Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Will a virgin please explain this to us sex havers

From now on, you will have to pay a monthly fee for your games to have physics if they use havok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

cram me sideways posted:

you know one day they're going to make you pay a flat monthly fee for "the cloud" just like how university charges new students for their athletic centers even if they never have any intention of ever using or even going to it

Lmao look at this unhealthy putz

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

p. cool actually

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I don't know if Microsoft should unload its gaming poo poo on someone else and continue to be terrible, thus ensuring the Xbone and its descendants remain a runty brood, or spin it off and let it die a natural death

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i remember havok physics from the sonic two thousand and six

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I don't know if Microsoft should unload its gaming poo poo on someone else and continue to be terrible, thus ensuring the Xbone and its descendants remain a runty brood, or spin it off and let it die a natural death

micrsoft got more gelt than gringots; it can have two, three, sixteen lovely generations of gaming - it'll outlast sony, it'll outlast nintendo

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
today i learned that micro$hit bought havok physics. woah ., i tell you what

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

cram me sideways posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/2/9440505/microsoft-acquires-physics-middleware-maker-havok

the worst company IN THE WORLD now owns autismcraft and the thing that made the dead bodies in dark souls bounce around all funny like WHAT'S TO BE DONE
psot here if u still believe the dream of cloud computing; as if somehow it's actually possible and worthwhile to offload cycles onto a system thousands of miles away from your xbone

does that mean the next dark souls is gonna be on x-box?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

cram me sideways posted:

micrsoft got more gelt than gringots; it can have two, three, sixteen lovely generations of gaming - it'll outlast sony, it'll outlast nintendo

not if apple buys them out with like 0.01% of their obscene iPhone profit rainy day slush fund :mrgw:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

cram me sideways posted:

can nintendo get metal gear games?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like making the souls mans walk over a bug rock or a stair over and over to make them struggle really hard to snap their legs onto the steps in an almost human fashion.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

how many developers have been bought out to add to the feature set of directx over the years a lot i think

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I guess it'll mean Bethesda will suck MS's cock all the harder next time around

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I guess it'll mean Bethesda will suck MS's cock all the harder next time around

you love betheda

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

im excited for this and will go buy a physics card for it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I'm gonna play fallout 4 on the PS4

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Bear Suit posted:

im excited for this and will go buy a physics card for it

unironically hoping physics cards become a thing again. hope they have cool names like the "KINETIX MICRO DICK x420GTX"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Goatfather posted:

deus ex: invisible war used a very early version of havoc physics
i can't even remember any physics being in that game

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nefarious posted:

i don't know what you're talking about but i hope your dick falls off

bitch bois mad about video games including minecraft

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Robo Reagan posted:

minecraft isn't a game. games have endings

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Physics engines are stupid. Yeah a 5 ton slab of concrete wouldn't bounce if it hit the ground like that but it's the physics engine so it's cool and even though it looks stupid people think it's awesome because it's a physics engine. Who the hell cares if stuff is falling in real time? Man that box tipped over! Look at that rope going! Wooow! So awesome!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Borden posted:

Physics engines are stupid. Yeah a 5 ton slab of concrete wouldn't bounce if it hit the ground like that but it's the physics engine so it's cool and even though it looks stupid people think it's awesome because it's a physics engine. Who the hell cares if stuff is falling in real time? Man that box tipped over! Look at that rope going! Wooow! So awesome!

Robo Reagan posted:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

video games are cool i like video games probably pokemons is the best video games

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Borden posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGcvNoxNXA4

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Can Havok render theoretical physics or just the boring newton one ?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

hes good at physics i guess

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Decebal posted:

Can Havok render theoretical physics or just the boring newton one ?

game physics like explosions and boobs

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

minecraft isn't a game. games have endings

So is mgsv not a game then

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Flappy Birds will not be affected.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Remember thst physics card used for dedicated video game physics? lmao

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Gonna play fallout and tomb raider on my boner this holiday season even tho I have a ps4 because I'm diseased

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
lol what? who loving cares

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Sounds like this is making nerds mad. Nerd rage sustains me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VectorSigma posted:

how many developers have been bought out to add to the feature set of directx over the years a lot i think

Remember when nVidia bought PhYsX

• Locked thread