Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

more sports teams need to work pink into their main color scheme, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chilichimp posted:

For real, who gives a gently caress about breast cancer.

:frogout:

AIDS is right, the Pink everything is trash and breast cancer "awareness" is basically it's own industry that doesn't do much to help breast cancer.

All the pink poo poo is a crappy gimmick

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Febreeze posted:

AIDS is right, the Pink everything is trash and breast cancer "awareness" is basically it's own industry that doesn't do much to help breast cancer.

quote:

As somebody who has worked in the cancer field, I know that awareness is in fact the reason survival rates have gone up, and quality of life with cancer has improved since the 90's. Let me be perfectly clear: The primary reason more people survive today than in the past is AWARENESS. Understanding cancer, catching it early, and finding preventative and mitigating treatments, has unequivocally helped people live longer and better lives.

Research is of course the priority, and always has been. But do not underestimate the other important factors in cancer care.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Febreeze posted:

The Chargers hosted a free mammogram day last year at some local San Diego hospitals which was much cooler than wearing pink towels

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another thing, I don't really care what dumb play Mike Tomlin or Todd Haley drew up on 4th down. You had 4 quarters to put more points on the board to win it. All this blame on the coach for loving up one play is dumb. Yeah Tomlin is terrible at game managing, especially with using the clock and TOs, but Christ we should have done better during 4 Qs to not even be in that situation. He tried to be cute taking a risk and it backfired, oh loving well.

It doesn't help that Scobee sucked rear end either.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

NC-17 posted:

As somebody who has worked in the cancer field, I know that awareness is in fact the reason survival rates have gone up, and quality of life with cancer has improved since the 90's. Let me be perfectly clear: The primary reason more people survive today than in the past is AWARENESS. Understanding cancer, catching it early, and finding preventative and mitigating treatments, has unequivocally helped people live longer and better lives.

Research is of course the priority, and always has been. But do not underestimate the other important factors in cancer care.

-Dr. Judy Salerno

Nov 6, 2002

The NFL stopped being involved with Komen a few years ago.

quote:

Our campaign, "A Crucial Catch," in partnership with the American Cancer Society, is focused on the importance of regular breast cancer screenings. Throughout October, NFL games will feature players, coaches, and referees wearing pink game apparel, as well as additional on-field and in-stadium branding -- all to help raise awareness for this important campaign. Much of the apparel worn at games by players and coaches, along with special game balls and pink coins, will be auctioned off at NFL Auction, with proceeds benefiting the American Cancer Society's Community Health Advocates implementing Nationwide Grants for Empowerment and Equity (CHANGE) program.

For the past three years, CHANGE grants have been awarded to build community and health system capacity to implement strategies proven to increase access to cancer screenings. CHANGE grant recipients across the nation have reached underserved women through more than 148,000 outreach and education engagements. In addition, grant recipients have provided over 64,000 breast cancer screenings at low or no cost. This life-changing work continues in 2015 with the goal to provide breast cancer education and screening resources to even more women.

The nitty gritty is that the proceeds from pink gear are used to help fund cancer screenings.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Yaws posted:

The Ravens are loving trash. They could barely squeak out a win against a Steelers teams without Fatso and a kicker that seemed determined to lose the game.

Ravens are without Eugene Monroe still and their two best receivers were hurt in this game. So we had our bad breaks too. Roethlisberger is hurt so much that it's just a thing that happens to the Steelers sometimes. He takes a lot of shots and misses games. He's missed enough that you can't hold it against the Ravens every time they happen to be without him.

You can bungle your way to losses against far inferior teams. I thought that outside of the 2nd quarter the Ravens were the better team last night. I think we outgained them by about 100 yards. That's about what it should be. But the Ravens hosed up a few times having some lapses as we have done to lose the previous three games. We just have to stop doing that and we can finish the year with a respectable record. I'll declare us officially back in it if we can climb to 3-3. Then we're truly back!!!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

But what person left in america isn't aware of Breast Cancer? It's the most exposed cancer out there at this point. If they want to help more they need to start raising awareness of other common cancers.

