Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

shadok posted:

I thought ALCS HFA was a lock, it's the ALDS we want to secure.

Wait, no, I have it backwards again. This was all easier when I was a kid, before your fancy central divisions and interleague play.

On the other hand I agree that Joe West is an idiot.

ALDS HFA is secure. ALCS HFA is secure unless the Jays play the Royals and even then, the Jays have a 1 game lead and win the tiebreaker, so they're still in good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Some Numbers posted:

ALDS HFA is secure. ALCS HFA is secure unless the Jays play the Royals and even then, the Jays have a 1 game lead and win the tiebreaker, so they're still in good shape.

We actually have identical records as of today, but they have to beat us by a game to get HFA, right?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Dr. Tommy John posted:

We actually have identical records as of today, but they have to beat us by a game to get HFA, right?

Yeah, the Jays won the season series, so same record = Jays HFA

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Where'd you see this?

MLBTV's report from the locker room last night was talking about Gardner ripping goggles away from rookies (this will shock you but Harold Reynolds was also Anti-Goggle). I think I saw it on twitter too.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

I don't think they have the 1 game lead any more but I agree they're still in great shape.

I understand that baseball is baseball but I feel more confidence in this post-All-Star Blue Jays team than any Blue Jays team that has ever been, including the 92 and 93 championship squads.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Right, I forgot the Royals won yesterday. So yeah, if the Jays keep pace with or overtake the Royals, they get HFA. If and only if the Royals overtake the Jays, they Royals get it.

And that's also assuming the Royals win the ALDS.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Some Numbers posted:

Right, I forgot the Royals won yesterday. So yeah, if the Jays keep pace with or overtake the Royals, they get HFA. If and only if the Royals overtake the Jays, they Royals get it.

And that's also assuming the Royals win the ALDS.

It really looks like it'll come down to whether they play the respectful Rangers or the wrong-way Astros. They'll have to put a lot of men on base against the stros to teach lessons, big disadvantage imo.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Please god of dingers let the Jays face the Yankees-without-Tanaka for the ALDS. Amen.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh yeah, I guess that relevant too. The record also determines if they face the Wild Card or the West Champion.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dr. Tommy John posted:

It really looks like it'll come down to whether they play the respectful Rangers or the wrong-way Astros. They'll have to put a lot of men on base against the stros to teach lessons, big disadvantage imo.

Twins Bullshit decrees that we sweep this series against the Royals to make the playoffs before being devastated by the Yankees, so it'll be Texas.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
If the Twins sweep the Royals now they'll be baseball heroes (in Canada).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

MourningView posted:

MLBTV's report from the locker room last night was talking about Gardner ripping goggles away from rookies (this will shock you but Harold Reynolds was also Anti-Goggle). I think I saw it on twitter too.

GoggleGate

Jesus why are baseballers so loving stupid sometimes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

We did really good, team

Harlock fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 2, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bregor posted:

GoggleGate

"Goggles are for pussies." - Ryne Duren

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

In my brain Brett Gardner is perpetually the 26 year old proving-himself guy and not the crotchety old baseball rear end in a top hat veteran aka a guy exactly my age.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Harlock posted:

We did really good, team

Good god, the Nationals

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

No one saw the Mets surge or saw the Nationals collapse coming. That's fantastic.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Nats are a completely defensible pick even in highsight. Cleveland, on the other hand...

Oh god the Marlins and Padres WC.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Some Numbers posted:

No one saw the Mets surge or saw the Nationals collapse coming. That's fantastic.

Baseball.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Harlock posted:

We did really good, team

Rand could very well get the second AL WC right at least :shobon:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

We did really good, team

Shoutout to Manifunk Destiny for predicting the Dodgers to win the NL West by so much that they win the AL West as well.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
I still don't get why people picked the Padres, virtually everything had to break right for that team to be any good.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Harlock posted:

We did really good, team

Oh, San Diego..

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

Shoutout to Manifunk Destiny for predicting the Dodgers to win the NL West by so much that they win the AL West as well.
I proofed it like 5 times and fixed kalensc already. Jerk.

0 people picked Texas to even make playoffs.
1 person picked the Mets, Astros, or Twins in any capacity.
3 people picked the Cubs.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 2, 2015

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

You picked the Twins ironically right

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
All aboard the Jays bandwagon, choo choo

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Harlock posted:

I proofed it like 5 times and fixed kalensc already. Jerk.

0 people picked Texas to even make playoffs.
1 person picked the Mets, Astros, or Twins in any capacity.

I know it's an odd year and all but only one person picked the Giants to make the playoffs, that surprises me with two wild card spots.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I know it's an odd year and all but only one person picked the Giants to make the playoffs, that surprises me with two wild card spots.
2015 NL Offseason Champions - San Diego padres.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bregor posted:

GoggleGate

This is such an intensely stupid Unwritten Rule that it wraps around to being really really funny.

The words "feel the sting of victory" were used unironically

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bradzilla posted:

You picked the Twins ironically right

From my meet the teams post

quote:

Final Thoughts
The Twins offense was pretty good last year and I think it will probably at worst hold fast. Some guys are due for regression but I think as many should regress up as down. The pitching was soooooo bad and basically it can’t get worse which, in theory, more wins. Vegas has the Twins o/u at 74.5 last I saw but I’m going to take the over because we’re gonna bullshit our way to an 88 win division title I think with a little luck they can break .500 but will probably end up around 77 wins.

So I just doubled down in the predictions thread because why not. (Also I expected the Royals to regress, the Tigers to fall apart, the White Sox to be the White Sox, and Cleveland to improve only a little, so why not).

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 2, 2015

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

MourningView posted:

Also apparently the older Yankees got super Spray The Champagne The Right Way about guys wearing goggles during the celebration which is really funny.

vs

A Valid Argument

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

Who was that dude who everyone bashed before the season because he said something about the Rangers having a good chance to make the playoffs "if a few things go their way".

He's probably pretty :smug: right now.

The Rangers never had a chance to compete with true juggernauts like the Seattle Mariners. What fools they were, not trading Adrian Beltre before a single game was played

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Harlock posted:

:c00l:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Marioinblack with a swing and a miss.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There was not a goon among them who could foresee the two-pronged assault upon the Nationals that was Williams and Papelbon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm really confused why so many posters thought Cleveland would do anything.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

N: David Price would vote for Keuchel for the AL CYA

V: David Price is a cool guy. But also weird since apparently he named his CYA "Clarence" :stare:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FlamingLiberal posted:

Expectations of the Royals to not bullshitting their way to the playoffs, Tigers being Tigers, White Sox being an unknown, and the Twins being a tire fire. From some angles, they appeared as the least-worst team in a division of garbage. (Those angles being repetitive coin-flips.)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cleveland had the best team ERA+ in the AL this year, they just couldn't hit.

• Locked thread