Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This should be enjoyable. What's your spoiler policy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Crane Fist posted:

My first runthrough of this game I played it like a standard stealth game- creeping around and legging it whenever I got spotted and it was alright, nothing amazing. Then I went for a high chaos run and it became one of my favourite games, all on account of the sheer variety of options you're given. Creeping around slicing up chumps, afflicting them with rats, sticking bombs on them, re-wiring their defences and brawling your way out with guns and time magic when you get spotted is how all stealth games should play.

There's a pervasive trend when something is labeled a "stealth" game to treat it as if the game's sneaking state is fragile china: despairing, panicking, or in some cases restarting when the player is discovered. I'm half ashamed to admit I treated Dishonored the same way myself. But there's a fine line between the stealth game and the "action with heavy stealth elements" game. Dishonored is the latter. The primary difference is you can play the latter like the former, but not vice versa.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You missed Emily's letter! :argh: Worst completionist run ever.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The mention of tentacles is what starts to give you the impression that these may not be what we immediately think of when the word "whales" is used. That and the fact that whale oil is a volatile explosive rivaling nitroglycerin.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I should fire the game up and see how many bodies can fit in a single dumpster.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Stormgale posted:

Are we talking: The laws that keep matter stable and sane break down violent or like, you stabbed some birds in a Zelda game too much violent?

Havok Physics violent. So basically the former.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You should at least do the aerial execution trial, that's fun as hell and comes with a bonus at the end.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TomViolence posted:

Do you think you'll get your own squad after what happened last night?

Never doubt it! :doom:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Have you heard any news from the other parts of Tam- wait.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Mostly Flesh and Steel is a fun one, surprisingly. I can't recall whether I went clean hands or not, but it reminded me a bit of the Bioshock challenge run I did once trying to limit plasmid use to the bare minimum. I think the game can be cleared with only two mandatory plasmid uses. Everything else can be handled with elemental shotgun ammo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The perfect option would be Emily's drawings of Corvo from different chaos levels.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, that episode was a lesson in "Wait, you can get up there?" I knew some of the rooftops were accessible, but like half the places you found in the backyard were completely new to me.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

JMolen posted:

You know what empty bottles are really good for? Throwing them at Pendelton's face during the intermissions. You can get away with one or two and the reactions are pretty great. Besides really they all (with a few choice exceptions) deserve it, especially Pendelton.
It's cathartic but also hilarious.

https://youtu.be/lo4JH96KcgQ

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Post-Golden Cat, I was running around the Hound Pits chatting up the servants and throwing bottles at the aristocracy. I accidentally talked to Lord Pendleton and he remarked "I suppose this means I need to have children. Or recognize some of my bastards."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just finished my own Clean Hands Ghost playthrough. A lot of savescumming occurred. I did get to have a little fun, because I would murder the person who spotted me, then reload while his head was flying away. I'd also duel all the assassination targets, reload, and do them nonlethally. Although I didn't get the High Overseer like that, I started with the Pendletons because one spotted me as I was trying to pickpocket him. :v:

Also, while Coolguye has trouble with heights, for me it's underwater segments. I was panicking a little during a section of the game that hasn't been covered yet, because there's an underwater safe that, thanks to forgetting to save, I needed to do three times. :krakken:

e: And I didn't get Strong Arms until like the very last bone charm you can even pick up. I was stuck for a good half the game with a bunch of white rat things because nothing else was even vaguely useful. :argh:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 24, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"The entire conspiracy is called off because someone wants to punch Corvo for being a dick."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It does count against Clean Hands, naturally, but I think someone mentioned in this thread that you can tranq him instead of using the gun like an idiot. :v:

Doesn't change what his bodyguards say, which is amusing when the one goes "Another client dead, now what do we do?" and the asshat snores loudly.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
When I was doing the party, I stashed every upstairs guard in Esma's bathtub. It wasn't on the patrol route of any guard, so none of them would decide to cover a missing person's patrol and discover my handiwork. Plus, while you can only fit five in (under normal circumstances, without ini tweaking) before they start disappearing, those five make for an amusing tableau.

Also, I learned the guard objected to you eating his apple on my first playthrough, but the video that taught me those balloons were explosive was this one.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 1, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Tzimisce are basically the only reason I would even consider playing Vampire with the kind of people that want to play Vampire.

Also every time RoboKy said "Krusk" I kept picturing the iconic D&D barbarian hurling acid flasks at Corvo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm aware of a variant on the "Coals to Newcastle" joke where you take a poo poo before entering <given American state>. I've heard it from Coloradoans towards Texas and vice versa.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That safe underwater in the back garden was the bane of my existence for a good half hour on my last playthrough, because I tend to panic in underwater segments, so I would stick my face underwater, dial in the first number of the combo, panic, surface, and repeat. Then I'd get spotted by an assassin, reload because it hosed up my ghost run, and find myself back at the entrance to that section, because I forgot to save. This happened three times.

Also a pain were all the krusts, because of course I wasn't upgrading my pistol or buying explosive bullets or any of the capacity upgrades. I'm not shooting anyone, why would I need those? :downs: So I'm carefully plinking at them with my crossbow and whatever grenades the game gives me. Then I move forward to loot that one group, and the one situated behind the pipe for exactly that purpose gets me.

I enjoyed the little bits of added sound.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just finished the Daud DLC, and when you guys get to it I hope you spend a little time sightseeing, the dev team went above and beyond as far as creating new unique resources. Particularly in the finale.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That comment about how if the chicken attack happened in Dishonored you'd start feeling like a slasher movie villain got me thinking. Corvo's powerset has a hell of a lot in common with slasher villains. It's only the AI's lack of a significant fear response that keeps the slasher feeling from being more prevalent. The AI, when you think about it, is rather simplistic with a few mildly clever if-thens. If another guard has died to a Wall of Light/Arc Pylon, find another route to Corvo. If no route found, throw rocks at the wall until the oil tank drains. Et cetera. Only civilian AI has a "run and cower" response, and they path to a single spot and cower there, unmoving.

