Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If waves are big enough, any ship can eventually get sunk by unlucky waves hitting from angles and flooding lower decks. If they don't have power they can't pump the water out and if it's a hurricane they can't bail into the ocean because lol. So basically the ship probably sunk with everyone on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Schweinhund posted:

why were they even on a ship in 2015, take a plane. They're probably drunken idiots who tipped the boat over.

because planes never disappear under mysterious circumstances either lol

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I await chinatown's take on the situation

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Crusty Nutsack posted:

where's Chinatown? he'll know

he's in Berlin afaik

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Toadvine posted:

I thought they solved this one already: methane vents in the ocean floor dissipate gas to the surface, rendering buoyant objects less buoyant aka sunk boats

actually the answer was even simpler: the people who popularized the whole "Bermuda Triangle" thing were whackjobs who didn't know poo poo from shinola and the stretch of ocean they were raving about is no more dangerous statistically than any other stretch of ocean around the world. Hell, a lot of the ships that get claimed to have vanished mysteriously were either not even in the so-called triangle to begin with or were actually right in the path of heavy storms or hurricanes.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The best comedy of the last few years was the History 'mockumentary' about the Vile Vortices.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

[img Locke slowly smiling revealing an orange rind]

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
there were 33 people aboard that ship, but that newscaster implied I only should give a poo poo about 28 of them

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

honestly? they're probably shipwrecked on an island that exists outside of time and is populated by immortal survivors (the island won't let you die) from various ship and plane wrecks throughout history. Probably some dinosaurs too which, because they were the original inhabitants of the island when it fell out of time, CAN kill you.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
we can find water on mars, but we cant 'find' a ship, in the water. wake up people

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
why do you need 33 people to drive a boat. is it a viking ship or some poo poo. This has to be some kind of insurance scam.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Crusty Nutsack posted:

where's Chinatown? he'll know

forget it, jake

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

lol

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I've been waiting so long for someone to make that joke

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I've been waiting so long for someone to make that joke

2day is the day all yr dreams cum tru,, ANIME IS BLOOD.

naem
May 29, 2011

http://youtu.be/o8T095mFdW8

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i hope they find it because i have a shipping container full of rubber buttholes i ordered from china

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
My credentials: have a 100 ton coast guard captains license, if you add it up I've spent like 6 months boating in the Bermuda Triangle. Also a wreck diver, almost all of which are in the triangle.

Hot take: that's a very large and very busy area of ocean. If they got themselves caught in the hurricane it's perfectly reasonable that they went down.. The strange thing to me is even if they lost power, purpolsion, etc they should have an EPIRB or three to light up and give their position. The ocean is real big y'all, and without a precise location the coast guard has to get a bit lucky. Before losing contact the crew also reported a 15 degree list and that they were taking on water. No maneuvering and you're listing hard and taking on water? GG

Conclusion: Aliens from forward operating base Atlantis.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

lonesomedwarf posted:

i mean that i, too fell into youre butt not that they also fell into my butt but lol can you imagine if thye were in both our butts at the same time l

The Butt-muda triangle.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Bermuda Triangle is such bullshit because it's so loving huge so no poo poo a ship is gonna 'disappear' in it every once in a while. Coincidentally during a hurricane.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Schweinhund posted:

why do you need 33 people to drive a boat. is it a viking ship or some poo poo. This has to be some kind of insurance scam.

off the top of my head captain, first mate, people for communication and navigation, a cook, some kind of nurse/doctor maybe? and dudes for the engine room and you'd need at least a day crew and night crew

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
"we're gonna need a bigger boat."
- wiseguy deckhand, watching the approaching hurricane that will sink his boat, killign him

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Ya know, it's almost like ships should avoid sailing through hurricanes, but of course that makes sense and costs money. so gently caress it, take the chance.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I sank the boat because I had a few storage containers packed with dead hookers on it

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Why were these idiots sailing into a category 4 hurricane in the first place?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

actually the answer was even simpler: the people who popularized the whole "Bermuda Triangle" thing were whackjobs who didn't know poo poo from shinola and the stretch of ocean they were raving about is no more dangerous statistically than any other stretch of ocean around the world. Hell, a lot of the ships that get claimed to have vanished mysteriously were either not even in the so-called triangle to begin with or were actually right in the path of heavy storms or hurricanes.
breamuda trangle can't malt stale bemes, imvo

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

spasticColon posted:

Why were these idiots sailing into a category 4 hurricane in the first place?
you can navigate around a storm like that but if it takes an unexpected turn or something on your boat goes wrong.... Well you try to get to the "safest" quadrant of the 'cane and angle your bow properly into the seas. If you are in that situation and lose maneuvering, then start listing and taking on water you are goatfucked. The seas will likely orient the ship to where it's already flooding and it just compounds until death is very certain. My main question is where is the EPIRB from the lifeboats? It suggests that they did not have time to abandon ship

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

They had five extras working on stuff, 28 is a large crew still, but a steamer has extras.

Captain, three mates
Chief engineer and three watch standing engineers
Three watch oilers because it's a steamship.
Three man galley crew.

Fourteen right there, then 6 ABs or so, twenty
Maybe some wipers, a reefer man, electrician, a second second or third assistant, some ordinary seamen, who knows.

Cadets.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
The Bermuda Woodblock

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I think it might be that hurricane, OP.

Or maybe Cthulhu, or Atlantis, or Atlantians riding a Cthulhu.

loving cthulhus

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shovelbum posted:

They had five extras working on stuff, 28 is a large crew still, but a steamer has extras.

Captain, three mates
Three man galley crew.

Maybe some wipers, a reefer man, electrician, a second second or third assistant, some ordinary seamen, who knows.

Cadets.

Reefer man, heh.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Watch, now they're going to find that loving plane. The second you stop looking for something...

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Angela Christine posted:

Reefer man, heh.

nice

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

shovelbum posted:

Captain, three mates
Three man galley crew.

Cadets.

reefer man is a hateful term for jamaican seamen

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
captain is banging on locked cabin screaming: JAMAICAN SEAMEN

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

SAN FERNANDO VALLEY - 36 HOURS AGO

VIVID ENTERTAINMENT SECRETARY: Mr. Hirsch? I've been receiving a series of emails from pretty much every director we've ever worked with. They're all asking us if we've seen the news lately, and quite a few contain puns about sailors, ships, pirates, tropical locations, and the word "triangle".

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Admittedly there are many "experts" who attribute the disappearance to certain conveniently timed and not yet completed understood atmospheric phenomena. But could it have been aliens?

What you thought was the bermuda triangle was merely the planet venus

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bishop posted:

you can navigate around a storm like that but if it takes an unexpected turn or something on your boat goes wrong.... Well you try to get to the "safest" quadrant of the 'cane and angle your bow properly into the seas. If you are in that situation and lose maneuvering, then start listing and taking on water you are goatfucked. The seas will likely orient the ship to where it's already flooding and it just compounds until death is very certain. My main question is where is the EPIRB from the lifeboats? It suggests that they did not have time to abandon ship

Already listing 15 degrees when they called in and no power? Likely rolled the bitch right over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

quakster posted:

breamuda trangle can't malt stale memes, imvo

• Locked thread