Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Hello everyone, I'm The T! I think board games are pretty rad. From Eurogames, to traditional games, to Ameritrash, to CCGs, to the new wave of modern games, to even weird indie stuff, I'll try almost anything. So I decided, Tabletop Simulator is pretty dang neat, why don't I get a bunch of my friends together and do just that?

The general idea for most games will be to get as many people as possible who don't know the game, the first time in, to bring new players into games they never would have tried before! That said, we won't be playing every game only once. We'd love to return to games, adding in expansions or playing variants, based on what interests us! And of course, you all out there are free to suggest any games, expansions, or variants you think we should play! I'm not opposed to building my own modules based on user requests or my own whims. And if you own a game and have the ability to scan it in, I'd be glad to work with you on building a module.

Additionally, it doesn't just have to be us who plays! If you're cool, interesting, and not totally obnoxious, feel free to post your Skype info here and we may get in touch to invite users. Or organize groups yourself and play! If you wanna be in our videos, though, you will need to be able to record in 720p, 60 FPS, in not poo poo video quality. Even if my friends can't......

So thank you for joining us as we take this long, curious look at every single board game imaginable.

THE CAST, sorted by frequency of appearances:
The T (Twitter | YouTube)
majormonotone (Twitter | YouTube)
Manic X (YouTube)
64bitrobot (Twitch)
Jacobus Spades (Twitter | YouTube)
Ax448 [aka SubNat] (Twitter | YouTube)
Benach (Twitter)
FlamingRok
GameboyHero (Twitter | YouTube)
TheMcD
curiousCat (Twitter)
El Generico (YouTube)
ewie (aka Istvun)
Keiya
Maximum Tomfoolery
ScurvyKip (Twitter | YouTube)

THE GAMES

The very first game was definitely a test run; it went pretty rocky and had a few awkward moments but overall I think it's enjoyable. Still, if it feels too slow to you or if you're just not into it, feel free to skip it and we'll see you at the next game! With that said, let's get this show on the road:

BGG Link | Module (Modified: removed green pieces and replaced with orange, to match base game.)
1995 | Euro | Klaus Tuber | Kosmos
"In Catan (formerly The Settlers of Catan), players try to be the dominant force on the island of Catan by building settlements, cities, and roads. On each turn dice are rolled to determine what resources the island produces. Players collect these resources (cards)—wood, grain, brick, sheep, or stone—to build up their civilizations to get to 10 victory points and win the game."

BGG Link | Module (plus Custom paper figures by me)
2004 | Thematic | Bruce Glassco, et al. | Avalon Hill
"Betrayal at House on the Hill quickly builds suspense and excitement as players explore a haunted mansion of their own design, encountering spirits and frightening omens that foretell their fate. [...] Secretly, one of the characters betrays the rest of the party, and the innocent members of the party must defeat the traitor in their midst before it’s too late!"

Session 1: The Trial
Session 2: The Rescue of Sir Ragnar
Session 2.22: The Frozen Horror: Xanon Pass (64bitrobot Solo Session)
Session 3: Melar's Maze
BGG Link | Module (modified by Ax448)
1989 | Thematic | Stephen Baker | Milton Bradley
"HeroQuest is Milton Bradley's approach to a Dungeons & Dragons-style adventure game. One player acts as game master, revealing the maze-like dungeon piecemeal as the players wander. Up to four other players take on a character (wizard, elf, dwarf, or barbarian) and venture forth into dungeons on fantasy quests."

Checkers | c. 1150 | Abstract
Chess | c. 1475 | Abstract
Backgammon | c. 3000 BCE | Abstract
Hive | Module | 2001 | Abstract | John Yianni | Gen42 Games

BGG Link | Module (created by me!!)
2000 | Euro | Klaus-Jürgen Wrede | Hans im Glück
"Carcassonne is a tile-placement game in which the players draw and place a tile with a piece of southern French landscape on it. The tile might feature a city, a road, a cloister, grassland or some combination thereof, and it must be placed adjacent to tiles that have already been played. [...] Having placed a tile, the player can then decide to place one of his meeples on one of the areas on it. [...] When that area is complete, that meeple scores points for its owner."

