Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
SIgnups are on Monday 10/5 when they roll out their fresh new website.

(A complete copy/paste from last year's thread, courtesy of screenwritersblues)

screenwritersblues posted:

I came here looking for the thread, but it seems like no one has made it yet. Since it's officially the second day of October, I might as well create the official thread.

I took the next part from an older thread that I saved two years ago. I'd like to thank the original poster who took their time to type this out. Whoever you are, thank you, you saved me a lot of time.

What is NaNoWriMo?

quote:
National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo) is a month-long event every November where aspiring writers hunker down, work through their stress and their crippling self-criticism, and churn out 50,000 words of pure prose. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to start and finish a novel (well really, a novella) within a 30 day time frame.

So it's a competition?

Yes and no. There are no prizes for finishing your novel, though in recent years the folks at NaNoWriMo have arranged some small consolations from third-parties for those who hit the 50k word mark (cheaper self-publishing, a shiny badge to put in your profile on the site, etc). The site does track your progress throughout the month and incorporates some social networking features so you can keep up with your friends/local NaNos/goons. However, the real reward is something much more personal -- to know that, in thirty days, you've done what many aspiring writers only dream of doing: chewed on ideas, swallowed your own trepidation, and after digesting everything and spending awhile in the bathroom, plopping out a steaming pile of novel to call your own.

Wait, locals?

One of the biggest themes in NaNoWriMo is solidarity with your fellow writer. It may sound silly, but half the fun of taking part is swapping war stories with your other participants (which is why this thread exists). To this end, NaNoWriMo's staff organize community write-ins across the world, where creepy people writing sci-fi catfox erotica wordsmiths of all types meet up in real life with coffee and laptops and type away furiously (or totally waste time). I've never taken part in one of these, but I've heard good and bad things from those who have. At any rate it gets you out of the house and is a good way to combat the inevitable mid-month writer's block.

Are there rules?

Yes, but there really isn't any enforcement of them except the honor system. The only rules that I'm aware of are:

-No writing may be done before 12:01am on November 1st in your local time zone. You can spend all the time you want before that planning/taking notes/doing character sketches/everything else, but no actual writing of the novel is to take place.
-The work must be some kind of fiction. No monographs allowed. However, you can write literally any genre of fiction that your heart desires. You'll see some people trying to aim for so-called "serious" literature, but the vast majority of the novels that I've seen churned out on the site's forums in the past have been fantasy/sci-fi. Oh, and some erotica. There's a lot of overlap.

Okay, so I think I could do this. Are there any tips you can give to newbies?

It varies wildly from person to person, but if you want to be successful, in my opinion you really should plan ahead of time as best you can. Hitting the ground running with a solid start is the best way to actually keep yourself motivated and not get bogged down too quickly. Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about, I've never actually won NaNoWriMo.

Here's a list of tips from the official NaNoWriMo site. Otherwise, other goons here will chime in with their own tips/ideas for preparation for prospective NaNos.
NaNoWriMo.org posted:
1) It’s okay to not know what you’re doing. Really. You’ve read a lot of novels, so you’re completely up to the challenge of writing one. If you feel more comfortable outlining your story ahead of time, do it! But it’s also fine to just wing it. Write every day, and a book-worthy story will appear, even if youÂ’re not sure what that story might be right now.

2) Do not edit as you go. Editing is for December and beyond. Think of November as an experiment in pure output. Even if it’s hard at first, leave ugly prose and poorly written passages on the page to be cleaned up later. Your inner editor will be very grumpy about this, but your inner editor is a nitpicky jerk who foolishly believes that it is possible to write a brilliant first draft if you write it slowly enough. It isn’t. Every book you’ve ever loved started out as a beautifully flawed first draft. In November, embrace imperfection and see where it takes you.

3) Tell everyone you know that you’re writing a novel in November. This will pay big dividends in Week Two, when the only thing keeping you from quitting is the fear of looking pathetic in front of all the people who’ve had to hear about your novel for the past month. Seriously. Email them now about your awesome new book. The looming specter of personal humiliation is a very reliable muse.

3.5) There will be times you’ll want to quit during November. This is okay. Everyone who wins NaNoWriMo wanted to quit at some point in November. Stick it out. See it through. Week Two can be hard. Week Three is much better. Week Four will make you want to yodel. And we’re talking the good kind of yodeling here.

Are there goon resources/groups for NaNo?

There definitely was last year, and since NaNoWriMo is usually pretty popular here, I'm sure a SomethingAwful group will spring up. Keep an eye on this space, I'll post something as soon as someone sets it up.

They haven't officially opened sign ups for this year, but I assume that it will happen soon. So until then, let's start getting organized and get ready to write.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/jarrettbrown

If anyone wants to add me, feel free.

So what's everyone planning on writing this year?

