Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Coolguye posted:

Anyone who has been even 10 miles from a real ghetto knows that rats 1) do not give even the beginning of a poo poo about dumpsters and will climb or claw their way in if they think food is in there and 2) are way more likely to be there in the first place since they're fans of cramped areas with a lot of random detritus for warmth and cover.

Really if you throw a body into a dumpster, you should just see this massive explosion of blood and the faint sound of a squeaky buzz saw as the filthy rodent fucks that are in there lose their minds at the prospect of a free meal.

You don't need to have set foot in the city to know that. Rats can and happily will chew through steel and concrete to get into grain storage on farms, the industrious little bastards.

Basically, if a rat wants to get at something, there are precious few options to keep them away from it, and they mostly involve killing it before it can get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'm trying to think of a situation where they aren't and I'm drawing a blank.

Your target in The Flooded District. The Outsider's reaction is also somewhat amusing.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You can also not knock him out and he'll escape on his own. But yes, the safest place for him if you take direct intervention is a nap in a dumpster.

That quest actually has a number of possible resolutions, it's quite impressive.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sindai posted:

So the threshold is a 20% murder rate?

That was one of the game's primary criticisms once people started to work its systems out. It doesn't matter who you kill, or what you kill them with, or if you were stealthy or if you fired your pistol to alert everyone in the city and honorably sword dueled them, if you kill more than 20% of the level's inhabitants, you are chaotic.

It's not a a great system. :sigh:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Coolguye posted:

Then you still leave the potential of the player jumping down and engaging the Overseers (or just bumbling and getting spotted) before they got to the relevant point.

I can definitely see your point but, on the other hand, if someone's going to just plow into a group of enemies, they're probably not that interested in finding the non-lethal options either.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The devs could have had Sam say something about the brand, like

I'm not rejecting their choice to have dialogue about the brand, because you need to tell people somehow. However, giving the monologue to Samuel is more convenient, since you're in cutscene and cannot interrupt what he's saying. He's talking about the level anyway, mentioning both the wall of light and Granny Rags, so it'd be simple to add some little thing about the brand in there.

That would also be thematically appropriate, given the role he plays in other parts of the story.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ArcMage posted:

Well, it's hard to render the through-walls vision while keeping everything else at full foreground detail, I guess. It can already get extremely cluttered when it does dim/desaturate things.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines did it just fine with Auspex. Just highlight actors in range with a colored outline and only show the outline when your view is obstructed. No need for ugly chromatic filters at all.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

warhammer651 posted:

Maybe she never married, and her relationship with Corvo was essentially an open secret to the nobility?

Matrilineal succession is also possible.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MooCowlian posted:

Boy, it's a good job children are totally fine whenever it's not convenient to be handling them, like when you're under cannon fire and surrounded by screaming dudes with swords and guns.

You know kids have been doing dangerous poo poo since forever and are still doing dangerous poo poo in many parts of the world now, right? And yet somehow we never run out of them.

Honestly, by the age of five I'd expect them to be doing deck work and other jobs where being small is an advantage because historically that's what we did with children. The idea that kids should get to do kid things and not be miniature adults is a wholly modern concept, less than two hundred years old.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dareon posted:

The Tzimisce are basically the only reason I would even consider playing Vampire with the kind of people that want to play Vampire.

Also every time RoboKy said "Krusk" I kept picturing the iconic D&D barbarian hurling acid flasks at Corvo.

Andrei has a fantastic voice. :allears:

• Locked thread