Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Haven't started writing proper. Still making an outline.

I do have my opening and second chapter though. And I guess 500 words of outline if we're counting that.

I usually just free write, but kinda want to plan this story out instead. I have a bunch of disjointed scenes in my head and I'm not so sure they'll be able to chime together in any old order or if they can even make sense in the same book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Wasn't feeling terribly well today, but I also didn't want to start burning up my buffer this early. Just barely managed to churn out 1700 words in the last three hours of the day.

I swear, if I come down with the flu tomorrow I am going to be pissed.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
I had a few ideas for the month of October. Threw them out November 1st and did a quick outline that day. Wrote over 3,000 words today to get basically caught up at 8,000 total.

This is my first time attempting NaNo and my first dedicated effort to writing a novel/novella. The motivation is great so far. Hoping to get ahead for when I inevitably lose inspiration. Great fun spewing poo poo into my iPad though!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Am I the only person who feels like showing friends/family is a bad idea when you are not finished?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's a bad idea even when you are finished.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Am I the only person who feels like showing friends/family is a bad idea when you are not finished?

Ditto.

There's also studies that show that telling people your plans before they are finished actually lessens the chances that you'll complete those plans. Our hosed up monkey brains basically treat telling someone we're going to complete something and completing that thing similarly.

Or something like that.

inthesto posted:

It's a bad idea even when you are finished.

Also this.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I'm about to show my family something I wrote for Nano... 4 years ago. It's been rewritten about six times, and I'm properly editing it now.

Looking back, that first 50k are barely the same except... The spine is there. The core mystery and the set up for the rest of the series are there. It's just all the set dressing, and side characters and side plots and other stuff that have been cleaned up in the time since. Give it time. Rewriting is where the magic happens...

But that can't happen till you get those pesky first 50k down on the blank page first.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 6, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Ah, I'm a day and a half behind now. But I feel pretty recharged after taking a break last night. Pretty sure I'll be able to rock some words this weekend.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Axel Serenity posted:

You better be writing Silence Toad into your novel right loving now

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I have a Silence Toad in my novel now. He is a baker.

Also, I am behind for the first year ever and I don't know how to deal with it :supaburn:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

zonohedron posted:

Also, I am behind for the first year ever and I don't know how to deal with it :supaburn:

The power is within you.

Write more.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I felt like my head was exploding yesterday because of a sinus headache so did exactly jack poo poo once I got home from work.

Fortunately, I had scheduled today off - because gently caress working on your birthday - and so I had plenty of time to catch up while writing about the design of the Soyuz capsule, time dilation, and some weird rear end, space version of imperial overstretch. Now I'm at 10,195. Might do some more later tonight. or I might play Yoshi's Wooly World. Dunno yet.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think I'm slowing down a bit, but it's actually only 8 PM which is earlier than I started writing yesterday. How odd.

Managed to crank out another 1700 words today, putting me at about 12k. I just know one of these days something is going to come up and I'm going to have to miss three days in a row, and I will be so drat thankful that I have a buffer.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm reposting this from earlier in the thread because it's fantastic:

http://channel101.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Structure_101:_Super_Basic_Shit

Besides lack of time and deep-seated fatigue, my biggest problem has been lack of specific ideas. I've got a general idea of my cast and the big picture, but I try to come up with some little event and just draw a blank. So tonight while eating I busted out the notecards and followed the general formula:

1) You (the character you're focusing on for this episode)
2) Need (there's something that they desire or require)
3) Go (they mobilize in order to do something about it)
4) Search (and spend some amount of time and effort locating something to satisfy their need)
5) Find (they find the specific thing they think is best)
6) Take (and do what is necessary to acquire or overcome it)
7) Return (returning to a similar situation in which they started)
8) Change (but different for the experience)

Honestly once I get past #2 these cycles just write themselves, and now I've got enough for at least two chapters of directed material and one much bigger one which covers, in the broadest sense, the first half of the story. Also if your change leaves your character in a worse situation, you've basically got the first two items taken care of for the next cycle.

