Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Having never played High Chaos runs of Dishonored before (and generally being the kind of guy that tries to sneak through everything anyway) I really wanted to be the one who did it. Getting to really change up my play-style and at the same time show off the toys the game gives you to be a bloodthirsty kinda Corvo. I am really looking forwards to showing and learning with you all and I apologise for the moments where my commentary just descends into comic-book villain style laughing whenever I give Coolguy the cringes (Orv's the little devil on my shoulder telling me to kill everything).

Dareon posted:

This should be enjoyable. What's your spoiler policy?

I know this game's been LP'd like four times on the forums but especially for me and the new experience of how things are going to go for a lot of details, I say keep them to a zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Please tell me you're going to show how the high jump completely trivializes normal combat.

Well I'd never really considered doing it but as this is a learning process for seeing just how dumb I can make my murder sprees then yes, yes I will do this at some point.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Low Chaos is kind of like a very careful surgery to remove a harmful element from the patient.

High Chaos is when the surgeon really loving hates the harmful element in the patient and decides it's going to take it out no matter the cost and he somehow snuck a chainsaw into surgery before locking and barring the operating room doors.

So in effect the results are fairly predictable.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

LashLightning posted:

Is there going to be showing of what the heart says when there isn't an immediate objective?

If it helps I use the heart accidentally a lot whenever my brain stops working and I forget I'm holding a pulsing void-infused vital organ and try to Blink.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

Granny Rags is a sweet old lady, you hooligans

anilEhilated posted:

Not to mention the best character in the game.

It always feels like you're just brushing past something larger and more terrible whenever you deal with Granny Rags. Like you just brushed a stray cobweb out of your face, which in reality was a tiny piece of a gigantic web with a similarly horrible spider lurking at its center. It notices you, but it chooses not to devour you for the moment.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

So, Coolguye and Roboky, once you're done with Dishonored, are you going to do Transformers: Devastation?

Coolguye posted:

We have a few pretty great ideas for the next game. Devastation currently isn't one of them but I haven't had a chance to crack at it yet. So maybe!

Suffice to say I have played and beaten the normal mode of Devastation in one sitting because I was enjoying it so much. It's such a small game in terms of "from start to finish," to do just a single run of it would be incredibly easy to show off and we could easily do it as a "between projects" thing. I almost want to say that Coolguye should avoid ever seeing anything about it so I can just listen to the glee in his voice with every sequence the game throws at us, because the world has already been robbed of hearing my first-time reactions as it is.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

It says a lot about a game when everyone can just sit around and talk about the high ledges. In my case I kind of have problems with falling off them but I really enjoy navigating the vertical areas to find things.

Also after seeing that video and what happened with the rat swarm in Dr. Galvanni's house a guy I know wants my door opening rights to be revoked or at least heavily restricted.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I for one really like the Outsider. "Trickster" is a bit too manic a description, I agree, but his behavior does make a degree of sense in the end.

I like how he gives a bit of depth and identity to the way protagonists seem to stumble onto weird poo poo that gives them an edge in video games.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

And with the end of my first High Chaos run, I have developed a taste for blood and the horribleness only escalates from here.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

So basically by the end of this LP, there will be enough evidence to charge you with war crimes in at least 5 different continuities, correct?

By the end of the LP there'll be no one left to charge me for war crimes :unsmigghh:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Green Intern posted:

Only had time to watch the intro video, but this looks like a lot of fun! I always like to see more videos from you guys.

Roboky, do you think you can do an entire video where you kill dudes with only rats as a challenge? I don't know how feasible this is.

Unless I took the rat summoning powers it would be incredibly tedious! And even then it would probably still be pretty tedious. But don't worry, there will always be rat-shenanigans.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

They need to play a level with all the bad guys modded into elves.
...without killing anyone.

I take umbrage with the suggestion Coolguy and I are Drakengard characters.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Well the map is covered in gold.

I mean because everyone's clearly pissing everywhere what the gently caress is wrong with you people Dunwall is a big enough dump as it is without you leaking on everything like dogs marking your territory jesus h. outsider.

Coolguye posted:

Grate Overseer.

Little did past me realise at that time that The Overseer's Grate Time would be the lesser of weird loving poo poo this game was going to pull off on Coolguye.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

On the plus side he's really not in the way of the sweeping.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

I see the way you end that video and all I can think of is "Hi Emily I brought you a new mom she's also a little dead but that's okay"

In a way that single act is one of the best examples of the power of a player to ruin the narrative of a game by conducting themselves in a way that is completely counter-intuitive to the way the game is trying to present itself. And I like doing that.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Man, the Golden Cat is another great level suited for multiple entrances and exits. I especially like the difference between the opulent guest areas and the drab employees' quarters; it's very Hitman. You don't really need to read the book in the Madam's office to know that these prostitutes are mistreated (apart from, you know, being subservient to men and treated like objects).

