Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Joe Girardi was fired before winning the Manager of the Year award for that year. Does that count?

John Wilkes Booth posted:

The Marlins fired Joe Girardi the same year he won MotY in 2006 because... it's the Marlins.

Ice To Meet You posted:

Ha, I forgot about this.

Definitely not in the spirit of, "lovely manager that wins the award but still gets canned" that I was thinking of, but absolutely amazing in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Retail Slave posted:

Also to be honest, if I were Steve Bartman I'd give the entire city of Chicago a giant gently caress YOU if the Cubs won the series.

After the poo poo they did to that guy I don't blame him. If at some point he comes back in some capacity, then he's a better man than I would be.

It's fun to daydream but the Cubs don't actually win World Series

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Peter Angelos firing Davey Johnson the same day that Johnson won the award in 1997 but that's in the same category as Girardi.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Do teams make each-other aware of what the batting line-up is and who is playing what positions, before the game? Is this information that is supposed to be released or something, or are you allowed to surprise?

Is it a sign of disrespect to have someone get walked in front of you in the batting lineup? (I'm thinking this shows that the pitcher doesn't consider you as much of a threat, was wondering if players take this personally)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Retail Slave posted:

Meanwhile, Alex Gonzalez and Dusty Baker should be hit by the same car.

Not really, but gently caress Game 6.

And Thom Brennaman while we're at it

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Reminder that all games for the next three days are free to watch on mlb.tv. Blackout rules still apply.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Do teams make each-other aware of what the batting line-up is and who is playing what positions, before the game? Is this information that is supposed to be released or something, or are you allowed to surprise?

Is it a sign of disrespect to have someone get walked in front of you in the batting lineup? (I'm thinking this shows that the pitcher doesn't consider you as much of a threat, was wondering if players take this personally)
Managers exchange lineup cards and give official ones to the umpire prior to the game.

These days, line ups get posted to twitter several hours before the game. It's public information.

Intentional walks aren't a huge deal to the next batter coming up. No one throws a hissyfit about it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Baseball lineups don't typically change much from day to day, most teams know who they'll be facing long in advance. Each team manager has to give their starting batting order to the umpire before the game starts because you're not allowed to change it once it's set.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Intentional walks in the NL are usually because the pitcher is on deck. It can also happen if the guy at the plate has no "protection" meaning they are a dangerous hitter but the guy behind them not so much or are an opposite match up (lefty hitting a righty pitcher vice versa) and the next guy batting is a righty.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Bregor posted:

And Thom Brennaman while we're at it

Meh, I always liked Brennaman when he worked for the Cubs and called the middle innings with Steve Stone while Harry went over to radio.

Of course, I was 10, so what the gently caress did I know?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea Bartman doesn't give a gently caress, and why would he care that a bunch of strangers want to publicly apologize for what other strangers did a decade ago? The only point is to let cubs and their fans feel better about themselves.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Wrong MLB thread

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I still see at least one person dressed as Bartman for Halloween every single year.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I still see at least one person dressed as Bartman for Halloween every single year.

Man, I wish I lived in a town that gave even one tenth of one gently caress about baseball.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sandpuppy posted:

Man, I wish I lived in a town that gave even one tenth of one gently caress about baseball.

It's a really lazy costume. Just about everyone in Chicago has a cubs hat, a pair of glasses, and a walkman lying around.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
imo the Cubs should get eliminated asap so people will shut the gently caress up about back to the future

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Groucho Marxist posted:

imo the Cubs should get eliminated asap so people will shut the gently caress up about back to the future

Apparently we brought in the loving actor who played Biff in a DeLorean today :negative:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Miller Park is Wrigley North.

I love it.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I'm at Safeco and there's a self-serve frozen yogurt station, which is the perfect touch of weird for this place.

Unrelated but also kinda related: the Coliseum is trash.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Poque posted:

Apparently we brought in the loving actor who played Biff in a DeLorean today :negative:

I thought that guy hated being associated almost exclusively with Back to the Future

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Poque posted:

They didn't bring him in on a hoverboard?

Cubs jinx renewed.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

I thought that guy hated being associated almost exclusively with Back to the Future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwY5o2fsG7Y

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
If I was Steve Bartman and the Cubs invited me on the field after they won the World Series, I would go on the field because come on man, just do it. Also, I'd accept the millions of dollars in endorsements because what the hell, dude, do you not like financial security?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Groucho Marxist posted:

this guy knows what's up

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Tonight Chris Sale set the White Sox single season record for strikeouts. Ed Walsh had 269 in 464 innings in 1908, Sale got his 270th strikeout in 203 innings.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Crimson Sox posted:

Anybody know what the deal is w/ MLB.TV and WC & Playoff games?
is there a separate package? is it blacked out entirely or blacked out only in US?

I canceled cable this year so very curios to see what my options are
As someone who recently cut his cable I'm in a similar boat; is mlb.tv for the postseason really only $3.99? I do have a VPN that lets me go outside the US so that sounds tempting..

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Tavarin posted:

Tonight Chris Sale set the White Sox single season record for strikeouts. Ed Walsh had 269 in 464 innings in 1908, Sale got his 270th strikeout in 203 innings.

:toot: at least there are a few things worth watching

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

As someone who recently cut his cable I'm in a similar boat; is mlb.tv for the postseason really only $3.99? I do have a VPN that lets me go outside the US so that sounds tempting..

If you already have the VPN you're half way there, that price is right.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Popete posted:

If you already have the VPN you're half way there, that price is right.

So do you need a VPN or something? I'm a computer moron and it seems really hard and I'd screw something up.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

So do you need a VPN or something? I'm a computer moron and it seems really hard and I'd screw something up.

Unblock.us is pretty simple and the site gives you step-by-step instructions

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Retail Slave posted:

Yes unblock-us. It's five bucks a month. Takes two seconds to setup. Works on any device that lets you change the DNS settings.

edit: Arrieta finished the season with a sub 2 ERA. Pirates are so hosed Wednesday.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 3, 2015

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

edit: Arrieta finished the season with a sub 2 ERA. Pirates are so hosed Wednesday.

ehhhhhhh

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I am not surprised that the team with 12 straight losses blew a 4-run lead and lost their 13th in a row. And I've been a Cubs fan long enough to know not to get my hopes up too much about Arrieta in the Wild Card game.

If Greinke gives up 4 ER tomorrow, even if he goes 9 innings, he will have a higher ERA than Arrieta for the season.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Senf posted:

I'm at Safeco and there's a self-serve frozen yogurt station, which is the perfect touch of weird for this place.

Unrelated but also kinda related: the Coliseum is trash.

Some Numbers, Waddley Hasslehoff and myself are up at 349. Come have a shot of tequila with me!

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There was a guy named Spud Chandler

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

What is the case for Greinke over Arrieta? (meaning the case for why he will win the Cy Young, not why he should) Best I can tell Arrieta is basically equal in traditional stats (ERA is pretty close, Arrieta has WINS), and has the edge in advanced stats. He also has the narrative bonus.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

There was a guy named Spud Chandler

show some respect, it was the war and they needed all the good names at the front

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

show some respect, it was the war and they needed all the good names at the front

What are you talking about that's a fantastic name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Intruder posted:

What are you talking about that's a fantastic name

Spurgeon Ferdinand "Spud" Chandler

Who had it better than him?

• Locked thread