Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
To give a hint of how one hits big rear end word count this month, I give you a snippet from my future NYT best-seller:

Pulizter Award Winner posted:

Poking out of the shoe, (what do you call that? The mouth of the shoe? The hole? The foot-goes-here part of the shoe?) was a hairy ankle, and bones and blood, and a black sock.

The salt-and-pepper hairs on the ankle were thick and wiry. The circumference (diameter? Stump-width?) was much tinier than the (mouth? Foot-goes-here-hole?) of the shoe.

NEVER LET EDITING GET IN THE WAY of your lovely story. GO and go and go. This month, you are not flying an airplane, you are running with a kite in your hand, running fast and hard, trying to get that lovely kite up in the air, one way or another.

You want to find your story. December, and 2016, will be the time for word-refining and tuning. If you do that now, you'll be frustrated and defeated before you hit 1,000 words.

(2,400 today btw, in just 90 minutes of typing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
1,200 words done for day one! Already doing better than last year. My novel is a story of a high fantasy arch-typical hero and a modernized fantasy world where a disenfranchised youth discovers the hero's journal and starts being able to perform the magic done by the hero as she reads through the journal.

Wrote a very good bit between my present day protag and her best friend and learned a fair bit about both characters and how they play off each other. It's starting to feel like the makings of an adventuring party, which is a great parallel to the high fantasy part of the story in the past. It's a bit short, but it's a start!

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I completely loving forgot that NanoWrimo existed until about 4 hours ago so I jumped in headfirst with no plan and no thought for how I'll manage the remainder of the semester at school on top of a 50k word goal. But hey, I did it once before so maybe it'll work out again!

It's 10 minutes to midnight and I got in 2500 words in those 4 hours. Not a bad start, but I already feel like I'm going to be far behind by the time week 1 is over.

e: Profile, in case anyone wants to buddy up: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/panda_hero/

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I continued to squeeze out about 100 words at a time, and wound up with roughly 3000 by midnight. Not a bad start but the beginning and end are the easy part. It's that middle mess that always trips me up.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
ahh poo poo I forgot to update the count on nano's site, so it applied my words to today instead. (it's past midnight). Guess that means I'll kickass writing more today.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Man, it's Nov 1st already, I didn't really do any planning like I did last time. I have no idea what to write,but I feel like I need something to kick my butt to get back into writing. I've mapped out some basic ideas (some that I've had sitting for a long time), but I'm not sure I really feel super excited enough to write them. I've been on a slump for a long time. :(

The last thing I wrote was a short story that I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a publisher for, that was about a year ago.

I guess my problem is, I plan out some characters and basic ideas for a story, but I have no idea where it's going, or what the theme of the story is, rather than just a bunch of things happening. Then I start something new and the same thing happens.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 3, 2015

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

5,000 words to start off day one. I only put in about three hours all told, and got busy doing other things today. (Grocery shopping, meal planning for the week and cooking for the week building a meditation hut, hanging with friends etc). I'm starting a second book in the series, even though I have about 10,000 words left to write on the first book. Fortunately I outlined the whole trilogy before I started, so I at least know what I'm writing and it works, it's just a little odd. Since I plan on going above the usual 50,000 away, my goal is to get a bit ahead on book two and then go back and finish book one...

Caros
May 14, 2008

gently caress you Nanowrimo. Finished up my first day at 1668 just at the end of my evening. You aren't going to beat me this year Nanowrimo, I like my forum account!

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Well, at least I got 191 words in. I have a bad feeling it's going to be like last time (I think 2 years ago) of constantly being behind, but I'm going to try drat it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I couldn't sleep, so I had a glass of wine and knocked out another 2200 words. Much better than the first ones. But I need something to happen. Time for a smoke bomb or time machine or something.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Cthulu Carl posted:

Tools -> Writing Tools -> Name Generator

It gave me Antichrist Gates in the first batch of names, so it's gotta be good!

This just made my NaNo about 500x easier.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I started prepping like two hours before midnight, and about half of my time was spent generating this post-apocalyptic name list:

Mozzie, Silence Toad, Doctor Marten, Mother Ebenholts, Colonel VonAntwerpen, Adblock, Popsicle, Thumper, Chilly Kelly, Chilly Vanilly, Hangry, Ferrarity, Deere, Oompa, Heavenly, Harper Lee, Moby Dictionary, Wallapalooza, No-Fish, the Wicked Witch, Daydream, Penance, Zdraveite, Jr., 1981, KGBeast, Sticker, Spot, Runner, Bigshot, Lottie Trouble, Tallman

And now, Antichrist Gates. Fits right in. Thanks!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Tiger posted:

I started prepping like two hours before midnight, and about half of my time was spent generating this post-apocalyptic name list:

Mozzie, Silence Toad, Doctor Marten, Mother Ebenholts, Colonel VonAntwerpen, Adblock, Popsicle, Thumper, Chilly Kelly, Chilly Vanilly, Hangry, Ferrarity, Deere, Oompa, Heavenly, Harper Lee, Moby Dictionary, Wallapalooza, No-Fish, the Wicked Witch, Daydream, Penance, Zdraveite, Jr., 1981, KGBeast, Sticker, Spot, Runner, Bigshot, Lottie Trouble, Tallman

And now, Antichrist Gates. Fits right in. Thanks!