Ross Angeles posted:

The Chargers hosted a free mammogram day last year at some local San Diego hospitals which was much cooler than wearing pink towels

This owns and is way better than selling a pink thing where like .01% of the profits go to something good

Nov 6, 2002

Febreeze posted:

But what person left in america isn't aware of Breast Cancer? It's the most exposed cancer out there at this point. If they want to help more they need to start raising awareness of other common cancers.

I think you're simplying things. Being aware of the existence of a cancer versus knowing your actual risk, when or if you should get screened, where to go, etc are different things. But yes, I agree they could also raise awareness of other cancers, such as colon which is a major killer for men. Maybe they could have a brown month. But of course the NFL already has the male audience in America and now they have their sites set on women which is part of their motivation for joining in on Breast Cancer awareness month anyway.

Febreeze posted:

This owns and is way better than selling a pink thing where .01% of the profits go to actually helping find a cure

Like I posted, they're funding access to screening. If you guys want to be all spergy and jump on the anti-pink bandwagon because not they're not funding research, then I guess go to town.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 2, 2015

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The pink towels looked purple to me when I saw them and I thought they had done some gag to make fun of the Ravens somehow.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Why don't they were blue towels for dick cancer

Just asking questions

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

NC-17 posted:

I think you're simplying things. Being aware of the existence of a cancer versus knowing your actual risk, when or if you should get screened, where to go, etc are different things.

And how does a player wearing pink shoes tell someone when to get screened, where to go, etc? The Broadcasters, TV graphics, website ads on team sites, and information at the stadiums all do far more than pink shoes, and all of those things are welcome.

Do the player pink shoes/gloves/uniform bits even help fund the campaigns? Who bought that pink shoe or did Nike just make it because of the partnership? Did ACS pay the NFL for the right to get the players to wear pink shoes?

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 2, 2015

Nov 6, 2002

Febreeze posted:

And how does a player wearing pink shoes tell someone when to get screened, where to go, etc? The Broadcasters, TV graphics, website ads on team sites, and information at the stadiums all do far more than pink shoes

They sell pink stuff.

Royalties on pink stuff goes to ACS

ACS runs program to educate women on breast cancer and to provide more screenings.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

NC-17 posted:

They sell pink stuff.

Royalties on pink stuff goes to ACS

ACS runs program to educate women on breast cancer and to provide more screenings.

-ACS CEO posting from Learjet

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and another thing, why does Coca Cola advertise? Everyone knows who they are!

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

It's not that it's about research, it's that the nfl takes 77.5 percent of all their sales that they obtain on their pink merchandise.

They claim it's 90% with the caveat that it's 90% of 25% of their sales.

NFL Cancer Awareness Stats

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

OxySnake posted:

It's not that it's about research, it's that the nfl takes 77.5 percent of all their sales that they obtain on their pink merchandise.

NFL Cancer Stats

this is the real lovely part, not "why are my tough football men wearing pink i hate this"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

And how does a player wearing pink shoes tell someone when to get screened, where to go, etc? The Broadcasters, TV graphics, website ads on team sites, and information at the stadiums all do far more than pink shoes, and all of those things are welcome.

Do the player pink shoes even help fund the campaigns? Who bought that pink shoe or did Nike just make it because of the partnership?

So you're saying you think pink gear makes the players look like fags or something?

"I cannot believe I'm watching a football game right now, look at all of this pink poo poo on these grown men, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Alaois posted:

this is the real lovely part, not "why are my tough football men wearing pink i hate this"

Nov 6, 2002

Febreeze posted:

Do the player pink shoes even help fund the campaigns? Who bought that pink shoe or did Nike just make it because of the partnership?

Pink clothing worn by players in games are auctioned. Money goes to ACS.

And obviously players wearing pink in games also acts as advertisement for regular pink gear sold by the NFL ( as opposed to the auctioned stuff).

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Chilichimp posted:

So you're saying you think pink gear makes the players look like fags or something?