BGG Link | Module
2014 | Thematic | Christophe Raimbault | Ludonaute
"In Colt Express, you play a bandit robbing a train at the same time as other bandits, and your goal is to become the richest outlaw of the Old West. [During a turn,] Each player plays 2-5 action cards on a common pile[... Then] The action cards are carried out in the order they were played, with a player's best laid plans possibly not panning out due to mistakes and oversights!"

BGG Link | Bulbapedia article | Module (for playmat, tokens) (Hi-Res card scans taken from elsewhere)
1996 | Collectible Card Game | Takumi Akabane, Kouichi Ooyama, Akihiko Miura | Media Factory, Wizards of the Coast
"The object of the game is to play your Pokémon cards, that represent different creatures, to battle against each other. The first player to "knock out" (defeat) six opposing Pokémon wins the game. You play the game with a deck of sixty cards that represent your Pokémon, as well as Trainer cards and Energy cards. Trainer cards affect the game, players or Pokémon in different ways, most of them temporary, while Energy cards act as the resources in the game."

2000 | Abstract | Bernard Tavitian | Alary Games
"Blokus is an abstract strategy game with transparent, Tetris-shaped, colored pieces that players are trying to play onto the board. The only caveat to placing a piece is that it may not lie adjacent to your other pieces, but instead must be placed touching at least one corner of your pieces already on the board."

2009 | Economic | Vlaada Chvátil | Czech Games Edition
"In Dungeon Lords, you are an evil dungeonlord who is trying to build the best dungeon out there. You hire monsters, build rooms, buy traps and defeat the do-gooders who wish to bring you down."

-----------------------------

Special thanks to Mastigophoran for recoding the talky indicator script so that it now supports transparencies, and thanks to our own Jacobus Spades for drawing the adorable pawn and camera icons!

The T fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

GeekLists:
The Official GeekList for Let's Play Tabletop Simulator! [Includes both posted videos and future planned videos]
The Games People Have Suggested List!

Recording Guide

Things I'm looking for, to make modules with:
Title deeds from Monopoly: The Mega Edition

Contact me through PM or make a post here with some other way to get in touch with you, if you access to anything above!

The T fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 4, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, so I just watched some people playing a board game at about 2:30 AM when I really should be sleeping. Guess you guys are doing something right.

It does help that you're playing Catan, my favorite board game. I have to say, you guys are being incredibly gracious when it comes to trading. Just straight one for one swaps all the time. Whenever I played, people would make sure they got a 2:1 return on their stuff, at least before the harbors come into play, and god forbid you want some brick or ore and you don't have a tile to get some from.

The T
May 29, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Alright, so I just watched some people playing a board game at about 2:30 AM when I really should be sleeping. Guess you guys are doing something right.

It does help that you're playing Catan, my favorite board game. I have to say, you guys are being incredibly gracious when it comes to trading. Just straight one for one swaps all the time. Whenever I played, people would make sure they got a 2:1 return on their stuff, at least before the harbors come into play, and god forbid you want some brick or ore and you don't have a tile to get some from.

Yeah, 2 of the players were brand new, and I've never been super cut throat about the game (I imagine Kip neither), so we don't get into that much. Maybe in the future, who knows.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

TheMcD posted:

My friends and I used to trade futures when we played, since we spent most of the time it was more an excuse to hang out and drink than to try to win. Drove another pair of friends insane when they played with us, since they were both more cut throat and having three folks basically try to draft the Constitution each time they played made them foam at the mouth, especially since we tended to win against them.

And then the latest errata came out and they apparently explicitly nixed trading futures because people hate fun.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What's trading futures? Making trades based on promising to give resources you don't have yet once you get them?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Mzbundifund posted:

What's trading futures? Making trades based on promising to give resources you don't have yet once you get them?