The attention to detail on things like that is why Dishonored is such an immersive game. You're most often picking your way through the muck and grime of a dying city, but the Golden Cat is a different kind of muck. It's one that's been there before the plague began, and would probably be there long afterwards had I not kind of stabbed it out of business.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I was really hoping this would catch on more after the wild success of Dark Souls but apparently most devs still think players too stupid.

And oh boy are we going to have a lot to say about that in a coming mission because it turns out a lot of playtesters are too stupid and likely colouring that opinion that devs have.

Spudd posted:

So tell me if I'm wrong or am just misremembering but can't you point the heart at certain npc's and the heart will tell you something about them?

Because I'm just sure that first prostitute you murdered is someone who gets their own special heart mention.

You're correct about dialogue when you point the heart at people, but I am uncertain if that prostitute there has anything specifically for her that isn't a generic string for all prostitutes.

I'll show off the heart a bit more during the next intermission, mostly because I'm a terrible person HI EMILY GUESS WHAT I HAVE.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Death Zebra posted:

I think the video has been set to private or something. It didn't show up in my youtube subscription feed or on your channel page.

For whatever reason, the video's publishing date was set back to when I actually uploaded it as opposed to the day we actually you know, published it. It didn't do this with last week's video, which was uploaded the same day as this one but published last week. Long story short blame Youtube. So it's up there just a way back for some ungodly reason.

Also I think I need to fix up our videos' categories cause they're all listed as travel. See the sights! Stab new people!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I won't live in a world where I cannot make testicle jokes.

I'm hard-wired to grasp at low hanging fruit.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Intentional meta-joke or hilarious coincidence?

In my next adventures in the High Chaos run, Orv is left asking exactly the same question!

But first we have to get through Coolguye trying to come to terms with the consequences of trying to be a man with sticky fingers but clean hands.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Orv posted:

I must veto Thi4f so hard.

Yeah, we try to play games we like. You tend to find that it requires a monstrous amount of effort to keep going on something that is just not fun, and Thi4f just doesn't seem to have much charm to it beyond one or two bad sequences.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

'Dark Vision' has a lot to answer for in video games. Feels like every second game wants to ruin their aesthetic details by turning the screen into the blue dimension with occasional highlighted yellow or red vomits dotted throughout.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

I love this LP :allears: Here's hoping the next one goes up quick!

The next episode is in fact ready to upload, but I'm holding off on doing it cause of how the last time hosed up the publishing order for subscribers.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hitman is a pretty amazing series that I'm pretty bad at.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I told you the High Chaos run was going to teach us all new things about the game!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

I'm really enjoying Dishonoured. I'm another one playing the game alongside/ahead of the LP, and I really love the aesthetic and the setting of this game, the atmosphere really brings you into a ruined death-stricken wreck of a corrupted city, and the weird Victorian steampunk styling doesn't feel too unnecessary and overwrought (except for maybe the mask, which you barely ever see anyway?). It's a neat stealth game with plenty of tricks, which always gives you the opportunity to brute force your way to success when things go awry, or just if the mood takes you, which is a problem I always had with Hitman games. And the Outsider is an interesting idea, even if something about the way he is played is a little off. Maybe that's intentional, maybe it feels a bit hollow with the lack of any enthusiasm or malice or what have you, I'm not sure. Still a lot of fun.

I like how the conspiracy all comes together, too, it's not all clean and clear. It's great how after the High Overseer mission, when you get the black book, your Overseer buddy goes from "This terrible bastard was blackmailing everyone for power and superiority" to "With this, we'll be able to blackmail everyone for power and superiority" in one breath. And Pendleton talks about taking his brothers' positions in Parliament, going from "How could I, my own brothers" to "I never believed I would be the Pendleton heir" in a kind of similar manner, if not quite as vindictively. The Admiral doesn't seem like much of a moral foundation either. You're definitely the Good Guys, but exactly how Good you are is kind of up in the air. I mean, you're an assassin, after all.

I'm looking forward to the two levels ahead of this one (all I've seen so far), and how the two main runs deal with what the game puts in front of you. I really like that both are played so differently, with an open game like this your setup really helps show a lot more of what it has to offer, and what difference your actions can make. I'm playing through a much less competent Low Chaos run, but as good as this game is I don't think I'd have the time to go through it more than once, so I'm glad you guys are doing it this way. Are you going to be able to show off all the powers in this LP? I've yet to meddle with Adrenaline or Possession, but I can safely say that Bend Time 2 is brilliant.

Oh yeah absolutely, the the conspirators are great because they have their hearts in the right place but it's pretty clear they didn't realise just how big this poo poo was going to get. They aren't just doing all the right things like freeing Corvo and Emma and taking down the perpetrators of a horrible act, but they're shoring up their own personal powerbases too and it's sinking in. The Admiral's got his own personal assassin and it's frightening him just how much reach he has. Of course, that's not all and we'll get to that and yeah, the next few levels are gooood fun.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

There's even an option in game to automatically use a mana pot if you try to cast a spell without enough mana. Would have saved someone a lot of trouble :laugh:

I feel like having to do it manually stops me from just wasting it all in seconds and then wondering why I have none.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Bootcha posted:

I've already got Coolguye's celeb lined up for the next LP.

