Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

City of Tampa posted:

i'm pretty sure that severe, intentional self harm is one of the things that have been consistently considered a sign of poor mental health by everyone forever

this is loaded. even assuming this is true, it doesn't make it a universally valid criterion. but "severe intentional self harm" is a really broad phrase, and doesn't even address intention or the source of the urge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaceFat
Jul 12, 2004
i've never heard about this with someone wanting to be blind, but i have heard about it with people who want to become amputees. this documentary about it, WHOLE, is really good: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429245/

basically, a lot of people with BIID try to get their doctors to perform professional amputations (these people are totally serious about this and they're usually suffering from depression about it), but the majority of doctors won't/can't do it obviously. so then some of these people become either suicidal or so desperate that they end up shooting their leg off with a shotgun etc and then almost dying. but after the removal, they're shown to be incredibly happy. one guy even knows down to the millimeter how short his leg should be (he says he does, anyway) it's a very strange phenomenon.

interesting that she actually found someone who would "operate" on her.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
anyway, this is what happens when people don't face any real hardship in their lives. america needs to be invaded

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

RaceFat posted:

i've never heard about this with someone wanting to be blind, but i have heard about it with people who want to become amputees. this documentary about it, WHOLE, is really good: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429245/

basically, a lot of people with BIID try to get their doctors to perform professional amputations (these people are totally serious about this and they're usually suffering from depression about it), but the majority of doctors won't/can't do it obviously. so then some of these people become either suicidal or so desperate that they end up shooting their leg off with a shotgun etc and then almost dying. but after the removal, they're shown to be incredibly happy. one guy even knows down to the millimeter how short his leg should be (he says he does, anyway) it's a very strange phenomenon.

interesting that she actually found someone who would "operate" on her.

:wtc:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

anyway, the moral attitude toward mental health is quite apparent in this process:

"she is insane" --> "what a loving idiot!!"

if you think she's insane shouldn't you feel empathy for her?

no, the answer is to attack and ostracize her

why?

because the sane/insane cut functions as a moral condemnation

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

nomadologique posted:

anyway, the moral attitude toward mental health is quite apparent in this process:

why?

holy poo poo come back to the real world you mental masturbator

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

nomadologique posted:

position a) she was "disordered" bc she wanted to pour bleach into her eyes, causing herself pain

position b) being sighted was causing her distress; hence being sighted was her disorder, which was cured by becoming blind

i don't see that you can reliably argue position A any better than position B without revealing a whole underlying set of assumptions that have no basis but your own moralizing

this post makes me want to blind myself

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

nomadologique posted:

this is loaded. even assuming this is true, it doesn't make it a universally valid criterion. but "severe intentional self harm" is a really broad phrase, and doesn't even address intention or the source of the urge.

I think pouring drain cleaner into one's eyes might just qualify as severe, intentional self harm just imho

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

nomadologique posted:

why?

on a scale of "I use Walmart scooters" to "I can't fit out the door", how goddam fat are u

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I also think legit blind people would stand in line to punch her in the face. Probably they would need some help though. Because they are blind. So they would probably miss. I think I've made my point here.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

nomadologique posted:

i think that your argument is "this is pretty much what trannies do", but actually trannies are a real thing that can be measured by science

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I think pouring drain cleaner into one's eyes might just qualify as severe, intentional self harm just imho

It seems overly convoluted too. I mean if you want to blind yourself it only takes a few pounds of pressure to pop your eye out of the socket, then you'd just need to cut the optic nerve and you're done, it wouldn't even hurt much. Of course then you'd just have empty sockets and no eyes but you could just get your eyelids crudely sewn together x_x

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It actually seems like a load of bullshit if I ever heard one and I wonder if she's lying/not actually blind even today :shrug:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i am far more pissed about having to pay for the sociopathic behavior of ppl in high finance

at least i am aware of my moral condemnation

that is one of my criteria for insanity: "willfully inflicts severe harm or hardship on others for personal gain"

i think: these people are insane and should be locked away

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Horniest Manticore posted:

this is the real world you coward, this is what it really looks like, this is what happens around you every single day, it is part of the machinery of human biomass

do you think violence and terror just fart their way into existence from nowhere?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's unfortunate that this was the last possible treatment option they had to help this lady after exhausting all other options

now that i've made this joke i'm going to have to point out that no, i'm not going to try and find out if it really was the last thing they tried or not

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

nomadologique posted:

this is the real world you coward, this is what it really looks like, this is what happens around you every single day, it is part of the machinery of human biomass

do you think violence and terror just fart their way into existence from nowhere?

there's nothing cowardly about calling a mental masturbator a mental masturbator

(it's you!)

i bet your plays are unwatchable btw

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

it's unfortunate that this was the last possible treatment option they had to help this lady after exhausting all other options

now that i've made this joke i'm going to have to point out that no, i'm not going to try and find out if it really was the last thing they tried or not

it's the last treatment until she decides something else is wrong with her

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i bet your plays are unwatchable btw

:ohdear:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst yeah, "lets laugh at the moron who blinded herself with bleach" is funny and all well and good.

This woman clearly has some body dysmorphia issues. The easy way for her to be 'blind', would be to tape her eyelids shut, and/or wear dark glasses, or even welding goggle type things. She was proficient in braille and walking with a stick, so if people asked surely she could "pass" as blind.

