giggle to himself upon your return to the Hound Pits if you actually did it that way so yeah I like that.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 5, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

warhammer651 posted:

Yeah... They're really just non-lethal options. The chaos system does good or evil in my opinion, do you murder everyone who happens to get in your way or do you work around and spare them? You're still an assassin and end them whether you chose to make him poison himself, stab him or brand him so he'll be cast out on the street as a beggar and likely die of the plague.

High and low chaos is completely separate from lethal or non-lethal of terminating the target. You'll still be low chaos if you stab every single target and spare the guards like a professional. Likewise you'll be high chaos if you murder everyone in front of you and want the bastards to suffer far worse than a quick death.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Wait what? I didn't see the target killed pop up or did you just cut before that? (or am I blind). I wonder if they use speed or distance for that then (probably distance or grate overseer would have died).

I have all of the UI notices turned off.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Poil posted:

You'll still be low chaos if you stab every single target and spare the guards like a professional.

That's honestly probably the most Corvo-esque way to play the game. The guards are just doing their job, and have families and stuff that'll miss them. Corvo is looking for revenge against the conspiracy, not to slit the throat of every pig from here to Tyvia.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

warhammer651 posted:

Yeeeeaaaah, I'm not a fan of certain nonlethal options - the Boyle and upcoming Brothel missions in particular are uncomfortable as hell. However, from a mechanical point of view low chaos is clearly tagged as "good" - if you do low chaos then less people suffer from plague, people are less desperate, if you go high chaos then people are evil as gently caress.

Poil posted:

Yeah... They're really just non-lethal options. The chaos system does good or evil in my opinion, do you murder everyone who happens to get in your way or do you work around and spare them? You're still an assassin and end them whether you chose to make him poison himself, stab him or brand him so he'll be cast out on the street as a beggar and likely die of the plague.

High and low chaos is completely separate from lethal or non-lethal of terminating the target. You'll still be low chaos if you stab every single target and spare the guards like a professional. Likewise you'll be high chaos if you murder everyone in front of you and want the bastards to suffer far worse than a quick death.

Or basically what Poil said.

All of the nonlethal options are a fate worse than I wish upon anyone (with the exception of the Lord Regent and Daud mission nonlethal options) and after my first go through the game I'm never doing those things again.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 5, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

With one exception they all deserve non-lethal. :colbert:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I did a clean hands run of this mission last night, after watching the video. Not as good as Coolguye, I was out of sleeping darts by the time I got to the Overseer and Curnow. Lacking any other option to prevent the overseer from killing Curnow in the sex dungeon, I waited until both of them were looking at the painting, and then blinked into the room, behind the Overseer, at which point I just choked him out. I got the same reaction from Curnow that Coolguye did.

Seriously though, I only collected like half the money, and it felt like I hit everywhere. They did a really good job of hiding this poo poo.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

The writing and story in this game are generally pretty bad. Everything else is awesome though.

I don't think they're bad so much as aggressively mediocre.

I'm playing Thief Gold right now, and there are some pretty cool parallels: a city going through a technological revolution of sorts, a mysterious outsider that may threaten the rising order, mechanically interesting ways to interact with the world (the gadgets and parkour), and loot being sucked into the black hole that is the PC.

But pieces are missing as well: Corvo just doesn't match up with Garrett, probably because Corvo is basically a nonentity as far as characters goes. The vaguely hostile outsider here, despite giving powers to "interesting" people, is just so boring and not actually a threat, and there's no real counterpart to the Hammerites; while the Hammerites had character, the Order of the Everyman is also just blah: they oppose the Outsider because...? And every character is also boring, which is a shame because they're designed really well; instead of being realistic, the team went with something more stylistic, which I wish more games did.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Explaining this to his doctor is going to be interesting.

Clearly, the Outsider chose well in giving Corvo his powers.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

NullBlack posted:

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

NullBlack posted:

aahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Coolguye posted:

If you wanted something simple a blingee style photoshop of Stone Cold Curnow would get thrown into the update post like immediately.

Beyond that, understand that I couldn't possibly care less how 'good' fan art is. The point is that it is fun, and all our threads are about fun first and foremost. If someone wants to extend their pinky, sip their tea, and say that our supplementary update posts are not crafted to their exacting standards they can rent a thoroughbred horse, hop in a one horse open sleigh, and ride it directly into hell.

I tried.

Sadly I couldn't get the animations for Snoop Dog to sync.

Also if we take this image and the Xed out Campbell image they go together really well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

I tried.

Sadly I couldn't get the animations for Snoop Dog to sync.

Also if we take this image and the Xed out Campbell image they go together really well.

Coolguye posted:

aahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
You know what empty bottles are really good for? Throwing them at Pendelton's face during the intermissions. You can get away with one or two and the reactions are pretty great. Besides really they all (with a few choice exceptions) deserve it, especially Pendelton.
It's cathartic but also hilarious.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The whale oil tanks in Piero's workshop are good for that too.

You have reload after you do it, but it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

JMolen posted:

You know what empty bottles are really good for? Throwing them at Pendelton's face during the intermissions. You can get away with one or two and the reactions are pretty great. Besides really they all (with a few choice exceptions) deserve it, especially Pendelton.
It's cathartic but also hilarious.

https://youtu.be/lo4JH96KcgQ

• Locked thread