Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Zamboni Jesus posted:

apparently buehrle is going to try to get 2 innings tomorrow to get himself to 200 again and then retire. kind of weird trying to get him to a meaningless milestone when the game still has relevance in terms of home field advantage.

They have guaranteed HFA for the ALDS and the WS, and HFA for the ALCS against everybody but the Royals. Frankly I'm more excited to see Buehrle go into the record books and watch Eddie try for his 40th HR. A win would be nice too but whatever.

AL East champs, playoffs baby! :bandwagon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Always lovely when sub-90 win teams make the playoffs.

It's lovely when only 2 of the teams with the 3 best records in all of baseball get to make the NLDS, and only 1 gets to make the NLCS. :mad:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Always lovely when sub-90 win teams make the playoffs.

You mean literally every playoffs?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

MassaShowtime posted:

2013 had zero sub-90 win teams make the playoffs:

BOS 97
OAK 96
DET 93
CLE 92
TBR 92

STL 97
ATL 96
LAD 92
PIT 94
CIN 90

E: so did 2011 and 2010 and 2004 and 2002 and 1999 in the post-WC era

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 4, 2015

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MassaShowtime posted:

Maybe he stopped paying attention to baseball in 1993 and is just now coming back?

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
congrats to the Phillies for locking up the #1 overall pick for next year's draft

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassaShowtime posted:

It always sucks.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's lovely when only 2 of the teams with the 3 best records in all of baseball get to make the NLDS, and only 1 gets to make the NLCS. :mad:

Maybe your dumb team should make the playoffs more.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

OdinsBeard posted:

Maybe your dumb team should make the playoffs more.

I would like this very much, yes.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Some people might say that some of those teams padded their records a bit with easy wins against the sub-400 dumpster fire that is the bottom of the NL. Not me, of course. Just some people.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I would like this very much, yes.

I want to live in a world where my 5 year old daughter in 2020 can't understand the concept of the Cubs being lovable losers

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

shadok posted:

Some people might say that some of those teams padded their records a bit with easy wins against the sub-400 dumpster fire that is the bottom of the NL. Not me, of course. Just some people.

The Pirates sure didn't

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

shadok posted:

by that metric the Mets and Nats should both be 110 win teams

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

shadok posted:

The Cubs, Pirates, and Cardinals went 17-3 against the Mets and 13-7 against the Dodgers.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Pancakes posted:

There were six no-hitters this year in the NL to date. Every team that was no-hit in the NL is going to the post-season. The only post-season NL team that was not no-hit? The Cardinals. I'd be kind of fine with Shelby no-hitting the Cards tomorrow, to be honest.

Shelby no-hits the Cards, still manages to lose

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

shadok posted:

If I remember right, the Pirates went something like 3-90 against the Brewers and Reds combined.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

quote:

WHAT'S NEXT
Blue Jays: The Blue Jays have yet to announce a starter for Sunday's 2:10 p.m. ET regular-season finale against the Rays. Right-hander Drew Hutchison is the favourite to start

Welp congrats Royals then. Ah well.

The only really fault I can find with how Gibby managed the roster the past few games was maybe using Osuna yesterday with a 4 run lead. I wasn't happy with the Bisons playing in Baltimore 2 games in a row, but Gibby's response made sense - he wanted to give the team one day off after clinching, and playing them in either game would nix that. Just the luck of lovely weather - hell their 'day off' was sitting shivering in a dugout in inches of water for hours on end. Plus the Royals were coming out of a lovely stretch with their pitching staff, they were bound to string together some solid performances.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

CubsWoo posted:

2013 had zero sub-90 win teams make the playoffs:

BOS 97
OAK 96
DET 93
CLE 92
TBR 92

STL 97
ATL 96
LAD 92
PIT 94
CIN 90

E: so did 2011 and 2010 and 2004 and 2002 and 1999 in the post-WC era

Huh well then.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

MassaShowtime posted:

Yes.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The dumpster fire of the Brewers and Reds and their combined .4099 win percentage against the sterling combined .4107 win percentage of the Marlins, Braves and Phillies

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs, Pirates, and Cardinals went 17-3 against the Mets and 13-7 against the Dodgers.

I'm not denying the tragedy of the NL Central or that the Cubs, Cardinals and Pirates all deserve full playoff series, in a more perfect world.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

We also all played one another very closely. Cubs/Pirates and Cardinals/Cubs season series had 11-8 splits while Cards/Pirates was at 10-9. I think the NL Central as the best and toughest division this year is difficult to dispute in good faith.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The Cubs allowed 34 runs in 4 games against the second-worst team in the AL, I think it's clear that their pitching just isn't that good.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Carlton Banks posted:

Shelby no-hits the Cards, still manages to lose

That would be fantastic. It'd be an official no-hitter too, since he'd be able to go the full 9 innings.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

We also all played one another very closely. Cubs/Pirates and Cardinals/Cubs season series had 11-8 splits while Cards/Pirates was at 10-9. I think the NL Central as the best and toughest division this year is difficult to dispute in good faith.

NL Central won 237 games outside of the division, second place was AL East with 229. NL East won 182.

Ice To Meet You posted:

The Cubs allowed 34 runs in 4 games against the second-worst team in the AL, I think it's clear that their pitching just isn't that good.

