Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!
I will join for any Monopoly game.

I am balls to the walls in Monopoly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

If you are not yet planning on it, you guys should play some Ticket to Ride (although the placement of all the trains may be a bit tedious with TableTop Simulator). It's a nice and easy game to learn and does not take too long to play.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It also naturally lends itself to table flipping.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Can't do Ticket to Ride in TTS because Days of Wonder is extremely vigilant with their copyright. I think we tried to play with the official PC version of the game but it sucks

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

majormonotone posted:

Can't do Ticket to Ride in TTS because Days of Wonder is extremely vigilant with their copyright. I think we tried to play with the official PC version of the game but it sucks

It would be neat if Days of Wonder worked with the TTS devs to make Ticket to Ride one of the DLCs though. Apparently they're in talks with quite a few publishers, but it's slow going implementing them since they're only 2 people working on the game/DLC.

However, doubtful since they already have a presence on steam with their extremely bad Pc games.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Double posting, sure, but if anyone's interested in picking the game up:
https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/tabletop-simulator/286160

It's 40% off at indiegala for the weekend, it'll activate on steam, so don't worry about that.

I highly reccomend all y'all getting it.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

SubNat posted:

Double posting, sure, but if anyone's interested in picking the game up:
https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/tabletop-simulator/286160

It's 40% off at indiegala for the weekend, it'll activate on steam, so don't worry about that.

I highly reccomend all y'all getting it.

If there is in fact, a Monopoly module, I'll pick it up.
I want some competitive property trading and friendship shattering building

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

If there is in fact, a Monopoly module, I'll pick it up.
I want some competitive property trading and friendship shattering building

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=286160&searchtext=monopoly&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=home ?
http://www.nexusmods.com/tabletopsimulator/mods/searchresults/ ?

Pick your poison:

Monopoly Deluxe 93(German)? Minecraft Monopoly? Borderlands 2 Monopoly? Sonic Monopoly?

e: Making your own mods as well is pretty easy honestly, if you either have a scanner, or want to make your own thing.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 7, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What about goon monopoly with streets named after subforums?

Can you play Spank the Monkey with this board game simulator thing?

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

SubNat posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=286160&searchtext=monopoly&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=home ?
http://www.nexusmods.com/tabletopsimulator/mods/searchresults/ ?

Pick your poison:

Monopoly Deluxe 93(German)? Minecraft Monopoly? Borderlands 2 Monopoly? Sonic Monopoly?

e: Making your own mods as well is pretty easy honestly, if you either have a scanner, or want to make your own thing.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=503549425 This one looks good.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Poil posted:

Can you play Spank the Monkey with this board game simulator thing?

This.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Pandemic is a really good cooperative game, too. Up to four players work together to rid the world of at least one if not more deadly disease trying to gently caress up the world.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

SubNat posted:

It really is. The modding tools for the game basically assume (and rightfully so for the most part) that the vast majority of the pieces you'll need in a board game are either cards or boards and gives you tools to basically make a giant print sheet that will automatically cut up your pieces for you. So for example if you wanted to build a themed Monopoly, you would create the board, then a sheet with all the properties on it and tell the game to cut them up into pieces of x by y size. Same with money. The hardest part is making custom models really. There's even a video tutorial by the devs for any aspiring board game designers to build their very own Huniepop TCG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ56RjFqnj4

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

E4C85D38 posted:

Pandemic is a really good cooperative game, too. Up to four players work together to rid the world of at least one if not more deadly disease trying to gently caress up the world.

The biggest complaint I've heard about Pandemic is quarterbacking. Having played it I can confirm. The game can settle into one person calling the shots and everyone else just playing along until the card draws screw you. It might be better with some of the expansions, I know there's one that has a fifth player as a bioterrorist screwing over the rest of the players.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

majormonotone posted:

This doesn't mean we can't do it, just that it can't be uploaded to the workshop. We'd just have to make our own version of it or find a version off the Workshop someone made, which is totally doable and might happen! No in-motion plans at the moment though.

Poil posted:

We definitely have plans for Monopoly, although not exactly this.

The T fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 8, 2015

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dscruffy1 posted:

The biggest complaint I've heard about Pandemic is quarterbacking. Having played it I can confirm. The game can settle into one person calling the shots and everyone else just playing along until the card draws screw you. It might be better with some of the expansions, I know there's one that has a fifth player as a bioterrorist screwing over the rest of the players.

Quarterbacking is probably the worst thing about it and probably the only reason I didn't enjoy the game. We still lost too, which was hilarious. It's just a matter of letting people make their own decisions if they want too, even if it might not be optimal.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

SaffronKit posted:

Quarterbacking is probably the worst thing about it and probably the only reason I didn't enjoy the game. We still lost too, which was hilarious. It's just a matter of letting people make their own decisions if they want too, even if it might not be optimal.

The game is hard as hell, which is cool. But yeah, quarterbacking is definitely a problem with it. Though I do want to try pandemic legacies one of these days...

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
Quarterbacking is a thing in most co-op board games which is why most of them just aren't that fun. I like Betrayal though.

As for a suggestion, Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre is fun and the cards are fun to look at. Fairly easy to figure out, too.

Also seconding Red Dragon Inn.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Surely there's an Arkham Horror mod by now just so you can look at all the pieces there on the table and flip it.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Orv posted:

Surely there's an Arkham Horror mod by now just so you can look at all the pieces there on the table and flip it.

There is and I have.

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey everyone. My power supply on my main computer suddenly stopped working; no idea if the issue is the power supply, or the motherboard not sending a signal, or what. I'm going to take it someplace to be looked at tomorrow, try another PSU, etc., since the thing's out of warranty anyway.

