Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Pretty sure AAC is a UW or UO fan and this is Stanford hate

Fleener is bad though

Fleener isn't bad, he's just not what Tony G and Rob G have teased us into believing a tight end is capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Pretty sure AAC is a UW or UO fan and this is Stanford hate

Fleener is bad though

Correct on both

NC-17 posted:

Fleener has 50+ catches each of the last two seasons and 12 TD's total. How is that a bust?

This might be impressive on a run oriented team not the pass happy Colts

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

African AIDS cum posted:

Correct on both

This might be impressive on a run oriented team not the pass happy Colts

It's underwhelming for where he was drafted, but that's not a bust.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

NC-17 posted:

It's underwhelming for where he was drafted, but that's not a bust.

I'm bold enough to say it. He's a fraud. Drops a lot of passes and scared of contact. John Carlson 2.0

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm bold enough to say it. He's a fraud. Drops a lot of passes and scared of contact. John Carlson 2.0

Truth right here.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
lmao why are we taking anything AAC says at face value

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Parmesan Basil posted:

lmao why are we taking anything AAC says at face value

pot talking poo poo on kettle right here

Nov 6, 2002

African AIDS cum posted:

That's still not a bust.

Trent Richardson is a bust.

Justin Blackmon is a bust.

Aaron Maybin was a bust.

JaMarcus Russell was a bust.

Jimmy Graham is a bust (for what you traded).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

NC-17 posted:

That's still not a bust.

Aaron Maybin was a bust.

The poo poo OC not know how to utilize a pass-catching tight end isn't really the fault of Jimmy Graham.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

The poo poo OC not know how to utilize a pass-catching tight end isn't really the fault of Jimmy Graham.

Yeah. Jimmy was on Gronk level before being outcast to Seattle. I still don't understand that trade for the Seahawks. Trade a first round pick and your best olinemen for a dominant pass catching te you never throw to? Makes perfect sense.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

NC-17 posted:

That's still not a bust.

Aaron Maybin was a bust.

Blackmon was a legit good WR who had personal problems. Not a bust.

Jimmy Graham has been alright and will get better, its only been 4 games. Takes time to develop chemistry with a QB.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Should've traded for a pair of platform shoes so Russell could actually throw the high line drive that Graham can catch.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

Jimmy Graham has been alright and will get better, its only been 4 games. Takes time to develop chemistry with a QB.

A bust is a pick that doesn't pay off for whatever reason, not specifically being talentless. Did Blackmon even have one good full season in Jacksonville?

No Butt Stuff posted:

Should've traded for a pair of platform shoes so Russell could actually throw the high line drive that Graham can catch.

Wilson is only 1 inch shorter than Brees.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

A bust is a pick that doesn't pay off for whatever reason, not specifically being talentless.

See Anderson, Jamaal. Jerry, Peria.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yes, he had a quality rookie season despite Chad Henne and Blaine Gabbert taking all the snaps at QB.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

A bust is a pick that doesn't pay off for whatever reason, not specifically being talentless. Did Blackmon even have one good full season in Jacksonville?

Oh yeah? Is Ernie Davis a bust? Sean Taylor?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

African AIDS cum posted:

Yes, no

Nov 6, 2002

African AIDS cum posted:

Most of the NFL's infamous busts flamed out because of drugs, alcohol, attitude/laziness, etc. Talent wasn't the issue with guys like Russell or even Ryan Leaf. One didn't give a poo poo and the other was a pill-popping psycho.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

NC-17 posted:

Most of the NFL's infamous busts flamed out because of drugs, alcohol, attitude/laziness, etc. Talent wasn't the issue with guys like Russell or even Ryan Leaf.

Blackmon showed he was worth the draft pick. Leaf never did.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

African AIDS cum posted:

So is Chris Borland

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
trigger warning please

Nov 6, 2002

African AIDS cum posted:

Blackmon showed he was worth the draft pick. Leaf never did.

Blackmon has been out of the NFL for over two years. He is done. He's not going to come back from that.

#5 overall pick for 93 career receptions, that's a bust. Jags also gave up a 4th and 7th to trade up for him.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'd argue the only non-bust busts are players who don't pan out due to injuries*, because those are unpredictable and can happen to anyone. So yeah, Sean Taylor also not a bust in this system

*unless those injuries were known about/occurred prior to being drafted

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NC-17 posted:

Most of the NFL's infamous busts flamed out because of drugs, alcohol, attitude/laziness, etc.

Most of its greats are tied to alcohol or drugs too. Maybe blaming substances is an easily consumed narrative for an easily overwhelmed fanbase?

Nov 6, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Most of its greats are tied to alcohol or drugs too. Maybe blaming substances is an easily consumed narrative for an easily overwhelmed fanbase?

Not everyone can handle their booze.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I like weed but I don't know if I like it enough to roll the dice on a multi-million dollar career. Ahh of course I would I just wouldn't be completely stupid about it.

Play the game, guy

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

NC-17 posted:

Blackmon has been out of the NFL for over two years. He is done. He's not going to come back from that.

#5 overall pick for 93 career receptions, that's a bust. Jags also gave up a 4th and 7th to trade up for him.

Pacman missed almost two years and is playing the best football of his career

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

I like weed but I don't know if I like it enough to roll the dice on a multi-million dollar career. Ahh of course I would I just wouldn't be completely stupid about it.

Play the game, guy

Gordon's only REAL gently caress-up was that he was busted for using a Codeine syrup when he had a nasty cough. He'd still be in the game today but for that one innocent mistake.

He'd still have been busted a few times for weed, but he wouldn't be GONE right now.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chilichimp posted:

Gordon's only REAL gently caress-up was that he was busted for using a Codeine syrup when he had a nasty cough. He'd still be in the game today but for that one innocent mistake.

:suicide:

Nov 6, 2002

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Pacman missed almost two years and is playing the best football of his career

The details are bit different there as he missed one season from suspension, then played 9 games in Dallas, out of football for one season, then was signed with the Bengals.

Justin Blackmon has not even been in contact with the Jags and even his own GM said his career is over.

quote:

Caldwell said the team has not heard from Blackmon recently, and his 21-month respite from the NFL makes it doubtful he will ever play again in the league.

“I have not heard anything, and I guess I harbor a little bit of hope, but realistically I think when you're away from the game for two-and-a-half years what you were once is not what you probably will be,” Caldwell said. “Your skills do erode and especially if you're not staying in tip-top shape and you're not in football shape.”

Blackmon hasn't played or practiced with Jacksonville since Week 8 of the 2013 season, when the NFL suspended him indefinitely for his third violation of the league's substance-abuse policy. Before he can get back on an NFL field, Blackmon must apply for reinstatement into the league and then endure a two-month vetting process to determine if he will be allowed to return.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dirt Worshipper posted:

trigger warning please

The offseason was so disastrous that I was listing off all the stupid bullshit that happened and I literally forgot their rookie phenom defensive player up and retired suddenly.

Don't cry for the 49ers, they're already dead.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

warcrimes posted:

So is Chris Borland

He was a mid third round pick and they got one really good season out of him, even that's not that bad

It could have been so much more, but I will never ever blame a guy for choosing his health over football given what we know about the sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grozz Nuy posted:

He was a mid third round pick and they got one really good season out of him, even that's not that bad

It could have been so much more, but I will never ever blame a guy for choosing his health over football given what we know about the sport

I don't begrudge him either, it's great that he was in a position to be able to walk away. Just want to make that clear.

• Locked thread