Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Picks will be made TOMORROW MORNING. Finish up submissions (with at least one line of background) by then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Working on a backup Human Hero too.

STR 16
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 10

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes

Skills: 35
Balance, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Sense Motive, Tumble, UMD at 5 ranks

Scheme for 6th level:
Feats: add Improved Bull Rush, Improved Trip, Shock Trooper
Ironwood Changeling Shortspear +1 4301
Variable Spiked Mithral Buckler +1 5025

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 14, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Got a short background up. Sorry that took so long.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

In the end I wasn't able to make a character I was hugely interested in playing. Have fun everyone.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
PICKS

Vicissitude playing Roarke Nissil the Battlemind
Ryuujin playing The Animal the Shapeshifter
zachol playing Val the Skirmisher
Cuchulain playing Khaemwaset the Scarred the Hero/Disciple (Note: you will be expected to continue with Disciple levels)
Poison Mushroom playing Crimson Calliope the Hero
Bouquet playing Klem Hardnose the Avenger

Thread is up!

We'll use this thread of OOC discussion of class balance issues.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:toot: Whoo!

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Grats, y'all. Kick butt.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
:toot: Aw yeah baby.

Also still operating under the assumption that Disciples have Low reflex saves.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 14, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This might be the first 3.5e game I've ever played in where I thought "man, I really want a Ring of Feather Fall".

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Just looking the characters over initially, the one thing that jumped out at me immediately was that a 300 gp Magebred Clawfoot is notably scarier than a level 2 Shapeshifter. I'm not sure if that reflects more on Shapeshifter being weak or Magebred plus low-level pets/mounts being too cheap for their power. The Shapeshifter will of course get way more versatile and powerful over the next two levels while the dinosaur will be static.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Bouquet posted:

Just looking the characters over initially, the one thing that jumped out at me immediately was that a 300 gp Magebred Clawfoot is notably scarier than a level 2 Shapeshifter. I'm not sure if that reflects more on Shapeshifter being weak or Magebred plus low-level pets/mounts being too cheap for their power. The Shapeshifter will of course get way more versatile and powerful over the next two levels while the dinosaur will be static.

3.5 Mounts are very, very silly.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
A mule costs 8 gp

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm mostly interested in CLW potions, since they have a billion uses, but I'd also be interested in Shield of Faith potions, Grease oil, and once we get a bit tougher, there's a lot of second level potions I wouldn't mind seeing in the stashes. (Delay Poison is one of those things you don't really need until you suddenly do, and me being the hardest character to kill makes me a decent choice to be the miscellaneous potion cart.)

Basically what I'm saying is that since I'm not as pressed for making sure my weapons are up to date, I wouldn't mind a significant chunk of my gold per level being in consumables.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 15, 2015

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
You guys can buy pretty much whatever you want. To simulate random loot drops, every level-up you'll get the increase for gold-by-level and I'll be randomly generating a moderate list of gear that you can buy at half-price.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Piell posted:

You guys can buy pretty much whatever you want. To simulate random loot drops, every level-up you'll get the increase for gold-by-level and I'll be randomly generating a moderate list of gear that you can buy at half-price.

CLW wands are 750 right? Poison Mushroom and I are about 100g short of one.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 15, 2015

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I can bump in like 120 gp.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Poison Mushroom you need 750, not 350.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

poo poo. :doh: I must have been thinking crafting cost.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

It's ok, Ryuujin has a bunch of money left over. :)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah did you have enough for a wand? Or are you still quite short? I mean I have enough I could just buy the wand. Because I spent very little because I don't need a bunch of non magical gear, and need lots of gold to start enchanting my body, once we hit third level.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have two seventy, so I dunno how we'd best split it up.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Ryuu should save his cash for his self-enchantments, but if he gives 60 that will make up the difference for the wand.

390 from Me, 200 from Poison Mushroom, 100 from Zachol, and 60 from Ryuu is 750, just enough for me to gently caress off and grab a wand, and leaves us all a few gold for mundane supplies.

I'm just gonna assume that's cool and do that, if anyone doesn't :justpost:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Also you guys should give me a marching order (or at least tell me if you want to be in the front/middle/back).

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Cleric in the middle sos I can touch you all easier :q: Touch range less important since I can lob weak heals with Divine Recovery, but still.