You better be writing Silence Toad into your novel right loving now

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
Mozzie, Silence Toad and Doctor Marten are the main characters. Silence prefers if you only use the first half of her name. They're pulling a heist on Mother Ebenholts, where they're going to poison or abduct (haven't decided) her son Colonel VonAntwerpen.

They have so far killed henchmen Popsicle, Thumper, Chilly Kelly (her brother Chilly Vanilly is furious), Hangry and Ferrarrity; paralyzed Tommygun from the neck down, and they're about to take Adblock hostage. I really love naming post-apocalypse characters.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
What the hell is it about Nanowrimo?
Earlier this year I sat down without an idea and crapped out a dumb (and boring) story that got to 25,000 words in about a week. Right now I'm at exactly 1,685 and struggling.
This is what happens when I make a plan, see. I write out the plot points way too quickly and run out of story before I hit 5,000 words. I haven't even gotten to the adventure part yet (a group of young adults trying to escape post-apocalyptic Canada before President Trump erects a wall between the Canada-US border) and I'm already bored. :qqsay:

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I managed 3999 yesterday. So I'm definitely getting to 5k today.

And the ideas have begun tumbling into my head again, which is a relief, because my 28-scene outline would not have been enough, I think. And it would have been a sad excuse for a story, bare bones and lean meat. Needs to be fattened up with details and character-building moments and all that poo poo.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
2634 after a morning push with coffee. Should easily be able to stroll to 3.3k tonight which will keep me on the daily average, would love to push to 4k if I can. I'm excited to feel my prep work get fleshed out. I was worried that the ideas and scenes I've planned out would be kinda slim but it's been easy to open them up. Two days in and I feel I've already learned a couple good lessons/techniques for pushing out the more serious material in my head after November is over.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slightly over par at 3544. I'm cool with that. i wrote one of the flashbacks that will probably contribute absolutely nothing to the story, but it was fun.

And I had a guy show Prisoner Ingenuity and hack a space port-a-potty into a vent hood so him an a few buddies can smoke in Space Gitmo.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just under 10,000 now. I'll be there before I stop for the night...

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
There are several people in my region who already have 10k. I'm just a smidge over the minimum for today, so I'mma call it a night after a big write-in.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I'm at 7325 right now, I might be able to do another couple hundred words tonight. I'm ahead of par but behind where I'd like to be. I'm helping a friend do an Extra Life thing on the 7th and I want to make sure I've got enough of a lead that I can afford to take a day mostly off.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Argh, internet is out and I like to use Google Docs for writing. Will have to use One Note or whatever lovely program Windows 10 comes with.

e: My outline is online, too. God drat it.

LiterallyATomato fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 3, 2015

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
2,203 words today and a chapter done, complete with a chase sequence and a bit of magical discovery. This poo poo ain't hard. :v:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Day two.

650 words.

I had to have a funk now. Kill me. :cripes:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Day two.

650 words.

Don't sweat it! Last year, at the halfway point I only had something like 10k words. I went to a 24 hour write-in and caught up by somehow churning out 15k words in 24 hours. It was grueling, but somehow fun.

I just barely managed to clear 5k words tonight, which puts me a full day ahead. I want to keep building up a buffer space, since I know there will be bad days where I just don't have time to write.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Don't worry about your count on these first few days, we all have to find our groove.

What's important is that I'm up to 5789 words.

I mean what's important is that you just keep writing.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Giving this a try, since I've been kicking an idea around my head for a while.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/hellogoodsir

nael
Sep 10, 2009
I find that huge-rear end walls of boring exposition really help with word count. If I like where it's going I'll make it subtle and organic when the month's over.

nael fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 3, 2015

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
I won nano once a few years ago, and have failed pretty miserably in the last few years. I managed to get to Nov 1 with about one entirely unbaked idea, and after two days I've hit 3420 words. Time on day three to get the third protagonist group under way and see where the rest of the week gets me.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/malchrntyne

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Oh geesh, November 3 already.

