Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Hmm this is still a pretty skinny butt, this man has no power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
tezzor, have you considered the fact that the U.S. government indeed actually does understand how hypocritical we are, and in fact just plainly don't give a poo poo? it's all loving stupid bullshit theater, you just need to say the right things and you can get away with anything.

like how if you ever start a bar fight just keep screaming "stop hitting me, why are you attack me" while pummeling the poo poo out of the other dude, and witnesses will only remember what they heard, thinking the other was the aggressor

we're not stupid, we're incompetently evil

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Airborne Viking posted:

I only saw Rambo 3 a few years ago and holy poo poo seeing that was amazing.

First Blood was the best Rambo, though.

newer releases cut it.

it's sad

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

You remember the nerve gas thing that was pretty extreme

yeah was gonna say this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aum_Shinrikyo

also there are occasional weirdos, whether far-right or just insane, who try to restore the emperor, like yukio mishima

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

why are there no japenese extremist groups. japs can be extreme if they want to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df7jOd6HcIY

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Eat obamas rear end like groceries

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To be honest though all those rebel groups are still marginally less poo poo than Assad therefore who loving cares what's hypocritical or not? Defending Assad is a loss for everyone except Mr KGB shithead.

Human lives > double standards on the world stage

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Strategic Tea posted:

To be honest though all those rebel groups are still marginally less poo poo than Assad therefore who loving cares what's hypocritical or not? Defending Assad is a loss for everyone except Mr KGB shithead.

Actually the way it works is the us is the bitch of israel and Saudis so death to the alawite kuffir scum

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Suitaru posted:

yeah was gonna say this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aum_Shinrikyo

also there are occasional weirdos, whether far-right or just insane, who try to restore the emperor, like yukio mishima

Hey man, the emperor is a powerful man. It's cool that Japan's imperial family's line goes beyond history to the point where the current emperor is a guy in a palace, goes back in an unbroken line where the first one was descended from the Sun God.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I won't be satisfied till we get US v Russia fighter jets dog fighting Tom Cruise style

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

1) I'm not sure that's true. The rebel groups that are still at all capable of doing anything on the ground (other than the Kurds if they even count) are not better than Assad by any margin, they're just weaker.
2) People there are going to keep dying either way, no matter who wins or, more likely, fails to lose and keeps fighting.
3) The ideal situation would be if someone from outside actually invaded properly and removed both Assad and his enemies but that's not going to happen so after that the best case is IS runs out of steam and everyone else settles down in a slow-burning anarchy.

Basically if you wanted to remove Assad, should've done that long ago, it's too late for it to be a change for the better now. As far as I see it anyway, maybe I missed some amazing replacement Assad everyone would gladly rally around.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I actually think the evil dictator who loves sarin gas and throwing barrels full of explosives out of helicopters onto schools and hospitals is the lesser evil compared to ISIS. Middle eastern countries need brutal strong man dictators to keep the religious crazies in line.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I actually think the evil dictator who loves sarin gas and throwing barrels full of explosives out of helicopters onto schools and hospitals is the lesser evil compared to ISIS. Middle eastern countries need brutal strong man dictators to keep the religious crazies in line.

Furthermore, much like the sand-folk, negroes need a stern hand to keep order. Submission to a violent power is in their nature and it is our duty to ensure that it is a responsible one.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

advokat posted:

1) I'm not sure that's true. The rebel groups that are still at all capable of doing anything on the ground (other than the Kurds if they even count) are not better than Assad by any margin, they're just weaker.

I really think this is a twisted kind of wishful thinking. Going for stability at all costs and/or letting Russia try to fix everything with their usual brand of total misery are the easiest ways forward. The Middle East is such a mess it'd be nice to seize on something like that, however horrific, and hope it works out. (I realise backing 'the rebels' is basically the same thing but with an even smaller chance of success)

advokat posted:

3) The ideal situation would be if someone from outside actually invaded properly and removed both Assad and his enemies but that's not going to happen so after that the best case is IS runs out of steam and everyone else settles down in a slow-burning anarchy.

:agreed:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

advokat posted:

2) People there are going to keep dying either way, no matter who wins or, more likely, fails to lose and keeps fighting.

Basically if you wanted to remove Assad, should've done that long ago, it's too late for it to be a change for the better now. As far as I see it anyway, maybe I missed some amazing replacement Assad everyone would gladly rally around.

What if we armed some mongol tribes and let them run amok like it's 1290

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wasn't Syria in putin's backpocket long before all this civil war poo poo? I mean let Russian have 'em. bomb away, take a few isis out along the way. good guy muslim kurds gtfo first

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

What if we armed some mongol tribes and let them run amok like it's 1290

Can we put that on pay-per-view? It'd probably be self-funding after the first season.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

a bone to pick posted:

We got big issues with denial, escapism, ignorance, and self-awareness in this country. We have a culture that supports terrible behavior and toxic "gently caress you got mine" attitudes, we reward stomping on other people's lives but we're quick to judge the rest of the world. We're loving idiots and truly deserve a nuke to the homeland.