It's slightly disappointing, because some of the missions and trials would have benefited from a more active flee routine.

Also, I enjoyed Indigo Prophecy right up until the dog-eaten part. And even then I was still sort of on board until the old lady was the Internet.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Brainamp posted:

First video suggestion, Everything Wrong With The Punisher.

Oddly Satisfying Compilation 2016. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Orv posted:

All I'm saying, is that the physics impetus of grenades can be used to do a great many things.

Most of them borderline regicide.

Did you bonk Emily with a grenade? :mad:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The final confrontation with Havelock on the Low Chaos route is a little disappointing to me, compared to the glorious psychopathy everyone displays in High Chaos. The result is more or less the same, Martin and Pendleton dead without your needing to intervene, but Havelock explaining himself to a room full of corpses just doesn't have the same bite to it.

You mentioned during the credits that you'd like to see a stat on "Guards Humiliated" or along those lines, and Alpha Protocol actually does you one better. They have at least three stats for various permutations of "Enemies killed/neutralized": Enemies Killed, self-explanatory. Medical Bills Incurred, for the various broken arms and faces from close-range takedowns (Unfortunately it's not clear how this is calculated). And Orphans Created, for lethal playthroughs. When you're fighting Middle Eastern enemies, who tend to have a lot of children, the number goes up proportionately, but Chinese enemies, with China's one-child-per-family policy, only increase the count by one.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
When the only deity anyone has any knowledge of is full of imponderable whims and could by some interpretations be called squamous, you're not looking at a happy cosmological outcome.

By which I mean there is certain evidence to suggest the Outsider is a whale.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I would assume he's at least changed his clothes since then, because otherwise that is even more intolerable levels of cultural inertia if they had dapper buckle-clasp leather jackets 4,000 years ago.

I lose my immersion when cultures apparently stagnate for significant periods without either imploding or advancing. See also: Tamriel.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I always felt that Granny Rags' gift recipes were a really good example of both world-building and coding, as I've felt that things like detecting when a specific object is in a specific place is a serious achievement, despite it probably just being a matter of defining an invisible hitbox that only responds to a flag set on the specific object. Plus they're all doable on clean hands. The only time I really had a problem with one was on the very last level of the second DLC, where she wants you to swallow three River Krust pearls. Which you may recall range in size from larger than a human eye to the size of a grenade. There's no difficulty in actually doing it as far as the game is concerned, it just seems unworkable from a physics perspective.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dancer posted:

It bothers me slightly that it is now revealed there are only 8 outsider-touched people in the world. Within Dunwall alone we have Corvo, Daud, Granny, the royal interrogator. The world's supposed to be much bigger than that.

There's also a random boy with a rat and REDACTED. Also in Dunwall. Although it seems from my wiki-whacking that the executioner isn't actually marked by the Outsider, he just learned magic from Granny Rags.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, every time I see an impressive ten-thirty seconds of gameplay I wonder how long it took to get right. Like sometimes it was obviously random chance and they happened to have the camera rolling and other times I can see, for instance, skidmarks and crashed cars from previous failures. It's all impressive, though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The first thing I did when I started my most recent playthrough of the DLC was stab Billie. Standard execution, Irreconcilable Hostilities.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Orv posted:

I maintain that Stranglehold is a far better game than anyone credits it with.

I too enjoy shooting all the criminals in the beanbag.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Holy hell, that is incredible luck with bone charms. Basically everything a hug-happy man needs, although I tend to prefer mana from sinks rather than health (Although I slot both at once if possible). It doesn't make for exciting LP-watching to sit and drink from a sink twelve times, but it satisfies my "can't use that potion, I might need it later" itch.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fish Noise posted:

Upon their reunion, Corvo and Daud share a secret handshake consisting of extending a hand to each other and suddenly snatching it back across the chest, a motion they've both been doing almost-uncontrollably ever since the Outsider appeared before Corvo.

I had to make that gesture to realize what you were talking about. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I never saw that dialogue between the Barrister and the maid. Every time I went in, Timsh was in his office, then eventually wandered up to his chambers and farted around. And this was over three separate playthroughs because I'd put the game down for a year, come back, and think "I should start from the beginning so I have a firmer grasp on the plot."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I enjoyed the Time Stop murder-puzzle mode, and there's a nice bonus at the end of the drop assassination deal, but the descriptions of the other things just didn't appeal to me.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
While it's equally stupid that turning off an apparently-innocuous portion of the UI disables the instructions, Little Inferno actually does only give you the names of what you're supposed to do. It's literally the only challenge the game has, though, and failing one doesn't lock you out of anything for that run or even lose you anything.

The object of Little Inferno is to burn things in a fireplace. You are constantly buying new things, arranging them artistically, and then burning them to ash. Each thing drops more money than it cost to buy, so that's not an issue. What is the specific issue is the combo system: Burning two or three specific things together gives you a little shower of confetti and a few tokens which can be spent to remove the shipping times from items you buy. You also need to do a specific number of combos to progress through the game. You're given a list of combo names and the number of things involved, and that's it. Some of them are simple to figure out, others not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Stormgale posted:

I'm now imagining coolguye trying to dodge offset and it's pretty funny

Well, Corvo cuts enemies into only slightly fewer pieces than Raiden does.

• Locked thread