I think we were responsible for like 4 unforgivable Nick Castellanos homers

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Times in the LCS-only era the top 3 teams came from the same league:

1980 (NYY BAL KCR)
1982 (MIL BAL CAL)
1983 (CHW BAL DET)
1993 (ATL SFG PHI)

Times in the LDS era the top 3 teams came from the same league:

2001 (SEA OAK NYY)
2007 (BOS CLE LAA NYY)
2015 (STL PIT CHC)

Times in the LDS era the top 3 teams came from the same division:

2015 (STL PIT CHC)

I think there's an argument to be made the the 2015 NL Central is the greatest division in baseball history alongside the 2001 AL West and maybe the 1993 NL West

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 4, 2015

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Cardinals only had a losing record against the Tigers, Padres and possibly the Braves this year (currently .500 with a meaningless doubleheader tomorrow). Turns out the scrubs were actually feasting on them.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Updated for LAD win:

CubsWoo posted:

Games that matter tomorrow assuming current scores hold:

NL:

STL has clinched NLDS and NLCS home field.
LAD has clinched NLDS home field vs. NYM.
NYM has clinched NL East.
PIT and CHC have both clinched at least WC2.

CHC@MIL and CIN@PIT - PIT needs win OR CHC loss to clinch WC1. CHC needs win + PIT loss to clinch WC1 due to H2H vs. PIT

AL:

TOR and KC have clinched ALDS home field.
NYY has clinched at least WC2.
TEX has clinched at least WC2.

TOR@TB and KC@MIN - KC needs win OR TOR loss to clinch home field for all playoff rounds. TOR needs win + KC loss for home field for all playoff rounds due to H2H vs. KC.

NYY@BAL - NYY clinches WC1 with win, HOU loss tonight or HOU loss tomorrow.

HOU clinch tie for a WC spot with a win tonight (currently leading.) If results hold:

HOU@ARI - HOU clinch WC spot outright with win. Clinch at least WC1 with win and NYY loss. Play one-game AL West playoff @TEX with win + TEX loss vs. LAA. Clinch WC2 spot with LAA loss @TEX. Will play play-in for WC2 at home vs. LAA with loss + LAA win.

LAA@TEX - TEX clinch AL West with win or HOU loss. Play one-game AL West playoff vs. HOU with loss + HOU win.
LAA play play-in game for WC2 @HOU with win + HOU loss.

If TEX and HOU play a one-game playoff for the AL West, the loser will host NYY as the WC1 team since both have favorable H2H vs. NYY if NYY loses @BAL, otherwise NYY hosts.

If results do NOT hold:

TEX clinches AL West.
HOU@ARI - HOU clinch WC2 spot with win + LAA loss @TEX. Will host play-in for WC2 at home vs. LAA if HOU and LAA both win or both lose.
LAA@TEX - LAA clinch WC2 spot with win + HOU loss @ARI. Will play play-in for WC2 @HOU if HOU and LAA both win or both lose.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 4, 2015

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

So the Tigers beat all the top teams in the NL, I think we know who the real best team is.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If the Cubs win and the Pirates lose tomorrow, the NL WC game will be played at Wrigley. :getin:

If only the Reds hadn't blown a 4-run lead yesterday, then the Cubs would control their own destiny tomorrow. :negative:

Dear sweet mother of God, go Reds.

Who's pitching tomorrow? Haren?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Haren is the scheduled starter (pray for Lester on short rest maybe)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ice To Meet You posted:

So the Tigers beat all the top teams in the NL, I think we know who the real best team is.

remember when you were 11-2 with a +34 differential?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mets gave away home field by being unable to put away two poo poo teams. Can't wait for the 3 game sweep.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Poque posted:

remember when you were 11-2 with a +34 differential?

It turns out you need to have more than one competent pitcher on the team at a time.

On that note, Justin Verlander finishes the year with a 2.26 ERA in his last 14 starts, which I believe is best in the AL between those arbitrary endpoints. Also a .207 batting average against him.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 4, 2015

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

CubsWoo posted:

Times in the LCS-only era the top 3 teams came from the same league:

1980 (NYY BAL KCR)
1982 (MIL BAL CAL)
1983 (CHW BAL DET)
1993 (ATL SFG PHI)

Times in the LDS era the top 3 teams came from the same league:

2001 (SEA OAK NYY)
2007 (BOS CLE LAA NYY)
2015 (STL PIT CHC)

Times in the LDS era the top 3 teams came from the same division:

2015 (STL PIT CHC)

I think there's an argument to be made the the 2015 NL Central is the greatest division in baseball history alongside the 2001 AL West and maybe the 1993 NL West

Is it that or is it that there are a poo poo load of awful teams in the NL this year.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

Updated for LAD win:

Toronto won the season series 4-3 so Toronto and KC should be swapped there.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

MagicCube posted:

Toronto won the season series 4-3 so Toronto and KC should be swapped there.

It should be correct since KCR is 1 game up on TOR with 1 to play. TOR only gets home field if records are tied so a KCR win or TOR loss gives it to KCR.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

It should be correct since KCR is 1 game up on TOR with 1 to play. TOR only gets home field if records are tied so a KCR win or TOR loss gives it to KCR.

Oh my bad, stopped watching the Jays game and didn't realize they blew it tonight.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
The Houston Astros will play at least 163 meaningful games this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

CubsWoo posted:

TOR only gets home field if records are tied so a KCR win or TOR loss gives it to KCR.

This is correct. Toronto wins the AL only if they win tomorrow and the Royals lose.

• Locked thread