Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Haha, the number Tom left for Liz was 555-0123. Come on, Blacklist, at least put a little effort in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Roflex posted:

That was a pretty drat good half season.

Agreed.

I wonder if they're going to use that FBI lady's dying words to pull an LA Confidential and clue Ressler in on Boss Lady being evil.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Gonz posted:

It also just occurred to me that Andrew Divoff plays Karakurt.

Some may remember him from the Wishmaster movies.

He'll always be one-eyed Mikhail from Lost to me.

One-eyed, unkillable Mikhail.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

richardfun posted:

Well done sir. :golfclap:

Almost every episode of this show has me thinking 'gently caress it, I can't watch this anymore' several times. But then I weigh it against all the scenery chewing Spader does, and I'm back next week.

Ha, called it :smug:

This was a good episode, continuing the trend of this season being good in general. I wonder if they're going to transition to a new main villain, what with the two main Cabal members seemingly having been beaten and next week's episode being titled The Director: Conclusion.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

I really hoped she would say something like, "Thank you dad" just to see his reaction. But OTOH Reddington doesn't react like a normal human being so he still wouldn't give anything away.

As I recall, in the first season finale she was talking to him on the phone and straight-up asked "Are you my father?" and he said no. So at the very least the thought occurred to her quickly, but at this point if she still believes that then she knows he'll tell her when he's ready and not before.

From his earlier monologue about that girl they saved, the impression I got was that he was taking care of Liz not because of a familial connection but a connection born of guilt and honor. If he's not her father, then I'm betting he's the guy who killed her parents.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

Right, thanks for the reminder. Another question I have: at the start of the episode Red says "It's time to take down the Cabal". (And in the past, the Director was said to be the one in control of the Cabal). But it concludes with Red joining the Cabal, not taking it down. And the Director wasn't really in charge since Christine Lahti's character seemed to have more power than (or at least equal to) him.

And one more question: what's going to happen with Aram? He's out of a job, not really cut out for Red's capers, and is going to have to buy a new smartphone now, poor guy.

The Director was never in charge of the Cabal, he was just the highest-ranking member we knew about. Remember, that henchman guy who tortured Dembe was working for other members that either outranked or could otherwise remove the Director. I imagine the Cabal leadership is more of a council of peers than anything.

And why would Aram be out of a job? You don't think, with everyone exonerated of pretty much everything, that Cooper would hire him back?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

HookShot posted:

My favourite part was her talking about the drug store pregnancy test, because it means a doctor told her she was pregnant and she decided to confirm it with a $10 walgreens kit.

I thought she was saying that she had suspected the pregnancy before the attack, even going so far as to buy a test that she ultimately didn't take. The doctor just confirmed her suspicions.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The only thing that makes me think she isn't dead (well, aside from knowledge of how most network television works) is Raymond's whole "no morgue, let our people handle this" bit. That and the very showy "fainting spell" thing he did struck me as suspicious.

I do kind of hope she is dead for real, even if I have no idea what the structure of the show would be at that point. It would provide a smoother exit for Tom if he goes to star on the spinoff. Except for the baby, I suppose.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

crazy8 posted:

What was again red said to her before they put her under exactly? something about kids being a joy and she mentioned her baby and he said no not the baby liz, I'm talking about you.

Something like "The children the world almost breaks are the ones who end up saving it." She said she didn't want that for her baby, he said he was referring to Liz.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I mean, I guess they could say that Lotte Verbeek (who played Katarina in Red's vision) could be playing the younger version of Famke Janssen, but that's kind of a stretch. I mean, Famke is about 18 years older in real life, but she certainly doesn't look like it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We already know Famke's name - and while 'Charlie' might be her *new* name, it'd also be a safe assumption that if you were a believed-to-be-dead former badass KGB super-spy, you'd probably be lethal well into your 60s. Look at Helen Mirren's 'RED' character...or more appropriately, Lena Olin's from "Alias."

But, she's probably *is* Liz's mother - because this show likes to think it's clever in how it foists ~gotcha~ moments on its audience.

Well she would definitely have a new name of some kind. I'm just saying that if Famke turns out to be playing Katarina it's an interesting move to have two different actresses who look so close in age play the role in such close proximity.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My guess is the more plausible ~twist~ is that Famke isn't Lizzy's mother, but rather Lizzy's mother's slightly younger sister. So an *Elena* Derevko, not Irina. Brian Dennehy's father character said 'his daughter,' not 'his only daughter.'

But didn't he tell Red "As far as I'm concerned you killed my whole family"? And the whole retreating into solitude move would be pretty insensitive if he had another daughter out there kicking around.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

So would a vengeful Solomon be a recurring antagonist on the spinoff, or is he just going to come back to Halcyon and be made to play nice with Tom for a hostile work environment scenario? I seem to recall him being mentioned in the press release.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Thing is, it's hard to imagine a scenario where Liz is alive and working with Red/the FBI and Tom still decides to leave her and Agnes behind to go off and work for a shady security firm, and especially one in which Liz rarely or never appears in his life. I really don't know how they're going to set it up.

Her being dead at least allowed for the whole "Tom is lost and bitter about Liz's death, so he takes Scottie up on her offer and tries to find answers about it/learn about his true past." The baby problem is still there, but at least he's not just walking away from his intact family that way.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Medullah posted:

I personally like that they drove Tom for who knows how long in the trunk of a car just to kill him. Why not kill him and just throw him in the trunk? And then the first or second time he got the drop on someone only to have a new gun trained on him, maybe THEN you should have killed him?

Nope, they had to do the good ol' trope of "I'm gonna take my time with you, boy!"

It's been established that villainous henchmen in movies and TV hate nothing more than digging holes, so they're willing to take enormous risks just to force that guy to dig his own grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Best thing? Very little of Liz.

Yeah, the way she was handled this episode really reminded me of what shows do when their lead actress is pregnant and it's not part of the story. She was always standing behind something, or sitting at a desk, or having extreme close-up phone conversations with Red, or wearing a big billowy sweater, and nobody ever even raised the possibility of her going into the field (despite offering pretty much nothing back at HQ). Very odd.

• Locked thread