Yeah, that's about the gist of it. Since there was no technical limit on just what you could do in negotiations, you could do all sorts of crazy poo poo. Imagine "Give me the resources I need to build a settlement there and I'll give you 50% of the resources I get over the next two rolls" or some stuff like that, and then somebody rolls a seven and you have to give up resources and you spend half an hour arguing that you losing resources (a negative gain) means that your trading partner should make up 50% of the loss to you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm surprised it's taken so long for there to be a general "Let's Play Board Games" thread. There's a ton of great games out there especially these days and the entire hobby in general deserves more exposure. I've met a ton of great people and made many fantastic friends doing this hobby.

Board games are loving great and everyone should play them.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
The view is sometimes a bit .. washed out? Too much bloom? Not too sure on the actual technical reason for what's happening, but a lot of it has gone too bright as to be easily visible.
It seems mitigated a bit when the angle is changed downward, so maybe it's just the ambient lighting is set a bit high too

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

I'm surprised it's taken so long for there to be a general "Let's Play Board Games" thread. There's a ton of great games out there especially these days and the entire hobby in general deserves more exposure. I've met a ton of great people and made many fantastic friends doing this hobby.
There used to be a lot of boardgame threads (especially Diplomacy), at some point they got exiled to Traditional Gaming or whatever their lovely corner of Hell is called. This looks fun, though.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Well, this video taught me about a game that I've often heard mentioned, but had no idea how it was played. So I'd say this thread is already a success from my perspective. :)

Ooh, I can look at the Steam workshop for Tabletop Simulator. And some dork has put the Order of the Stick board game on this thing. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

All that spinning made me nauseous. Other than that it was pretty entertaining.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

anilEhilated posted:

There used to be a lot of boardgame threads (especially Diplomacy), at some point they got exiled to Traditional Gaming or whatever their lovely corner of Hell is called. This looks fun, though.

Those were essentially play-by-posts though just and since there's already a forum for those they got moved there. I was talking more "people showing off board games" than play-by-post. There's a lot of board games that don't work quite as well in play-by-post and threads like these are a great way to show them off.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think walking a couple of people through the game live helped with the video and set it up well. It also means that the people that have played the game gave some advice on what to look out and what to do.

I'm halfway through and the trading has been surprisingly nice. Nobody seems to be really pushing for aggressive trades or anything like that, haha.

The T
May 29, 2010

Ahhh, thanks so much for all the love everyone! I wasn't sure how this would be received, but I'm glad it's going pretty well. I'll definitely take all this advice to heart for future recording sessions. :)

citybeatnik posted:

trade futures

Yeah, I have absolutely no problem with house rules like this, even though I tend to be a bit of a rule stickler. One rule I would enforce, though, is that promises are unenforceable; if someone promises you something on a later turn, they're not obligated to hold up their end of the bargain. That's even in that official ruling.

FluffySquirrel posted:

The view is sometimes a bit .. washed out? Too much bloom?

Yeah, I think we comment on that in a later part... the background you choose for the game world affects the lighting, and so the outside field one, does have a bit of bloom. I didn't think it was *too* bad so I didn't try making any color corrections to it, but we'll probably not use the field one as much in the future...

Yapping Eevee posted:

Well, this video taught me about a game that I've often heard mentioned, but had no idea how it was played. So I'd say this thread is already a success from my perspective. :)

Artelier posted:

I think walking a couple of people through the game live helped with the video and set it up well. It also means that the people that have played the game gave some advice on what to look out and what to do.

Ahhh thanks! I was definitely going for that, and I'm glad it was effective since I was worried I was jumping around stuff a lot. I tried to bring stuff up in a way that was relevant, but not in a way where players would be screwed over by not having had that information.

Poil posted:

All that spinning made me nauseous.