Read the site and try a circle or two.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
A new character that I did not plan happened in my story. My main character was supposed to be a ~lone wolf~ until later on, but suddenly she has A Best Friend right from the beginning. She's getting her very own character development arc and is going to become a better person and be all strong and stuff.
She's gonna die :toot:

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

RainbowCake posted:

A new character that I did not plan happened in my story. My main character was supposed to be a ~lone wolf~ until later on, but suddenly she has A Best Friend right from the beginning. She's getting her very own character development arc and is going to become a better person and be all strong and stuff.
She's gonna die :toot:

This is similar as to what I've had happen. My original main was a dude living alone. Now it's a young woman living with her little sister and grandmother... And cause I'm lame as hell, it's the zombie apocalypse. Poor Nan. :ohdear:

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.

its no big deal posted:

This is similar as to what I've had happen. My original main was a dude living alone. Now it's a young woman living with her little sister and grandmother... And cause I'm lame as hell, it's the zombie apocalypse. Poor Nan. :ohdear:

Almost the same. A character I made up solely for some introductory exposition during the first chapter was meant to disappear there, but then I made the mistake of giving him a name, and now he keeps telling me poo poo about himself and has popped up the focus of another chapter. I've managed not to name the man that he's talking to so far, but I have the sneaking suspicion that he will also rear his ugly head eventually.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Things aren't going well. I'm at under 5k words. My car blew up and work has been busy, so I've written next to nothing for days. I'm going to try and catch up today/tomorrow, but I have a feeling I'm not going to make it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

TequilaJesus posted:

Things aren't going well. I'm at under 5k words. My car blew up and work has been busy, so I've written next to nothing for days. I'm going to try and catch up today/tomorrow, but I have a feeling I'm not going to make it.

You'll be fine. Even if you had 0 words, you could still do it. Don't panic. Just write.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My main character now has a super power.

I had to do something. I can not write another story where main character does nothing but reacts to poo poo. "What? Oh my god! I can't believe that just happened! She said what?"

At least I'm excited about my lovely story again.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

magnificent7 posted:

My main character now has a super power.

I had to do something. I can not write another story where main character does nothing but reacts to poo poo. "What? Oh my god! I can't believe that just happened! She said what?"

At least I'm excited about my lovely story again.

Super powers are rad. What super power?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I have a terrible brain problem where I just keep piling subplots into my story. Ugh. Stop it, characters. You don't have to go on a hero's journey every time you buy milk.

magnificent7 posted:

Maybe not the main character, but a side character that does this while everyone else around them is super proactive could be hilarious.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rotinaj posted:

Super powers are rad. What super power?
Hypnotism! Yes! The weakest of all superpowers!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I didn't write at all yesterday :(

Thankfully that's what the buffer is for, but I actually have to write quite fervently today to keep pace!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

FFFfffffffffffuuuuuuucucccck

I just typed up ~1800 words, but between network issues with my laptop and the fact that I moronically left the file open on my desktop, Scrivener and Google Drive poo poo the bed. I've checked ten different previous versions of my project, and only one of them even has the text file in the right folder... But it has ZERO WORDS.

:negative:

So much for doing anything other than write tonight...

I think I'm actually most pissed that I wasted a documentary on General Tso's Chicken for that writing session.

EDIT: Aaaand a miracle just happened. I went to the next folder in Scrivener because gently caress typing all that stuff up again, added a new text entry, and... It added a new text entry with all 1,887 words I typed earlier already added. I don't even understand how that worked because I typed all that up on my laptop and added this entry on my desktop.... gently caress it.

I don't care.

I'm at 13,845. And now I'm probably going to drink.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 8, 2015

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I'm confused about people who don't compulsively save after every other sentence. (You should make it a habit to save after every other sentence.)

In other news, I'm pulling further and further ahead of the plan - 17k plus some change as of today. And I went to a write-in, which was fun.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I wrote about 70 pages or so a few years ago, during a very boring spring. I made the mistake of showing my ex-husband, who was like, "This is good, and I would like to see more." Naturally, my brain decided that this was enough and I discarded the entire project. My father, similarly, yelled at me immediately upon my announcing that I was starting Nanowrimo, because, "if you make me loving read your unfinished novel I will lose my goddamned mind." I guess my godfather likes to send him a lot of unfinished projects and it becomes obnoxious, eventually.