:agreed:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Strategic Tea posted:

Furthermore, much like the sand-folk, negroes need a stern hand to keep order. Submission to a violent power is in their nature and it is our duty to ensure that it is a responsible one.

I feel like you're trying to tie this into some racist US contextualization, not cool.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Darth123123 posted:

Wasn't Syria in putin's backpocket long before all this civil war poo poo? I mean let Russian have 'em. bomb away, take a few isis out along the way. good guy muslim kurds gtfo first

Assad's survival strategy in the face of a populist uprising with support from the west was smart, he's smart. Make one friend with a security council veto, preventing UN action. Make the conflict brutal so only the most brutal/radical opposition groups survive, then make sure atrocities the opposition commits are well-publicized. Next to ISIS, Assad looks great, very much the lesser of two evils, and he gets to keep his hold on power where Gaddafi/Mubarak couldn't.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:911:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Eagerly awaiting a statement by the U.S. to the rest of the world advising them not to let their companies exploit people and resources

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

notZaar posted:

I feel like you're trying to tie this into some racist US contextualization, not cool.

Nah, I'm saying it's wrong to argue that any culture inherently has to be brutalised to stop them from exploding into anarchy.

It's an excuse - European slavers used it as an excuse for profit. Now (some) westerners are using it an an excuse for a cheap and nasty half-solution to the mess we made in the Middle East.

If we have to support tyrants then so be it, but I'd like like it to be part of a long term solution, not just a way to fob off an entire culture as needing a friendly helping of rape and torture.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 2, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Assad's survival strategy in the face of a populist uprising with support from the west was smart, he's smart. Make one friend with a security council veto, preventing UN action. Make the conflict brutal so only the most brutal/radical opposition groups survive, then make sure atrocities the opposition commits are well-publicized. Next to ISIS, Assad looks great, very much the lesser of two evils, and he gets to keep his hold on power where Gaddafi/Mubarak couldn't.

He released half of ISIS's current command from his own prisons, hoping something like this would happen. Supporting/tolerating him now sends the message that the West is happy to be jerked around and manipulated by anyone with more than five AKs to their name.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Reminder that Obama won a Nobel Prize.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

whoflungpoop posted:

quote if u like rubbin butts together

:butt::butt:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Reminder that Obama won a Nobel Prize.

Is that a prize for having a nice rear end?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Darth123123 posted:

I won't be satisfied till we get US v Russia fighter jets dog fighting Tom Cruise style

When was the last time the US actually engaged an airborne enemy?

rear end cobra posted:

Is that a prize for having a nice rear end?

if so he deserved that prize drat

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

We had that Ebola outbreak last year.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

We had that Ebola outbreak last year.

technically not an airborne virus

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Mellenial calls US hypocritical

US says "lol, so what?"

Mellinial dies.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Monkey Fracas posted:

Iraq!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

blarzgh posted:

Mellenial calls US hypocritical

US says "lol, so what?"

Mellinial dies.

If only it was so simple...

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

Nah, I'm saying it's wrong to argue that any culture inherently has to be brutalised to stop them from exploding into anarchy.

It's an excuse - European slavers used it as an excuse for profit. Now (some) westerners are using it an an excuse for a cheap and nasty half-solution to the mess we made in the Middle East.

If we have to support tyrants then so be it, but I'd like like it to be part of a long term solution, not just a way to fob off an entire culture as needing a friendly helping of rape and torture.

Arabs are stuck in the middle ages and practice an abhorrent religion. Trying to give such backwards and culturally inferior people democracy is like trying to teach calculus to a chimpanzee. And even if you do they'll either vote for a brutual strong man or for Muslim fundamentalism. The brutal strong man who rules them like a king is always going to be the lesser of two evils because it keeps the even worse religious crazies in check. Putin understands this. The US still doesn't get it.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Arabs are stuck in the middle ages and practice an abhorrent religion. Trying to give such backwards and culturally inferior people democracy is like trying to teach calculus to a chimpanzee. And even if you do they'll either vote for a brutual strong man or for Muslim fundamentalism. The brutal strong man who rules them like a king is always going to be the lesser of two evils. Putin understands this. The US still doesn't get it.

uh without getting into your dad racism the US currently supports more brutal strongmen in the middle east than russia does

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Our strategy is inconsistent. Toppling Saddam and trying to topple Assad were huge mistakes that destabilized the region.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tezzor posted:

uh without getting into your dad racism the US currently supports more brutal strongmen in the middle east than russia does

I don't know what dad racism is, but he sounds spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
The thing about Putin is he freely acknowledges he's doing unforgivable poo poo, but he justifies it by saying everyone else is doing it. He just acts without pretenses.

It's Russian as poo poo lol

• Locked thread