"I cannot believe I'm watching a football game right now, look at all of this pink poo poo on these grown men, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

what the gently caress are you on

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Febreeze posted:

You may as well say the same thing about why Coke or McDonalds keeps advertising-it's not enough that everyone knows about it, you have to make sure that they remember it. I can guarantee you that if all the pink poo poo went away, within a few years everyone would forget about breast cancer, screening and prevention would go down, and deaths would go up.

Nov 6, 2002

OxySnake posted:

NFL Cancer Awareness Stats

The NFL does not make the gear. They cannot give away money that goes to their suppliers and distributors. The profit they are making for clothing sales is that 25% royalty fee. They are donating 90% of that.

The NFL does not pull clothing out of the ether, someone makes it and has to be paid. Reebok, etc are all still gonna get their money.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pron on VHS posted:

what the gently caress are you on

I guess I got triggered pretty hard about this.

Sorry bros, lost my Grandma to Breast Cancer. gently caress Cancer.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

I'm not sure how you got this out of what I said. I never said that at all. I have no problems with the color itself, I just think that it looks bad on the field because it doesn't fit the asthetics of most uniforms and it's impact on helping seems minimal at absolute best

It could be bright red/green/orange/etc and I'd have the same problems with it.

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord
THE BROWNS RESCUE DOGS BITCH WHAT NOW

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

I just think that it looks bad on the field because it doesn't fit the asthetics of most uniforms and it's impact on helping seems minimal at absolute best

I got that sentiment, I was just hyperbolizing it.

Sorry, Breezey, see above post.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You may as well say the same thing about why Coke or McDonalds keeps advertising-it's not enough that everyone knows about it, you have to make sure that they remember it. I can guarantee you that if all the pink poo poo went away, within a few years everyone would forget about breast cancer, screening and prevention would go down, and deaths would go up.

Your point about breast cancer is correct but coke and McDonalds really don't need to advertise

Nov 6, 2002

McDonalds does cause they hosed son.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Your point about breast cancer is correct but coke and McDonalds really don't need to advertise

McDonalds needs to stop advertising so people forget about it, also gently caress McDonalds.

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord
my mom is a breast cancer survivor and she feels like just because someone beat cancer doesnt mean they need to "flaunt it"

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord
love ya mom

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Notable Dom X posted:

my mom is a breast cancer survivor and she feels like just because someone beat cancer doesnt mean they need to "flaunt it"

My mom is the same.

Can't stand all the pink stuff in Oct. Says she doesn't want to remember all that bull.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

OxySnake posted:

My mom is the same.

Can't stand all the pink stuff in Oct. Says she doesn't want to remember all that bull.

Onbviously this is acedotal so it doesn't mean much but both my grandmothers currently are fighting it, I have multiple friends with relatives fighting it, and my girlfriend's mom is a survivor

they all hate the pink poo poo. I guess it's just a matter of being unable to determine to what degree this awareness thing helps, because for the most part it seems like it just benefits companies selling products more than anything cancer related. At this point it really feels like pink is a business more than a supportive thing.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 2, 2015

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Was that for real?

Nov 6, 2002

^^ No.

Febreeze posted:

I guess it's just a matter of being unable to determine to what degree this awareness thing helps, because for the most part it seems like it just benefits companies selling products more than anything cancer related.

I mean to a degree I understand. Because clearly the NFL's motive in this is the great PR and to make in-roads with a female audience. But at the end of the day, they're still doing good by raising money to fight a disease. So it seems a little silly to be up in arms about it.

I think it's been kind of trendy on the internet the last few years to bash "awareness" campaigns, regardless of what they actually do.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 2, 2015

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Josh Scobee is an incel

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

NC-17 posted:

^^ No.

I mean to a degree I understand. Because clearly the NFL's motive in this is the great PR and to make in-roads with a female audience. But at the end of the day, I think it's an overall good thing. So it seems ridiculous to be up in arms over a corporation raising money to fight a disease.

Dang it. I missed most of the game but what I did see was so direly and utterly bad.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I'm with Febreeze on this.
I have been made aware of breast cancer. Thank you NFL you have succeeded!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I'm just excited for teams to wear green and gold stuff in honor of draft kings awareness month in November

• Locked thread