Quick personal note: I've participated three years in a row now, and the MS from my second year was published last week on Amazon Kindle, it's my first published book and it took a lot of work to get it from that first draft of nano into the final product, but it all started at Nano. If I can do it, anybody anybody can.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is this the place where we :toxx: for completion? 'cause I'm going to make those 50,000 words on the same topic in November (:toxx:).

I need more daunting, intimidating uphill struggles in my life. Unsarcastically, the pride and sense of accomplishment from completing things that are way beyond your capabilities is exhilarating. And NaNoWriMo will likely be more creative words than I have ever written, even in aggregate.

I'm already nervous. I should probably bust out the index cards now.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I do a lot of mapping and character backstory and anything I can think of to get me ready for Nov 1, so when I sit down to write, I'm able to focus on what I'm writing towards. Some folks like to just let it flow, but when I do that, 50% of the MS ends up being, "why am I even sitting here this is making no sense I should start over but then I'd lose my count."

Best of luck!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
This time of year again already? Goddammit.

I've never won a NaNo, but usually they help me get a lot more words in than I would have done otherwise. There are a few book ideas I've had rolling around in my head that I just need to sit down and start, so maybe this is the push needed to do that.

Best of luck, everyone! You are going to need it (and lots of coffee).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
In again for 2015. I'll save my toxx for the LW November topic, though. Write more words, goons!

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2051298-October-Nano-Prep-2015-Calendar

Great idea for doing your nano prep. Tried doing it last year with a complete lack of prep and utterly failed.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Oh lawsy, here we go again.

I've won a few times. Last year, though, I flamed out way early. Now I must restore my honor.

... I give myself about a 45% chance.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
Well. It's been a few years since I attempted this, but I just realized that my very first NaNo was ten years ago so maybe it's a good time to give it a shot :shobon:

I was sixteen years old, learned of its existence on Livejournal about five days in, sat down and farted out something wretched and cranked out word #50,000 at about 23:58 on November 30. Pretty sure I cheated like hell, too.

Ah, what the hell. Let's do this thing.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Lansoc posted:

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2051298-October-Nano-Prep-2015-Calendar

Great idea for doing your nano prep. Tried doing it last year with a complete lack of prep and utterly failed.

Using this.

My prep skills are poo poo. Last couple years I've been pantsing it, and the last couple years I've been losing.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm in, committing to write a total poo poo story for the joy of it.

Participant name bootysnatchers
Novel name: Killer Clown Clown Killers.

Blurb:
As the circus train pulled away, the blood, guts, and squeaky oversized shoes on the tracks made one thing quite clear; another clown was dead.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/bootysnatchers/novels/killer-clown-clown-killers

Slapped together an amazing cover. I'm pretty sure this book will write itself.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Oh yeah. My Nano username is the same as my SA username, so let's be ~pals.~

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I look forward to this every year even though my batting average is less than stellar.

This time around I haven't even settled on an idea yet.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I write a nano and a half worth of content every month for my job, so I'm sure heaping on two nano projects simultaneously this year won't come back to bite me, right? My word count between work writing and fiction is up to 775,000 and I'm hoping to crack 1 million by the end of the year.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/Nighthand add me if you haven't already in past years, I have like 90 of you already.

ghost crow
Jul 9, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I'm in. I'm not sure I could do a whole novel, but I was thinking about doing a collection of short stories centered around a theme. So something like 20 2500 word stories. I'm a new writer so I figure that would be a good challenge for me.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I tried two years ago and failed horribly, so, uh, time to take another stab at it!

This time, I've actually noticed well in advance that NaNoWriMo is happening, with the result that I'm now working on an outline. Maybe that will help - last time I was trying to make it up as I went. I certainly feel more confident this time.

Feel free to add me: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/tayacan

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Be my NaNo friend: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/urbanspaceman23

I've got two ideas I'm kicking around. Next sunday my writing group (and home region) is having a brainstorming meeting, so maybe I'll narrow it down by then.

Sia
May 16, 2005
I'm fine, how are you?
I tried it in 2012 and managed to get out 50,000 words of garbage. I'd like to see if I could do the same this year but with less garbage and more good writing!

Be my friend! http://nanowrimo.org/participants/sia

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those of you wanting to read some stuff on storytelling, (vs writing words) this is a great blog I found the other day, I've been soaking it up and feeding the ideas into my story.