Ahhh yeah... that was mostly JSpades... probably doesn't help that his video was the only one in 30 FPS, while everyone else recorded in 60. I usually cut to JSpades when he was doing something funny though, as he usually helped filled the dead air in that regard so I didn't have to edit it out. At the same time, yeah, it's a bit much...

Artelier posted:

I'm halfway through and the trading has been surprisingly nice. Nobody seems to be really pushing for aggressive trades or anything like that, haha.

Yeah, we really don't get too heavy on that. At most it's, outright refusing to trade with the person in the lead. Ports also tend to help give people options to avoid aggressive trades, though.

Anyway, thank you all for watching!! Definitely feel free to post any board games you'd be interested in seeing us playing, even if they're not on the Workshop, we'll try to work stuff out and I definitely plan to make a few modules. :D

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Poil posted:

All that spinning made me nauseous.

Truly this is my proudest moment.

The T
May 29, 2010

Part 2

In which we discover the Robber, have video troubles, and have absolutely no luck with rolls.

The T
May 29, 2010

Part 3

In which we have a lot of bad rolls, and then some good rolls, and things start to get interesting.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's really interesting to see how the tabletop simulator works. In the end of it, complaining about misaligned pieces is just about as real as it gets. As for Catan, I'd always wanted to play it. It seems a lot easier to understand than I had thought. Getting to watch it played by new players and some with experience helps move things along nicely. Can't wait to see what other games you can play on this.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Eldritch Horror's a fun one I play with friends frequently, Skype-assisted.

The T
May 29, 2010

Warmal posted:

It's really interesting to see how the tabletop simulator works. In the end of it, complaining about misaligned pieces is just about as real as it gets. As for Catan, I'd always wanted to play it. It seems a lot easier to understand than I had thought. Getting to watch it played by new players and some with experience helps move things along nicely. Can't wait to see what other games you can play on this.

I'm so glad!! This is exactly what I was going for, to give viewers a chance to also experience the game for the first time! Even if there are parts of the LP where we are uncertainly fumbling through the rules...

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Eldritch Horror's a fun one I play with friends frequently, Skype-assisted.

This sounds neat (but also has a real long estimated play time!!). We played a game with a similar theme that is probably completely different, Betrayal at House on the Hill, which will be our 2nd game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

The T posted:

This sounds neat (but also has a real long estimated play time!!). We played a game with a similar theme that is probably completely different, Betrayal at House on the Hill, which will be our 2nd game.

Mansions of Madness is sort of a halfway between Arkham/Eldritch Horror and Betrayal but I doubt there's a mod for it at the moment.

The T
May 29, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

Mansions of Madness is sort of a halfway between Arkham/Eldritch Horror and Betrayal but I doubt there's a mod for it at the moment.

You'd be surprised!

And even if there wasn't, if anyone in the thread owns a game and a scanner, me and my friends are definitely up to making modules. We made a complete Carcassonne (with all expansions) just by using scans found online.

We have the next game recorded and the 3rd game chosen, but in a few weeks I might post a poll with a few game ideas to decide what we'll play after that. Feel free to offer up more suggestions!!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

The T posted:

You'd be surprised!

And even if there wasn't, if anyone in the thread owns a game and a scanner, me and my friends are definitely up to making modules. We made a complete Carcassonne (with all expansions) just by using scans found online.

We have the next game recorded and the 3rd game chosen, but in a few weeks I might post a poll with a few game ideas to decide what we'll play after that. Feel free to offer up more suggestions!!

A few suggestions then - Ankh Morpork for the theme (I didn't play enough to really decide if I like the game itself), Thurn & Taxis for the gameplay (it's about the German post office or something like that, but I promise it's great!), and uh... 3 games with the word Galaxy in them - Galaxy Trucker (I want to see the chaos!), and Race for the Galaxy or Roll for the Galaxy (I'm interested in getting either or both and would love to see if a bunch of goons will enjoy them).

