Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
It says a lot about a game when everyone can just sit around and talk about the high ledges. In my case I kind of have problems with falling off them but I really enjoy navigating the vertical areas to find things.

Also after seeing that video and what happened with the rat swarm in Dr. Galvanni's house a guy I know wants my door opening rights to be revoked or at least heavily restricted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Dishonored: The floor is lava (and also rats)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Trogdos! posted:

To be fair, this sums up the game pretty well for a clean hands run.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dishonored is like DX:HR in that once you know where to go, you can skip over most of the levels. In Dishonored by using Blink, in DX:HR by using some oddly-placed air vents and other weird shortcuts. Although most people don't find all the Deus Ex shortcuts, they aren't necessary in a normal game. I only found them on a no-augs/no-items run that forced me to get creative.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'm trying to think of a situation where they aren't and I'm drawing a blank.

Your target in The Flooded District. The Outsider's reaction is also somewhat amusing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Your target in The Flooded District. The Outsider's reaction is also somewhat amusing.
It's especially interesting considering that this particular target surviving is canon. The Outsider is generally up for a couple surprises with Corvo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So can you just not get the runes without doing Rags murder missions? Or are there more runes in the game than powers to buy?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think you can level up all powers. Just going with improved blink and improved agility is easily enough to get through the game and during my last playthrough I ended up with quite a lot of unspent runes.

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 9, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Improved Time Stop is crazy fun. But no, you can't upgrade everything.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I for one really like the Outsider. "Trickster" is a bit too manic a description, I agree, but his behavior does make a degree of sense in the end.

v: Funny, I like the smug, confident, casual attitude. This is not a matter of life and death, this is not a quest of utmost importance, this is him handing one of the mice in his cage a sword and saying "Let's see what you do with this." as he says, "How you use what I have given you falls upon you, as it has to the others before you, and now, I return you to your world, but know that I will be watching with great interest."

Nekomimi-Maiden fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 9, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if only his voice and mannerisms didn't put you to sleep all the time.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I for one really like the Outsider. "Trickster" is a bit too manic a description, I agree, but his behavior does make a degree of sense in the end.

I like how he gives a bit of depth and identity to the way protagonists seem to stumble onto weird poo poo that gives them an edge in video games.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

v: Funny, I like the smug, confident, casual attitude. This is not a matter of life and death, this is not a quest of utmost importance, this is him handing one of the mice in his cage a sword and saying "Let's see what you do with this." as he says, "How you use what I have given you falls upon you, as it has to the others before you, and now, I return you to your world, but know that I will be watching with great interest."

Reminds me of a line: "There's no such thing as 'Good' and 'Evil, only 'Fun' and 'Boring'. Seems to me like he makes sure the people he bestows his gifts upon are, at least, going to be interesting in how they use them.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I like how he gives a bit of depth and identity to the way protagonists seem to stumble onto weird poo poo that gives them an edge in video games.

I like how his judginess and indifference to you makes sense and fits in with the overall world building of the game

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trogdos! posted:

This LP finally inspired me to do a playthrough (after I wandered away from it partway through the Campbell mission :negative: ) and this line is so true.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, I just finished the game. Meant to play an hour before bed and "one more load screen"-d myself all the way to 2AM. I suppose that makes it a good game.

Final playstyle: Corvo the Apologetic. Sleep dart a guard, watch as he falls into the canal, fun stuff like that.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

"I wanted to do good but it turned out as usual :negative:"

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Reminds me of a line: "There's no such thing as 'Good' and 'Evil, only 'Fun' and 'Boring'. Seems to me like he makes sure the people he bestows his gifts upon are, at least, going to be interesting in how they use them.

It gets even better when you hear the outsider talk about a certain NPC who's fascinated with him. he says "But if he really wants to meet me, he could start by being a bit more interesting." especially considering who it is he's talking about.

It should also be noted that depending on how you dealt with your target he can give a significantly different monologue, usually commenting on your choice of action. This is easy to miss since you can only go to the shrine once a mission

Orv
May 4, 2011
Things I learned about Dishonored today: You can stack bodies two high before the physics engine starts objecting. Violently.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

JMolen posted:

It gets even better when you hear the outsider talk about a certain NPC who's fascinated with him. he says "But if he really wants to meet me, he could start by being a bit more interesting." especially considering who it is he's talking about.