GOT the link from the screenwriting thread, but the articles are about stories... characters, plot, stuff like that.
http://channel101.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Structure_101:_Super_Basic_Shit

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

OH yeah, let's do this.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/cthulhucarl

This one will be fun because I nuked a setting I'd been using for my first NaNos. Of course, I haven't done anything with those and they were all irredeemable crap, so nuking will probably be good for them.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
In it to win it

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/omnikin

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
'Bout that time, eh chaps? Righto.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/thearchimage

I'd feel a lot better about winning the last four years if I had gotten any writing at all done outside of November. This time I am starting with nothing; no plot, no characters, no setpieces, no premise. I never had much of a plan in previous years either, but... well, we will see what comes of it.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
I have never done NanoWrimo before always forgetting or being very busy in the month, but now I wanna join in on the fun. Thinking of just going with my "dumb fun don't care if anyone reads it, I wanna write it" idea which is gettin me all firrrreeed up. Now I've gotta prep in a week!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anybody already started plotting out their story? Characters? Or are you just going to pants it? I can't do that. Half my MS would be, "why am I doing this jesus I should go back to sleep." over and over.

I wrote 2,000 words today, just world building, characters, key events, you DO at least have your start and your ending, right? At least that way, you have a vague idea of what you're working towards. It really helps when you get stuck.

Four years ago when I signed up, I had no idea what I was doing, except that I was going to redefine the world of literature. And I totally did; at least as far as my own perspective. There is a huge gaping difference between telling a story and stringing 50,000 words together. A painfully huge, boring, confusing chasm.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

Has anybody already started plotting out their story? Characters? Or are you just going to pants it? I can't do that. Half my MS would be, "why am I doing this jesus I should go back to sleep." over and over.

I wrote 2,000 words today, just world building, characters, key events, you DO at least have your start and your ending, right? At least that way, you have a vague idea of what you're working towards. It really helps when you get stuck.

Four years ago when I signed up, I had no idea what I was doing, except that I was going to redefine the world of literature. And I totally did; at least as far as my own perspective. There is a huge gaping difference between telling a story and stringing 50,000 words together. A painfully huge, boring, confusing chasm.

I already have mine pretty well planned out for what I'll be writing each day. And most of the characters are named except for a few essentially interchangeable suits (And a genetically modified squid).

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
I have kind of a vague idea of what I might do maybe, as well as the three main characters for the ~adventure~.

Which is better than most years.

I've done a lot of writing stuff since my last Nanowrimo, and have cranked out upwards of 3-4k words per day sometimes, so I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. Of course, I wasn't employed or doing school things at the time, but I'm just going to ignore that because reality is for quitters.

Sidenote: I really wish we could change our usernames on the Nanowrimo website. I would pay real dollars for the privilege of taking away the stupid username I made as a teenager.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've got a very loose outline at this point. Haven't decided all of the central actors yet. So basically I have a beginning and an ending, but I'm still in ???? mode about the middle.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I've got a good lead on the meaty bits but plan on spending a day or two in the next week fleshing out the plot. I've never written this many words before so it's kinda terrifying thinking about November

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RedTonic posted:

I've got a very loose outline at this point. Haven't decided all of the central actors yet. So basically I have a beginning and an ending, but I'm still in ???? mode about the middle.

Omnikin posted:

I've got a good lead on the meaty bits but plan on spending a day or two in the next week fleshing out the plot. I've never written this many words before so it's kinda terrifying thinking about November
A good way to figure that foggy middle part out is to think about traditional plot structure, and then ignore it all because that's what new writers do; we redefine the craft.

Think of the basic three act structure:

Act 1: Here We Are
Act 2: Wait Some poo poo's Happening
Act 3: All Hell Breaks Loose and Needs To Stop.

For your beginning, (first part of Act 1) you're introducing characters, locale, day-to-day events, and probably some foreshadowing of the stuff that's coming up in Act 2.

Your ending is the back half of Act 3, where the bombs have exploded, the dust is settling, and that's the story folks.

The rest - Act 1, pt 2, Act 2 and Act 3 pt. 1, is where you carve your story out of a block of wood. There's no rules or strict guidelines, but it's best to know what you're working towards.

I prefer to go granular on that poo poo, so when November comes, I've got the story, the sequence of events, the secrets that my characters are keeping, the monster hiding in the shadows, etc. Once I'm sitting in front of my laptop, I can focus on the conversations and the action of the story and where it's headed next.

Otherwise, I lose track of events, (wait isn't she supposed to be in a coma already?) and character arcs, (I'm pretty sure she's not taking poo poo from that guy by now, she's grown as a person), and most importantly, I've mapped out my pacing; I know (very roughly) how many words I'll need for each event, or else things will run too short.

Running too long doesn't matter in your first draft, that's what revisions are for, but god help you if you're at the end and your word count is 40K.

All of this is what works for me. I've tried writing by the seat of my pants and invariably I lost track of every thread. Other writers - more experienced ones for certain, love to sit down and see where the story takes them. I hope I can do that one day, but not today.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Im in again! Fourth year going, hoping to be the third year to win. (I only lost last year because I got too busy writing for my day job... Aka publishing super romance on Amazon...)