It's me I'm the celebrity. I'm going to be famous for killing a man by putting a bucket on his head and smashing it with a spoon for hours until he liquefies entirely.

That man will be Orv.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Poil posted:

I don't remember if it has been mentioned yet, but Sokolov would probably suspect Piero to send the assassin since he's making the main (and only) competing elixir against the plague. And since Piero got kicked out of the academy or whatever he likely harbors resentment.

Piero is indeed Sokolov's loudest critic so it would make sense. Sokolov is pretty aware that his lifestyle will eventually get him killed, I think he chases the Outsider in part so that he can avoid that fate.

Actually regarding Piero for a moment, anyone else get Nikola Tesla vibes from him? It didn't really hit me until the "obituary for Sokolov" thing, reminded me of the one Tesla wrote for Edison, only nicer.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Death Zebra posted:

You skipped the second floor of the pub in the morning. :saddowns:

Leaving that for the low chaos intermission?

I completely forgot about that, but yeah Coolguy has to go there for his run so he can show it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

admitting Sokolov to be a publicity genius while denouncing he had any scientific acumen whatsoever (as Tesla probably thought of Edison).

That's more or less what Tesla wrote in a printed obituary for Edison after his passing. It was a pretty brutal last word but considering their history and Tesla's personality not an entirely unexpected one.

JT Jag posted:

Piero and Sokolov have a number of very obvious and I can only presume intentional Tesla and Edison parallels.

It's a credit to the game these characters seem to take on so many different aspects from lots of different sources they become very solid parts of the game world in their own right without being unimaginatively derivative.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

I don't know why I find the frustrated locker slamming so disproportionately hilarious.

That is beautiful beyond measure.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I think I had a locker moment once or twice too, and I believe Orv mentioned he too has issues involving it or at least issue involving container stuff in other games.

No one is as bad as all of us!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'm glad my run is encouraging people to try just playing loud and violent. This game really deserves multiple playthroughs just to marvel at all the work they put into all the different aspects of game design. Both high and low styles are super satisfying in entirely different brain-tickling ways.

IMJack posted:

One thing I learned recently is that the Outsider's speeches change if you visit his shrines after dealing with your primary target, and whether you take care of them lethally or not. If you do the non lethal thing with Lady Boyle you get a more definitive version of the "fine clothes wear to tatters and her silken hair turns dull" spiel. In general if you kill your targets the Outsider is entertained, like a 15 year old watching an action movie; and if you take the other option your antics fascinate him.

I've been thinking about this and early on I decided I'm definitely going to show that off for our last major target. Feels like it would be wrong not to.

Also I may end up doing a test run of this next mission, if only to decide if it would be better to first sneak in, or kick the front door in and scream "HI HONEY! I'M HOME!"

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Stormgale posted:

Do you really need a test run to answer that question?

There's one little thing I'm worried we wouldn't get to see if I go super loud that I want to show so yeah. Gonna juuuuust make sure.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

Have you actually ever corvo kicked someone during your LP? It's just so satisfying to sprint at a guard, slide under his guard and either slash him up or send him flying. Comedy option is sliding past him while plopping down a spring razor even though I never managed to not get hit too.

I did early on and also gave a dude a legectomy doing it. It's very satisfying.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Orv posted:

Regrettably I have already made a "LP dead on account of X" joke but uh, XCOM, real good you guys.

I made sure I recorded my next bit of gameplay before it came out.

Sadly I don't think Coolguy did.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Don't worry, we got all our commentary done and recorded. It's just going to be a matter of Coolguye finding the time to glue it all together, and my next video is ready to go for our next recording session so there won't be too much of a wait turnover there.

Also XCOM2 is really really good.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

So how's Fire Emblem Fates, LP superstars?

AlphaKretin posted:

Roboky's Australian. :rip:

Coolguye's given the thread the skinny on the subject so I'm just going to say that you can ask about me being buried head-first in a turn-based tactical RPG when the english-language release of Super Robot Wars Original Generations: Moon Dwellers is out later in the year. At least in its case I'll know that the translation will be garbage cause it's for South East Asian markets, unlike Fates which is garbage because they apparently hired a bunch of circus clowns.

Rest assured if this hold-up continues on account of Coolguye's audio editing pipeline difficulties or Orv continually dying and having to be resuscitated with black magic on the days we usually record I'm going to just start a goddamn Transformers: Devastation LP because I'm getting LP withdrawals.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

"Look man, I can stop recording videos of me playing videogames whenever I want to. I need to finish up some, uh, work soon so I'll be in my room and don't bother me."
*Closes door and then kicks an orc off a mountain.
"Oooh, that feels so goooood."

Exactly except replace "an orc off a mountain" with "Starscream in the face"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Well, the first area is hijinxy as heck with all the speakers and light walls and so forth. If I'd been more stealthy about it I could have made the lobby a lot more hilarious too. But I feel like the trade-off of what I did there was more worth it.

After that though yeah, there's a lot more tight spaces and not a lot of toys to play with by the time you get further in.

• Locked thread