It should also be noted that depending on how you dealt with your target he can give a significantly different monologue, usually commenting on your choice of action. This is easy to miss since you can only go to the shrine once a mission

Yeah, this is why scientific attempts to understand magic fail; magic is being controlled by something that thinks, and it doesn't roll over and fetch for anyone it doesn't like.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Orv posted:

Things I learned about Dishonored today: You can stack bodies two high before the physics engine starts objecting. Violently.

Are we talking: The laws that keep matter stable and sane break down violent or like, you stabbed some birds in a Zelda game too much violent?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Stormgale posted:

Are we talking: The laws that keep matter stable and sane break down violent or like, you stabbed some birds in a Zelda game too much violent?

Havok Physics violent. So basically the former.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Stormgale posted:

I would not be surprised if it ended up being both.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dareon posted:

Havok Physics violent. So basically the former.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Kill the High Overseer (part 2): Youtube Polsy

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Haha, is the safe place for the unconscious Curnow actually a dumpster?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You can also not knock him out and he'll escape on his own. But yes, the safest place for him if you take direct intervention is a nap in a dumpster.

That quest actually has a number of possible resolutions, it's quite impressive.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Wait, so why does the guy you're supposed to save die?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

CirclMastr posted:

Wait, so why does the guy you're supposed to save die?

Rats, man

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you leave the zone before you can either stow him or make sure he escapes on his own it is presumed he dies. The Overseer's goons attack him if you just switch poison chalices, for example, 'cause they hold him responsible.

Also: those quarreling thugs: I swear when I looted them I got 25 off of one's body. So the one guy was lying!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 15, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Best way to deal with those infighting thugs- there is a street lantern right above them. From there it is trivially easy to cook a grenade and kill all three of them in one blow.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Speedball posted:

If you leave the zone before you can either stow him or make sure he escapes on his own it is presumed he dies. The Overseer's goons attack him if you just switch poison chalices, for example, 'cause they hold him responsible.

Also: those quarreling thugs: I swear when I looted them I got 25 off of one's body. So the one guy was lying!

I just snuck in, panicked, and shot the bottle before they even started having their atmospheric chat. The Overseer ran off to his location, Curnow escaped into the wild.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
Man. I hear all the stupid payday stories from you guys, and it makes me kinda sad that I never could get into the game.

But god. this game is so good. I might just have to reinstall it and go through again. Don't think I ever did a really good low chaos run.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

double nine posted:

Best way to deal with those infighting thugs- there is a street lantern right above them. From there it is trivially easy to cook a grenade and kill all three of them in one blow.

Remember this quote when you watch my nonlethal run next week. I don't do the whole grenade thing, but street lights are loving great.

heenato posted:

Man. I hear all the stupid payday stories from you guys, and it makes me kinda sad that I never could get into the game.
The update today basically tossed the entire community into raging, hate-fueled turmoil so that's probably for the best, really.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Also by the way poil I'm gonna have to ask you to never stop commenting on our youtube videos because every time I see a comment from you pop up in our email I end up smiling

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Coolguye posted:

The update today basically tossed the entire community into raging, hate-fueled turmoil so that's probably for the best, really.

Isn't that every update? To everything?

On the topic of street lights: Yeah, they're pretty great. Not as great as fence columns, but they're great.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

All you really need to know is that there are a bunch of records of producers and chief designers saying that microtransactions are bad and that Payday 2 will not have microtransactions.

Today they added microtransactions (and a lot of other things, but nobody cares when there's microtransactions).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Weird, I remember the conversation with the sick overseer after the assassination being very different. Maybe it was a different place.

Possessing is really fun, it even works on fish. Who hasn't wanted to possess fish every once in a while?

Coolguye posted:

Also by the way poil I'm gonna have to ask you to never stop commenting on our youtube videos because every time I see a comment from you pop up in our email I end up smiling
I'm gonna have to ask you to never stop posting youtube videos. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 15, 2015

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Poil posted:

Weird, I remember the conversation with the sick overseer after the assassination being very different. Maybe it was a different place.

High vs Low chaos difference! We'll see it on Coolguye's run.

Edit: Yep! Because it's the third/fourth section of the first mission, there's been plenty of time to murder the crap out of enough guards to start pushing the chaos balance. Chaos is also continually updating; if you kill 20 guys in the first mission, you'll be High Chaos until you've spared a total of 81+ other people [whether by not engaging them or by sleepdart/choke and careful body stashing]

Nekomimi-Maiden fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

High vs Low chaos difference! We'll see it on Coolguye's run.
Already? It's the first mission. :stare:

• Locked thread