Also, this year is crazy because I will finally be publishing the thriller I wrote the first year of nano during the middle of the month...

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I've got a fairly thorough outline by now. A few parts are still sketchy - I know, for example, that my main character needs to gain a certain piece of information at a certain point in the story, but not how this is going to happen.

Actually, let me just show you what I made today:

Each card represents a scene. An orange post-it means that it's an action-y scene. PoV characters are highlighted in different colors (orange is the main character, obviously). Also written on the cards are what characters are present, what the mood of the scene should be like, and some free text which is just whatever I felt was relevant.

It's incomplete - there's less than 30 scenes so far, which probably isn't enough, but I expect that many of the almost-blank ones will be expanded into multiple scenes. This is mostly the crucial plot-bits.

Right now it's sort of organized in a three-act structure - act 1 is the first column, act 2 gets the next three, and act 3 is the last two. Act 2 is split by major setbacks, act 3 is split just after the final battle - the last two scenes are just winding down and tying up loose ends.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tayacan posted:

I've got a fairly thorough outline by now. A few parts are still sketchy - I know, for example, that my main character needs to gain a certain piece of information at a certain point in the story, but not how this is going to happen.

Actually, let me just show you what I made today:

Each card represents a scene. An orange post-it means that it's an action-y scene. PoV characters are highlighted in different colors (orange is the main character, obviously). Also written on the cards are what characters are present, what the mood of the scene should be like, and some free text which is just whatever I felt was relevant.

It's incomplete - there's less than 30 scenes so far, which probably isn't enough, but I expect that many of the almost-blank ones will be expanded into multiple scenes. This is mostly the crucial plot-bits.

Right now it's sort of organized in a three-act structure - act 1 is the first column, act 2 gets the next three, and act 3 is the last two. Act 2 is split by major setbacks, act 3 is split just after the final battle - the last two scenes are just winding down and tying up loose ends.
drat that's good.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

magnificent7 posted:

drat that's good.

Thanks!

Last time I tried NaNoWriMo (which was also the last time I tried to write any kind of long fiction), I was woefully under-prepared, so this time, I'm trying the other extreme.

It has proven useful for spotting places where there's, idk, too much of the same thing, I guess. Like in act 2, I had a long bit that was just the main character going about her business, not interacting with the other two viewpoint characters at all. And I only noticed it after laying it out like this, with the colored highlights and stuff. So I decided to add a scene with the other two, showing what they're up to in the meantime, which I think will actually end up being a fairly important characterization scene.

And if you look at the 4th column, there's no action at all there - I might change that tomorrow, or I might just decide that it's fine. But at least I'm aware of it now.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Throwin' my hat into this poo poo for the 4th time: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/fujiko_k

If anyone is in the Northern Va area, drop in for our write-ins. We're a a real inclusive group and we have a lot of fun.

I don't know why the forum doesn't include wins from before 2011, but I've won 4 years, not three. :argh:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I haven't ever won but I'm taking it more seriously than ever before: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/seagullsandtrawlers

I am even deactivating my social media accounts to retain focus, having publicly announced my intentions in the hope fear of humiliation will spur me on. Decided to spend this week planning, currently have zero ideas on what I'm even going to write :allears:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Oh yeah, should've probably linked my profile. Here you go.

Gone from no ideas to bouncing around a couple of 'em. Gonna set aside some time this week to bite the bullet and pick something. I don't tend to plan too far ahead, but I typically need something to get started.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Technically I'm cheating a bit because the novel I'm writing is going to have the first two chapters done before November due to needing them for an assignment for my advanced fiction class, but I'm throwing my hat in with that novel because holy poo poo I need to start making serious progress on it.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/cascadebeta

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

First time in the fray.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/dictatorialship

It'll be fun to write with goons.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/tequilajesus

Looking forward to this. Though I must say I'm also looking forward to FYAD's annual thread mocking us, too.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

TequilaJesus posted:

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/tequilajesus

Looking forward to this. Though I must say I'm also looking forward to FYAD's annual thread mocking us, too.

That thread is solid gold every year and honestly some good mockery can help you get better at avoiding the dumb poo poo people do as bad writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

RainbowCake posted:

Sidenote: I really wish we could change our usernames on the Nanowrimo website. I would pay real dollars for the privilege of taking away the stupid username I made as a teenager.

:v: Yeah I deleted my original account because I wanted to change my username. I didn't really have any information I wanted to keep saved from the original account anyway. Never finished a book, etc.

Anyway I had a story all plotted out but I realized it's pretty flimsy so I've been trying for a few weeks now to figure out how to make it stronger or a new direction but I'm not having much luck. Maybe I should just write what I have and try to fill in the gaps later on or something. In any case this is the one year I've done some preparation and I feel better about it. Though I am shamed by Tayacan's post.

Good luck everyone!

• Locked thread