Anyway, I've been looking around for this thread! It's very exciting to see other people working on this. This is my first Nanowrimo. :saddowns: I am in the middle of writing essays for school, as well, so this is terrible timing, but I just passed the 10k mark, so I think I am more or less on track.

also: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/jegeren <--- Add me! I added a few people from the first page, but feel free to add me if you see this.

cash crab fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 9, 2015

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Ah, NaNo - where I barely get anything done all weekend, but start a writing spree 2 hours before bedtime on a Sunday.

Well, that Anarchist protest scene isn't going to write itself....

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Only just over 2500 words in :ohdear:

Full week of work now to really crank the words out now though :rms:

I have a Fallout 4 pre-order to collect at midnight tonight though, so this poo poo could go either way at this point :iiam:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Only just over 2500 words in :ohdear:

Full week of work now to really crank the words out now though :rms:

I have a Fallout 4 pre-order to collect at midnight tonight though, so this poo poo could go either way at this point :iiam:

:) I didn't write for four days and I still managed to get back to a 1400 a day average. You can do it.

Also, luckily I can't afford Fallout yet, so between mild depression and a bunch of essays, I can count on being able to maybe perhaps finish, possibly.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Just cracked 10k, which is disappointing considering I was at 9k on Thursday I think. Oh well. Had a rather busy four day stretch with work and family plus I got to catch Spectre in one of those newfangled RPX theaters last night. Maybe I'll throw some sibling revenge twists into the next 40k words. Two days off now, time to catch up

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

cash crab posted:

:) I didn't write for four days and I still managed to get back to a 1400 a day average. You can do it.

I'm doing the same. It's not a deep hole.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
11k and taking a break for a few hours. Did about 2k so far this morning, want to double that before the night is out. Then I'll only be 1.5k~ behind with a lot more time to catch up tomorrow. Dream sequences!! Romance!! Intrigue!!

This is loving hard

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got to 15,639 and only got distracted by wikipedia once. I was trying to find the right term for the style of roller coaster restraint that goes over your shoulders - i guess it's just 'over-the-shoulder restraints.'

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

looks like I'll be hitting 50k this week sometime... I got slowed down by a twenty four hour bug yesterday, didn't get any writing done at all. If I finish by Friday though, I'll defiantly be shooting for a 100k month. The rest of you who are worried, don't be! You can do it!

If I can spit out a fifty thousand word paranormal romance novel about people who are in coma's which puts them in purgatory trying to wake up so they can be with people they love and there are fallen angles and wraths and demons and poo poo, so can you!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Finished the scene I wanted to wrap up today with, topped 13k. Looking forward to some acceleration for the story tomorrow. I feel like getting into the juicy bits will help the words flow faster than setting up my world.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So just got back from a local write-in. I was welcomed and then everyone just sat and wrote furiously for a bit. I guess I was expecting some small form of interaction with prompt/word sprints and maybe a chance to interact and bounce ideas. Having a reletively distraction free writing space was nice, but not really worth the distance I went.

I haven't done a complete count but I did somewhere around 300 words in the two hours of writing, which isn't great, though while I did get some new ideas for breaking through I'm still at a fairly rough bit in writing.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I got to 13k today but I am still a bit behind. YAAAY writer's block. SEND HELP

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

cash crab posted:

I got to 13k today but I am still a bit behind. YAAAY writer's block. SEND HELP

Do you want some Anarchists? I have Anarchists you can borrow.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I've got myself to about 22,000. If I can get past 30 I'll have set a new personal best. Pretty sure I'm going to make it this time but I'm also certain that it'll be nowhere near done by 50,000 words. Probably not even in one book, cause it hasn't really started yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Ironsoviet posted:

I've got myself to about 22,000. If I can get past 30 I'll have set a new personal best. Pretty sure I'm going to make it this time but I'm also certain that it'll be nowhere near done by 50,000 words. Probably not even in one book, cause it hasn't really started yet.

Nice work!

Be careful though, I had that mentality the year before last, and while I did ultimately finish the 50k commitment for November, I was left feeling like I hadn't really even gotten to the part of the story I'd wanted to tell. If I could have redone it, I probably would have just cut out 2/3 of what my November manuscript included and gone straight for the meat of the story (which, because I was ok with it being "too long for 50k", I didn't even start touching on until the last week of November).

• Locked thread