But needless to say, I won't be able to get Friday's update up in time, because of this. Wish me the best of luck.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, since T is out of the picture for the while, I guess I can start post this early, so that there's still something to watch.
Behold, heroes! I, the most impractical, obtuse and cackling ZARGON shall be your host for the night!

1989 | Thematic | Stephen Baker | Milton Bradley
BGG Link, if you want to read up on it.
Link to the module we're using(I have tweaked the one we're using a bit though.)

HeroQuest is in my opinion a pretty fun and light dungeoncrawl game. The rules are simple and easy to get into, games aren't too long, and despite the characters not having levels, it still keeps a decent sense of progression between sessions.
The game is mediated and controlled by the foul wizard ZARDOZ ZARGON, who is responsible for placing out the dungeons as the players explore, controlling enemies in combat, and generally provides some extra flavour.
And while the game allows ZARGON to make their own cunning and devious dungeons, it also ships with 14 set Quests, with a plot thread going through them. ( There are a few expansions which add more enemies, more quests, and more equipment/skills. )

All in all, it's a nice, pretty casual game with magic, mysteries, strategies, cooperation, and empty treasure chests, and I've always thought it was a pity it's not more popular or well known.
( Apparently there were plans for a 25th anniversary edition for December, 2014. But it looks like that crashed and burned. )
Despite that, the game is still well loved, and I've seen atleast 2 different projects on Steam Workshop where people are making updated rules, and overhauling the game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I could very much get behind D&D encounters being described more like "you enter the room and encounter two fuckfaces".

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, I feel like it's an apt description. My brain apparently agrees since it managed to forget the word "orc", somehow.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Looking forwards to our Quest being done! Our quest that involved chasing Ser Cluck aimlessly.

Manic X fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 16, 2015

The T
May 29, 2010

Ssssh! You don't need to spoil stuff many episodes from now!!!!

The T
May 29, 2010

Me and majormonotone are going to play some abstract tabletop games on my stream, and I'll probably post the archive here but feel free to come yell at us here while we do!

http://www.hitbox.tv/TheT113

Archive sometime!

The T fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 18, 2015

The T
May 29, 2010

Checkers | c. 1150 | Abstract
Chess | c. 1475 | Abstract
Backgammon | c. 3000 BCE | Abstract
Hive | Module | 2001 | Abstract | Gen42 Games | John Yianni

I planned to do a stream today (as I do every Tuesday! Follow today!) but things went very bad, so we did a super impromptu switch over to Tabletop Simulator. It actually turned out mostly okay; a little dry on commentary in places, but it was a pretty enjoyable time. Maybe not everyone's thing, but feel free to check it out!

And that said, this video doesn't preclude us from doing more things with these games in the future if we decide to!

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Backgammon sucks

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

S'up mortals, Zargon here.
Episode 2 of Heroquest is up.

Link to the module we're using(I have tweaked the one we're using a bit though.)

Apart from this, I've been trying out a slightly different way of handling audio for this, compared to the sessions T have made.
Aka, Ambient + some music tweaked to what's happening, compared to music tracks going on regularly through the episodes.

So, what do you guys think? Does it work? Basically I'd love getting some feedback, if you guys have suggestions on how this stuff should be presented.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

SubNat posted:

S'up mortals, Zargon here.
Episode 2 of Heroquest is up.

Do you figure out later that the Guardian mummy is a completely different monster and appears in a different room? Verag really is a gargoyle.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

whitehelm posted:

Do you figure out later that the Guardian mummy is a completely different monster and appears in a different room? Verag really is a gargoyle.

Yes. :doh: Yes, I did.

I just mixed it up, since in the pdf I had the mummy and Gargoyle icons were a bit too alike. Verag the not-gargoyle became Verag the Gargoyle before anyone engaged with him though.
For the next session I ended up setting up everything in advance, with hidden areas, and that went way smoother / prevented fuckups like that. It also started quite a bit faster because everyone was up to speed immediately, which was pretty nice.

That mummy was in a different place in the dungeon, as I'm sure you're aware.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

It's not a board game video without somebody loving up rules. That's like a physical constant or something.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

I'm actually kind of disappointed Tabletop Simulator just gives you reasonably playable game setups. I was hoping there would be pieces fumbling around everywhere. At least this thread continues the time-honored tradition of every single chess video having abysmal players, between majormonotone missing easy mates (earliest I believe at this move with Qg4+, then either ...Kh7 ~ Qg6+, Kh8 ~ Be5+, Rf6 ~ Bxf6++ or ...Kh8 ~ Be5+, Kh7 ~ Qg7++) and the T cursing the knight that he could capture for free since the turn before he mentioned "that delicious knight," and neither player understsanding how to use Queens at all.

Also, Pawn+Bishop is (usually) enough to be able to win the game, though that position was definitely lost.

I wish it was possible for there to be Mahjong but that would require four people who know the rules of Mahjong, and at least one person who understands scoring. Which is impossible unless there was an automated scoring system in place.

Benach fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 21, 2015

The T
May 29, 2010

Yeah, I'm definitely not good at Chess, but this was a poor showing even for me...

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I am also not good at chess, but not as bad as The T, apparently.

The T
May 29, 2010

Well, might as well shamelessly plug myself here.

I stream on Tuesday nights. Help me decide what to stream tomorrow.

Betrayal updates will return after HeroQuest session 1 ends. Sorry about the delay. Still overwhelmed with school stuff; but still wanna take a break to stream tomorrow, you know? So hope to see some of you there.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Episode 3 is now up for your viewing displeasure.
Love, Zargon.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

A 7 day Doublepost? Easily as evil as Zargon.

And that's a wrap for this game of HeroQuest! I hope you guys enjoyed it, despite us fumbling around so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
In case anyone is wondering, my dice luck doesn't get any better in future sessions, either.

• Locked thread