Instead she goes and puts drain cleaner in her eyes. What sort of psychologist would allow this level of self harm? (the article says she found one to approve/help her in the procedure)

So yeah, she is stupid, so Ha Ha, but she is also clearly clinically mentally ill. So perhaps not so much Ha Ha.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

he's a playwright, dontcha know

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

City of Tampa posted:

i think that your argument is "this is pretty much what trannies do", but actually trannies are a real thing that can be measured by science

As opposed to the fictional person in the article who doesn't exist and can't be studied? And what of these fine folks? http://www.academia.edu/1492895/Amputating_healthy_limbs

Turns out maybe it's all kinda the same?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No actually it turns out it's so whacked out that even open-minded shrinks think it's nutty

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/22/health/psychology/at-war-with-their-bodies-they-seek-to-sever-limbs.html?_r=0

A shmot guy posted:

"This is so completely beyond the realm of normal behavior," he said of the condition, which he estimated afflicts no more than a few thousand people worldwide. "My first thought when I heard about it was, Who would think this could go wrong? Who even thought there was a function that could be broken?"

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Demonachizer posted:

This is pretty much what trannies do.

if the choice is between someone who's goal is to become the most attractive woman possible or a woman who couldnt decide between forcing herself to become disabled via obesity or via literally blinding herself i feel like we should all celebrate transexual womens right this second

also i dont understand how it's legal for a psychologist to maim people to fulfill their mental obsessions

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

nomadologique posted:

position a) she was "disordered" bc she wanted to pour bleach into her eyes, causing herself pain

position b) being sighted was causing her distress; hence being sighted was her disorder, which was cured by becoming blind

i don't see that you can reliably argue position A any better than position B without revealing a whole underlying set of assumptions that have no basis but your own moralizing

I see you missed the quote that you, yourself put into your own post:

quote:

According to DSM-IV, a mental disorder is a psychological syndrome or pattern, which occurs in an individual, and causes distress via a painful symptom or disability, or increases the risk of death, pain, or disability;

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos

Phyzzle posted:

I see you missed the quote that you, yourself put into your own post:

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
*literally disfigured herself to become even more of a burden on society and the people that love her*

so brave! must have been an unavoidable and ingrain birth trait! don't judge

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015
Ok, for real. How is this different from being a transperson?

They both think they should be something different from the way they were born.
One had the wrong sex parts and the other had the wrong eye parts.

Is it because is sex is involved? and no one wants anybody interfering with their basic animal instinct? Which is loving, cause that's what life is all about.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQik7L8Av6w

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lard Goat posted:

Ok, for real. How is this different from being a transperson?

They both think they should be something different from the way they were born.
One had the wrong sex parts and the other had the wrong eye parts.

Is it because is sex is involved? and no one wants anybody interfering with their basic animal instinct? Which is loving, cause that's what life is all about.
Well, there's clear analogies, but on the other hand a transperson isn't handicapping him or herself the way this lady is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Transpeople do not seek to make themselves less functional or capable of doing poo poo, they just want different private parts :shrug: Intentionally blinding yourself with the full understanding that you will then require a large amount of ongoing support and help for the rest of your life (note that her sister and mother both aren't willing to do this any more) is amazingly hosed up, whereas "I'd really rather have a dick/pussy" impacts nobody at all outside yourself. It seems a very blatant difference to me.

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

Transpeople do not seek to make themselves less functional or capable of doing poo poo, they just want different private parts :shrug: Intentionally blinding yourself with the full understanding that you will then require a large amount of ongoing support and help for the rest of your life (note that her sister and mother both aren't willing to do this any more) is amazingly hosed up, whereas "I'd really rather have a dick/pussy" impacts nobody at all outside yourself. It seems a very blatant difference to me.

At the end of the day it is still mutilation yes? The way I see it is, a very mentally ill person needs to grab attention, and the only way to accomplish it is chop their dick off.

I am a mentally hosed person from my experiences in Iraq, but I can clearly see that choppin yo dick off is loving stupid.

Gay I understand, and they are cool, but I have never encountered a trans person that wasn't loving loony. It seems like when it comes down to sex people become loving stupid.

edit: lmao I just realized you said They want a different private part, but yet this woman wants a different seeing part...Are you loving serious? loving poo poo. What is the difference? Is one body part better than another? JFC

edit2: And don't say one modification puts more stress on their family more than another because that is bullshit. If you're a loving mother and one of your three sons decides he is a woman, that fucks up a lot of your relationships with people. If he was actually born that way and has identified with being the opposite sex since he was like ~6 then people could identify. Don't try to be a special snowflake when you are 25 and realized the only way anybody would care about you is when you join a carebear community of other attention whores.

At the end of the day it really hurts the real, true people that were denied because tumblr fucks want to be special.

old wooden ships fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 2, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure you're joking? Or maybe you are just dumb and not able to read good? :shrug:

e: Intentionally blinding yourself means you literally cannot do many forms of self-care or employment any more and someone else has to be willing to do these things for you, more concretely than "oh my feels, mommy hold my hand"

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
as our medicine gets better, people find more and more reasons to maim themselves to feel 'normal'

this sounds like a Judge Dredd storyline

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Should have just drank ethanol, and maybe died in horrible pain.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

Transpeople do not seek to make themselves less functional or capable of doing poo poo

apart from dating, loving, having children, holding down a job (more than likely) -- stuff like that. you're basically electing to build a house in the uncanny valley and live there forever

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I don't give a poo poo

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

apart from dating, loving, having children, holding down a job (more than likely) -- stuff like that. you're basically electing to build a house in the uncanny valley and live there forever

WHOA THERE! Some tumblrites and other super SJWs are still hanging out these forums. The last contribution SA had on the world was chopping your dick off. That is the SA legacy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Okay yeah that is not a very funny gimmick you have going there dude. Heil Hitler something something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Lard Goat posted:

WHOA THERE! Some tumblrites and other super SJWs are still hanging out these forums. The last contribution SA had on the world was chopping your dick off. That is the SA legacy.

don't chop off your dick! you won't be able to cum on keyboard goop then :(

e: anyhow, preopmonkey is permaprobated, so we're safe

• Locked thread