I just noticed Disciples get spontaneous casting! :toot:

If anyone is wondering about the Lamps, unlike torches you can put a Lamp down and have it cast light pretty much indefinitely, and nobody has Blindfight.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 15, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd like to be in the front. I have a pretty great Reflex save, decent Spot/Listen and a high AC, and not terrible Touch and FF ACs. Plus good initiative, so I'll be out of your way fast.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I'd be good at front or middle. Tanky and many dino attacks if in front, reach weapon and benefits from charging if in middle. If a back person is needed, can do that too. Sling!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I would kind of like being toward the front simply because I am not really all that good at ranged, or like at all capable of ranged. My AC is not too bad when transformed, though inferior to Crimson by a few points. But yeah even transformed I seem to be inferior to the dino at the moment.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Ryuujin posted:

I would kind of like being toward the front simply because I am not really all that good at ranged, or like at all capable of ranged. My AC is not too bad when transformed, though inferior to Crimson by a few points. But yeah even transformed I seem to be inferior to the dino at the moment.

It really seems like the whole point of shapeshifter is versatility and never being useless. To that end it seems worthwhile for you to get a heavy crossbow. You can load it out of combat, carry it around in human form, fire once and shift or shift immediately and have the option to fire at anything running away.

In terms of order, how about this:

Front: The Animal, Calliope
Middle: Klem, Khaemwaset
Back: Val, Roarke

Roarke is more of a melee type, but we've got a surfeit of melee types, so I guess she is rear guard.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 16, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That works for me. I can even be a square or two ahead of everyone else, if you'd rather put Roarke in my spot.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I can move wherever works best. I'm going to be mobile anyway, so anywhere is okay.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Great, let's do it Piell!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not on my desktop right now, but I will add the sheet to my post later today unless something crazy happens.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I don't want to clutter up the main thread with all this pedantry, but here's the math behind "we are poo poo at search":

CR2 traps from DMG have following Search DC: (20+26+24+26+20+20+20+22+18+15+27)/11 = 21.6363636363636

Val's chance to find a trap randomly chosen from the DMG traps: (.2+0+0+0+.2+.2+.2+.1+.3+.45+0)/11 = 0.15

I didn't do the math, but CR1 aren't a ton easier, so she's maybe getting up to 25%.

Doesn't seem worth slowing down for.

If Val and The Animal max out Search between now and level 4 she will have +9 and he will have +8:

CR4 traps from DMG have following Search DC: (28+25+20+28+28+20+21+28+20+21+17+18)/12 = 22.8333333333333

Val's chance: (.1+.25+.5+.1+.1+.5+.45+.1+.5+.45+.65+.6)/12 = 0.358333333333333
Animal's chance: 0.308333
Combined chance: (1-0.358)*(1-.308) = 0.444264

If we assume some Aid Anothers from the row behind them, we could maybe bump that up another .05-.07 depending on the INT of the aides. That gets us pretty close to 50-50. Given that at CR4 there might reasonably be a scattering of lower CR traps in the mix, that's probably worth taking the sixfold reduction to our travel speed (Lowest speed in the group is 30'.) but I'm not feeling it for 15%. This, in a nutshell, is why experienced players tend not to get excited about a character class having Trapfinding, whether they've consciously done the math or just have the general feeling that it's usually not worth it.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Updated Khaemwaset's character sheet in the game thread, and I've rolled a second (ranged minmaxed combat-monkey) Disciple if things go south.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 16, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I added my sheet. Let me know if I forgot anything, I kind of did it manually.

Edit I just noticed this might be the first character I've ever played where I want to take the Dodge/Mobility feat tree. Can Mobile Fighter count as Spring Attack for feat prereqs? They're basically identical, and I really want Whirlwind Attack. If not, that's cool, it's not like I'm exactly short on feats anyways.

Edit 2 Would it be alright if I traded out Sense Motive for Tumble, Piell? I just realized it's a class skill for me, and how useful it'd be.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 16, 2015

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I'm 90% sure we're all going to blindly wander past the Choker thanks to our dismal spot checks. Also our party is ridiculous looking.

And I had nothing better to do, so I made a sketch.

Does anyone have like, Knowledge Dungeoneering or something that might help us avoid getting Wallmaster'd by the Choker? Aberrations don't fall under Nature or Religion or anything AFAIK

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 17, 2015

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Beautiful :3:

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Amazing Cuchulain!

We're brainstorming a bit about some minor things that might be nice additions to shapeshifter in #redhandofdoom on irc.synirc.net. Everyone in the game should pop in when/if convenient. Always makes coordinating stuff easier.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Magnificent.

Yeah, Val has Knowledge (dungeoneering) at a big +1. Survival at +8, but that's already popped for rat tracks.
...she's good in the forest, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is the best. :3:

• Locked thread