I first tried NaNoWriMo in 2007, only got to 8500 words. Then I did 20,450 in 2008, 12,000 in 2009, and my current record, 31,400 in 2010. I haven't participated since, except a half-assed effort a couple years ago that I don't think even broke 1K. This year I was feeling nostalgic and thought about trying once again this year. Thanks to work, though, I'm a couple days late getting started.

I've spent the last couple hours prepping myself mentally (ie getting a nice buzz going), and trying to decide which of the two ideas I want to go with. The first is following some young adults the day before the world comes to an end. Not the most original ideas, but the story would basically be an examination of how normal everyday people cope with all these questions of existentialism and life and death.

The other idea is a dumb Star Trek parody following a bunch of dumb stoner "red-shirts" going about their day-to-day lives on a star-ship, inspired by the fact I've been binging through Deep Space Nice lately.

I'm gonna go with the space story. Yeah, I'm aware it's the same premise as an existing popular book (which I haven't read) and god knows how many other stories/books/TV shows/movies/games, but gently caress it. The end of the world story is liable to get kinda heavy for a fun month-long activity, and I'd feel compelled to treat it with the seriousness and dignity the topics deserve, and end up killing myself after dwelling on such topics for a whole month. Meanwhile, with the space ship story, I get stuck? Oh no, Ensign Tolax got a laser to the face and the ship has been boarded by a bunch of hostile not-Klingons! What will happen to Junior Security Officer..um *looks at previous post* Horaych?!? (Totally gonna steal and mutate usernames from this and other threads when I get stuck with naming.)

Only problem is the most obvious title has already been taken (and then some!), but whatever.

Here's my profile http://nanowrimo.org/participants/Eh_Frank Looks like I have people added from the last time(s) I've tried this, though the site seems to have lost all info on the stories I attempted then.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I guess I should go to bed, since I have to get up early tomorrow. I have 900 words today, putting me up to 1,093 total, about 2,200 words in the hole. I have some idea of theme, which is good, but I have no idea who the main protagonist is, or what the main conflict will be.

Here's my profile: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/foolster41

The synopsis is stupid sounding, but I didn't know what to write since I don't quite know yet what the story's about. :P

Edit: The word count always confuses me. I keep thinking I'm supposed to put in the #words I wrote on that day, but it looks like it's the total words so far for all the days at that point. (i.e. if you write 193 on the first day and then 900 on the second, you put 10,93 for day 2, not 900.).

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 3, 2015

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Foolster41 posted:

I guess I should go to bed, since I have to get up early tomorrow. I have 900 words today, putting me up to 1,093 total, about 2,200 words in the hole. I have some idea of theme, which is good, but I have no idea who the main protagonist is, or what the main conflict will be.

Here's my profile: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/foolster41

The synopsis is stupid sounding, but I didn't know what to write since I don't quite know yet what the story's about. :P

Edit: The word count always confuses me. I keep thinking I'm supposed to put in the #words I wrote on that day, but it looks like it's the total words so far for all the days at that point. (i.e. if you write 193 on the first day and then 900 on the second, you put 10,93 for day 2, not 900.).

Yeah, it does all the word per day calculations for you. The thing you input is just total words written as of then.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
1465 words total for The Wages of Tin and I'm slowly coming round to the whole 'ditch the inner editor and just churn it out regardless of quality' mindset. Working until Friday then I have ten days off work which I will be able to hopefully grind a good 15,000-20,000 words out in, meanwhile I'm just making sure I'm sitting down for at least an hour every day and writing anything.

I always hate my tendency to wander off into large chunks of exposition but as said above that's not a bad thing in an exercise like this.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Bacon Terrorist posted:

1465 words total for The Wages of Tin and I'm slowly coming round to the whole 'ditch the inner editor and just churn it out regardless of quality' mindset.

Write now, edit later. Nice title, by the way.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

RedTonic posted:

Write now, edit later. Nice title, by the way.

I second both of these sentiments.

My title (A Gambler's Tale) is still a holdover from when my high fantasy protagonist was the main character and had an entirely different magical affinity. I know I need to change it but I have no idea to what. I mean I should probably worry about it after I have it written but ya know.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

'MULTIQUIP MC94PH8 9 CUBIC FOOT HONDA GX - 240 POLY DRUM CONCRETE MIXER, in D minor - by Horus Miller.' is up to 200 words now!

Yeah, I ain't gonna win.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
On the plus side, you got quite a lot of words in the title!

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

J.A.B.C. posted:

Day two.

650 words.

You can do it! Believe in me, who believes in you, churning out words

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Yes! Broke 10,000 words!

Now I should go eat something besides leftover Halloween candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

15,000. I'm liking my 5,000 a day clip.

• Locked thread