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner, or maybe I'd have helped you guys make a Lagoon: Land of Druids module to play.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I need that Betrayal mod yesterday. My friends and I all own the game, but we now live a few hours apart, so it's a little disappointing that we can't play it together.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Red Dragon Inn is an old commonly played favorite with my friends.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I'll be following this thread! I'm a pretty big fan of tabletop games and think tabletop simulator is a pretty cool thing.

The T posted:

Betrayal at House on the Hill

Yes please!

64bitrobot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 20, 2015

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

64bitrobot posted:

I'll be following this thread! I'm a pretty big fan of tabletop games and think tabletop simulator is a pretty cool thing.

Yes please!

don't get too excited cause I'm pretty sure they hosed up all the rules :ssh: (it'll probably still be funny though.)

obviously it's because I wasn't there to keep them in line

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

majormonotone posted:

don't get too excited cause I'm pretty sure they hosed up all the rules :ssh: (it'll probably still be funny though.)

obviously it's because I wasn't there to keep them in line

I've been getting better at not getting upset about people playing board games on the internet getting the rules wrong. Better, not perfect. I'll live. Hopefully.

I admit there's a lot of confusing rules to get wrong for that game.

The T
May 29, 2010

Without spoiling too much, there were only a few things we messed up on, several of them were caught during the game, and there was one mechanic that we didn't fully read up on to figure out if we were doing it right (and actually, I still haven't). Overall, the game went pretty ok! Dragged on a bit though.

We definitely plan to play it again at some point, and the 2nd time should go a bit smoother. :v:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
There is no board game I love more than Dungeon Lords, and I want to watch the inevitable spiral of despair that it will suck someone into.

Such a great worker placement.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

The T posted:

Without spoiling too much, there were only a few things we messed up on, several of them were caught during the game, and there was one mechanic that we didn't fully read up on to figure out if we were doing it right (and actually, I still haven't). Overall, the game went pretty ok! Dragged on a bit though.

We definitely plan to play it again at some point, and the 2nd time should go a bit smoother. :v:

Oh good. I wonder if I know what mechanic you might be mentioning. Also I was going to ask if you were looking for others to join, but I saw it mentioned in the OP. I am pretty confident I can record at 720x60fps, so I shall post my skype info! I know a bit about a a number of games, but there's plenty I haven't played, as a benefit though, I'm really good at reading the rules of games, if you're looking to add someone at some point.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
Dude, board games are my jam and these videos are just fine.

I'd love to Skype chat. Skype name is: x_countryguy.

As for potentially being in the videos you would have to give me some step-by-step instructions about the set up you would recommend to make that happen. Only video LP I participated in was the Mega Man V race back in the day.

The T
May 29, 2010

Part 4

In which I am uptight and ruin my friends' fun over, and over, and over again.

Also as an aside if you like me and my dumb videos, I stream once a week and post archives on my YouTube channel! Check it out and join me sometime!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Go hunt out Battlestar Galactica. We've got a Goon group plays a shittonne of Tabletop and we can confirm it is good.

e: fun fact: hit r when you have dice selected to just roll them in place. Good if lagged.

The T
May 29, 2010

Obliterati posted:

Go hunt out Battlestar Galactica. We've got a Goon group plays a shittonne of Tabletop and we can confirm it is good.

Even if I've never seen any of Battlestar Galactica? Then again, I have heard good things about the game, and I think at least one person in the group has watched it...

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The T posted:

Even if I've never seen any of Battlestar Galactica? Then again, I have heard good things about the game, and I think at least one person in the group has watched it...

I watched the original movie

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

The T posted:

I mean it's got spoilers if you care about that, but otherwise it should play fine. We had a mix of familiar and not familiar with the series and it went well.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Battlestar Galactica is a good game even if you do not know anything about the show. It is one of my favourite games and I didn't know what a battlestar was when I started playing it.

The Base game is Season 1, and each expansion is an additional TV season, so even if you end up caring about spoilers because You Might Watch It One Day, you are only spoiling season 1 with the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Is it possible to play galaxy trucker? You should play galaxy trucker.

• Locked thread